Hydaelyn Role-Players
Server Transfer? Yes Please! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Server Transfer? Yes Please! (/showthread.php?tid=5014)

Server Transfer? Yes Please! - Lupo - 10-11-2013

If you've been keeping up with the news, you may have noticed that on October 15th, 2013 Free Server Transfer is finally going live! And its free!

That being the case, since I was unable to make my new 2.0 character on Balmung, here comes a transfer and I'm gunning to join the RP Community.

*queue FF Victory Music*

Anyway, there is probably no better way to get started than the template so here goes.

And there is no better way to start with a good old fashioned template.

What shall we call you?
This is something I think we should add to the template, but I think we should have a section where you tell people what to call you! Even if its obvious to use the Username, sometimes we can list appropriate variations of the name or a different name or a nickname. Anyway there is no other way to describe it, but I am Balthazar Lupo, or for the purposes of OCC, you can use Lin or you can use my character name, or Bal. Balth has shown up in my LS in my current server Siren.

MMORPG Background

I've played LOTS of MMORPGs, but I've never been much of a hardcore community. Usually I play a game, level to max, then once I've gotten to the endgame I get a bit bored. Loot treadmills started to bore me, and usually I cancel my subscription or whatever and leave! That is until I found RP...more on that later. Games I have played include Dragon's Nest, Perfect World, Forgotten Realms, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Aion, Lineage II, RF Online and, of course, 1.0! You get 10 points if you know all of those!

As far as playerskill however, FFXIV 2.0 is the first game where I primarily play as a DD, so that is something to factor in when partying up with me. Some guys online have been playing tank for 10 years! XD

RP Experience

As I mentioned above, I found RP-ing when I got off the Endgame treadmill of most MMORPGs, namely Lineage II about 9 years ago. Anyway, my style ranged from light RP to heavy RP, which changed from game to game, but I had a period where I stopped playing MMOs and focused on school and computer hardware. The past few years I RP'ed on my own time (in Skyrim!) by writing short blurbs of what happened to my character and some justification behind it in a personal google doc but thats about it. My favorite thing about RP is being create a story for yourself and the ability to make it your own!

Character Ideas/Info

To start with, I'll be attempting to play the Sun Seeker Balthazar Lupo. I have this HUGE backstory I am crafting for him that explains his name not being traditional Miquote style, his skills and some faults I am going to roleplay. I believe its important to establish this somewhere since when you meet someone in real life they MUST have a past, known or unknown! A few goals with this character is to generate a story worth recording. I am hoping to write (paragraph by paragraph) things that happen in game with other RPers into a sort of book that I can go back and read from start to finish with some sense of storyline. He will, of course, have some issues namely he's poor (true in game too) but skilled (in 2-3 classes, true in game too). He may be slightly morally dubious but overall good intentioned. What good is an adventurer who doesn't sometimes run into gil problems? I am going to try to create someone interesting who had a fairly typical (in the scope of FFXIV lore...i.e. lots of refugees, Garlean takeover of Ala Mhigo, Ishgardian Isolationism etc etc) upbringing, but to be basically me, transplanted to the world of FFXIV. I'll be referencing as much official SE lore as I can from the SE forums and verified lore via interviews and such. He'll be late 20's early 30's since I want him to experience certain events at cognitive age, such as the fall of Ala Mhigo, and he'll be well traveled (as an adventurer should). Anyway, you can find a thread I started about his backstory here one day. I'll edit this post and link it when I get around to writing a backstory I am satisfied with and feel free to provide constructive criticism! I know my creative writing needs work and some things may need to be fact checked! Avoid the Mary Sue!

Current Mary Sue-Test Score: 25

How did you learn about the Coalition?

Good old fashioned google. Oh and someone on Reddit told me Balmung was the unofficial RP Server?

What kind of Role-player are you aiming to be?

I'm trying to do medium RPing. As is with most MMORPGs, you gotta go OCC to really level, and sometimes I will login without RPing at all just to level. Other times I will be logging in to really RP and will RP for most of the session. Either way I intend on leveling with my RP, i.e. I won't call my RP self a master carpenter unless I have Carpenter lvl 50. Who knows how that will work out, but it helps me stay in the mindset.

Real Life
I am a 24 y.o. part-time college student who also works full time! As such, I may not be online as much as I'd like but I'll do my best, so take that into consideration with any RP opportunities and story lines. I do statistics and math in college and at work. I also love computer hardware and gaming in general, and split my time between this game, learning to use Unity3D, and playing other games (right now ME3). I listen to Aetheryte Radio, PC Perspective Podcast and Crate and Crowbar at work, and my musical taste vary depending on season. I also have lofty goals of being a fairly decent writer (enough to freelance for media at least) and to have my own podcast. #WishfulThinking.

Anyway, with 4 days to go before I can transfer servers, I'll continue leveling on my own on my current server. In the mean time, I intend on participating here (about once a day in brief spurts) so I can integrate myself smoothly with the community! I am perfectly open to LS and FC invites!

I do also intend on making a personal RP linkshell for a story I kinda want to start if anyone is interested, but that is a work in progress until I can flesh out details.

RE: Server Transfer? Yes Please! - Maqali Qulaan - 10-11-2013

Hope to see you on Balmung soon! Feel free to say hi once you get here! I'll bake you a cake (or at least, a really nice fish or something Tongue)

RE: Server Transfer? Yes Please! - Lupo - 10-14-2013

Thanks much! I could use a cake, especially waiting this long to join the community. XD

I'll definitely pop in and say hi!