Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? (/showthread.php?tid=450)

Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - Sylian - 08-24-2010

First of all, if there already is a topic or discussion on this matter elsewhere, my apologies, could somebody redirect me there? Thanks Smile

I was wondering about magic and it's 'IC schools', specifically the different ways to summon forth magical forces of one kind or another, be they destructive, protective or otherwise. As we only have two magic classes so far, that would mean that there are only two 'schools' of magic from an OOC perspective. Simplified:

1. Conjuring/Elementalism: This school of magic trains it's user to observe the flow of the natural elements around them, shaping and bending them into manifest magic.

2. Thaumaturgy: This school teaches the user to call upon his or her own inherent energy/aether and shape this energy into magic.

Now, for RP, would there be various (sub)schools of magic to work with? Of course the final fantasy universe has the different mages like black, white, time, blue etc. These aren't in the game yet as actual classes, but would it still be acceptable to label your character as a black mage, for instance? The consequences of this being that ICly spoken, said character would mostly use the offensive elemental magic, for instance.

Also, would it also be acceptable to pick a slightly different approach to magic for one's character? For instance, are (almost) all mages (pseudo-)scholars who learn to use magic through intensive study and manipulation of the elements or aether, or could there be other ways to use magic, such as (simplified again):

Divine magic: A magic user who gains his power through his or her deity (priests, clerics, paladins) and faith (or at least claims to obtain his magic this way)

Druidism/Shamanism: Magic users who are more so in tune with the natural or spiritual world and take a totally different stance towards magic, holding high the greater balance of things (less manipulative for instance).

Necromancy/Forbidden/Dark etc.: Are there 'forbidden' kinds of magic, or kinds of magic that are generally frowned upon/not commonly accepted?

Now I realize that saying your character is a necromancer that can call forth the walking dead or the legions of hell is a little too far fetched, but a priestly type who focuses on healing and communication with his deity, for instance, seems acceptable? Or a conjurer who feels the elements are not something to manipulate, but to bond with and call upon, with an eye on nature and the greater balance (more like a shaman or druid type). Now I don't think said character would call themselves a druid in the FFXIV universe, but I'm using the term here so people know what I'm talking about.

What are your opinions or ideas on this matter? Thanks for the input Smile I'm just trying to get settled in the lore and world a bit, so I hope I'm not asking for the obvious Wink

Re: Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - Tadir - 08-24-2010

The Final Fantasy series in general is pretty varied when it comes to how people learn magic. Some do learn it through intense study, but a lot of their characters are mages. They were born that way. Look at Terra, Vivi, Rydia. They all were born with magic and that is how they are, whether they want it or not. Then there are those, like Celes or Kefka, who gain magic through a procedure.

So I think you can take as much freedom as you desire with your character's method of learning magic.

RPwise, I don't think Necrophi...MANCY! MANCY! NECROMANCY!

RPwise, I don't think Necromancy is out of the question. In almost every ff game we have to deal with it or something similar. Just be aware that anything you create through necromancy has one HUGE weakness. A phoenix down will totally destroy it.

Re: Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - Sylian - 08-24-2010

Tadir Wrote:The Final Fantasy series in general is pretty varied when it comes to how people learn magic. Some do learn it through intense study, but a lot of their characters are mages. They were born that way. Look at Terra, Vivi, Rydia. They all were born with magic and that is how they are, whether they want it or not. Then there are those, like Celes or Kefka, who gain magic through a procedure.

So I think you can take as much freedom as you desire with your character's method of learning magic.

Very true. I guess the FF universe is rather flexible and we've seen quite a bunch of different characters using magic in different ways. I suppose that's only good, because like you said you can take a lot of freedom in writing your own character.

As for necromancy and such, I suppose it wouldn't be too strange, not to me, anyway. Though it would take some skill to emote it out properly (the minions). I'm still curious to see what we'll see NPCs and monsters do. For instance, will there be a evil sorceror somewhere that calls forth a demon? Pretty likely Smile
Oh and can you actually use curative magic on undeads to damage them, in FFXIV? Tongue

Re: Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - Tadir - 08-24-2010

I haven't run into any undead in the game, but you can target the enemies with cure, so I would assume so.

Re: Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - Mycroft - 08-25-2010

Seeing as the Disciples of Magic are available to all, one could say that instead of being born with magical abilities, the people of Hydaelyn are born with varying degrees of affinity with Aetheryte and the different elements.
This could play out in how and why they choose their specific magic Discipline and also explain how one can cast magic by simply equipping a wand or stave to use as a focus.

Those who only level their Disciplines of Magic for some abilities to fit ICly could be people born with a low-grade aetheryte affinity and therefore able to cast some magic, but not master it.

Re: Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - falcolas - 08-31-2010

If you're ever interested in reading a novel with some great ways to view the craft of magic, I recommend reading the Dresden series. Most specifically, Dead Beat if you like the necromancy side of things. There was a great description of how to "gather" the energy of death - by seeing all the death around us on the small scale. When you think about it, there are aspects of death all around us - skin cells, insects, small animals, plants, etc.

Magic always seems to be made too simple by most folks... I like it a bit more when using magic takes something out of you. Forcing the energies around you to bend to your will should never be an trivial thing.

Re: Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - Kima wolf - 08-31-2010

Very true. normally my mage characters all have a distinct weakness when using magic. Such as in Conan my mage was a Demonologist and her weakness was very specific, she was frail usually and needed blood to do the rituals. The bigger the ritual/spell, the more blood needed.

in this game I think Thaums seem to be close to what bloodmages were in Vanguard, it's how I plan to RP Kailisto anyway, as more of a blood mage.

Re: Hocus Pocus: the ways of magic? - Sylian - 08-31-2010

falcolas Wrote:If you're ever interested in reading a novel with some great ways to view the craft of magic, I recommend reading the Dresden series. Most specifically, Dead Beat if you like the necromancy side of things. There was a great description of how to "gather" the energy of death - by seeing all the death around us on the small scale. When you think about it, there are aspects of death all around us - skin cells, insects, small animals, plants, etc.

Magic always seems to be made too simple by most folks... I like it a bit more when using magic takes something out of you. Forcing the energies around you to bend to your will should never be an trivial thing.

Thanks, I'll look into that sometimes Smile And I'm like that too, I like to know more about the complicated workings of magic in a certain instance Smile Even though I'm likely not going to be playing a magey main character myself, I still like to know all about the lore behind magic.

Anyway, thanks for the additional replies ^^ I'm trying to stay on top of the matter as I get to see more in-game material Smile