Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) (/showthread.php?tid=513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Blade - 09-02-2010

I dunno, I hope we don't throw this vote out as mentioned, or leave it all in the hands of one person to decide. This is arguably the thing that many people have joined the forums to participate in. If we make a bad choice of selecting Lindblum then we make a bad choice, but it's still the community deciding that as a whole, and tossing that out... I dunno, would be very off-putting. I ultimately don't think that the servers are going to be as overloaded as people are thinking anyways.

I know no one has seriously talked about doing that but it has been mentioned, just voicing my concern.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Kylin - 09-02-2010

The vote will not be thrown out in any way, shape, or form. No need for worries or debate on that issue.

The allowance of changing one's vote is meant to be the middle ground that everyone should be content with. If Lindblum still wins, it wins fair and square. We'll just have to deal with the overpopulation problem as it comes and strive to keep the RP community united despite it.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Soren Miren - 09-02-2010

Now that votes can be re-cast, I don't think we have any cause to change our minds once we have our results, but thats just me.

I'd also like to reaffirm that Cornelia, Lindblum, Mysidia, and Figaro are aiming to be the most populous / host to various subgroups or significant gaming communities. If you do intend to vote elsewhere than your original choice, keep this in mind.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Satisiun - 09-02-2010

Cid_Mercer Wrote:Eh, I'm leaving my vote as originally cast. I have no beef with the people purported to be utilizing Lindblum, it's where my friends are going, and... well... I already voted for it. I voted for it because it was my first choice. That honestly has not changed.

Same here. People I know are going there. On top of that, I voted for Lindblum before the results were unmasked and made viewable to the public here. My vote didn't change and wouldn't have changed if I'd known who voted for what either way.

So much of this just seems to be fearmongering going on. I'm very sorry if I cause offense to anyone, but like I said some pages back, this all seemed to start on account of Lindblum, Figaro, and one other server suddenly going down. People were running around, coming to conclusions, saying it had to be because it was popular. It had to be because the servers got filled too much, or too fast.

And then within 45 minutes ... oh, there is the server! And what's more, from all the accounts I've seen in this thread, and other threads, it's not even the most populace one. 2 chocobos compared to others with 3.

I sort of feel like this whole thing has taken a life of its own. The only thing I would've done differently was continue to keep votes hidden until the very end. But hindsight is 20/20. I can only presume Cas was trying to be the benevolent and friendly ruler by unmasking the results so early on, with people clamoring for it.

That and, hell, he as well as many others thought the voter turnout was huge by halfway down the first page of posts! Back when we had ... what? 60? 70 votes in all? No one could have envisioned over 40% of the site to vote. It's great and all, but again, very unexpected.

Anyway, rant over.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Asyria - 09-02-2010

@ Verence

Pretty interesting views in there.
I will say two things.
While it may sound like "it's not me, it's him!" argument, I must say that I only started having this us vs them view when I started experiencing major griefing as a RPer. Before that, I was just a normal person who enjoyed spicing up my gaming with some RP.
Likewise, I support this whole "RP pride" thing (don't like the name either) only in the sense that people here seem worried about griefers and jerks and that when confronted by those people, we should stand tall and strong. I do NOT advise or support this attitude in general.
I simply find it a more efficient defensive mechanism than to hide in a corner rant about them.

The other thing I'd like to say is that you seem to make plenty of generalizations, saying that the kind of people who go there and like this and like that, but at the same time you refuse to define yourself by what you do. Why then, define others by what they do? Kind of a contradiction there that makes me hesitant to agree with your otherwise valid points.

@ Soren Miren
Funny how those are the cities from some of the most popular games. I wouldn't expect anyone to pick the cities of FF II, III, or V as they weren't originally released outside of Japan (or at least not in the US).

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Soren Miren - 09-02-2010

Asyria Wrote:@ Soren Miren
Funny how those are the cities from some of the most popular games. I wouldn't expect anyone to pick the cities of FF II, III, or V as they weren't originally released outside of Japan (or at least not in the US).

I was actually just talking about this with some people. I'll admit that I personally still lean towards Besaid, as by the same logic its relatively 'unclaimed' and still a 1 chocobo server like the FF 2/3/5 cities, but still benefits from its modernity and recognition in the FF fanbase. Obviously there's still no way to determine these things, and in all likelihood all the servers in the initial 10 will have a fairly healthy population in the end, but I like to imagine that by virtue of its origins, Besaid may attract more players in the long-term, allowing for a healthier, above-medium population.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - falcolas - 09-02-2010

I switched to Besaid myself. Lower population, which would help RP flourish, and there's a backing there already. Good enough reasons for me.

In my experience, low pop servers tend to have the best atmosphere for roleplayers. Fewer griefers, and the player density makes immersion in the world a bit easier.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Smiling River - 09-02-2010

Besaid FTW!

Linblum is obviously a bad choice because that server WILL hit it's cap, AND there are a bunch of communities that are going there PLUS everyone and their mother so...

Besaid is fine for now, and it has a chance to win, so please change your votes to Besaid Wink

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Trizzip - 09-02-2010

Kashuan ftw!!

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - berdyne - 09-02-2010

Cass you might want to kill the vote change its not changing my vote its just adding another vote for that server, its not turning off after you redo the vote.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Dranmarth - 09-02-2010

I've switched from Figaro to Besaid after seeing some of the communities that would be on these servers, and I agree, Besaid seems like a safe choice for now. None of the groups are really throwing their hats onto that server, and as someone mentioned it's still a fairly small server, which we would easily bump up to a medium server.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Selyne - 09-02-2010

Dranmarth Wrote:I've switched from Figaro to Besaid after seeing some of the communities that would be on these servers, and I agree, Besaid seems like a safe choice for now. None of the groups are really throwing their hats onto that server, and as someone mentioned it's still a fairly small server, which we would easily bump up to a medium server.

I thought FFXIV Core was going to Besaid?

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Kylin - 09-02-2010

I personally don't care one way or the other whether we end up on Lindblum or Besaid. And regardless of where this poll stands in less than 5 hours, I hope everyone will be 100% supportive of the decision. The entire purpose of the RPC is to unite the RP community. So please keep that in mind tonight.

If Besaid happens to win and you're on Lindblum already, you can hold off rerolling until release and just create an alt on the server to hold your name or something. That way, it's not overly inconvenient to anyone to stop what they're doing and go through the character creation process yet again. Bear in mind though that all character data will be deleted at the end of beta (save names).

berdyne Wrote:Cass you might want to kill the vote change its not changing my vote its just adding another vote for that server, its not turning off after you redo the vote.

I just tested it and it works fine. After selecting it, click submit. A vote will go away from what it was and go to where you just changed it.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Ozak Kuzak - 09-02-2010

berdyne Wrote:Cass you might want to kill the vote change its not changing my vote its just adding another vote for that server, its not turning off after you redo the vote.

Didnt do that for me it took my vote off cornelia and changed it to Besaid

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote) - Satisiun - 09-02-2010

Might be something on your end. I'm no expert or tech. dude or admin, but I just tried switching my vote to Gyasahl, then back to Lindblum, and it worked fine both times, removing a vote from one and adding to the other.