Hydaelyn Role-Players
Options to Run Realm Reborn on a Mac - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Options to Run Realm Reborn on a Mac (/showthread.php?tid=4835)

Options to Run Realm Reborn on a Mac - Mongoose - 09-29-2013

Current Status of Running FFXIV on a Mac

The Macintosh Client by Lodestone Radio
Status as of Sep 2013 - It works, it's free, there are some launch issues caused by the ESRB warning.

Use of Crossover 12.5
Status as of Sep 2013 - Not yet compatible.

Use of Parallels ver. 8.0.18100
Status of version 8.0.18100 with Windows 7 X4, FFXIV will not install to Windows 7 X4 under this version of Parallels. Higher versions of Parallels not yet tested. Update/Edit: Oct 1, Parallels 9, Windows 7 x4, and Realm Reborn are compatible.

Use of VM Ware Fusion
Status, Not yet tested

Use of Virtual Box (Public Domain)
Status, Not yet tested

Use of Apple Boot Camp and Windows 7 X4
Status, Compatible. Boot camp can be a pain in the ass to install, and the drive you dedicate to Boot Camp needs to be in Bay 1 during the install, but you can move it to another bay afterwards. Remember that while in Boot Camp, the step to format the target IBM volume to NTFS, not Fat32. Apple's instructions are not clear about this. Do all this on another drive, I don't recommend messing with your primary boot drive. FFXIV installs to and runs perfectly under Windows 7 X4.

Hardware:
Use of the MotionJoy Playstation Gamepad Controller (public domain) in tandem with Apple Boot Camp and Windows 7 X4
Status: It works perfectly provided you use a high quality USB cable, and provided you follow all the MotionJoy instructions, not just half way. When you launch Realm Reborn and attempt the calibration test, it doesn't always work, but when you get into the game it works fine. You still have use of the keyboard and mouse. While using your playstation game pad plugged into USB port, don't let it accidently come unplugged, if you do you have to reboot and re-setup Motion Joy. [/color] Update Oct 1: Install Motion Joy first, after installing Windows X4, Achieve success with the Playstation controller. With each bootup of Windows X4, always launch Motion Joy and do the vibration test prior to launching Realm Reborn

Use of the Razer Black Widow Gaming Keyboard in tandem with Apple Bootcamp and Windows 7 X4.
Status: Compatible. Under Windows 7 X4, just install and run the upgrade.
Caveat: If you use the Razer Synapse Mac driver on your Mac boot volume, use version 1.10.30. If you attempt to install version 1.13.01, you're in for pain and suffering. Version 1.13.01 will disable your finder and system prefs until you uninstall Synapse. Stick with version 1.10.30 and it works perfectly. On your Mac boot volume, you can remap the Command and Option Keys to where they belong. Yes, I did send a bug report to the Razer Corporation.

Applicable system for this message: Mac 2.8Ghz Quad-Core, 16 Gigs Core Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 (400 watts), Dedicated hard drive to Apple Boot Camp and the NTFS partition for Windows-7 X4. While running FFXIV, the GTX 285 spools up both fans on high, while it ramps up to full 400 watts.

FAQ: Mongoose, why didn't you test Fusion and Virtual Box, and the newest versions, really, now, this is lame!
Ans: There is this addictive game that's taking up my valuable Mac time, it's called FFXIV, Realm Reborn.

FAQ: Mongoose, why didn't you test your Playstation Controller under bluetooth?
Ans: Because I can't find my USB Bluetooth transceiver, and, on account of Realm Reborn, I don't have time to look for it. Smile

Reason for Edit: Added applicable system paragraph

RE: Options to Run Realm Reborn on a Mac - Mongoose - 09-29-2013

Quote:Use of the MotionJoy Playstation Gamepad Controller (public domain) in tandem with Apple Boot Camp and Windows 7 X4

Update on the use of MotionJoy. I found out the hard way, MotionJoy got corrupted and I had to reinstall. This has to be done sequentially or things will go bad.

1. Install Boot Camp. All BootCamp is, is a formatter utility, but it won't work unless a Windoze boot DVD or USB Ram is present. While running BootCamp, Windows-7 X4 will give you an opportunity to format the target partition; do so, otherwise Windows 7 X4 can't install. Windows-7 X4 installs and becomes operational in it's partition.
2. Install MotionJoy, plug in the PS-3 controller when it tells you to. Under Profiles tab pick Playstation 3. This will fail. Go to the Install drivers tab. This will fail, so pick the 2nd option to install anyway. It should succeed here, then go back to the profiles tab and test the controller (vibrate test).
MotionJoy is flakey, installing it first should make it slightly more reliable.
Leave the PS-3 game pad plugged in throughout, don't even think about unplugging it, until after you do a Windows 7 X4 shutdown.
3. Install Razer Synapse, and let it update if it wants to.
4. Install the RealTek Audio driver, provided by Apple in one of the bootcamp folders.
5. Lastly, install FFXIV. When FFXIV starts up, it will ask you to calibrate your PS-3 controller, this indicates success. Do the calibration and know that MotionJoy can cause problems later on.
Note: If, while your windows partition is active, you accidently unplug your PS-3 controller. MotionJoy gets corrupted and crap gets written back to disk, so you'll end up either doing a rull restore from backup or a full reinstall of everything.

Soon as I get a chance, I'll upgrade Parallels, and see if FFXIV will install then.
Cheers.