Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to the Game! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: New to the Game! (/showthread.php?tid=5540)

Pages: 1 2

New to the Game! - GeekOtaku - 11-18-2013

Hello everyone,
Name is Geek its also the person I RP in game. Here is a bit about me.

--MMORPG background:
Hmm yes I guess you would say I am an MMO veteran I have played everything from Vanilla WoW and GW1 up to the recent, My first MMO was Star wars Galaxies and have been playing them ever since.

--RP experience
I am new to MMORPs but have RP'd in a table top setting. I have RP'd D&D 3.5, Most White wolf, Exalted and Abyssal, and a few other ones in my local community. I have also done a little bit of txt based RP in some games but am looking to get into hardcore rping in mmos.  
--Character ideas/info
Geek Otaku is a Lalafell from the dune tribe, He was Orphaned at a young age and had to raise himself traveling from town to town. He finally arrived at Limsa Lominsa where his own grand adventure starts. Personality wise he is friendly and playful, but at other times serious as if someone flicked a light switch in his mood. He is curious about the world still and loves to travel to exotic places.

--How did you learn about the coalition?
I was looking on info before I started to play the game, and naturally it seemed like a great RP type game so I googled to see if the game had an RP community and well here I am.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?
I am new to RP on MMO and am trying to learn the Lore for the game, but I am hoping to get into a medium type RP'er.

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)
I am 24 years young and am I US ARMY vet. I love RPing and playing board games. Anything else you wanna know about me let me know and I will gladly let you know.

RE: Ello New guy arrives - GeekOtaku - 11-18-2013

aww no replies Sad

RE: Ello New guy arrives - S'anhu - 11-18-2013

Hello and welcome!

That's quite an interesting name you've chosen there. I won't judge, however. I've seen many fine and fun people to RP with that have had all kinds of names.

I highly recommend looking at the Role-Play Handbook to start. It has so much good information to help you get started.

Free Companies are much like guilds in other games. Linkshells are just chat channels. You can be in only one FC, but up to 8 Linkshells. The Linkshell Hall has a listing of many of the IC/OOC linkshells available, and you can even sort to only see the ones on Balmung. There are a couple of OOC linkshells listed there (such as Intermission and the LFRP ones) that can be a good springboard for finding RP.

It also helps a lot to unlock the airships from the level 15 story quests so you can get around to the other cities, but from the looks of it you're well on your way in that regard.

Once again, welcome to the community!

RE: New to the Game! - GeekOtaku - 11-18-2013

Thanks! and I will defiantly look into the airship thing!

RE: New to the Game! - Ventus Zeruel - 11-18-2013

If you're looking to get into the game and learn about the lore as wel las many other aspects to the world of Eorzea, check out Ul'Dah Garden! We have an ooc linskhell you can join to meet everyone!

Ul'Dah Garden is a Final Fantasyi VIII Themed free company that orients itself around the lore of A Realm Reborn. We're also not the only military/school/oprhan haven academy out there...there are two other branches a well, like Gridania Garden and Limsa Lominsa Garden, which we all helped form together!

Message me in game if you want, or pm me here ^^

RE: New to the Game! - Olofantur - 11-18-2013

Greetings and welcome to the RPC Geek!

You mentioned a love of board games, so I must ask, have you seen PA-TVs' "Shut-up and sit down"? http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/show/shut-up-sit-down An interesting little show that might interest you by introducing some new ones you may not have tried.

S'anhu listed some of the major links around here to help you on your way, since you list your server as Balmung, I also highly recommend taking a look at the "Intermission" OOC linkshell, it serves as a handy hub of coordination and chatter.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=1902
Is their Linkshell hall entry.

If you'd like to know a bit more about the RPC tools and the folks who put it together, you might want to give this link a read:
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/misc.php?page=welcome

Hope that helps set you along your way. Please remember that the RPC was founded by roleplayers, for roleplayers. If you have questions, comments, concerns, or ideas theres likely a thread where you can make your voice heard, or even start your own.

Hope to see you in Eorzea and best of luck on your journey. Chocobo

Thanks Olofantur and Ventus Zeruel I look forward to playing with the both of you one day. Also thank you for the advice I will look into that so far you all have been very helpful. Olofantur I have not played that game at all I will have to look in to it, Right now my biggest board game would have to be the Betrayal at the house on the Haunted Hill. If you havent seen it or played it check it out great RP board game and I have played it a million times and never played a single game the same they set it up to where each game is a different story great game!

All these posts have been very helpful and I thank you all for posting and its a pleasure meeting you all. 

Hmm sounds like an interesting game, i've been spending most of my time in a 3.5 homebrew thats being run with my room mates since our Jade Reagent campaign ended, but i'll have to add it to the list of games we play when we're a person down.

For sure! its a great way to pass the time and it is defiantly worth the money and effort! and Ah 3.5 how i miss thee sadly the main friend in common in our game group left and we now dont game.

RE: New to the Game! - Faye - 11-18-2013

Welcome to FFXIV! It's good to have you here on Balmung! Big Grin

thank you!

RE: New to the Game! - Ventus Zeruel - 11-18-2013

Speaking of games I'm downloading The Last of Us right now...the tears will be shed!!! XD

yea that game is intense, the opening scene is just crazy.

RE: New to the Game! - Aldotsk - 11-18-2013

Hello there, and sorry to hear that no one responded to your thread. However a lot of people are nice enough to get you started if you have any questions Smile regardless, it's good to have a cheerful member around!

(11-18-2013, 05:20 PM)GeekOtaku Wrote: For sure! its a great way to pass the time and it is defiantly worth the money and effort! and Ah 3.5 how i miss thee sadly the main friend in common in our game group left and we now dont game.

Thats a damn shame... While I like pathfinder, 3.5 is my "go to" rule set.

and I agree, "The Last of Us" made me feel like a terrible human being.