Hydaelyn Role-Players
Name acceptance - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Name acceptance (/showthread.php?tid=5736)

Name acceptance - TheRamosOnline - 12-09-2013

Howdy, totally new here, both on the forums and in game.
So I've just gone and rolled a Keeper of the Moon and met a wall with names.
I'm curious as to what is generally accepted as a name here, as I come from WoW which is a little more fantasy-like with its naming, while this game seems to focus on realistic sounding names (Tyoh Moui for example).

Would a name like "Ami Nightpaw" be within the realms of believable and accepted in RP or is it too farfetched?

I'd rather know sooner while I'm still not invested enough to be able to reroll.
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Of course I could have always looked up naming conventions, but for some reason this never occurred to me.
I believe my post can be somewhat ignored, as I've found a Wiki page discussing the topic of Miqo'te names.
Pardon the wasted topic.

RE: Name acceptance - Sahde Vhidgo - 12-09-2013

Hey there!

Here is a link to the Miqo'te naming conventions established within the game lore:
Miqo'te Naming Conventions

Also, here's a fairly decent name generator, if you'd like to tool around with it:
Name Generator

Keep in mind, numerous players in this community who RP Miqo'te have established reasoning for a character name that doesn't fit this paradigm; that's fine too! These links are merely for assistance!

Cheers! Cactuar

Edit: Looks like you're already covering your bases Wink

RE: Name acceptance - Naunet - 12-09-2013

The Miqo'te Naming Conventions post on the official forums should help you. You can also use the random name generator in game to get ideas.

[edit] Argh, beaten to the punch.

RE: Name acceptance - C'kayah Polaali - 12-09-2013

Hey there! Welcome to The Game (sorry, couldn't resist).

There is some lore about traditional Keeper names which you might find useful. Also, just clicking on the random name generator in the character creator does give you lore-appropriate names (that's what I ended up doing for C'kayah).

There are a bunch of RPers who don't have names that fit the lore, and that's typically fine, too. Maybe what you put as your name in the character creator is just a nickname. Maybe you changed your name to try to fit in better with some culture you're living around. Maybe you just don't like your name. Maybe you were exiled from your community and stripped of your proper name. There are all sorts of possibilities.

As far as Ami Nightpaw goes, I don't think you'd have a problem. Worst comes to worst, tell folks that it was given to you by an alcoholic Lalafell whose restaurant you used to wait tables at.

RE: Name acceptance - TheRamosOnline - 12-09-2013

Aha, thanks for the replies!
I went with the generator and smacked Generator until I got something I liked; P'llofii Hyun.

My second question, while not of the same topic, is the accepted age of characters.
From doing the Conjurer story in closed beta, it seems some people can just be naturally good at healing.
Back in WoW, it was generally frowned upon to be someone skilled in a chosen field if also a young (16-20) character.

Does this translate into FF14, or would a 17 year old Miqo'te white mage (when I get there) make sense in this world?

RE: Name acceptance - Darkfae - 12-09-2013

Ages are something that Squeenix has given us very little guidance on, both in game and out. I've had this thread over on their lore forum for months, without a word from them, but with some feedback from players.

It's driving me nuts.

RE: Name acceptance - LiadansWhisper - 12-09-2013

(12-09-2013, 01:51 PM)TheRamosOnline Wrote: Aha, thanks for the replies!
I went with the generator and smacked Generator until I got something I liked; P'llofii Hyun.

My second question, while not of the same topic, is the accepted age of characters.
From doing the Conjurer story in closed beta, it seems some people can just be naturally good at healing.
Back in WoW, it was generally frowned upon to be someone skilled in a chosen field if also a young (16-20) character.

Does this translate into FF14, or would a 17 year old Miqo'te white mage (when I get there) make sense in this world?

White Mages are different from Conjurers.  I recommend pursuing the White Mage storyline before settling on being a White Mage ICly.  I don't want to give away spoilers, but I'm going to put some behind some tags in case you want to know the details (so you can decide now).

Show Content

And some spoilers for the Conjurer questline:

Show Content

I hope this helps!  There are a lot of options.  Smile  I also came from WoW, btw!

Edited to Add: In terms age, I would recommend that you make your character at least an adult in real-world terms. i.e. at least 18. Some people are very leery of interacting with a character who is a minor, and you may have issues with that.

RE: Name acceptance - LandStander - 12-09-2013

I think that kid from the conjury storyline might be a bit of a rarity, but its not unheard of to be born with a natural gift ^^. I don't think much has been stated about ages except that Elezen have slightly extended life spans, but they never say how long or which race they are comparing them to..

The way I always put it is that someone who is say 19 or 20, probably doesn't have very much experience in combat (unless their childhood warrants it) and would get bested most of time by say a war veteran in their 40's. Plus I think it takes away from the fun of playing a younger character if they enter the world and already know how to summon of beasties and killed 1000 soldiers. I personally like giving my characters a bit of skill and then growing them IC in the game. Provides much more fun RP in my opinion ^^

RE: Name acceptance - LiadansWhisper - 12-09-2013

(12-09-2013, 03:31 PM)LandStander Wrote: I think that kid from the conjury storyline might be a bit of a rarity, but its not unheard of to be born with a natural gift ^^. I don't think much has been stated about ages except that Elezen have slightly extended life spans, but they never say how long or which race they are comparing them to..

She is rare!  However, Sylphie isn't a White Mage.  She's a Hearer, and while they are rare, they are not exclusive.  They can be of any race, too, according to Lore (altho it appears they are most commonly Hyur and Elezen, that may be simply because Gridania is primarily a Hyur and Elezen city-state).

So it's special, but not exclusive like a White Mage.  And she's extremely talented in healing, which you can also be without being a White Mage.

Quote:The way I always put it is that someone who is say 19 or 20, probably doesn't have very much experience in combat (unless their childhood warrants it) and would get bested most of time by say a war veteran in their 40's. Plus I think it takes away from the fun of playing a younger character if they enter the world and already know how to summon of beasties and killed 1000 soldiers. I personally like giving my characters a bit of skill and then growing them IC in the game. Provides much more fun RP in my opinion ^^

Playing a character who is just getting started and learning is great fun.  ^_^

RE: Name acceptance - C'kayah Polaali - 12-09-2013

The whole age thing is a bit challenging in Final Fantasy. From what I've seen of them, there are a ton of very young, very competent characters.

I personally don't sweat it too much. Starting down the path of "it doesn't make sense that this character is so young and yet can still do X" can lead to some sad places. At the end of the day, all that matters is that the game is fun to play. Interesting RP trumps any number of "sins".

RE: Name acceptance - Cheezie - 12-09-2013

[quote pid=70375 dateline=1386617800]
Quote:The way I always put it is that someone who is say 19 or 20, probably doesn't have very much experience in combat (unless their childhood warrants it) and would get bested most of time by say a war veteran in their 40's. Plus I think it takes away from the fun of playing a younger character if they enter the world and already know how to summon of beasties and killed 1000 soldiers. I personally like giving my characters a bit of skill and then growing them IC in the game. Provides much more fun RP in my opinion ^^

Playing a character who is just getting started and learning is great fun.  ^_^
[/quote]

Its very fun it is what I am doing with my Xenophobic Keeper, who was sent to learn at the Arcanist guild in Limsa Lominsa.

RE: Name acceptance - Aysun - 12-09-2013

Just wanted to point out that P'llofii Hyun would be a Seeker of the Sun name, and you said you were making a Keeper of the Moon. Make sure you have the right clan selected! Smile

RE: Name acceptance - TheRamosOnline - 12-09-2013

(12-09-2013, 07:38 PM)Aysun Wrote:
Just wanted to point out that P'llofii Hyun would be a Seeker of the Sun name, and you said you were making a Keeper of the Moon. Make sure you have the right clan selected! Smile

Right you are, I did indeed change to Seeker of the Sun after looking into their naming differences.
Seekers seem to have nicer names to me.

RE: Name acceptance - Xha'li Moui - 12-09-2013

On the subject of age I have Xha'li being ICly moderately competent with the spear/lance as his village traditionally taught all kids how to use either the lance or bow from their 13th harvest.  I also have him being somewhat experienced as a mage despite only having about 1 year of training due to him throwing himself into the early conjury training as a way of coping with the reasons why he left his village, and having a strong magical heritage through one of his parents.