Hydaelyn Role-Players
General Lore Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: General Lore Questions (/showthread.php?tid=4766)

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 04-13-2016

Mh yes Earth my bad... Not sure what made me write fire... duh.

So we know that the 7th umbral calamity was actually Astral? Makes sense since Astral follows directly after on the calendar and elemental order, of course, but is there any mention of that somewhere? 1.0 maybe?

RE: General Lore Questions - L'ohba Tia - 04-13-2016

(04-13-2016, 07:36 AM)Seriphyn Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 04:40 AM)Shoshopu Wrote: Do we know if Raubahn has ever had an encounter with Ifrit?

It is said in the early 2.0 memorial speeches by Alphinaud that Ul'dah regularly assembles armies to cut down Ifrit every time he rises. Presumably this was before the Scions.

So. Maybe?

Raubahn himself is way too valuable to send against Ifrit and risk tempering, so that's very, very unlikely. The Flames did used to send groups along with Echo-users from Minfilia's Path of the Twelve to fight him.

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 04-13-2016

(04-13-2016, 09:48 AM)Valence Wrote: So we know that the 7th umbral calamity was actually Astral? Makes sense since Astral follows directly after on the calendar and elemental order, of course, but is there any mention of that somewhere? 1.0 maybe?

We do not know 100% for sure, but it makes the most sense if we are going off the elements. Zodiark extinguishing the Light and returning the world to darkness sounds much more Umbral aspected than Astral, but who knows.

Also, in 1.0, it was actually believed by NPCs that the 6th Astral Era would last until the end of time. When the Archons came along quoting the 7th Verse of Mezaya Thousand Eyes' Divine Chronicles it was considered panic-inciting and some city-states attempted to arrest Urianger, and Limsa did arrest the Wandering Minstrel who was also quoting the Divine Chronicles and scaring the commonfolk. So yeah, no reference to which element the oncoming calamity would be. For all we know, it could just be unaspected. And seeing as how we're supposed to prevent said Umbral aspected calamity (#8) from happening, we'd only ever have seven, dispelling the 8 elemental theory.

In short, who knows.

RE: General Lore Questions - Aaron - 04-13-2016

Found this out earlier,

For those wondering why retainers bring back some pretty gnarly stuff and how they do it lol, they use larger version of those gold rush carts (Yes, like the minion).

It's explained on the little info after using the item, and funny enough also explains why said carts are never full of gold.

Looks like y'all retainer might actually be richer than you.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 04-26-2016

What do we know about mammets? Are they magitek? Are they living creatures? A mix between both? The MSQ showing the mammet heart seems to hint at more than just machines... Or are they just like allagan nodes in a less advanced fashion?

I find the question interesting because when thinking about it it's not that easy to find the exact boundary between machines and magicks in that universe. Some ancient civilizations like Mach and Nym and Amdapor elevated magical arts to unequaled highs, while others like Allag did the same but with technology based on magicks (Magitek, etc). The only thing that never change is that everyone and everything uses Aether as a base ingredient..

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 04-26-2016

(04-26-2016, 05:18 AM)Valence Wrote: What do we know about mammets? Are they magitek? Are they living creatures? A mix between both? The MSQ showing the mammet heart seems to hint at more than just machines... Or are they just like allagan nodes in a less advanced fashion?

Mammets, or as they're more commonly referred to, Automatons are simple clockwork technology developed roughly 100 years ago in Ul'dah. While most similar to early Allagan clockwork technology and for all accounts follow similar structure, it is unknown for certain if modern automatons are based off their ancient Allagan ancestors.

What we do know is that the first modern mammet was created 100 years ago and was named Mnejing. All modern mammets are based on Mnejing's design, though many have been outfitted for a variety of purposes such as security, gladiatorial combat, advertisement, banner carriers, and more. Most clockwork or automaton minions are created using mammet technology.

While automatons are little more than gears, cogs, and bolts held together by silver connector components, which allow aether to flow throughout the mammet's body and move its extremities. What creates a unique, sentient automaton is its core or heart. While the core's exact composition is unknown, a makeshift core made from electrum, pearl, and materia is used to save Mnejing in the Goldsmith storyline. As materia is made from condensing aetherial and soul energy into a solid mass, it makes sense this could be used as a replacement core.

According to the current Goldsmith guildmaster, it takes an incredible amount of skill in goldsmithing to produce a working mammet, and that they require constant maintenance of their small parts to maintain. Of note, the Sharlayans were also accomplished doll makers, but it is yet unknown if these are also similarly constructed mammet automatons or if they're inanimate objects brought to life using golem magicks.

Encyclopedia Eorzea Wrote:1466 - The Goldsmiths' Guild of Ul'dah adapts advanced clockwork mechanisms to fashion the first mammet, a living puppet. The prototype mammet is named Mnejing

Serendipity Wrote:Most mammets are rather simple, capable of no more than rudimentary speech. They can be relied upon for menial tasks, but little else.

Mammet 001 Wrote:Summons a fully operational clockwork puppet built in a joint effort by the Alchemists' and Goldsmiths' Guilds.

Mammet 001 Wrote:The standard frill-free #001 model is not only the best-selling mammet on the market, but is the blueprint on which all other clockwork servitors are based.

Serendipity Wrote:Gigi ate it! Mammets can't even taste food!

Serendipity Wrote:Anyway...silver was historically prized for its beauty. Ancient peoples even believed it to possess magical properties. Although they did not completely understand the natural processes involved, they were in fact correct. It's difficult to explain to someone without an extensive background in the relevant fields, but let's just say that silver is really, really good at channeling aether.

For this reason, silver is the material of choice for making a mammet's precision parts. Thankfully, the component responsible for Gigi's erratic behavior is within my ability to craft. But gods forbid that his core should ever be damaged. ...Oh, the core? It's like, well...it's everything that makes Gigi himself. His memories, his personality─his soul, really.

Serendipity Wrote:I...I think his core might be irreparably damaged. It was made over a hundred years ago with techniques that have long since been forgotten. If it has failed, then he is forever lost to us...

Mammet Heart Wrote:The clockwork soul of a mammet.

Serendipity Wrote:You see, he's by far the oldest mammet we have here, having been constructed by one of our former guildmasters over a century ago. In fact, I'm the nineteenth guildmaster he has assisted, according to records. But what our records didn't contain was his original name, which was so faintly inscribed upon his core that it went unnoticed until now. Gigi is Mnejing, ─the first mammet ever built, and the mammet whose design on which all others are based!

Ovjang Wrote:Ovjang. A mammet of some antiquity, last in possession of a wealthy collector who suffered from a particularly virulent case of buyer's remorse. He ordered the mammet disassembled and sold off for parts. However, once under the chisel, the mammet came to and attacked the smith, wounding her badly before making its escape.

Hope this helps! ^^

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 04-26-2016

Ah interesting...! 

I wonder though, as it was a tad hidden behind my question I guess, if it enters the category of Magitek stuff? Or what are the boundaries of what constitutes Magitek as a definition? I tend to see it as every piece of technology that specifically make use and channels aether, but I'm not totally sure of myself here, since it would also include staffs and canes and bows and crude stuff like that...

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 04-26-2016

(04-26-2016, 03:30 PM)Valence Wrote: I wonder though, as it was a tad hidden behind my question I guess, if it enters the category of Magitek stuff? Or what are the boundaries of what constitutes Magitek as a definition? I tend to see it as every piece of technology that specifically make use and channels aether, but I'm not totally sure of myself here, since it would also include staffs and canes and bows and crude stuff like that...

They are considered separate and differing technologies. Magitek, like a brand name, is Garlean mechina specifically. It was created roughly 50 years ago by reverse engineering Allagan technology and war machines. Where as Clockwork, while similar to a technology used by the ancient Allagans, was developed independently 100 years ago in Eorzea.

When you see magitek in Eorzea, it is because of the Garlond Ironworks, a group of Garlean engineers who defected from the empire 15 years ago after the Bozja Citadel massacre. These engineers brought with them Garlean technology so that they could help balance the war between Eorzea and Garlemald. Later, under the Galadion Accord, Limsa Lominsan privateers were paid to loot Garlean vessels and salvage whatever components and tech they can find to turn in to the Ironwork's workshops to reverse engineer.

More detailed lore on the Garlond Ironworks and Magitek can be found in the spoiler below:
Show Content

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 04-27-2016

Mh ok, so Magitek is more of a vernacular garlean word for their own specific brand of tech rather than a true universal term for everything. Gotcha. Makes sense.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 04-27-2016

Hey now i'm confused. One of the citations above (Jijina, whoever that is) says that tomestones have become useless due to their age and are only collector items now.

Why is that in the 3.0 SMN quests Y'Mithra clearly says "I shall consult my tomestones" countless times?

RE: General Lore Questions - Sounsyy - 04-27-2016

(04-27-2016, 03:29 PM)Valence Wrote: Hey now i'm confused. One of the citations above (Jijina, whoever that is) says that tomestones have become useless due to their age and are only collector items now.

Why is that in the 3.0 SMN quests Y'Mithra clearly says "I shall consult my tomestones" countless times?

Jijina is one of Cid's Garlond Ironworks engineers. But the discrepancy goes back to deliberate misinformation from unreliable narrators. At the time, the Garlond Ironworks didn't know how to get the tomestones to work. And many of them didn't work. It's essentially like having a USB drive with no computer to plug it into.

Nael van Darnus knew how to read and use the tomestones. Y'mhitra and the Sons of Saint Coinach know how to read them now. Even the Grand Companies have data mammets used to extract data from the Allagan tomestones and monoliths on Seal Rock. But still, some tomestones are broken and are really nothing better than collectors items... or currency as far as a dealer in antiquities like Rowena are concerned.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 04-28-2016

After a bit of thougth that's also the logical conclusion I came to..

RE: General Lore Questions - Charity322 - 05-01-2016

I was wondering something about the Battle of Carteneau. IC my Ishgardian char didn't participate, but I was wondering if Ishgard sent soldiers at all or were they too busy fighting the Dravanians?

Just wondered if anyone in her family was likely to have fought or not.

RE: General Lore Questions - Valence - 05-01-2016

There was only the three core city states as far as I recall: Ul'dah, Limsa and Gridania, leaded by their respective military leaders (Raubahn, Merlwyb and Kan-E Sena). 

The Holy See of Ishgard declined officially to join in the war against Nael Van Darnus and his meteor project 5 years ago, and so were absent from Carteneau. It was an unfortunate surprise for the rest of the Eorzean alliance since they were allied and intervened in the Autumn War before, where Ala-Migho tried to invade Gridania.

RE: General Lore Questions - Charity322 - 05-02-2016

Thanks!