Hydaelyn Role-Players
Anime/Manga General - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Anime/Manga General (/showthread.php?tid=4725)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Anime/Manga General - Tobias Nightbringer - 10-29-2013

[Image: wolf-children-poster.jpg]

So apparently if you want to have your feels running out of your face this is supposed to be a good Anime.

RE: Anime/Manga General - TheLastCandle - 10-29-2013

I haven't been watching as much as usual lately. Still keeping up with Space Brothers every week. It's pretty amazing. Plenty of laughs, but pretty emotional at times as well. Everybody should give it a look - it's simulcast on Crunchyroll.

Also, I CANNOT WAIT for this: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Record-of-Lodoss-War-OVA-Blu-ray/87060/

RE: Anime/Manga General - Freemoon - 10-29-2013

I couldn't even begin to list all the anime I've liked because they were a pretty big source of my entertainment in the past.  
I lost a lot of my hearing as a young child when I went through treatments for Leukemia (I'm legally considered deaf, although I can hear to a degree), and it wasn't until I was in my mid/late teens that my family got a TV with closed captions.  So my friends, friends of my siblings and even a few random relatives ended up getting me subtitled foreign films and series on VHS (including legit, fan subs from mailing trees in the pre-internet days and stuff taped off of TV) since it was the only way I could really follow something without constantly asking someone to tell me what was said.

But a few off the top of my head include:

- FLCL
- Cowboy Bebop
- Excel Saga
- Guyver (the original, I haven't seen the more recent series yet)
- The various Tenchi series
- Digimon Tamers
- A few of the various Japanese exclusive (and some of the Japanese edits of) Transformers series

There are also numerous series adapted from manga that I'll really enjoy the manga, but I'm not too fond of the anime adaptation.  A few examples are Naruto, Shaman King and Yu-Gi-Oh (although I absolutely love Yu-Gi-Oh: The Abridged Series).

RE: Anime/Manga General - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-18-2014

Hey I'm rising this thread from the dead (hopefully).

Who is the best anime? When is the greatest robot, discuss these questions and more.

For example Girls Und Panzer is the best anime ever:

[img][Image: XIapnMp.jpg][/img]

But on other notes, what is everyone watching this season? Feel free to talk about how much you hate Sword art online, how much you love log horizon, and everything in between.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-18-2014

(07-18-2014, 01:19 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: talk about how much you hate Sword art online, how much you love log horizon, and everything in between.

...but I like SAO. I treat it as exactly what it is, not what I'd want it to be. Also, I want that VR system. So. Much.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Berrod Armstrong - 07-18-2014

...I'm not really a fan of Anime or Manga. I sort of check out things people recommend sometimes (I regret Kill la Kill forever), but I've never really looked out for the stuff on my own. I do read a few of them there annie-mays though.

I read...Shingeki No Kyojin, Terra Formars and Claymore. I also read Karate Shoukousho Kohinata Minoru because it's about martial arts and helps a lot with my fight scenes in roleplay.

I don't really watch o'them thar mangas because well. Eh. Kill la Kill was the last one and I didn't like it.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Edgar - 07-18-2014

[Image: FLCL.jpg]

I think it's a necessity that every human ever watch this anime.

*Runs off to smack people with guitars*

RE: Anime/Manga General - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-18-2014

(07-18-2014, 01:31 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: ...I'm not really a fan of Anime or Manga. I sort of check out things people recommend sometimes (I regret Kill la Kill forever), but I've never really looked out for the stuff on my own. I do read a few of them there annie-mays though.

I read...Shingeki No Kyojin, Terra Formars and Claymore. I also read Karate Shoukousho Kohinata Minoru because it's about martial arts and helps a lot with my fight scenes in roleplay.

I don't really watch o'them thar mangas because well. Eh. Kill la Kill was the last one and I didn't like it.

Kill la Kill is kind of love or hate, a lot of people are put off at first but I think it has good points to make about how the female body is treated in media. I can definitely understand not liking it though.

Anyone who plays lots of this game might enjoy Log Horizon, which is a 'trapped in an mmo' anime. It deals less with fighting and more with more interesting things, like how the players would form governments, keep an economy, use diplomacy with NPC factions, etc etc.

It also has the best Cat People ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uglezAxn6J0

RE: Anime/Manga General - Zhavi - 07-18-2014

This season? Sure!

Zankyou no Terror. I am obsessed with the soundtrack. And the character designs. And the animation.
Aldnoah Zero -- year of the mecha!
Ao Haru Ride -- romantic shoujo/josei is my guilty pleasure.
Captain Earth -- ehhh, it's something to watch
Glasslip -- because Nagi was a trip to watch. Though some of it got super irritating towards the end.
RE:_Hamatora. I'm a masochist who likes complaining.
Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun. If it can't keep up the humor, I'll be dropping it.
Sailor Moon Crystal. Sailor Moon was the veeeery first anime I ever watched. Yup, I'm Toonami generation.
Magic High. Because the lead reminds me of the lead from Darker Than Black (but a little less awesome). That and I like complaining about how creepy the sister is.

I might start watching Tokyo Ghoul and there was another horror one that sounded interesting, but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

I recently watched Michiko to Hatchin and I have to wonder why it took me so long to watch it. It's set in South America, has some lovely character development, a wonderfully jazzy/latin soundtrack (not something good enough to make me want to listen to it on its own, though), and, well, it was wonderfully entertaining to me.

I probably watch way too much anime. I keep it carefully hidden from most people who know me irl, though (excluding close friends). :s

edit - LOL, Berrod. Yeah, I couldn't stop watching Kill la Kill and I don't know why, and by the time I was ready to be done with it I felt like I HAD to finish it to make up for what I'd already watched -- like, well, I'm close enough. It is definitely. . .unique.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Kage - 07-18-2014

I think you remember how I complained that I lost sleep over Girls und Panzer ;p

So. Good!

Also, No Game No Life turned out to be likeable.

SAO I like but Log Horizon is better.

Also, HunterxHunter.

I could name more that I like but blah the list is long.

RE: Anime/Manga General - TheLastCandle - 07-18-2014

As far as new/current anime goes, just Persona 4 Golden for me. I'm still bitter about Space Brothers ending its run or going on hiatus, whichever it is. I just finished catching up on Silver Spoon.

I'm more of a seinen type when it comes to manga and anime, but Silver Spoon is pretty enjoyable. No convoluted pseudo-science-fantasy plot, just good humor and lotsa feels!

You know what deserves to get an anime? This manga right here:

[Image: Vinland_Saga_volume_01_cover.jpg]

RE: Anime/Manga General - Gaspard - 07-18-2014

Ho boy. I literally grew up on Japanese Anime/Manga, save for a handful of other things. Nowadays however I feel like im deviating away from it because..I don't know, I get the feeling authors in Japan ran out of ideas and nowadays it's more about baiting people with 'cute loli art', rather then a captivating story or something innovative. Most of it nowadays is rehashed too, playing into some type of basic trope already established by other animes, just way better.

That's why I had such high hopes for Shingeki no Kyojin (Aka Attack on Titan), but towards the end of season 2 it just turned into the same type of off-the-mill formulaic anime. 

My personal favorites would have to be:

Cowboy Bebop (Including the Movie): Bang, nuff said.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: One of the 'few' Anime that had a protagonist that did not turn into a cookie-cutter hero, but instead remained the conflicted, broken little teenager.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood: While it's pretty straightforward and also on the Shonen formula, it had a great art style, a gripping story and most importantly, wasn't as predictable as it seemed. Keeps closely to the Manga as opposed to the original Anime, which is a good thing.

Ghost in the Shell(Movie and series): No brainer. Features a strong-female protagonist and an epic sci-fi setting.

Hellsing Ultimate: While Alucard is just a 'tad' too much on the Mary Sue/Gary Stu overpowered level, It still features an amazing story, and went full blown nazi, which is rare.

Monster: Because it features one of my favorite baddies ever

Durara!(rararaa.ra.ar.ar..ra..ra....raaaa..): original, funny, lighthearted and yet had it's touching moments. Shizuo and Izaya where comedy gold.

Darker then black (FIRST SEASON): Because the first was awesome and the second just sold too hard into that Loli trope I so absolutely loathe.

Code Geass: While it didn't do anything original, it managed to borrow nearly everything good, mix it together, and put it on steroids. It was over the top, and yet still managed to remain believable under the terms of it's own fiction. Besides, It featured one of the most cold-hearted, sadistic twats as protagonists, which was somewhat of a nice, fresh change compared to your off the mill goody-two shoes. Also: BURITAAAAANIAAAAA

I could go on and on, but I'd probably end up writing half a novel just to list them all

RE: Anime/Manga General - TheLastCandle - 07-18-2014

Cowboy Bebop is probably the GOAT, for me. Story, world presentation, SOUNDTRACK(!!!), it all comes together in a glorious package.

Hajime no Ippo might be my favorite shonen manga. I just wish they'd animate chapters more frequently! I was enjoying the hell out of Hajime no Ippo: Rising on Crunchyroll. It's so good.

Basilisk is an underrated gem, IMO. It's a seinen manga/anime retelling of novel The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, which itself is essentially Romeo and Juliet - with ninja. What's not to love?

Samurai Champloo is, I feel, not appreciated as much as it should be due to being compared to Watanabe's other directorial work, Cowboy Bebop. But there's a lot of heart there, and some of the most well-animated fight sequences I've seen in anime.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Gaspard - 07-18-2014

(07-18-2014, 02:34 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: Cowboy Bebop is probably the GOAT, for me. Story, world presentation, SOUNDTRACK(!!!), it all comes together in a glorious package.

Hajime no Ippo might be my favorite shonen manga. I just wish they'd animate chapters more frequently! I was enjoying the hell out of Hajime no Ippo: Rising on Crunchyroll. It's so good.

Basilisk is an underrated gem, IMO. It's a seinen manga/anime retelling of novel The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, which itself is essentially Romeo and Juliet - with ninja. What's not to love?

Samurai Champloo is, I feel, not appreciated as much as it should be due to being compared to Watanabe's other directorial work, Cowboy Bebop. But there's a lot of heart there, and some of the most well-animated fight sequences I've seen in anime.

Samurai Champloo was a 'tad' too off for me. The blend between hip hop and Samurai culture didn't really work for me.

Basilisk was awesome, Agreed. Though alot on the depressing side.

RE: Anime/Manga General - Meghatron - 07-18-2014

I'm a big fan of Chi's Sweet Home, adorable AND accurate kitten-raising stories in bite sized episodes! 
Gurren Lagann, Space Dandy, Cowboy Bebop, and Kill la Kill are also super enjoyable!
And on the terribly deceptive magical girl story end I also liked Princess Tutu and Madoka.