Hydaelyn Role-Players
Eorzea's Accents - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Eorzea's Accents (/showthread.php?tid=4804)

Pages: 1 2 3

Eorzea's Accents - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-27-2013

Alright so I've had a little trouble with them accents. In WoW it was pretty straight forward... There weren't really a ton of accents, really.

In FFXIV I'm having some difficulty. I -know- there's an accent in Ul'dah, and I think there's one for Limsa Lominsa and honestly I'm having trouble telling between the two. I also know the Scions/Circle have their own British thing going on. Anyway, if you guys can identify the regional accents (I really don't think we should discuss whether -every- character in a region has an accent) and give an example of a sentence, I would greatly appreciate it.

RE: Eorzea's Accents - Rosekitten - 09-27-2013

The limsa one seems to be more or less along the lines of sailor talk from what I've noticed (not sure the correct term for this.. so i'm sorry in advanced). Skipping over a few of the letters and such or leaving off g's 

Though some of the NPC's do seem to talk similar to the ones you find in Ul'dah as well. Could vary depending on background I suppose?

~just my five cents im no language or speech master that is for sure~ 

As far as a character with a accent I know I have a flair of the Limsa one in mine after he ended up living there nearly ten years as a young teen. I also know the captain of the FC I'm in has a heavy accept as far as that goes. I can't think of any other characters I've noticed with a accent yet or I'd point them your way so you can get more feedback.

edit for examples or slight research i did during the beta to get my own characters accent correct with the region. As I said.. not perfect but it's what I gathered from the npc's anyway so I'd assume it is lore correct to the region ^^;
Show Content

RE: Eorzea's Accents - Gharen - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 05:46 PM)Siobhain Wrote: Alright so I've had a little trouble with them accents. In WoW it was pretty straight forward... There weren't really a ton of accents, really.

In FFXIV I'm having some difficulty. I -know- there's an accent in Ul'dah, and I think there's one for Limsa Lominsa and honestly I'm having trouble telling between the two. I also know the Scions/Circle have their own British thing going on. Anyway, if you guys can identify the regional accents (I really don't think we should discuss whether -every- character in a region has an accent) and give an example of a sentence, I would greatly appreciate it.

As I'm sure you're aware, Gharen speaks with I would say a moderate to thick Scottish accent, which is something he almost did not have. I've seen a few NPC's here and there speak in a similar accent for instance the blacksmiths guild master in Limsa. I can't think of all of them but it's sprinkled through the game here and there. Ultimately I don't think that particular accent is region specific, though as I recall in the first cutscene regarding the Garlean empire a midlander claiming to be from Ala Mhigo was sporting one as well, just before he was offed. I could be wrong on that so please correct me if I am.

RE: Eorzea's Accents - Nimarhie - 09-27-2013

Limsa accent makes me think of Boomhauer from King of the Hill when Baedron talks. lol

Gridania accent you could probly put an Irish accent and it would fit, or a American redneck accent (lol).

RE: Eorzea's Accents - DAISHI - 09-27-2013

I'm almost sure Minfilia is forcing hers.

RE: Eorzea's Accents - Tobias Nightbringer - 09-27-2013

The Hydaelyn voice (I think she would be considered 'Hydaelyn) when your character first goes on their acid trip is definitely some kind of European accent. Old English maybe?

Only other voice I've heard so far is Thancred. I THINK it was also some kind of Western European accent? Possibly British? I too was staring at his face rather than looking at his voice and thinking to myself, "Damn...why couldn't I have made such a Bishi-boy? xD"

RE: Eorzea's Accents - Nimarhie - 09-27-2013

I listen to the cutscenes in Japanese. :3 As long as they don't speak in Yokohama area or Hokkaido dialects, I can understand some of what they say. lol

(09-27-2013, 06:39 PM)Nimarhie Wrote: I listen to the cutscenes in Japanese. :3 As long as they don't speak in Yokohama area or Hokkaido dialects, I can understand some of what they say. lol

Does it make me a horrible person whenever I tell my friends who talk about Asian culture and the like, "ARR RROOK/SOUND SAME!"? xD

Now I'm not saying I'm racist...but I am saying I'm racist Tongue

RE: Eorzea's Accents - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 09-27-2013

(09-27-2013, 06:43 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 06:39 PM)Nimarhie Wrote: I listen to the cutscenes in Japanese. :3 As long as they don't speak in Yokohama area or Hokkaido dialects, I can understand some of what they say. lol

Does it make me a horrible person whenever I tell my friends who talk about Asian culture and the like, "ARR RROOK/SOUND SAME!"? xD

Now I'm not saying I'm racist...but I am saying I'm racist Tongue

I discovered at a young age that the side of my family is faaaaaaaaaaaaaar more racist (particularly against other Asians) than the caucasian side. I find it... shall we say... hirarious?

I swear the Limsa and Ul'dah accents -do- sound a touch similar but the Limsa does sound a bit more 'pirate-y' and the Ul'dah sounds... I... er... uh... I 'unno. Feels like so long since I did a cutscene in Ul'dah that I have no idea.

And then there's the Sultana's tiny voice with the uber proper sound to it. *flails* My issue thus far is that Sio makes it a point to speak as 'properly' as she can. Very few to no contractions which gives her a somewhat impersonal feel (as is the intent). Once in a while when she gets super angry she dissolves into an accent that's a bit pirate-y. Even when speaking 'normally' she uses a lot of 'ye' 'aye' 'nay' 'naught' 'ought' etc.

RE: Eorzea's Accents - cuideag - 09-27-2013

I've seen a few NPCs with kind of southernish American accents so I kind of ran with that... @____@

(09-27-2013, 07:06 PM)Siobhain Wrote:
Show Content

LOL, that is HIRRRARIOUS since when I was younger (many many moons ago xD) my old generation of a family also had "old school/traditional" racism towards certain other Asians.

Now it is just mainly the older Japanese generation being HUGELY xenophobic. And my people performing the best sex changes the world literally has to offer Big Grin 

TANGENT FTW!

Gaaah, and on another side note, we STILL need to have our characters meet >.<

(09-27-2013, 07:08 PM)cuideag Wrote: I've seen a few NPCs with kind of southernish American accents so I kind of ran with that... @____@

Like is that what you imagined when you read their dialogue or are there actual cutscenes where Billy Bob Thorton comes slanging along? xD I want a Southern Belle!

(09-27-2013, 07:55 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 07:06 PM)Siobhain Wrote:
Show Content

LOL, that is HIRRRARIOUS since when I was younger (many many moons ago xD) my old generation of a family also had "old school/traditional" racism towards certain other Asians.

Now it is just mainly the older Japanese generation being HUGELY xenophobic. And my people performing the best sex changes the world literally has to offer Big Grin 

My heritage begs to diffah, good sir.

(09-27-2013, 07:06 PM)Siobhain Wrote: My heritage begs to diffah, good sir.

Oh? Are we differing on the old school generation of Japanese (that STILL live in Japan. Those that do not are exempt from this rule) being xenophobic (also Tokyo is exempt from this!). Or that my heritage holds the title of having the best sex change operations? xD

(09-27-2013, 09:41 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 07:06 PM)Siobhain Wrote: My heritage begs to diffah, good sir.

Oh? Are we differing on the old school generation of Japanese (that STILL live in Japan. Those that do not are exempt from this rule) being xenophobic (also Tokyo is exempt from this!). Or that my heritage holds the title of having the best sex change operations? xD

The second, unless you are Thai. Because Thais are recognized for their kathoey.

Yes us Thai's are known for that, aren't we? ;P I'm not a Kathoey, but though admittedly I have been called pretty during the span of a few years...a lot >.>
Show Content