Hydaelyn Role-Players
Anime/Manga General - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Anime/Manga General (/showthread.php?tid=4725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Anime/Manga General - ryanxwonbin - 09-24-2013

Hey, thought I'd make this since I didn't see a thread for it before. I've seen a fair share of people using Japanese names/themes with their characters, so thought there would be quite a few fans around here. I myself started watching anime since around 2009 and have been watching seasonly airing shows since then.

Currently for this Summer season, very much enjoying Symphogear, Love Lab, Monogatari.

[Image: tumblr_mplbdhMZYx1r53yzko1_500.gif]

RE: Anime/Manga General - Vito - 09-24-2013

I don't watch tons of anime, but what I have seen, I really like.

Of course anything from Studio Ghibli, that's almost not even worth mentioning because anyone can like those movies, because they're just really damn good stories. I even liked Tales From Earthsea (which people didn't care much for because it wasn't like the original book series and it was directed by Hayao Miyazaki's son). The Devilman OVAs are also great because they're older, with this charming cheesiness that most anime from the 80's-90's typically has. Pretty cool fight scenes and violent too. 

I watched Evangelion at a young age. That's the series that got me into anime. It's more popular now, but it does have a good story and I'm probably the only person who doesn't hate the main character. I think the mechas are the coolest and I always wished I had one.

Cowboy Bebop is obviously really damn good. Bokurano has a great, sad storyline.

I know even less about manga, but I love Junji Ito's stuff. Uzumaki and Gyo are just great. Really worth reading if you're into disturbing, grotesque, weird shite.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Vinter - 09-24-2013

I just finished watching Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World) yesterday.
For those of you with the mental fortitude to sit through 25 episodes of some of the absolute worst that humanity has to offer, you couldn't ask for a more brilliant show. And trust me when I say that this show is dark. Like, systematic killing of children type of darkness.
But if you can deal with that, the payoff is so worth it. I don't regret watching it for a second.

And if you've heard of it in passing, then yes, the show does indeed have one or two yaoi scenes. And I know that this is something that for some people was reason enough to drop the series entirely, but it shouldn't be. This has nothing to do with your homophobic sexual preferences, this is art.

I gave this show a 10/10 without question. It's thought provoking and evocative. It's easily one of the best anime out there.

[Image: 45HbGvf5d2dp.jpg]

RE: Anime/Manga General - N'taeyl - 09-24-2013

I may have to watch Shin Sekai Yori, if I had a merciful internet.  Sometimes the agonizing ones make for the best stories.  And speaking of agonizing, my current obsession is the ever popular Attack on Titan, anime and manga.  Normally I'm a huge critic for movies/stories/series of any kind, I'll tack on a rant with my compliments, but this series has me captivated.  My ONLY complaint is how Ymir is represented in the anime, and that Nyancat voices her...I think she does anyway?

Editing this as they come to mind or I read the thread (because it really matters and I can't remember what I've seen >_>)
My favorites: Trigun, Outlaw Star, Gundam Wing, Canaan, FLCL, Tenchi Muyo (Universe)
The Ghibli movies of course. 
Manga, nothing really noteworthy. I keep up with Naruto, because it's like a bad car wreck you can't stop watching.

RE: Anime/Manga General - TheLastCandle - 09-24-2013

I watched a lot of anime in the 90's/early 2000's but these days I only watch a few select shows. Space Brothers is my current favorite. I just appreciate how down to Earth (no pun intended!) it is, with mature characters that I can actually relate to in my early 30's, and just the right mix of drama and humor.

I'm also enjoying Attack on Titan, despite how slow it can be at times. Some of those cliffhangers are brutal!

RE: Anime/Manga General - Fystrael Abylstyrwyn - 09-24-2013

Anime:
Vampire Hunter D pulled me into anime.  Old-old-old-1996 like old Cartoon Network broadcast from Toonami of this movie really hooked me.  Died off quite a bit after 2006.

Currently watching:
Attack of the Titans.  First anime to pull me in for some time.  Also Berserk.

Manga:
One Piece. Also Cage of Eden, Fairy Tail, Blade of the Immortal and so much cheap shoujo you would not believe.

Let me know when you want to start talking JDrama, KDrama, etc. Tongue

RE: Anime/Manga General - Roda - 09-24-2013

I don't watch too too much anime / read manga, but I juuuust finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica and am currently watching Attack on Titan (cause who isn't?) and Danganronpa.

My all-time favorites are Durarara, and Mushi-Shi.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Asyria - 09-24-2013

Anime
I need to finish watching Fairy Tail.
I need to get back to Attack On Titan.
I loved Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust.
I hope they finish Hellsing Ultimate (the like-the-manga version)
I loved Wolf Rain
I loved X
I loved Records of Lodoss War
I should probably get me some Cowboy Bebop, I only seen the movie and a handful of episodes
Chobits was strangely adorbs and intriguing

Manga
I loved Dai No Daiboken (not sure what it's called in English.. I have the serie in French, but it's based mostly on Dragon Quest 3)
I loved Gunnm (Battle Angel Alita)
I need to finish Gunnm Last Order
I loved Pluto (amazing work inspired by Astro Boy)

RE: Anime/Manga General - Covikt - 09-24-2013

(09-24-2013, 02:05 PM)Roda Wrote: I don't watch too too much anime / read manga, but I juuuust finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica and am currently watching Attack on Titan (cause who isn't?) and Danganronpa.

My all-time favorites are Durarara, and Mushi-Shi.
Me :3 That's who's not. 

I actually pulled my name... well first name from Rave Master ^^ It's just one of those silly animes that is still fun to watch.

I have yet to finish up One Piece.... but it's another one I love :3

RE: Anime/Manga General - TheLastCandle - 09-24-2013

I'm more of an old-school anime kind of guy. Asyria seems to have the same taste, but I'd like to add:

Tenchi Muyo! - Especially the TV series (Tenchi Universe)

Sorcerer Hunters (Bakuretsu Hunters) - Just an all around fun anime. Follows the exploits of a group of vigilantes in a world dominated by evil sorcerers.

Robotech (Macross) - I grew up with this one not knowing at the time that it was "anime." I've seen Macross since, but Harmony Gold's ROBOTECH adaptation will always have my heart.

Samurai Pizza Cats - A unique case. Saban's translators were given extremely poor (or nonexistent) translations of the original scripts, so they pretty much went nuts with it and made it their own slapstick comedy show. 

Record of Lodoss War - Already mentioned by Asyria, but this one's truly something special. As a kid recently introduced to anime, AND heavily into Dragonlance and D&D, the OVA was magical. The TV series is good, but can be confusing for someone whose only Lodoss experience was with the OVA - the TV series is much closer to the original manga's plot.

Vampire Hunter D (Original and Bloodlust) - True classics of the genre. I highly recommend reading the novels they were based on, if only for comparison's sake - the films are significantly less dark. The novels that don't (yet) have a film based on them are extremely entertaining in their own rights as well.

Samurai Champloo - From the same awesome folks that brought the world Cowboy Bebop. Mixes a fairly traditional tale of feudal Japan with elements of hip hop subculture. The latter takes a back seat, though, especially in the later episodes.

Basilisk - It's Romeo and Juliet, with ninja. 'Nuff said. Also, the opening is like some sort of Japanese folk-metal. What the hell! Why is this so face-meltingly awesome?

[youtube]PS5bU5VuB8c[/youtube]

RE: Anime/Manga General - Nimarhie - 09-24-2013

Finished the world god only knows (season 3), yesterday, and OMG the tears would not stop.

Love Lab
Monogatari
Sunday Without God
Silver Spoon
The Eccentric Family
Servant x Service (spiritual successor to Working!!)
It's not my fault I'm not popular (watamote), and the manga spin off which is waaaaay more funny and less cringe-worthy.

RE: Anime/Manga General - cuideag - 09-24-2013

I grew up with anime so it never really struck me as anything particularly special (Anpanman and Ninja Turtles make for a weird childhood), and as such I don't follow it or manga as much as people might think I would being half-Japanese.

I am currently watching Attack on Titan, however, as I think the concept is really very interesting and I am a sucker for tragedy. Just recently watched and finished Puella Magi Madoka Magika and found myself liking it far more than I thought I would. Other than that, not really keeping up with anything...

Old favorites include Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Big O, Full Metal Alchemist (the first one), and .hack//SIGN strangely enough. 

Studio Ghibli flicks go without saying. My Neighbor Totoro is still easily one of my favorite movies and it holds a very, very dear place in my heart. Grave of the Fireflies is one of the few movies that will make me weep like a baby.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Fystrael Abylstyrwyn - 09-26-2013

(09-24-2013, 02:10 PM)Covikt Wrote: I have yet to finish up One Piece.... but it's another one I love :3

You can't finish One Piece, it's like The Song That Doesn't End.

I totally forgot how much I loved Wolf's Rain *STRAY! STRAY!* Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Kosetsu Hyaku Monogatari, Basilisk, Chobits, Vandread, Helsing, Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell...jeez, I need to grab hubby and spend a weekend watching these over!

RE: Anime/Manga General - LeCard - 09-26-2013

Well first off, Faiy Tail rules!

Now that that is out of the way, I would list all the stuff I've watched in the past 4 years, but that list is way too long (594 GB on my PCs hard drive alone)<that's not counting all the stuff on my friends computers.

I spent those 4 years in my university's anime club and we met every Sat. night to watch two episodes each of aprx. 5 different anime a night. we went through alot.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-29-2013

Soooooo...

Attack on Titan series (Anime) is over...probably forever. *sigh* Well it was a great run while it lasted!