Hydaelyn Role-Players
My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV (/showthread.php?tid=543)

My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Lunaticked - 09-03-2010

Well, I've done a bit of testing using my XBOX 360 wireless controller.

For moving around the world map, it can't be beat. You can keep on moving around while going through the menus and enjoying the scenery, it works out nice. No mouse lag to deal with either.

The problem though, is that once you enter combat things get a bit different.

Choosing attacks isn't as simple as pushing a button ala 12345, etc. You basically interact with your action bar as a menu, using the D pad (if this is what you assigned) to move from 1, 2, 3, 4 and so on manually. Left and right. Then hit confirm when you want to use the attack. It's..tolerable when you have 4 moves, but when you start getting into five or six, it gets annoying to deal with, especially if there's any UI lag.

Another big issue is changing targets. The D-pad target selection is a bit fussy and sometimes you won't fully exit your action menu and be able to use your D-pad to select targets, leading you to accidentally use your battle...thing. Whatever G does on the keyboard, I forget the name. This can cost you a fight that came down to the last round.

Overall, I'm going to keep using it and adjust until I can't handle it anymore. I'm sure once I get the hang of macros (I have left and right triggers assigned to ctrl and alt macro menus) I'll find it a bit easier to deal with combat.

Your thoughts? Recommendations on how to alter the controls?

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Asyria - 09-03-2010

Personally, I'm sticking to keyboard alone, it works like a charm. the only trick is to get to used to how the Tab cycle targetting works. If you want to move while navigating menu, just autorun (that's R once you started moving).

I used a xbox controller in CO because you can't beat two joysticks for air maneuverability and the action style of the game just lend itself very well to controller use in combat. It doesn't seem to be the case for FF XIv from what you said (I haven't tried, myself) and we don't seem to be able to fly, either.

If you really want to use the controller for FF XIV, I'd say check if you can set up your buttons like they were set up in CO so that you can indeed just push one (or hold one and push another) to activate abilities on your action bar. If you can't do that, I'd say get used to the keyboard. ^^

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Trizzip - 09-03-2010

Asyria Wrote:and we don't seem to be able to fly, either.

But......if we could.....I would explode with joy :bounce:

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Asyria - 09-03-2010

I know right?

"Oh noes, cliffs"
*goes flying*
"HA!"

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Renaise - 09-03-2010

The whole game seems perfectly made for the PS3 with that keypad addon they brought out... ill have to pick one up

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Trizzip - 09-03-2010

Renaise Wrote:The whole game seems perfectly made for the PS3 with that keypad addon they brought out... ill have to pick one up

And I'm sure before the PS3 version gets released, the gamepad controls will go through some changes, getting refined based off of PS3 beta testers. At least...I'm assuming.

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Vareal - 09-04-2010

Asyria Wrote:I know right?

"Oh noes, cliffs"
*goes flying*
"HA!"

That's why they invented Aion, lol. I tried using a 360 controller yesterday, and I'm going to keep trying it a few more times, I just have to get the button config the way I like it. I'm also a stickler for having every-single-button on the controller be assigned for something and that quickly gets confusing. Also, what calibration setting have you guys, that use the controller, been using?

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - TeeBeeDee - 09-10-2010

Is there a location that one could see the button layouts for gamepads?

I'm currently using a Xbox 360, its a bit old and I think I might replace it, should I get one of the same or would anyone suggest a different one?

Thank ya kindly.

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Freyar - 09-10-2010

TeeBeeDee Wrote:Is there a location that one could see the button layouts for gamepads?

I'm currently using a Xbox 360, its a bit old and I think I might replace it, should I get one of the same or would anyone suggest a different one?

Thank ya kindly.

You have to manually apply the keybindings. I don't think there's a default setup yet.

I like the vibration feedback on my wired 360 controller, and I may just have to switch between combat and out of combat between my keyboard and controller.

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Rikitiki - 09-10-2010

TeeBeeDee Wrote:Is there a location that one could see the button layouts for gamepads?

Thank ya kindly.

Look in your Config (the out-of-game Config, not the in-game menu). There's a whole Gamepad section where you can assign functions to the individual buttons. Big Grin

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - TeeBeeDee - 09-11-2010

Rikitiki Wrote:

Thank ya kindly.

Look in your Config (the out-of-game Config, not the in-game menu). There's a whole Gamepad section where you can assign functions to the individual buttons. Big Grin

ok, thanks, I'm not going to get to log in until (hopefully) the 22nd

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Dizqard - 09-11-2010

Haven't gotten to try using a controller on a character with more than, like, three attacks, but hopefully it'll work well for me. If the D-Pad targetting is similar to how it was in FFXI, it'll at least be okay for healers.

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - Asytra - 09-14-2010

I use my 360 Controller almost exclusively.

I use FFXIV's mapping program to map the bare minimums, i.e. movement, camera, and menu navigation and afterwards I have about 7 buttons left over that I can use xpadder to map to keys 1-6 as well as Tab for better targeting.

It's unfortunate that Microsoft or the community hasn't made any drivers to make the Chatpad for the controller work on PCs, as it would open up a lot more options for functionality.

Having six attacks is plenty, for now, though. In fact I can't equip any more abilities because of action points anyways. This is also meant for the big six abilities. For other abilities you can just press down on the Dpad then you have another 1-6 that you can use.

I still chat with the keyboard, of course. It's not a big deal to set down the controller to type out something. Another nice plus is that the headset for the controller functions as a complete headset device and you can make it so on whatever VOIP program you use, you hear people through the headset speaker instead of your computer speakers.

I have noticed much less physical strain when playing with the much more ergonomic controller than Mouse/Keyboard. There are no frustrations with mouse lag either, obviously.

I hear the PS3 controller's keyboard addon works with PCs, however the DualShock/Sixaxis/etc setup has never really been that ergonomical, especially if you are using dual-stick which you would with movement and camera in this game. Still its a good option if you have to have a functional keyboard on the controller or already have a PS3.

Re: My thoughts on using a gamepad for XIV - foxfirestorm - 09-14-2010

I am also using the Keyboard so I can't say to much and the only game I ever used a controller on was CO (back in the day when there was RP there).
And the fastest way to target I believe is either f11 or f12.. But I am pretty sure it is F11.

But after reading what you said up top, I am once again convinced that nothing will ever beat a Keyboard when it comes down to the nit and grit of it. Wink

That is my two cents, and sorry if it is seen as interruption.