Hydaelyn Role-Players
Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! (/showthread.php?tid=4561)

Pages: 1 2 3

Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Yini Kihn - 09-15-2013

Edit: Please report this issue in-game the next time it occurs to you! If we make enough noise, this might actually be fixed! Include the string that failed and make it clear that it's 100% reproducible.

If anyone tries sending the following text string, it will silently fail regardless of if they use /party, /say, /tell, FC chat, et cetera:

Quote:"I love you, pumpkin! How could you even ask such a thing! I love you so, so much! I always will! Forever!" She throws her arms around Missy, practically dragging the pair of them into the water.

If I change just one word, however, it works just fine:

Quote:"I heart you, pumpkin! How could you even ask such a thing! I love you so, so much! I always will! Forever!" She throws her arms around Missy, practically dragging the pair of them into the water.

I'm currently experiencing this problem on Balmung. Yes, I have reported it—feel free to comment on my bug report if needed or upvote it. If you're having this problem on other servers too, please post so I can add it to my bug report. This is a major issue because you basically have no idea if other people can hear you or not! It has wrecked two RP sessions for me already!

Thanks for the help, everyone! Hopefully they fix this soon!

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-16-2013

Oh my. We keep having blocks of text, even short text completely disappear when it's posted. Is it possibly because of the words in the sentence and not necessarily the length creating an issue then?

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Magellan - 09-16-2013

I think the important lesson here is that one should not love on pumpkins. It's not a gourd idea.

((And yeah, I've been having this issue too...))

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Alothia - 09-16-2013

We had the same thing happen to us the past couple of nights in a row. Had to end up taking our RP to Google Docs to finish it out. 

Glad it's not just us, then. ^^

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Yini Kihn - 09-16-2013

(09-16-2013, 09:22 AM)Magellan Wrote: I think the important lesson here is that one should not love on pumpkins. It's not a gourd idea.

((And yeah, I've been having this issue too...))

If you would be so kind, please post on my bug report to confirm you're having the same problem.

(09-16-2013, 11:20 AM)Alothia Wrote: Glad it's not just us, then. ^^

No, it's not thankfully. Please do post on my bug report to confirm you're also having the issue though! I'd like to make sure this gets their attention ASAP.

(09-16-2013, 09:08 AM)Siobhain Wrote: Oh my. We keep having blocks of text, even short text completely disappear when it's posted. Is it possibly because of the words in the sentence and not necessarily the length creating an issue then?

It's neither, so far as I can tell. I've tested many different combinations of things.

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Lament - 09-16-2013

This happened to me last night, as well. The line was:

Quote:For some reason, she was told that often. 'Some reason' likely being the fact she was tiny, even by Miqo'te standards. She glanced up at him briefly, then back at the spot between his shoes. They weren't very good shoes. "I'm sorry. I mean, um. I'm twenty-two in Hyuran years." He was Hyur, right? She didn't want to look at him again to confirm, but those seemed like Hyuran shoes.

We thought it might be the length, since splitting the message worked, but yours is much shorter, so length may not be it. But since splitting the text worked, it's probably not words, either, unless I got lucky and split the message in the right spot (I split it after the period before "I'm sorry(...)").

One solution we thought of was to use something that I used to in IM RP - follow the end of any post with ((done)), or whatever your equivalent of OOC is, so that if there isn't a post before it, we'll know it was skipped. If you're doing open world RP with strangers it may be a little trickier, though you can always party up to say done in party while this isn't solved.

I'll confirm it in the official forums, too.

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Michikyou - 09-16-2013

(09-16-2013, 03:26 PM)Lament Wrote: This happened to me last night, as well. The line was:

Quote:For some reason, she was told that often. 'Some reason' likely being the fact she was tiny, even by Miqo'te standards. She glanced up at him briefly, then back at the spot between his shoes. They weren't very good shoes. "I'm sorry. I mean, um. I'm twenty-two in Hyuran years." He was Hyur, right? She didn't want to look at him again to confirm, but those seemed like Hyuran shoes.

We thought it might be the length, since splitting the message worked, but yours is much shorter, so length may not be it. But since splitting the text worked, it's probably not words, either, unless I got lucky and split the message in the right spot (I split it after the period before "I'm sorry(...)").

One solution we thought of was to use something that I used to in IM RP - follow the end of any post with ((done)), or whatever your equivalent of OOC is, so that if there isn't a post before it, we'll know it was skipped. If you're doing open world RP with strangers it may be a little trickier, though you can always party up to say done in party while this isn't solved.

I'll confirm it in the official forums, too.

Also had this happen, we had to take all the RP to party; in fact it got so bad we couldn't see anyone's /s or  /em's at all. Only linkshell chat worked in the end.

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Yloise - 09-16-2013

Thanks for saying that, I was wondering if my longish posts were getting skipped or not! Smile

Now I have to break up sentences because even those might be too long.

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Yini Kihn - 09-17-2013

(09-16-2013, 10:04 PM)michikyou Wrote: Also had this happen, we had to take all the RP to party; in fact it got so bad we couldn't see anyone's /s or  /em's at all. Only linkshell chat worked in the end.

The problems are just absurd. Being able to communicate is the single most important thing in an MMO, and the fact that chat isn't working properly—even if just for a matter of days—is really unbelievable to me. My continued faith in SE is conditional upon a quick resolution of these issues.

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - DAISHI - 09-17-2013

(09-17-2013, 12:37 AM)Yini Kihn Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 10:04 PM)michikyou Wrote: Also had this happen, we had to take all the RP to party; in fact it got so bad we couldn't see anyone's /s or  /em's at all. Only linkshell chat worked in the end.

The problems are just absurd. Being able to communicate is the single most important thing in an MMO, and the fact that chat isn't working properly—even if just for a matter of days—is really unbelievable to me. My continued faith in SE is conditional upon a quick resolution of these issues.
Did you play 1.0?

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Yini Kihn - 09-17-2013

Not to bug everyone, but this is still occurring as of now and it's incredibly annoying. I experience about 5% loss of my longer posts and, as such, role-playing is quite painful for me and many others.

If any of you encounter this bug, please post the exact message on my bug report so that SE has more information to work with. It may also help draw more attention to the problem and enable a quicker resolution.

SE has moved the bug report to the accepted bugs forum, so we should be okay! You can still go over there and click that "like" button though!

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - Yini Kihn - 10-24-2013

Has anyone heard anything about this? It's been over five weeks and this bug is still driving me completely bonkers!

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - CallmeYahweh - 10-24-2013

Still experiencing it unfortunately.

It's gotten so bad sometimes that I have to communicate that I've actually sent a message so people know I'm not just ignoring them. I'm glad to see it's other people having this issue as well, though. I searched around in Google and didn't find any real suggestions on how to fix it.

RE: Be aware: The chat system is currently silently discarding certain messages! - AdmiralSnackbar - 10-24-2013

Happens constantly with posts over a certain length. Sometimes this length fluctuates but it's always the longer posts that vanish. /say, /em, and /p are all affected.

I send a (Sent one!) message now after almost every post. Just working within the cage.