Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) (/showthread.php?tid=4919)

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 11-22-2015

Grindstone #111! 67 fighters!

...SIXTY SEVEN. You're madmen. You're insane. You're... you're incredible.

At the end of seven grueling rounds of combat, we crowned a new champion in Aekira Swyfte!

[Image: d5DW3G0.jpg]

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Sylastair - 11-22-2015

Had a ton of fun on Rei! Will be there next week to aid in turning this Lircle into a Circle!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - WorstRPerEver - 11-28-2015

Let's see if I can roll another 0 this time Big Grin

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Aaron - 11-29-2015

D/Cs outta nowhere made me go fuck it.

Oh well.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 11-29-2015

(11-29-2015, 01:52 AM)Aaron Wrote: D/Cs outta nowhere made me go fuck it.

Oh well.

We tried, man! Tonight just wasn't your night. Aaron is eliminated by his ISP. Sad

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Aaron - 11-29-2015

Tis all good.
I just imagine Aaron going nope and walking off lol

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 11-29-2015

It's two fucking AM on the East Coast. Do you know where you child is?

They're sure as hell not at the Grindstone! We wrapped up a few minutes ago. Check some sewers or something. You're a bad parent.

ANYWAY. 65 FIGHTERS ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND. ONE CHAMPION.

ALL HAIL RANDIS REMBRANDT.

[Image: snNGK6t.jpg]

This is a good time to mention that currently, the Grindstone pot is stocked enough to last until the end of 2015. It's because of that that I am happy to mention that January 2, 2016 will be the third Grindstone special event: Season's Beatings. It will be in line with the previous events: Name a price and a person you want to fight, or a match you wish to see if you're in the audience, and we'll give you what you want to see. I'll make a formal thread for it sometime this week.

Say, what's a fella gotta do to get a sweet-ass Grindstone logo or holiday event splash done? Let me know, because I want these things.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 12-01-2015

Minor weird mid-weekish update thingy:

So, if no one has noticed lately the Grindstone has kind of gotten to be a little crowded come event time. Now more than ever we're realizing that as a staff and crew working to make sure the event continues to go on unimpeded despite the increase in size. However, now more than ever, we're really noticing the fact that we're vastly, vastly outnumbered.

I do want to take a moment to thank specifically Screaming Silence, Flameson Hammersmith and Togy Brandmakt for volunteering to help Oversee when we needed it. I remembering joking ages ago that if we ever hit 64 fighters we could just split up in 8 8-person miniature tournaments, but that's only half true: Numerically that's the case but we just outright lack the manpower to field that many overseers.

So, in short, if anyone's familiar with the event and genuinely wants to pass on fighting for a week to help us keep track of the madness, I'm grateful for the help and would like you to make that plainly known to me. Anyone who's been remotely around me has heard me point out that this event isn't an obligation for anyone, but I think at this point I have to actually request help instead of waiting for it to float to me.

So if you want to give it a shot and you're a regular in one way or the other, let me know!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Greybarren - 12-01-2015

Folks chatted about this in one the RP linkshells I haunt during that last event.  Notably major props/kudos/gil to all the folks in keeping the event running and smoother than a lala's backside from many, many parties in there..  Fighters, spectators and all really seem to appreciate the effort.  Smile

It is one of the server's top social events by far (at least for me.)  The blood, sweat, and insanity is seriously appreciated.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-01-2015

(12-01-2015, 02:17 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: So, in short, if anyone's familiar with the event and genuinely wants to pass on fighting for a week to help us keep track of the madness, I'm grateful for the help and would like you to make that plainly known to me. Anyone who's been remotely around me has heard me point out that this event isn't an obligation for anyone, but I think at this point I have to actually request help instead of waiting for it to float to me.

So if you want to give it a shot and you're a regular in one way or the other, let me know!

I could maybe have Franz give it a shot if I show up for the week. And that means easy healing too!

Honestly, the chatscroll is a lot overwhelming now. I can barely keep up with my own matches lately, and my chatlog takes up nearly 1/4 of the screen.

Perhaps it might be time to start having some satellite zones on the map so that the say/yell chats can be managed a little easier? That line's gotten so big that players don't even render anymore. (Which says something when I'm pulling 60 FPS on max settings >_> )

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Warren Castille - 12-01-2015

(12-01-2015, 03:04 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 02:17 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: So, in short, if anyone's familiar with the event and genuinely wants to pass on fighting for a week to help us keep track of the madness, I'm grateful for the help and would like you to make that plainly known to me. Anyone who's been remotely around me has heard me point out that this event isn't an obligation for anyone, but I think at this point I have to actually request help instead of waiting for it to float to me.

I could maybe have Franz give it a shot if I show up for the week. And that means easy healing too!

Honestly, the chatscroll is a lot overwhelming now. I can barely keep up with my own matches lately, and my chatlog takes up nearly 1/4 of the screen.

Perhaps it might be time to start having some satellite zones on the map so that the say/yell chats can be managed a little easier? That line's gotten so big that players don't even render anymore. (Which says something when I'm pulling 60 FPS on max settings >_> )

This is something we talked about previously. The late Leggerless had a rough map of reorganizing some of the "zones" we use for this that we'd been considering: The main rock area would stay, and the tree group would move to the far side of the tree and technically be out of line of sight. Bridge group goes across the bridge and fights on the road to be away from the main group. The "plains" group would go further across to the right and be out of range of the bridge folks. There'd be a "Road" group that fights on the road on the way up to Ul'dah properly. We could put another on the "hill" group that's currently located on the anti-rock, directly across from the main stone and up the hill a ways.

It's probably time to put that into actual effect instead of just thinking about it! And yes, my game always has been having some challenges rendering everyone (name plates, especially) in the line-up. If anyone's been seeing Warren's head snap to everyone one at a time during roll call it's because I have to manually target now to make sure I get names correct. God damned Circlelines!

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-01-2015

(12-01-2015, 03:13 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(12-01-2015, 03:04 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:

This is something we talked about previously. The late Leggerless had a rough map of reorganizing some of the "zones" we use for this that we'd been considering: The main rock area would stay, and the tree group would move to the far side of the tree and technically be out of line of sight. Bridge group goes across the bridge and fights on the road to be away from the main group. The "plains" group would go further across to the right and be out of range of the bridge folks. There'd be a "Road" group that fights on the road on the way up to Ul'dah properly. We could put another on the "hill" group that's currently located on the anti-rock, directly across from the main stone and up the hill a ways.

It's probably time to put that into actual effect instead of just thinking about it! And yes, my game always has been having some challenges rendering everyone (name plates, especially) in the line-up. If anyone's been seeing Warren's head snap to everyone one at a time during roll call it's because I have to manually target now to make sure I get names correct. God damned Circlelines!

Perhaps it is time for GRIDS. OR MULTIPLE LINES.

If, anything, to help take some of the load off you and your computer.

(12-01-2015, 03:18 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: Perhaps it is time for GRIDS. OR MULTIPLE LINES.

If, anything, to help take some of the load off you and your computer.

I was thinking we could just create a series of hex-panels for people to group on based on class, race and current win-loss record that way we could get more even balances out of

Motherfucker you think the circle was PLANNED?! I can't even get people to form a single, straight line let alone TWO of them!

In seriousness though, I don't mind the line-up as it is. Makes for cool screenies, and I'm happy to adapt. Just means people need to put up with Warren's wagglehead during the opening bits.

People can play "Connect the Overseers".

Have overseers dress in a "line uniform" and players must form lines in between them.

If you have enough people, you can make a star. OR A PENTRAGRAM TO SUMMON A PRIMAL.

RE: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Jancis - 12-01-2015

Holy Work Batman!

Honestly having Judge follow the line makes such a difference in following along, but still the introductions go fast, so Warren must be going nuts at the start.

I always pay attention to the linkshell if things are short-handed, like Franz said it's a lot to keep up with and I'm not as awesome to manage it each week as Jancis so well. Usually I do a run by to see how many people are on the rock. 
But I think I can handle overseeing and yelling as much as throwing elixirs and amazing conjury powers at people. ((Especially since last weekend I got a sneak peek on some of the tactics used to help keep track.))

There was some talk in a RP linkshell about friends staying together and (in the past) how the group was more close-knit, obviously, because it was a SIXTH to a THIRD of the size. Dazed

The areas sound like a great idea, could I ask how matches are typically set up? Guess I'm asking if there's a way to 'trick the system' to keep friends together since people will be futher apart out of necessity.