Hydaelyn Role-Players
Prefered Combat System - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Prefered Combat System (/showthread.php?tid=4629)

Prefered Combat System - Trigonxv - 09-19-2013

Idk about you all but for me the combat system is a love hate relationship. At times as long as i am out of the the aoe being preformed before the skill bar is full i avoid a decent amount of damage but what also happens is sometimes just because i was BARELY TOUCHING the AOE or attack range I get hit despite being far enough away to make myself a sandwich. The reason? its because that what is prioritized in those situations was the completion of the skill and who was in range at the given time which I find incredibly annoying at times when I am well away or even behind the monster when the skill goes off. Me personally I prefer it prioritizes who is actually in the attack range and not who WAS in the attack range but like I said its a love hate thing.

My question to you all is what system do you like and or preference, the one right now that prioritizes who was present at the time of the skill completion or who is in actual range of the skill.

(also you could say to pay attention more but when you have skills going off in every which direction by both party and enemy alike it can get a bit messy trying to sort out one skill being used by the enemy, at least to me at times)

RE: Prefered Combat System - Moondoggie - 09-19-2013

It's very much like nothing i played before in the AoE department. I'm used to the whole if you are out the area when the skill hits you are fine not having to panic and watch skills being charged to know if i am safe. Some charge incredibly quick for the size of the area you need to dodge.

The combat system in all i find okay for an old school tab targeting game. Though after Tera every combat system seems more boring. The main thing i hate is the whole global CD when using a skill it makes skill using very slow and monotonous. When i know a fight i can literally play one handed it's so slow all while i drink my coffee.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Magellan - 09-19-2013

I wish more combat systems were like Dragon Nest.

That said, this one's kind of grown on me.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Zaul - 09-19-2013

I got the AoE timing pretty much down to where I can get out of it every time. My biggest issue right now is I am a hardcore PVPer after RP. My current favorite class is Dragoon and when enemies are running away I can never hit them because the attack range is absurd. This game is very range friendly and I can see in PVP this will cause a lot of problems.

I can also add onto the global cooldown. It makes this game feel very boring and slow. Especially when running my rotation on bosses.

As far as preferred combat system.. I actually didn't like the way Tera was setup. I like the locked target style of most MMOs before Tera and GW and stuff. WoW and TOR are my top favorite MMOs as far as PVP goes. Which is what I do most when not RPing. This system doesn't bother me besides what I previously mentioned.

RE: Prefered Combat System - FreelanceWizard - 09-19-2013

Honestly, the AoE system reminds me a lot of TSW's, except as opposed to the cast bar being in the AoE indicator (in TSW, you see the AoE appear, then a line spread from its center to the edge; if you're in the AoE when the line hits the edge and the attack executes, you get hit). I think it's a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" sort of situation, though I have noticed some lag in AoE processing. This is especially bad when the AoE has a very, very short cast time, as some in XIV do.

Personally, I like XIV's combat system, with the minor complaint that I wish we could cross-class more skills. The attribute effects of classes are already sufficient to keep that from creating "do it all" characters.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Moondoggie - 09-19-2013

Or at least have cross class skills that are more useful. I think for White Mage there is only one cross class skill that is anything worth while which is the Swiftcast skill which seems basically needed at endgame because you get so little time to do a rez spell it takes like 8 seconds and in that time a ton of AoE's can show up and make you move and cancel.

The rest of the cross class skills you get are basically worthless.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Clover - 09-19-2013

I thought the AoE system was a bug *falls*.

I guess I prefer real time combat systems (like Mabinogi:Heroes/Vindictus or Tera), but I must say I've ended up enjoying the FFXIV system as well. Still not my favourite, but not bad either.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Magellan - 09-19-2013

It took me awhile to get used to non-action combat, and at first I hated it, but ended up growng to appreciate it once I actually was shown how to play xD

Its solid combat system, but nothing revolutionary.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Naunet - 09-19-2013

ARR's combat is definitely not one of the game's draws for me. I don't disparage tab-target, but in the world of tab-target MMOs, ARR's is lacking. The spells are, in my opinion, overly simplistic; the pace of combat is at best a bit sluggish and at worst unresponsive; and yes, there is the frustration of the AoE telegraph system. I much prefer the combat in Rift or even WoW when it comes to tab-target games, though ultimately I above and beyond prefer action combat like in TERA.

Luckily there are other things besides the combat to keep me here. Like it being pay-to-play. And being able to sit in chairs.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Ildur - 09-19-2013

There's some positional lag in ARR, which causes the problem of being hit by AoEs even though you are out of their area. There are also some skills whose area is actually slightly wider than the marker, so you can't stay just out of the edges to avoid the damage. When combined with a fast charge, you get almost unavoidable attacks. When I tank, there are times where I run a whole screen worth of length to make sure I'm nowhere near the AoE when it goes off.

My problem with tab-targetting combat systems is that they tend to devolve into a game of Cooldown-Babysitting. ARR did a good job of allowing me to look at the game instead of having to stare at the cooldowns until end-game. There are some fights there that require you to stare at the boss' charge meters (that is just on top of his health) and to watch the cooldowns to make sure you can stun/silence them. In those bosses, I stop looking at the game proper to stare at the bottom of my screen, where I had to move the boss' health bar so I could keep an eye on the hotbar too. In those bosses, I'm not playing ARR: I'm playing Hotbar: Watch for the Charge Attack Online.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Trigonxv - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 11:29 AM)Naunet Wrote: ARR's combat is definitely not one of the game's draws for me. I don't disparage tab-target, but in the world of tab-target MMOs, ARR's is lacking. The spells are, in my opinion, overly simplistic; the pace of combat is at best a bit sluggish and at worst unresponsive; and yes, there is the frustration of the AoE telegraph system. I much prefer the combat in Rift or even WoW when it comes to tab-target games, though ultimately I above and beyond prefer action combat like in TERA.

Luckily there are other things besides the combat to keep me here. Like it being pay-to-play. And being able to sit in chairs.
Laugh Dem chairs are a game breaker. Lol but yeah I may have gotten too accustomed to Tera's combat to be able to react more appropriately to ARR's combat, maybe in time there will be an update the gives some people a little more time to breathe when a skill is being cast, especially when some have latency issues.

RE: Prefered Combat System - K'nahli - 09-19-2013

Latency is what bothers me most since it can fluctuate quite a bit at times but I guess there's nothing that can be really done about that.

What I ABSOLUTELY HATE is the system where enemies run back to their original spawn zone after you reach past a certain radius, making them invulnerable and having to start all over again. This even happened with a large Fate Boss in the Highlands that was almost dead, only for the person taking aggro to run out of range and reset his health. At the VERY least, there should be a little warning and countdown time to when you have left the spawn range, giving you the chance to return. That said, I still don't think rendering them invincible is fair, it is so frustrating.

Also enemies that can hit you with a melee attack when you are nowhere near them...

M:H/Vindictus' system is just unparalleled..

RE: Prefered Combat System - LiadansWhisper - 09-19-2013

(09-19-2013, 01:12 PM)K Wrote: Latency is what bothers me most since it can fluctuate quite a bit at times but I guess there's nothing that can be really done about that.

What I ABSOLUTELY HATE is the system where enemies run back to their original spawn zone after you reach past a certain radius, making them invulnerable and having to start all over again. This even happened with a large Fate Boss in the Highlands that was almost dead, only for the person taking aggro to run out of range and reset his health. At the VERY least, there should be a little warning and countdown time to when you have left the spawn range, giving you the chance to return. That said, I still don't think rendering them invincible is fair, it is so frustrating.

Also enemies that can hit you with a melee attack when you are nowhere near them...

Unfortunately they leash because otherwise you'd get trains of mobs being kited into places and destroying low level players.

RE: Prefered Combat System - Cato - 09-20-2013

(09-19-2013, 08:34 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(09-19-2013, 01:12 PM)K Wrote: Latency is what bothers me most since it can fluctuate quite a bit at times but I guess there's nothing that can be really done about that.

Unfortunately they leash because otherwise you'd get trains of mobs being kited into places and destroying low level players.

I used to love seeing that happen in older MMO's that didn't have a leash system, since it made exploration that much more dangerous/thrilling when high level monsters could be lured to low level areas. Sure, it could be frustrating at times but a few friends and I used to patrol low level zones to specifically kill anything that was lured away from the higher level zones. Made a lot of profit in the process too.

RE: Prefered Combat System - LiadansWhisper - 09-20-2013

(09-20-2013, 12:36 PM)J Wrote: I used to love seeing that happen in older MMO's that didn't have a leash system, since it made exploration that much more dangerous/thrilling when high level monsters could be lured to low level areas. Sure, it could be frustrating at times but a few friends and I used to patrol low level zones to specifically kill anything that was lured away from the higher level zones. Made a lot of profit in the process too.

While I understand your position, I don't share it.  In my experience, giving assholes a platform to be...well...assholes...rarely ends well.  To me, it's much more important to give new players a good experience than it is to entertain older players with the "fun" of having someone train mobs 30 levels higher than them over them repeatedly.