Hydaelyn Role-Players
What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? (/showthread.php?tid=5339)

What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Tiergan - 11-03-2013

One of my characters, Lurial, is an information broker.  However, as opposed to using Lurial's occupation as an excuse to miraculously know everyone's deepest darkest secrets (which would essentially be metagaming anyhow) - I would like to use it more as a tool to help facilitate RP between different characters. 

If you're interested in sharing, feel free to hit me up with a PM on:
  1. What you would like Lurial would know about your character.

2. Most importantly, how you would like me to use or present that information IC.
Should she share it only with a particular group of people?  Can the knowledge only be traded/bartered after certain conditions are met first?  Can she give it away freely to anyone with the coin to buy it?  Do you want her around at a specific event to mysteriously drop hints and then speak no more with a smile on her face? 

How she gets the information and how she uses it is all dictated by you.  This way, the information is used in a way you feel would provide the maximum benefit your RP. :)

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - WT_Neptune - 11-03-2013

I can't really say what would be notable about me yet. But I'd like to say I like the idea. My character's favorite thing to do when not researching is eavesdrop on people. So I like seeing another character whose interest and occupation lies in other people.

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Tiergan - 11-03-2013

Thanks!  It's pretty fun collecting information and then using it at the right time IC to build tension in a story.  (Though everyone's character's are understandably nervous about saying anything too important around her. ;) )

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Olofantur - 11-03-2013

Hello Tiergan,

Just in case you are unfamiliar, the Player Character pages in the RPC Wiki will occasionally have a "Rumor" section, usually close to the bottom, with various teirs of difficulty in hearing the rumor. Since these are already assigned by the given Roleplayer perhaps you could use them to fluff out your database of knowledge on a given character. (Of course they stand to be in the more common way than information a professional broker might have, but I thought it a possible start.)

Cheers!

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Tiergan - 11-03-2013

Thanks for the heads up! That is definitely something useful to know.  The Wiki and I are going to become even better friends then I anticipated. :)

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Freemoon - 11-03-2013

You'll probably get an answer from me eventually, but only after I've had a chance to give it some serious thought.  

And by serious thought, I mean that both as deciding what would be interesting to be known, and also to not answer the second question by saying most people should be told "I think she was dropped on her head as a child" or something.

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - LandStander - 11-03-2013

1. Has a fear of drowning and getting water on her face.
2. Can be used to pull the emergency brake lever on the semi-truck when she comes barreling down on someone. 

1. Always drinks heavily before a fight.
2. Drink spiking would be really easy as she tends to gulp these things down. 

Can't think of anything else that might leak out about her as she doesnt talk much about her past. If I do I'll update this ^^.

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Rosekitten - 11-03-2013

Personally this is a neat idea I think ^^ though as mentioned there are a few wiki pages I remember seeing with rumors on them.. (personally I'm still a lazy persona and have yet to finish my wiki page... I swear I will in the near future >_>; )

sadly I can't say much about my character. Anything that could be a rumor would be something he doesn't really open his own mouth about so odds of someone else knowing is rather slim ^^; 

I've been told by a certain lalafell I met that Sal is boring actually.. though that was a ruse to get her to stop pestering him with questions and accusing him of stealing armor that he hand crafted >w< 

Well there is also the phobia of water he has.. that's a pretty well known fact to most that get to know him because it leads to asking how he ended up living in Limsa if he hates water >_>;

I tend to call him a bit of a workaholic and frequent visitor to certain taverns... not sure what else to tell you but when I get around (soonish) to finishing that wiki page I'll be sure to include rumors for you there Tongue

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Erik Mynhier - 11-05-2013

Everything written in my wiki would be considered "public record" in world. Military service, how he came to Ul'dah, his family's death, everything is in there. Feel free to use it.

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - C'kayah Polaali - 11-05-2013

Ditto for me. C'kayah is a rogue in the original sense of the word, though he is a humane rogue - not evil, but certainly not good. While he lately is mainly a smuggler, he's worked at various professions ranging from thief (unproven!) to teacher.

I want to mention that the character is still pretty loosely fleshed out, and I'm very willing to flesh him out in ways that suit other people's RP. In other words, if you need to know something about someone who does X, I'm willing to consider changing C'kayah to do X to suit.

RE: What Would An Information Broker Know About You? - Zope - 11-06-2013

-A decent information broker would know that Ava was recently (within the last year) removed/disowned from her family and/or split from them willingly (The latter being the more commonly believed rumor). Her family being a mix of wealthy, corrupted, Ul'dah members and Limsa bred smugglers/swindlers. 

- A good information broker would know that while she isn't upset about the event, she had nothing to do with it and there was possibly an attempt to off her that failed, leading to plan B, 'kick her out'.

-She doesn't handle alcohol well.

-She loves her chocobo, Bron, more than 90% of the rest of everything ever.

-She's allergic to dodo meat. 

2. Most of these are all fairly common rumors or things garnered easily from watching her/interacting with her. Hearing her decline dodo meat or alcohol, seeing her coo at Bron and pamper the bird...things like that. 

I threw in the decent/good broker part in on the first two because depending on your level of skill as an info broker IC/the interest they have in that part of Ava's past will lead to those two different conclusions. 90% of people who know about her exodus from her family know the first part- it was mutual. Only a few know that it actually wasn't.

Any and all of this can be used however you see fit. I only ask that if there is an intent to hunt/harm/fight/ect in the person you're sharing the info with, tell me OOC so I have a heads up not to ignore someone who may start an RP like that, haha.