Hydaelyn Role-Players
No, please... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: No, please... (/showthread.php?tid=4741)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

No, please... - SessionZero - 09-25-2013

Just start crafting where we're RPing, you're not being intrusive or anything. Frustrated

[Image: ffxiv_09242013_230156_zpse706d724.png]

RE: No, please... - Brave - 09-25-2013

Deep breath...
The trolls are everywhere, but with the power of our imaginations, we will prevail over their inconsiderate behavior =)

RE: No, please... - Uther - 09-25-2013

Sometimes I think griefers are funny. One time we had a Roegadyn sit down in the same chair as one of us, completely covering one of our RPers as they were speaking. We all got a good laugh out of it. Another time we had four naked guys on goobbues start jumping up and down on us mid-conversation.

They're assholes, but there's nothing you can really do except laugh it off.

RE: No, please... - Rosekitten - 09-25-2013

Zero x'D i need to show you the images I got Tongue

i have to admit I myself was laughing pretty hard, I was almost crying. >w<

edit: granted I meant when we had the other trolls pop in and started table dancing.

RE: No, please... - LiadansWhisper - 09-25-2013

Might try asking them politely to move.  It works a lot of the time for me.

RE: No, please... - K'dath - 09-25-2013

I can't say if that's any worse than 'Crane Trolling' which became really popular on my WoW server. People would get the crane mounts which just make the most awful noise you ever hear, and honk at RPers relentlessly. For hours.

You have to wonder, how devoid their lives are of any humor if they can afford hours to simply spoiling another person's enjoyment of a game we all pay money to play. I would say simply don't let it get to you. They're having fun they only way they know how, because their minds are small.

RE: No, please... - Pondahl - 09-25-2013

It's very easy to say this, but... ignore 'em~

It's something that comes with time and practice.  You accept that people are willing to give up hours of their lives to try and get a reaction on a game they're paying to play, and they no longer phase you~

And with selective use of blacklist, you can filter them out of your chatbox, too.  That requires less time and practice Tongue

RE: No, please... - Nimarhie - 09-25-2013

You know... that's actually harrassment... you could make a complaint ticke; politely remind the GM that you are a paying customer andall that still, just because you're rping doesn't mean you're not playing the game.

You should really feel sorry for these folk, if they can sit there for hours and try to disrupt u
Your game time then they must have no social lives at all. Probably narrow minded children who learned how to be bullies from their dad (or are just sociopaths).

Pat them on the back and tell them it,s ok, jesus loves them even though no one else does... lol that should send them into a nerdrage. Lol

(09-25-2013, 04:47 AM)Chrisaux Wrote: It's very easy to say this, but... ignore 'em~

It's something that comes with time and practice.  You accept that people are willing to give up hours of their lives to try and get a reaction on a game they're paying to play, and they no longer phase you~

And with selective use of blacklist, you can filter them out of your chatbox, too.  That requires less time and practice Tongue

I believe someone else mentioned in a thread about griefing that, while people that don't like RP are free to blacklist RPers so they don't see their RP in their chat logs, we can't exactly block the graphics of their whole bodies sitting on top of us, or tossing nauseating spell effects at us.

Ignoring them rarely works as well as you like. You need to be upfront. You don't need to be as much of an asshole as they are in return, but you need to be stern.

"Excuse me, sir, but you're going out of your way to bother us while we have no intent of bothering you. If you're offended by our role playing you are free to blacklist us so they you do not have to abide it. Please and thank you."

And if they feel the need to be a snark back, kindly remind them that Square has a zero tolerance policy on harassment and ask them kindly again to cease and desist. If they start swearing or using vulgar language, that alone is cause for suspension. Write a ticket and blacklist them. Go somewhere else if it bothers you, because even though they 'win' by driving you away, you know you have the moral high ground, and that should be enough. It's just a space in a game, as good as any other.

Shockingly enough, politely asking them to leave works most often, in my experience. They're either shocked or shamed into silence and shuffle off because what they want from you is anger. Ignoring them encourages them to continue until they get a response, and usually their persistence will last longer than your average RPers temper. Don't call them names or say rude things to them, it just puts you on their level.

Not going to quote, because... too long, adds to the required scrolling of the page, but...
You have far more faith in people than I, X'chail Heart Which is good or bad, depending on where you stand.

Haha, it's far less faith than it is years of headaches. Though I do prefer to think that people are good, until they are bad.

Most people will act like jerks because it gives them an ego boost. Being polite in return is usually jarring to them because it's not what they expect, and they don't know how to react. They become self-conscious because you have more self-control than they do, and they leave with wounded pride, less likely to do it again soon or risk humiliation again. 

Though these are just observations I've made over the years in other games. It'll naturally vary from game to game, server to server, and person to person.

Some people are just damaged goods and delight in that fact, and there's nothing you can do about them.

RE: No, please... - Uther - 09-25-2013

Had a lalafell run up to us tonight and say "lol rp"

He came back five minutes later and spammed /laugh and /chuckle for a few minutes. I thought it was kind of funny because our conversation was pretty serious. As accusations are flying and authority is being questioned, you have this little kid shaking his arms and laughing his ass off at something in the distance. I like to pretend it was a butterfly or a squirrel.

I didn't mind it because blacklist exists to stop the chat spam and I can just ignore the guy easily enough, but I can see how it could bother some people.

RE: No, please... - Katanyae - 09-25-2013

(09-25-2013, 04:56 AM)Nimarhie Wrote: You know... that's actually harrassment... you could make a complaint ticke; politely remind the GM that you are a paying customer andall that still, just because you're rping doesn't mean you're not playing the game.

You should really feel sorry for these folk, if they can sit there for hours and try to disrupt u
Your game time then they must have no social lives at all. Probably narrow minded children who learned how to be bullies from their dad (or are just sociopaths).

Pat them on the back and tell them it,s ok, jesus loves them even though no one else does... lol that should send them into a nerdrage. Lol

Personally I think that's a waste of time.

It was a guy that decided to craft. It's not up to the playerbase to decide when and where he can do it.

Roleplayers need to start having some thicker skin and not letting everything bother them. Not trying to play devil's advocate or start a fight, and I know this view probably won't be so highly veiwed by Rpers. But for goodness sake if everytime something bad happens we cry like we spilt milk then the NON-RPers win. And win and win again. And keep ON winning long after the action took place.

RE: No, please... - Taeh Niumoenwyn - 09-25-2013

It's my firm belief that the main reason they do it is to generate a reaction from us. Obviously they're hoping for us to rage at them and they probably consider they have won if we do. Even if we respond politely and calmly they have still succeeded in disrupting our roleplay.

Why do they do this? Probably a whole raft of reasons but high on the list is that they have nothing better to do at that time and trying to get a reaction from us makes them believe their efforts had an effect.

So whilst at times it might be very hard, I strongly recommend you totally ignore them. Eventually they will get bored, they don't usually have the greatest attention span, and move on. If they really don't leave you alone after 5-10 minutes, I'm thinking of someone who has started a long crafting run as possibly happened here, then make it appear that you've brought your roleplay session to an end, then move off and if necessary gather elsewhere and continue.

(09-25-2013, 06:07 AM)X Wrote: Haha, it's far less faith than it is years of headaches. Though I do prefer to think that people are good, until they are bad.

Most people will act like jerks because it gives them an ego boost. Being polite in return is usually jarring to them because it's not what they expect, and they don't know how to react. They become self-conscious because you have more self-control than they do, and they leave with wounded pride, less likely to do it again soon or risk humiliation again. 

Though these are just observations I've made over the years in other games. It'll naturally vary from game to game, server to server, and person to person.

Some people are just damaged goods and delight in that fact, and there's nothing you can do about them.
Years worth of training myself not to see them anymore Tongue Both are viable routes to take~