Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Roleplay Events (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: The Grindstone - Saturdays at 10 PM EST (9 PM Central) (/showthread.php?tid=4919)

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Darkfae - 01-11-2014

These still going on? I've not made it out the past couple weeks due to being a bit busy, but I wanted to check on it.

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Gharen - 01-11-2014

These are indeed still going on. Every Weds and Sat at 10pm Eastern at just outside of Fesca's Wash in Central Thanalan

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Aysun - 01-11-2014

I really want to attend one! Smile Glad that they're still going on. Thanks for bumping this as I had lost the link.

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - C'kayah Polaali - 01-11-2014

They're a lot of fun, I really recommend coming.

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Asgarn - 01-11-2014

I have only ever attended, though I am considering taking part when it makes sense for Asgarn to IC. Halone guide your blades, fighters! Moogle

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Gharen - 01-11-2014

Tonight's Grindstone Tournament should be going on as planned at 10pm Eastern Outside of Fesca's Wash.

Rules for can be found >Here<

Spectators are welcome.

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Darkfae - 01-12-2014

Okies. I'll continue to cross post them then! They're pretty fun, so I really hope to be able to catch them again. Moogle

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Jana - 01-23-2014

I'm sad that I didn't make it tonight (I only just got home right now). I'll try to stop by on Saturday!

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Raeras - 02-17-2014

I am happy to announce that beginning this Saturday (February 22nd) Betting will open at Grindstone! For more information please see the 'How It Works' tab Here!

If there are any questions feel free to PM me or contact me in game!

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Darkfae - 03-11-2014

Doing that monthly cross posting thing (albiet a little late cus medical blahs). Grindstone still going strong?

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Solkasha Blynfyrsyn - 03-17-2014

I show up every other week - and every time there is a healthy number of fighters (8-16) and spectators (4-10).

Any issues that crop up get resolved - and every week things (time between matches, explanation of rules to fighters, gil transactions) get smoother and smoother.

Grindstone good.

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - synaesthetic - 03-18-2014

It doesn't really matter to me because I loathe emote fighting, but... 

... seriously? You exclude mages? What the fuck? So if you have a character who is a spellcaster they simply aren't allowed to participate?

Care to explain?

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Dogberry - 03-18-2014

I'm not a member of grindstone, but if they want to exclude mages, then that's up to them. Nobody's stopping anyone from a similar concept for DoM's based around formal magical duelling. In fact, that sounds like a damn cool idea.

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Darkfae - 03-23-2014

The Grindstone has always been more of a Fight Club type event, which focuses on the physical combat arts, rather than spellcasting. Rough and tumble fighter combat, and it's a unique thing they've got going. Keeping it purely physical also keeps a lot of "class balance" type problems that always come up between spell slingers and melee combatants from arising - keeps it all simple.

As mentioned, no one has really tried doing a dualling group for mages, and I really don't think anyone would get offended if someone did. Probably would take a lot more in the way of rules than purely physical combat though, which is likely why no one's done it yet.

Also, re-cross posted on the Dark Embers calendar. Had to remake it cus of damn DST bullshit and Enjin. T.T

RE: Grindstone Tournaments (Wed+Sat) - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 03-24-2014

(03-18-2014, 12:35 PM)synaesthetic Wrote: It doesn't really matter to me because I loathe emote fighting, but... 

... seriously? You exclude mages? What the fuck? So if you have a character who is a spellcaster they simply aren't allowed to participate?

Care to explain?

First off, Darkfae has the absolute right of it. Time and time again I've attempted to come up with a fair set of rules for spellcasters to use, but in the end, magic and most importantly people's vastly varying approach to magic in FFXIV makes it exceeding difficult to dictate any real rules for it. On top of that, the use of summons, whether faeries or primals, and then healing and such complicates everything. Trimming the abilities handicaps the classes; pitting them against physical fighters makes things vastly more difficult unless those physical fighters have supernatural abilities which many of ours do not.

In the end, the Grindstone rules are meant to be quick and easy. When I created the Grindstone there were plenty of mage or magic-oriented FCs and LSs so I thought doing something for the physical fighting characters to -show- that they were doing their thing and to experience another side of roleplay (emote fighting, as you call it) would be a great idea.

So far I've regretted nothing.

I've stated this before and will state it again: We don't discourage magical combat rpers. In fact I encourage it. And I'm always open to listening to suggestions on how we can make combat with all magic classes a feasible idea.

But right now it's simply not one for us, and I apologize if that makes you feel excluded, it was never my intention.

Magic users are always free to participate using physical combat skills.

ALSO

Soon there'll be a change. Wednesday nights are moving to Friday nights and there may be some change in whether or not it'll be training nights again or a slightly more advanced tournament.