Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) (/showthread.php?tid=513)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Eva - 09-03-2010

Yay!! Strong voter turnout too!! That's awesome stuff! :cheer:

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Zyanya - 09-03-2010

Pretty close call!

Excellent. Smile See you all there! Smile

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Satisiun - 09-03-2010

Ehn.

I won't butter up my opinion and say "good game" when I don't mean it, because there's something just off about what happened with this vote, to me. Yes, some will say that conflict and a combative mood is to be expected in situations like this, but I ultimately believe that in the end, a whole lot of fear-mongering in some cases (Oh god, /v/! Oh god, Blue Gartr! Oh god, [insert group here]! We're doomed to mockery and not enough privacy for our exclusive RP activities!), and assumptions in other cases (Lindblum is crashing because it obviously is overfilled. What? Proof? Pfft. Who needs proof? You can just tell! No, I don't care it's only been a day, or other servers also are!), brought about what was ultimately a real about-face in the results, when it probably shouldn't have.

Yeah, all of you are right that in the end, a server is a server. And yes, being together as a group is the most important thing to consider over who likes what server name the most. But that doesn't change that this whole situation just feels off, between allowing vote changes to what seemed like a bully browbeating from some people who were just that insistent on Besaid for whatever reason (some person going as far as to guffaw at people who didn't change their vote if it wasn't for either Lindblum or Besaid).

Anyway. That's the last I'll say on this whole situation. Forgive me if I've offended anyone. Just wanted to express a perspective that wasn't just a "fall in line" one for honesty's sake, is all. If this is too inflammatory, I'm cool with a nuke. Just don't expect a response for some hours since I'm going to bed now. Tongue

See y'all on Besaid. Smile

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Kashemia - 09-03-2010

Haha, since I logged off last night, this thread EXPLODED with like 15 new pages :O

But yay for our new home! I'm sure we'll be very happy there Smile
And I'm totally gonna fall in line! I don't really care what server we end up on anyway, I'm in a splendid mood, so this time, I'm not gonna let any forum quarrels drag that down!
I won't be playing in beta, but I'll see you all on Beslaid at launch!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: Moogle Moogle Moogle

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Renaise - 09-03-2010

Satisiun Wrote:Ehn.

I won't butter up my opinion and say "good game" when I don't mean it, because there's something just off about what happened with this vote, to me. Yes, some will say that conflict and a combative mood is to be expected in situations like this, but I ultimately believe that in the end, a whole lot of fear-mongering in some cases (Oh god, /v/! Oh god, Blue Gartr! Oh god, [insert group here]! We're doomed to mockery and not enough privacy for our exclusive RP activities!), and assumptions in other cases (Lindblum is crashing because it obviously is overfilled. What? Proof? Pfft. Who needs proof? You can just tell! No, I don't care it's only been a day, or other servers also are!), brought about what was ultimately a real about-face in the results, when it probably shouldn't have.

Yeah, all of you are right that in the end, a server is a server. And yes, being together as a group is the most important thing to consider over who likes what server name the most. But that doesn't change that this whole situation just feels off, between allowing vote changes to what seemed like a bully browbeating from some people who were just that insistent on Besaid for whatever reason (some person going as far as to guffaw at people who didn't change their vote if it wasn't for either Lindblum or Besaid).

Anyway. That's the last I'll say on this whole situation. Forgive me if I've offended anyone. Just wanted to express a perspective that wasn't just a "fall in line" one for honesty's sake, is all. If this is too inflammatory, I'm cool with a nuke. Just don't expect a response for some hours since I'm going to bed now. Tongue

See y'all on Besaid. Smile

Not offended, I have to say, I wasn't expecting the fact that you could change your vote, and of course with a public vote such as this there will be some eyebrow raising activities, but for better or worse we are now Besaidians (?) so I say grab a boogie board and lets all hang ten dood [Image: prinny.gif]

The only thing I would be annoyed about is if anyone nuked this post, because it seems like a reasonable show of opinion.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Kashemia - 09-03-2010

:O Awesome dancing penguin!

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Mycroft - 09-03-2010

It's a prinny.. And if you wanna be a winny, don't be a prinny.. Dood.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Siben - 09-03-2010

is the entire game down for the count at the moment?

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Faust - 09-03-2010

Being able to change votes only makes sense. A good election narrows down the options to the two "best" options and allows everyone to choose from those.

Imagine that you're a democrat, and there are 2 Democratic nominees and 1 Republican nominee for president. You like Democrat B along with 20% of democrats, but Democrat B has NO chance of winning the election. You would still rather Democrat A win than the republican, but you've already cast your vote for Democrat B! If only you had known! If only that 20% of democrats who voted for Democrat B had known, because that 20% of people could make the difference between a republican and a democratic president.

That's why we have primaries in the US-- to reduce the number of "similar" options in the polls as much as possible. And since all of our options are pretty similar, narrowing it down to the two with the best winning odds is the only fair way to do it. Unfortunately we just didn't have time for a primary process, really.

This has actually happened in the past, by the way. Votes have been split between 2 candidates in the same party, causing the least popular candidate to win.

I was pulling for Lindblum, btw, even though I was one of those who pointed out the risks of rolling on the /v/ server. It will probably end up as good a server as any, but on the other hand, /v/ is just a click away to /b/tards, many of whom consider trollin' a sport. I really wouldn't have expected that to sway the vote though.

Sorry if I reiterated anything, but no way was a sifting through all those pages.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Trine - 09-03-2010

Siben Wrote:is the entire game down for the count at the moment?

Yes Siben... until 3:00AM (PDT)

Correction, they are back up now.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Jakky - 09-03-2010

There appears to be new additional servers:

Rabanastre
Bodhum
Melmond
Palamecia
Selbina

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Trine - 09-03-2010

Jakky Wrote:There appears to be new additional servers:

Rabanastre
Bodhum
Melmond
Palamecia
Selbina

Yeah I already posted about that... hehe Btw, is it just me or is the game suddenly like... unbearably laggy?

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - SamusKnight2K - 09-03-2010

I wish they had those newer servers up prior, I so would have rooted for Selbina. But since they didn't I went with Figaro.

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Aveline - 09-03-2010

Aw Rabanastre!

Re: The Quest for a Home (Server Vote--concluded) - Dranmarth - 09-03-2010

Jakky Wrote:There appears to be new additional servers:

Rabanastre
Bodhum
Melmond
Palamecia
Selbina

I guess this means that rumor we heard of 20 servers at launch may be true, so I'd maybe expect another 5 servers announced either before or at launch.