Hydaelyn Role-Players
Confusing Calamity - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Confusing Calamity (/showthread.php?tid=5568)

Confusing Calamity - Kheni'to - 11-21-2013

Ok, this is probably a stooopid question, but are we supposed to ICly know what happened during the calamity?

Now that I have talked to several NPCs in the main story, I see that everyone seems to have forgotten the details of the calamity. I am confused because many of the NPCs will mention something that happened then state that they do not remember something else.

What are we supposed to have remembered and what should we have forgotten?

For example, are we ICly allowed to know that Bahamut caused the calamity?

I have my character's back-story set up to where he vividly remembers where he was, what he was doing, and what happened during the calamity. Is this acceptable in reguards to the lore? If not, I have some re-writing to do Angry

RE: Confusing Calamity - J'ruzho - 11-21-2013

From my understanding, everybody is in a bit of a...disagreement on the details. I remember one the town opening npcs saying "there's as many versions as there are people to tell them" or something like that.

So pertaining to your backstory, I think you could ICly remember vividly your version of what happened, but it'll be just that, your version. And it would be different from everyone else's version, Although I'm pretty sure everyone has Bahamut, or at least some great horrible dragon, in their retelling. I'm pretty sure a few npcs have directly referred to it as Bahamut.

Should this be frustrating in character, though? I say hell yes. The npcs seem annoyed as is that nobody can seem to agree on the details. I'd say it'd be even more annoying for someone who's memories are super clear but don't mesh with everyone else's memories.

One thing's for sure, nobody remembers who the warriors of light are exactly, they just know that they were adventurers. Of course that's all from a non-warrior of light perspective (since the warriors of light are the players that played through the calamity) so I wouldn't know if the actual light warriors would retain that they were the heroes, what with time skipping magical huju involved.

RE: Confusing Calamity - Olofantur - 11-21-2013

Hey Kheni'to,

i'll put aside what the majority NPCs' are thinking because J'ruhzo (correctly) mentions that most NPCs are confused and have conflicting opinions. The difference comes when you look at characters holding the Echo.

If we presume for a moment you completed Nael von Darnus, at the opening of 1.0 you would have received the following introduction instead of the one most players get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjbU8u6wCA

Following this introduction you can go about your business as normal how ever the.. SPOILERS!
Show Content
Now I take this as a "those with the Echo have a greater understanding" of what happened (in the case of Minfilla). I'd go so far to say as some may remember everything. I don't, I play it off as foggy, Quarimar remembers the battle as chaos, he remembers the moon breaking and Bahamut doing his thing, but he was surprised to hear about some people supposedly being there. Actually part of my own character arc is digging up information about it/ coming to terms with the people lost there.

But thats just my 2gil.

RE: Confusing Calamity - LiadansWhisper - 11-21-2013

Keep in mind that a lot of people would have just seen fire, shit blowing up, and their houses collapsing on them.

RE: Confusing Calamity - Kheni'to - 11-21-2013

Thanks for clearing that up a bit everyone.

Quote:Posted by LiadansWhisper - Today 12:44 PMKeep in mind that a lot of people would have just seen fire, shit blowing up, and their houses collapsing on them.

Well that's mostly all that my character saw. He was too young to be in the battle. For now, I am RPing him as being in Black Shroud during the calamity, which was apparently the most heavily devastated place in Eorzea. However, there are details like who was lost, what he was doing, and how specific people reacted that I want him to remember.

I also want him to know that it was Bahamut that caused all of it.

RE: Confusing Calamity - Zac Evans - 11-22-2013

Excuse any spelling errors, I'm on my phone.
What you're after shouldn't be a problem. Like it's been said, all people know FOR CERTAIN is:

1. Dalamud fell at the Battle of Carteneau
2. The Warriors of Light fought at the Battle of Carteneau
3.  Dalamud was actually a prison for the uber scary ass elder primal Bahamut
4. Bahamut blew up the world for all intents and purposes
5. Warriors of Light vanished, and no one can remember what they looked like or their names

Using these facts and putting your own spin on what happened-as so many npcs claim people do-you're all set!