Hydaelyn Role-Players
Grindstone New Ideas - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Grindstone New Ideas (/showthread.php?tid=4996)

Pages: 1 2 3

Grindstone New Ideas - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 10-10-2013

So, in an effort to assure this gets read by a healthy number of our members instead of wall-o-texting the LS directory page:

Some ideas were presented to me recently that seem amazing but that I have yet to implement. They are as follow:

Mobile Tournaments (Moving to other areas such as Gridania and Limsa Lominsa to hold our tournaments there from time to time.)- Faith 

Inviting merchants, salesmen, and craftsmen to peddle their wares or services (such as armorsmithing like the wonderful Aleister, or culinarian things and the like) ICly for some extra RP. - Norlaise

Blood Matches (remove all the rules except for the 'death blow' rule. This means cheap shots, environmental weapons, attacks to the groin or eyes, etc.) Also, due to the one existing mention of anything regarding magic-users being excluded from the regular tournaments I -may- consider allowing them to enter these tournaments under the IC pretense that physical warriors need to know how to overcome magic-users. - Me.

So, I love many of these ideas and if there are any comments or criticisms from current or future members of the Grindstone, feel free to contribute them here (tactfully...).

Also, for all three of these I need to organize my existing and future Overseers. I would like to keep the organization of these functions (i.e., 'representatives' in Gridania and Limsa Lominsa, messengers to merchants and organizing them, and professional healers) to members in the Free Company to assure they will have less of a likelihood to suffer any conflicting obligations with another Free Company or what have you.

Blood matches may also 'require' (icly more than oocly) something of an admission fee so that we can generate some sort of profit for our company.

Volunteers or suggestions?

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - Lost River - 10-10-2013

Themed Battles!

Battles that have a specific theme to correlate to. This can also be implemented in a moving tourney of sorts. For example, in Limsa Lominsa, you could say, the battlers have to fight in the water using water based type weaponry, like a paddle, or a trident and such. 

Special Event Battles!

Of course, it could be mixed with other types of matches, but it could be like, battle of the sexes, unarmed combat brawl, battle of the beauties. The list goes on and on.

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - Sigyn Shieldbreaker - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 02:59 PM)Lost River Wrote: Themed Battles!

Battles that have a specific theme to correlate to. This can also be implemented in a moving tourney of sorts. For example, in Limsa Lominsa, you could say, the battlers have to fight in the water using water based type weaponry, like a paddle, or a trident and such. 

Special Event Battles!

Of course, it could be mixed with other types of matches, but it could be like, battle of the sexes, unarmed combat brawl, battle of the beauties. The list goes on and on.

Those are pretty good ideas. Thank you.

Competition Between FC's/LS.

It can be a small thing such as two FC's using three best fighters, whoever wins 2 out of 3 wins.

And if more than one FC/LS, you use a bracket system of a fighter from each FC and the winners of both brackets face off in a blood match!

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - Rosekitten - 10-10-2013

I keep missing on seeking out the open events that you have posted for the Grindstone as such is life >w<

Though I love the ideas listed thus far and the ones Lost added. I think it could be fun to get some of the FC/LS's together and have a small competition of sorts (I say this is a good idea now till my leader barks at me that my character is one of the ones going.. >_> I hope that's not the case heh). 

Sadly though I don't have any other suggestions to add at the time and my headache probably isn't helping things. Either way best of luck with the new events and planning ^^

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - LandStander - 10-10-2013

Yes, yes, yes, for blood matches!

Edit: How about team battles or free companies vs free companies.

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - Aleister - 10-10-2013

d(^.^d)!

I do like the idea of team/FC battles but I do have a concern about that. I think it'll be difficult to do because of all who will attend either to view or to participate in these. I had a very hard time keeping up with the RP I had while also trying to read the fighter's RP.. :S I ended up accidentally ignoring some players who wanted to RP with me heh or idly waiting for a response that already happened. Don't get me wrong seeing all that RP made me happy! Just rather hard to keep up with how the chatlog is. Sad

(10-10-2013, 04:16 PM)Aleister Wrote: d(^.^d)!

I do like the idea of team/FC battles but I do have a concern about that. I think it'll be difficult to do because of all who will attend either to view or to participate in these. I had a very hard time keeping up with the RP I had while also trying to read the fighter's RP.. :S I ended up accidentally ignoring some players who wanted to RP with me heh or idly waiting for a response that already happened. Don't get me wrong seeing all that RP made me happy! Just rather hard to keep up with how the chatlog is. Sad

This is quite true. We already get a lot of people who show up as it is.

The spectators want to see the posts from the fighters and they want to make commentary but doing that floods the chatlogs for everyone involved. What we can do is FC versus FC challenges. Where a tournament is held for two competing FC's to put up two of their best fighters. In fact, we could go 2 v 2 as Denn suggested, as we've done it before and it was pretty amazing.

(10-10-2013, 03:33 PM)Lost River Wrote: Competition Between FC's/LS.

It can be a small thing such as two FC's using three best fighters, whoever wins 2 out of 3 wins.

And if more than one FC/LS, you use a bracket system of a fighter from each FC and the winners of both brackets face off in a blood match!

Also a good idea. *rubs chin* Hrmm.... A Free Company Tournament...

The only issue that I see is that the Grindstone is predominantly a Linkshell. The majority of our people (70 ish) are in other FCs or are not in the GS FC. So they're already kind of repping their FC as it is except they don't need their leader's express permission to do so.

-Are- there enough other combat-oriented companies to do this or should we just make partner tourneys? Two fighters versus two fighters?

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - Fystrael Abylstyrwyn - 10-10-2013

(10-10-2013, 03:33 PM)Lost River Wrote: Competition Between FC's/LS.

This.  I like this.

Or three on three RP battle teams \O/

Sorry, I'm easily excitable on days that work is terrible.  Carry on.

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - Aleister - 10-10-2013

Sad I wished we had PvP available for us so that the fighters could PvP it out or something with rules like the fighters have to wear the same item level gear and weapon or something.. But that itself has disadvantages heh. >_<

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - Fen - 10-10-2013

I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon and go along with the FC Tourney idea. If a way could be worked out to keep chat manageable, that is.

2 vs. 2 also sounds pretty amazing, but once again, chat could be an issue to work out, considering there are two extra combat posts for each combatant to pay attention to.

And I think the unarmed-only combat sounds fun. *is biased* Big Grin

As far as new ideas... hm... How about mud wrestling in only skivvies? I've got nothing, sorry...

Chat flood'll be a problem regardless, sadly. So long as there are people to spectate, we can't expect them to sit silently there for however long it takes for the fighters to finish. 2 v 2 matches would be simple enough and we can incorporate the FC idea into it if needbe. In fact, we'd probably only have one fight at a time (four people posting) and then another (four more). That'd be it. This would likely be a biweekly (every two weeks) situation rather than twice a week and would take the place of a Wednesday or Saturday tournament. If we take four FC entries or four pairs at a time for the month then  we'd have our winners by the end of that month.

On another note if we can have a steady group of healers that are -legitimately- affiliated with if not in the Grindstone FC (unlike some of ours that just show up willy nilly but are appreciated) Blood Matches can take the place of our regular tournaments. Nevertheless, there will only be one champion each time and that champion will have their fee afforded for the next but they'll have to start out like everyone else. Three wins will still earn them the 'Master' title, which Fystrael has currently. Likewise, everyone is going to be tired as time goes on, even with the healing, so that has to be kept in mind.

RE: Grindstone New Ideas - LandStander - 10-10-2013

I also think it would be kind of interesting for a Battle Royale type of thing..or at least I think that is what it is called. Four people step in the ring, one steps out! I am not sure how viable this would be though due to chat log issues. It might be a little difficult keeping up with three people who may or may not all be attacking you at once. 

Maybe it could work out as things are typed in say, that the group is also in a party chat and they either repost it in there to minimize the chances of it being missed or just type a very summed up version of what happened.
[Ex: /s Romy spins his body in a clockwise motion, dodging the blow, and using his new found momentum to try to deliver a backhanded blow to Lydia's right temple. /p Romy is trying to back hand Lydia's face!] Or something like that. 
Also rolling for initiative at the beginning would help so that no one is posting over each other.

A Battle Royale might not be viable. Some people might feel singled out, which is kind of the purpose, but in an effort to prevent as much ooc conflict as possible, I think that's one of those things we should wait on if we do it.

Blood Matches + 2v2 or FC battles will do. We can't have a thousand different things mostly because I just don't have the energy to run all of them. I'm hoping to depend more on my Overseers to this end, but nevertheless, too much stuff and people'll get tired real fast.

The /party + /say is a good idea though. I'm going to have to be stricter about enforcing the two paragraph maximum because when you try to post five paragraphs in the midst of twenty people it's going to get hard for your opponent to keep up. Extraneous detail is nice and all but not altogether necessary.

I am up for mud wrestling event. It'll draw in the obvious crowd, but it'd give healers to get in the festivities aside from just heal here, heal there.

Lost River would crash one event and challenge Sio to it! "Muahahaha. You shall feel the power of the River!"