Hydaelyn Role-Players
Summoners, Garleans and the Void lore tidbits - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Summoners, Garleans and the Void lore tidbits (/showthread.php?tid=4650)

Summoners, Garleans and the Void lore tidbits - Jove - 09-19-2013

So this thread is to highlight some interesting pieces of lore I've come across and to possibly dispel some common misconceptions I've seen in game and on forums.

I'll try and keep this as spoiler free as possible with ARR, though I do deal with the story of 1.0. So without further delay, I present to ye wall of texts (in bullet points!).

Summoners (the job)
  • Primal Slayers?
    Not exactly. Summoners need only to perform a ritual to summon a Primals' egi, and then defeat that egi to bind it to them (yep, all they have to defeat is that mini Ifrit, Garuda or Titan you see floating behind them). It's made very clear that in the lore, the actual Primals themselves are not summoned and do not need to be defeated to obtain their egi.
  • Origins
    Summoners as we know them today actually practice arcane arts developed by Allagan mages. The term "egi" is an Allagan word meaning "pure" or the "essence of", so for example "Ifrit-egi" literally translates as "the essence of Ifrit". Allagan summoners basically found a way to siphon the essence of Primals and manifest this essence as an egi, which is bound to do their bidding.

Garlean Empire
  • Eikon
    A derogatory word for Primals used by the Garleans but also said by some Eorzeans. To call a Primal an Eikon is essentially to call them a false god, which the beast tribes really hate to hear.
  • Brainwashing
    It's revealed throughout the 1.0 story that it was actually Nael van Darnus who introduced conscription of Ala Mhigo citizens to bolster his VIIth legion. You have to remember that Ala Mhigo was conquered 15 years prior to the events of 1.0 (20 years now) and that many of its young adults had grew up under Garlean control and propaganda from a very young age.
    Naturally, most Garlemald citizens are in full support of the Empire's actions because of the extreme shift in power and prosperity the Emperor has seized for them, and there's no doubt the Empire employs heavy propaganda, especially in conquered realms, however I don't see any evidence for actual "make you a zombie to the system" type brainwashing e.g tempering. After all, Cid is a defector and the Empire is unable to keep spies out of it's ranks which infers that even Garlean soldiers retain the ability to freely think. Just like the soldiers of the three Grand Companies, the soldiers of the Garlean Empire seem to carry out their duties out of patriotism, loyalty and pride for the Empire, because they believe their cause is just, that they're saving Hydaelyn (and they probably know that failing to perform their duty has harsh consequences).

• Forced to kill daily
    Again, another one of Nael van Darnus' ideas. Basically this Legatus is known for his brutal methods, and was assigned control of the western front with orders for Gaius van Baelsar and his XIVth legion to support him:

"The tone within the legions shifted radically towards Nael’s brutal standards. Spies within the Garlean ranks reported that troops were forced to kill daily in an attempt to harden their hearts and make slaughter mere reflex".

So essentially this practice was only introduced during 1.0 and only for the VIIth and XIVth legion. It's stated nowhere that this is practised by any other Garlean legion.
  • Unable to use magic?
    Just to clarify, only pure blooded Garleans have an ineptitude of magic, so the majority of Garlean mages you come across are probably Garlean immigrants or conscripts, however even a half blood or full blood Garlean mage isn't impossible, just very, very, very unlikely.
  • The nature of Magitek
    So this is completely an opinion! In fact it doesn't belong here, but I didn't want to make a whole new thread for it. Regardless, this article makes a great argument that "Magitek isn't technology; magitek is technology that should not work" and I highly recommend reading it.

Personally I agree with the conclusion and you do see a lot of evidence for it in game, such as the airships and various machina. Still, it's just an opinion, so don't take it as fact!

Here's the whole thing if you don't want to click on the link:
    Show Content

The Void
  • A reality beyond
    The Void is a netherworld strife with shadows and monstrosity that if strong enough, can just breach our reality via a "Voidgate".
    Creatures from the void are called "Voidsent" and include those creatures that are "unnatural", such as the spirits of the undead, unholy manifestations, Ahrimans, the Mindflayer, Voidoriga... basically anything you'd expect from a Lovecraftian tale, there's even a book called the Necrologis that is able to summon these Voidsent.

RE: Summoners, Garleans and the Void lore tidbits - Navarre - 09-19-2013

Great information. Thanks for posting it.

RE: Summoners, Garleans and the Void lore tidbits - sindurion - 09-19-2013

Very awesome! I hope you post one on Black Mage too!

RE: Summoners, Garleans and the Void lore tidbits - Nimarhie - 09-19-2013

I love the idea of magitech being "tech that shouldnt work", it makes so much more sense than trying to explain how something mechanical works with magic instead of electricity or some such. Big Grin

RE: Summoners, Garleans and the Void lore tidbits - C'io Behkt - 09-20-2013

(09-19-2013, 09:47 PM)Jove Wrote: Summoners (the job)
  • Primal Slayers?
    Not exactly. Summoners need only to perform a ritual to summon a Primals' egi, and then defeat that egi to bind it to them (yep, all they have to defeat is that mini Ifrit, Garuda or Titan you see floating behind them). It's made very clear that in the lore, the actual Primals themselves are not summoned and do not need to be defeated to obtain their egi.
  • Origins
    Summoners as we know them today actually practice arcane arts developed by Allagan mages. The term "egi" is an Allagan word meaning "pure" or the "essence of", so for example "Ifrit-egi" literally translates as "the essence of Ifrit". Allagan summoners basically found a way to siphon the essence of Primals and manifest this essence as an egi, which is bound to do their bidding.

I'm going to politely contest your findings on Summoners under the label "Primal Slayers" because, in the Job's story, you are told to and are required to defeat the Primal whose essence you draw upon BEFORE you can even attempt to summon the and bind the egi. Furthermore, through the investigation of that Job questline, the NPC narrows down the list of suspects through use of a "Primal Slayer" list that one of the Grand Companies keeps, stating heavily that only those who have bested a Primal can even be considered candidates for Summoning. This is all very explicitly stated information. They do need to be encountered and survived prior to egi binding.

Now, what I think you mean by the "actual Primal" is the difference between the Primal's true essence, which exists outside our plane of existence, and the Primal's manifestations, which is what we see in the game and what the Beastmen conjure through crystal sacrifice. No mortal can defeat a Primal's true form because the true form never appears; instead, a mortal can defeat the manifestation. The egi is also a manifestation, but on a much smaller scale (and speculated to be free of the problems plaguing fully manifested Primals).