Hydaelyn Role-Players
Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming (/showthread.php?tid=4593)

Pages: 1 2

Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - sindurion - 09-17-2013

Hey there guys! So having just left WoW behind I'm getting started on FFXIV and I'm loving the lore so far, I really am, but I have a couple of problems I was hoping fellow RPers could help me out with!

First off, let me just say that I love the conventional intricacy of Miqo'te lore, I do, but me, personally? I tend to be a little...OCD with my characters, I like them to be utterly perfect for me, that is to say I want to personally enjoy every aspect of them, from their looks, to their personality to their names.

That said, what I love is the simple grace and striking look of the Miqo'te, what I don't love, for my own personal character is the conventional naming for either Keeper or Seeker and general tribal nature. From what I have gleamed looking over the forums a lot of people seem to have City-dwelling Miqo'te who still retain the conventional naming of the Tribal clans.

My question, or rather statement is this, What I would like a lot, is a Miqo'te that has been city-raised if not born, amongst a Hyur household and with more importantly a non-tribal name, perhaps even a Hyur name. My biggest worry with just picking out a name from the air, a Hyur name that is, is that I'd hate for other RPers to get the wrong impression that I disregard lore and the like.

So guys, what should I do? Bite the bullet and go conventional? Not be a Miqo'te at all?

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Naunet - 09-17-2013

As a player with a Seeker whose in-game name is not abiding with lore in a direct manner, I say do what you want! Just be prepared to have an excuse to explain why your character has the name they do - which it sounds to me as though you do. Smile

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Magellan - 09-17-2013

Don't overthink it ._.

Rp is supposed to be fun. First of all, a Hyur raised Miqo would have a Hyur name. That's lore accurate.

Second of all, tribal miqo'te have a full name (take mine for instance) A'kaitis, and a more formal name: she is called Kait, Kat, or Kit.

She bears the tribal name above her head, but being raised in Limsa, she has a much more informal approach to her name. She prefers Kat over everything else. So... she could, in fact, bear the tag Kat over her head and still be lore accurate.

As long as you know what change you are making, and why you are making it, you're usually ok !

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - sanguineFenrir - 09-17-2013

I've seen some people get around this by having their character be adopted by another race (keeping their first name and tribal letter, but taking their adoptive family's surname for greater variety.) I've also seen some say that their character dislikes tribes or left theirs for whatever reason, and thus they drop the tribal letter or come up with a completely new pseudonym for city life. I imagine the same thing would work for Keepers who want to have a more individualized name not tied to their mothers.

My character has been around for many years in my own writings and some other games under this name or another, and I really wanted to play him as a Keeper due to the lunar aspect and facial features/native-esque appearance, but calling him by anything else other than his name wouldn't be right for me.

The rationalization I came up with is that his father was friends with and deeply respected many of the Roegadyn he met in his travels, and so he wished to pass down a bit of their individualistic culture to his son. Since Kevaraan and his family traveled through city-states for most of their life and might have been seen as outliers, this works well enough (and "Kevaraan has that Nordic/Scandinavian feel soundwise, even though it doesn't directly translate into the Sea Wolf language. It has become incorporated into his RP a bit--he's still very much a Miqo'te, but speaks like a formal, educated city-dweller, and I've had a few characters who met him over a linkshell be surprised at his race in person.

From what I've heard, as long as you have a suitable, plausible explanation as to why you're using a non-tribal name, you should be fine. Maybe your character wants to distance himself from or was exiled from his tribe for whatever reason, and disdains their customs. Maybe he was taken in by a kindly Hyur ignorant of Miqo'te customs. Perhaps he has a tribal name, but wants a more Hyuran equivalent because he's tired of people mispronouncing it.

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Swift Nightclaw - 09-17-2013

This is my miqo'te, a traditionally tribal raised child.

What's that? His name isn't traditionally appropriate?  Pfft, that's because most of you can't even pronounce our names right.  This is close enough for you.

I consider his real name to be K'Swhift Tia, but after leaving his tribe some of the, um, work he's done he picked up being called Nightclaw and took it as a name.  As for his first name? Swift is essentially how it's going to sound when pronounced by non-miqo'te.

Also, I would note for folks debating this:
"In colloquial speech amongst close friends and companions, sometimes the tribe letter will be dropped from the first name."

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61150-Miqo-te-Naming-Conventions

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - LiadansWhisper - 09-17-2013

(09-17-2013, 03:34 PM)Swift Nightclaw Wrote: This is my miqo'te, a traditionally tribal raised child.

What's that? His name isn't traditionally appropriate?  Pfft, that's because most of you can't even pronounce our names right.  This is close enough for you.

I consider his real name to be K'Swhift Tia, but after leaving his tribe some of the, um, work he's done he picked up being called Nightclaw and took it as a name.  As for his first name? Swift is essentially how it's going to sound when pronounced by non-miqo'te.

"In colloquial speech amongst close friends and companions, sometimes the tribe letter will be dropped from the first name."

This is, quite honestly, brilliant!  I love it! Smile

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Swift Nightclaw - 09-17-2013

(09-17-2013, 04:17 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 03:34 PM)Swift Nightclaw Wrote: This is my miqo'te, a traditionally tribal raised child.

This is, quite honestly, brilliant!  I love it! Smile

Thanks! ^_^

My friend had a mithra named Swift in FF XI but I picked up the name from a character we're creating for a comic series we've been discussing.  He's making his miqo'te with "Swift" as the last name.

We're debating getting more complicated in my miqo'te (male) and his (female) being siblings with the son/father names being variations of one another (K'Swihft and K'Swhift).  Siblings with opposite paths in life and intense sibling rivalry with her being a paladin and him, eventually, being a ninja.  Wink

Ironically, he likes thinking of a bit of personality and background to his characters, but doesn't RP. Hehe

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Shae'ra - 09-17-2013

I know of several Miqo'te who have unconventional names and are claiming that they are raised by Hyur or that they abandoned their tribe name and changed it when they moved in to the city.

As long as there a reason behind it for IC purpose, I think you're safe.

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - FreelanceWizard - 09-17-2013

(09-17-2013, 05:21 PM)Nahvir Wrote: As long as there a reason behind it for IC purpose, I think you're safe.

Yep, this. Smile It's a big world, and there's lots of reasons why a miqo'te's name will, or will not, match the "normal" naming conventions. You just need to make sure you have an explanation for it, as it'll probably come up in conversation. Likewise, it's good if your IC justification also carries some narrative benefits -- that is, it should do something to expound on your character and open up avenues for additional RP.

Continuing on this thought, a miqo'te raised by hyur will likely be very different from other miqo'te, as they wouldn't have been exposed to their traditional tribal culture (or even the echoes of it that city-dwelling miqo'te might have). So, you should ask yourself, how does your character feel about other miqo'te? What about other hyur? Is there any "stranger in a strange land" alienation? Your concept gives you a lot of options to come up with a unique background, so you should take advantage of it. Smile

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - sindurion - 09-17-2013

(09-17-2013, 05:38 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 05:21 PM)Nahv Wrote: As long as there a reason behind it for IC purpose, I think you're safe.

Yep, this. Smile It's a big world, and there's lots of reasons why a miqo'te's name will, or will not, match the "normal" naming conventions. You just need to make sure you have an explanation for it, as it'll probably come up in conversation. Likewise, it's good if your IC justification also carries some narrative benefits -- that is, it should do something to expound on your character and open up avenues for additional RP.

Continuing on this thought, a miqo'te raised by hyur will likely be very different from other miqo'te, as they wouldn't have been exposed to their traditional tribal culture (or even the echoes of it that city-dwelling miqo'te might have). So, you should ask yourself, how does your character feel about other miqo'te? What about other hyur? Is there any "stranger in a strange land" alienation? Your concept gives you a lot of options to come up with a unique background, so you should take advantage of it. Smile

Thanks for all the replies and feedback guys! You helped a lot! And Indeed I was thinking the same thing about a Miqo'te raised by Hyur's being very different, I in fact really wanted to play on that fact, the fact he would most likely find Tribal and Traditional Miqo'te customs so odd and foreign, since a lot of my friends are playing as very tribal and traditional Miqo'te I feel this will somewhat help me feel like I'm not just playing the same thing and ought to make for some interesting interactions!

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Michikyou - 09-17-2013

(09-17-2013, 05:41 PM)sindurion Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 05:38 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 05:21 PM)Nahv Wrote: As long as there a reason behind it for IC purpose, I think you're safe.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback guys! You helped a lot! And Indeed I was thinking the same thing about a Miqo'te raised by Hyur's being very different, I in fact really wanted to play on that fact, the fact he would most likely find Tribal and Traditional Miqo'te customs so odd and foreign, since a lot of my friends are playing as very tribal and traditional Miqo'te I feel this will somewhat help me feel like I'm not just playing the same thing and ought to make for some interesting interactions!

http://fandango.exp.jp/name-generator.php

In the future, this may help.

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Lan Darklyn - 09-17-2013

I am with those that say go with what you want, but just be prepared to explain why your toon has that name. Lan here was raised by a Midlander family so he has a more Hyur sounding name.

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Nimarhie - 09-17-2013

Until I get a way to change my Miqote's name (not Taijha), she will be stuck with the name Masikha Rosewood. *sigh* She was a hyuran until I used my vet reward to change her. >.>

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Roda - 09-17-2013

(09-17-2013, 06:09 PM)michikyou Wrote: http://fandango.exp.jp/name-generator.php

In the future, this may help.
The character creator has one built in now, and it has far more names than that generator!

RE: Miqo'te Unconventional Naming - Nimarhie - 09-17-2013

chargen name generator offers up surnames for elezen that are not even in the game npcs (that I've seen), the fandango site however, does. I think the site one is based off 1.0... or perhaps XI.

They are both good tools though, don't discount the site just because it offers fewer names for some races (supposedly). I spent nearly another pushing generate on elezen and had well over 30 different surnames.