Hydaelyn Role-Players
Any of these character types out there part II? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Any of these character types out there part II? (/showthread.php?tid=5809)

Any of these character types out there part II? - faceman7381 - 12-15-2013

Greetings everyone!!!

Awhile back I made a thread on here about different character types:

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=3731

It got some attention!

Time has passed and I thought with the influx of new people that it was best to give it another round with some new ideas.

So, here we go!

How about the classic Arab Warrior/Dervish?

[Image: herger-joyous-ahmed-ibn-fahdlan--large-m...224872.jpg]

Who can forget the 13th warrior?  With Thalan being a desert hub of travelers and merchants, one wonders if any of you are out there?  Any takers?  This character type would be a lot of fun to mingle with others due to the culture shock!

Of course the ever popular zany witch!

[Image: anime,deviant,art,girl,illustration,witc...ff08_h.jpg]

Who doesn't love a nutty cabalist?  I am sure there are those of you out there whom desire to seek ox tails and bat eyes to throw into a pot and see what happens after a few magic words!  Make yourselves known!!!

The Blind Seer:

[Image: fable2trailer.jpg]

What is more classic then the blind seer?  It is hard to think of a more interesting and unique character then this.  Yes, it has been done to death, but that is why it is so classic.  What would be better then having to be led around while your vague visions lead the group you are with leads them around?

And now to return to the classic FF stuff.

Mime anyone?

[Image: GoGo_Final_Fantasy_6_by_SoulSoDeep.jpg]

As with many people having multiple classes at 50 now, one wonders about someone whom would switch between them at random or in some other way to 'mimic a mimic' if you will.  Of course, with the wild dye system, you too could achieve the crazy mime grabs shown above as well!

Ninja:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHazkWfnbuxxaWDY1crqA...5x4XeeYYnA]

There is no doubt in my mind this is coming someday to the game.  Most likely it will be here sooner then later.  But for now, anyone care to dress and act like one?  Ideas for doing so?  What is your RP code of conduct like?

Dark Knight:

[Image: 05_Lord-Soth_GiantsOfLegend_%24700.jpg]
Again, I have no doubt that this is coming sometime to the game.  However, who is out there now as such?  Yes the whole 'fall-from-grace' thing has been done to death, but hey, again, if it works, then it is done to death!  Whom is forsaken amongst you?

So, please respond to this thread with comments, questions, ideas, additions and your matching characters for the above listed types!

This is a thread just as before, that is designed to unite and assist.  Please allow those whom reply here with their ideas the freedom to do so.

Thank you!

Konner

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - faceman7381 - 01-08-2014

Any Desert Warriors out there?

[Image: MaleAssassin.jpg]

Where are the Derish Assassin?

[Image: desert_assassin_by_monk1-d538r4p.jpg]

Where is Ahmed Ibn Fahdlan?

[Image: 1249594_3_201004_227669_2_024.jpg?version=1261981180]

Thalan is a desert region.  There must be someone out there like this!

It would be really cool to have character like this somewhere.  The cultural differences would be fun to RP.

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - Asgarn - 01-08-2014

An interesting set of character concepts...

Whilst I have not yet played any of them in FFXIV yet, I have played a desert wanderer/warrior in RIFT. He was a remarkably tall, dark-skinned Eth whom adorned himself with the typical gear you would expect a desert wanderer to have. Leather with patchy bits of platemail, ragged cloth, etc. Though, he wielded two-handed sword rather than a scimitar (which I feel added to his character even more. ^_^). He also had a bow on his back which was (RPed as being) rather old and had a torn fabric wrapped around it in places. In terms of personality, he was very much the "Few words, more action guy", being silent at times when sometimes it would seem odd to be so. Plus he was a bit of a loner.

I have, however, had thoughts to roleplay this kind of character again. For a desert warrior, there are three races that really stand out to me: Hellsguard Roegadyn, Highlander Hyur and Dunesfolk Lalafell. Some might say "Why not Seeker of the Sun Miqo'te!?", I simply am not a fan of roleplaying them, sorry! Now, I personally would not roll a Hellsguard due to having a Seawolf already.

This leaves Highlander and Dunesfolk. Highlander would be the typical archetype for this kind of character and perhaps the most obvious choice. However, I love the idea of a Lalafell desert warrior! Totally breaks the mold of what people expect! Plus, you won't expect the silent midget to kneecap you and call him your "Sultan".Moogle

Good luck finding others whom are interested in the other roles! But yeah, desert wanderer may be on the cards.

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - Kendha'to - 01-08-2014

Hrm. A Dunesfolk Lalafell warrior, swathed in a burnoose, scimitar in hand.. it really does ignite the imagination! I say go for it. Thumbsup

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - Xydane - 01-08-2014

What a great thread. Though my character aren't exactly related to those concepts, it does have me wondering what different character concepts we can have for La Noscea, The Black Shroud, Coerthas, and Dravania?

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - faceman7381 - 01-08-2014

Hey if you make the Lala Desert Warrior, I would love to meet him!

And yes, any other geographic based character ideas would be cool to list here too!

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - ansemaru - 01-09-2014

A lot of these are interesting. Which is why, I guess, I'd hate to see them played as a collection of stereotypes and tropes, rather than well thought-out characters.

I suppose I've mulled over character types I'd like to see show up in the RP community as well.

Characters playing against type, for example. Stoic warriors or devoted cultists a la Mullenkamp- but Lalafells. Elezen in service to the Sultana or sailing on ships. Gentle Roegadyn botanists. Prudish Ishgardians who aren't Hyur or Elezen- how about a Miqo'te from the region! Ala Mhigans who aren't Highlanders, and who aren't tragic and proud- instead, try for dishonorable and ambitious!

Putting new flavor spins on classes for the sake of RP could be interesting, if you don't want your character to simply fit into the established story for each job and its guild. In-universe, it's not hard to explain some- you see archers in the ranks of the U tribe out in Thanalan, so having your archer character have learned somewhere other than Gridania isn't out of the question. Honestly, most of the melee classes are pretty flexible like that- a swordsman doesn't need to have learned to fight as a gladiator IC, you hardly need to be a marauder to know your way around a greataxe, spears aren't the sole providence of Gridania any more than bows are, and I like to think that there's room for a pugilist having learned martial arts styles from every corner of Eorzea. The Disciples of Magic are a bit trickier- Stillglade Fane has a monopoly on conjury, and few places seem to have the resources for learning arcanima other than Mealvann's Gate, and while thaumaturgy seems like the sort of magic that one could learn without the guild, it also seems like a monumentally poor idea to do so. Of course, that's part of the fun. A mage who's self-taught or learned their art from a non-standard source would occupy a very interesting place in their world indeed.

In general, I'd also love to see more Ishgardians. There are no end to those from Gridania, Ul'dah, and Limsa Lominsa, as is to be expected, and a good handful of Ala Mhigans and even Garleans running around in the game, but I've noticed far fewer characters hailing for Ishgard/Coerthas. Sharlayan PCs would be interesting, too, but we seem to have a dearth of information about it- odd, considering how many major story NPCs are evidently from Sharlayan. I'm equally interested in Ishgardians who embody the culture and social mores of the region as seen in the game as I am in those who rebel against that!

Something that I'm also deeply invested in seeing more are characters who were adopted across cultures- who weren't Miqo'te taken in by Hyur. That has been done to death, and I'm pretty sure the ones who exist cover enough bases that we don't exactly need additions at this point. What about someone adopted by Roegadyn or Lalafell? Or a Hyur adopted by Miqo'te? I admit, this might be my fondness for the non-Hyur naming schemes (especially Sea Wolf names), but I'm also really interested to see how someone would play a character growing up in a family that isn't their species- and isn't even the same size as them. It'd be pretty odd for, say, Tadesu Gedesu the Elezen to be three times the height of his mom and dad- but pretty powerful on an emotional level if he loves them all the same. Or go even further, and follow the example we see with Loonh Gah- I'd be really interested in seeing a character who was raised by or spent a portion of their life with beastmen. How would it impact a character to have been brought up by Qiqirn or Sylphs- or something more sinister? They'd likely have a very different perspective on the world than someone from the city-states.

...this got way longer than I wanted it to. I guess there's just a whole lot of things I'd be really interested in seeing in terms of character types!

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - Vash - 01-09-2014

[Image: Ff11-red-mage.jpg]

Where all my red mages at!

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - faceman7381 - 01-26-2014

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmR4NRywmfh3-QGaAgqIf..._reMIxlvW4][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmR4NRywmfh3-QGaAgqIf..._reMIxlvW4]To continue and after playing some old Guilty Gears.....

Where is our willy old veteran / grandpa character like Galuf?

[Image: galuf_samsandy.jpg]

Or Kliff Undersn?

[Image: Dragonslayer.jpg]

How about some really cool armored thing that might have to live in it like Justice?

[Image: Justice-Guilty-Gear.jpg]

Or Al from FMA?

[Image: Al1.png]

With all the cool armors on here, got to be something!

Here's a couple more:

Haunted by dragons/ghosts/genies like Dizzy from GG:

[Image: guilty-gear-xx-accent-core-plus-20090417...61-000.jpg]

Or like Ashton from Star Ocean 2?

[Image: 1399083-ashton3.jpg]

Or maybe you control your own shadow, like Zato-One from GG?

[Image: Zato-1.full.1064878.jpg]

If you are out there, let us know of you!

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - TheLastCandle - 01-26-2014

My favorite "willy old veteran" from Square Enix games:

[Image: Dw7-melvin.jpg]

Melvin is his name! (Dragon Quest VII)

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - faceman7381 - 02-24-2014

As noted above, I would like to find the old gruff warrior.  Possibily even a Goffard Gaffgarion type:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Goffard_Gaffgarion

Let us know if you are out there!  There are stories waiting for you to be involved in!

[Image: FFT_Goffard_Gaffgarion_Portrait.png]

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - faceman7381 - 02-24-2014

And of course, still seeking a ninja type out there!

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=6375

[Image: 3-ninjaarc-a.jpg]

Please if you are out there, let us know!  I have been looking for this for a long time. 

There are stories awaiting you!

Thank you.

RE: Any of these character types out there part II? - Dogberry - 02-24-2014

Looking over the list, one of my alts, Iskierka Stormspeaker, is the zany witch type. I've described her in the past as "Morrigan meets Lina Inverse." She's much more of a hedge witch than your standard arcanist, but she does see the allure of civilization's creature comforts.