Hydaelyn Role-Players
Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? (/showthread.php?tid=5388)

Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Freemoon - 11-07-2013

As someone with less than perfect health, I find that every so often (not common, but it happens a couple times a year at least) I have to leave behind a game for anywhere from a day to a couple of weeks, usually without being able to give any advance warning.  As such, I've often found myself making plans to explain my absence IC if I've become part of a regular RP group.

In the past, such explanations have varied from "She's recovering from illness/injury" to "She's gathering healing herbs in a remote location" and even the amusing "She's either recovering from a hangover or ate too much candy".

I'm curious if anyone else has similar plans in place.  You don't have to give away details if you don't want, but I'd like to know I'm not exactly alone in making plans just in case.

RE: Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Rosekitten - 11-07-2013

I have a plan or two with my character as in eight or so months I will have to be on leave for a short while ^^; 

Though my plan mainly is my character going off and dealing with a personal issue and not wanting to drag anyone else into it. It's a family matter anyway so I figured it was fair enough for him to deal with it alone...

There is always the recovery process and such route or illness maybe a battle wound depending on what rp's you do. 

Though i do like your hangover and too much candy one Tongue I know of a few character that the hangover would fit and switch candy to just eating too much. 

Could even make a excuse of visiting family and turned the linkshells off (if your character has one ic'ly). Or some characters just really need some alone time *nods*

RE: Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Tobias Nightbringer - 11-07-2013

• Spiritual cleansing/meditation

• Entering your spirit state to communicate with your past Avatar liv--wait scratch that one.

• Wanderlust

• Hook that leads in/out of a storyline (investigation, searches, personal blah blah etc.)

• Supposed 'calling' by the pantheons (for the more...oddball characters that believe they are chosen by the Twelve and are summoned by them to...somewhere)

• Spelunking

• Sabotage/espionage behind enemy lines

• Chasing a hot piece of NPC tail

• Hearing of a tournament in the far lands

• Rolling with a traveling band of (insert whatever)

• Private contracts

• Going on a 'Hunt' with Miqo'te/like-minded that will have no contact with 'civilization' during the trek

• Turning into a hermit because screw EVERYONE

• Fits of temporary insanity which cause you to go streaking down the streets of Ul'dah/Limsa/Gridania/Mor Dhona/hot springs in your birthday suit because...reasons.

RE: Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Freemoon - 11-07-2013

(11-07-2013, 08:18 PM)Rosekitten Wrote: Could even make a excuse of visiting family and turned the linkshells off (if your character has one ic'ly). Or some characters just really need some alone time *nods*

Back in Star Wars Galaxies, a similar explanation was used with my character having gone off to visit her cousins, although only a small number of people were ever specifically told that it was on Dathomir.  We built up an explanation that the clan's land was too close to certain mineral deposits that interrupted the com signals.

I wonder if there would be something similar that could disrupt linkshell communication (I haven't researched it that much yet).   But if not, I could certainly see my character switching them off if she were too upset or just too emotional to deal with anyone or otherwise felt she needed to deal with something alone.

(11-07-2013, 08:26 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote:

• Fits of temporary insanity which cause you to go streaking down the streets of Ul'dah/Limsa/Gridania/Mor Dhona/hot springs in your birthday suit because...reasons.

Those two have to be my favorite, and I could easily see the first leading directly to the second.
Big Grin

RE: Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Rosekitten - 11-07-2013

as far as disruption of signals..i swear somewhere in the story quests something was mentioned...

though i figured they were advanced enough to be turned off >w<

RE: Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Tobias Nightbringer - 11-07-2013

(11-07-2013, 08:39 PM)Freemoon Wrote:
(11-07-2013, 08:26 PM)Tobias Nightbringer Wrote:

Those two have to be my favorite, and I could easily see the first leading directly to the second.
Big Grin

I like the way you think! Big Grin

RE: Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Jana - 11-07-2013

When I played a scientist-type in Tera Online, I explained long absences IC by saying that my character had been locked away in her lab for a long time. I haven't really decided how to play my character in ARR, but it'll probably be something similar to that.

RE: Plans for Unexpected Absence from RP? - Freemoon - 11-07-2013

(11-07-2013, 10:34 PM)Jana Wrote: When I played a scientist-type in Tera Online, I explained long absences IC by saying that my character had been locked away in her lab for a long time. I haven't really decided how to play my character in ARR, but it'll probably be something similar to that.

That has been practically the go-to response for a friend of mine, altered slightly for whatever the setting allows.  

In games with a sci-fi style, the scientific route was the usual explanation, ranging from experimenting with or practicing new medical procedures or being locked inside a controlled environment experimenting with volatile chemicals, pathogens or sensitive materials.

In fantasy style settings, it could be anything from researching new spells, practicing alchemy or experimenting with a combination of natural remedies and potions.  

This also allowed for a smooth transition if the real life situation became more complicated, since more than once she contacted us to say she wouldn't be back for a couple of weeks.  In those cases, we said the experimentation went wrong and she had to go through decontamination or being tended to by someone who could fix mystical injuries and the like.