Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character & Wiki Critique & Feedback - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character & Wiki Critique & Feedback (/showthread.php?tid=5815)

Character & Wiki Critique & Feedback - pas - 12-16-2013

Hello, y'all,

I am very much new to FFXIV, FF (in general), and role playing.

I just finished up my first character's Wiki page. Is there anyone out there willing to give me feedback, both about the character and about the wiki?

Here's the link: Halpask Zwelfsyn

Please, all critique is welcome, as I am trying to improve. I am sure there is a lot to edit.

Additionally, I'll be adding more drawings as I get around to them, and maybe some screenshots, if any are good! That means suggestions for drawings/screenshots are welcome, too. (The unfortunate thing about screenshots is the lack of *~decadent facial hair~* that Halpask has, but alas.)

Thank you!

RE: Character & Wiki Critique & Feedback - pas - 12-16-2013

Bump. (This isn't disallowed, right? Someone let me know if it is.)

RE: Character & Wiki Critique & Feedback - Olofantur - 12-16-2013

Its okay,

I imagine the delay is response is due to a mixture of the time (I'm at work at the moment.), the day (wooo monday.), and the hesitance to critique personal work on an open venue. Which in turn opens up a lot of people to criticism themselves (i'm not saying it will happen, just common enough on the internet at large, watch one person correct another grammer and it all turns into a massive nit-picking competition.)

I'll make a point of reading over it at lunch and saying what I might here, and PMing you the rest if its required.

Cheers! Cactuar

Thanks a bundle! I hadn't thought that people were necessarily hesitant, for some reason, I was just worried that my thread would be lost to the wee hours of the morning in the depths of the forums if I didn't bump it. People sure won't respond to something they haven't seen!

No rush, as well, do it at your convenience and leisure.

RE: Character & Wiki Critique & Feedback - Olofantur - 12-16-2013

Let me preface this with a massive

"My own wiki is still under revamp status due to the nebulous nature of some individuals I had in 1.0 relied on still dragging their feet, I gave them to the end of the year before I simply write them out. So please don't use me as any kind of example, and know that my opinion is one of literally hundreds."

As well as "Your face profile image, /weep so nice, I want better facial hair in game, its lack of choices are why i've gone 'bald.' Oh god art, I always think more art is good. "

On that note, i'd like to start with what I think might be simple technical changes.
-The column width under "general" can be tweaked, its seems fairly small, and since you only have categories it would be safe to widen it without worrying about making a horizontal scroll.

-"complimenting people, uncalled for" under "Likes" looks like it just halted mid statement.

-No Colon after "Hobbies and Talents" but there is one on the other 4

Those are the only casual ones I grabbed at a first read through, now onto ideas for... well not improvement, but just to add things perhaps? As a note, the Wiki is (unless some massive change has been made) considered OOC material, keeping stuff people shouldn't know there by default should be okay and people should respect that. Though I do myself keep a copy in one note with the extra tid-bits I didn't include.

Anywho! I don't think (aside from the swimming trunks shot) there is a single image of your character in their "down time" the chance to see what some one might look like when they think they are alone, or around trusted individuals (if applicable.) helps humanize a character (for me.)

Adding the job level to the classes under "adventurer" I don't think is... necessary? I'm not sure it provides character information thats very useful, if perhaps you meant to show which one he IC had more talent with you could put a "prefers the Lance" or some such, but people (as a note) have a variety of ways of viewing in game stats, (Be it the Lodestone, in game "search info", the lodestone phone app ect.)

Thats about it...

Side question, did you intend to thumbnail your pictures with Gallery? or had you wanted to make it give a zoomable in page view that could be clicked through.

All and all I think it fine, hope I don't offend and provide at least something to think on.

Tah tah for now! Cactuar

Thanks for the critique! & Don't worry, I won't take this as some kind of invitation to tear at your wiki page for some reason. I know you mentioned that the potential for that existed among people earlier haha.

& Thank you also for the profile image compliment. :V I agree that there ought to be more facial hair options, the one I have on Halpask is from/inspired by a cinematic Roegadyn IIRC.

-I'm guessing you mean Combat → General! If you mean the first General then I haven't set any specs about it. I went ahead and removed the width contraints that had been there at default for the tables. Let me know if it looks better/worse. I also took out a couple long bullets. This makes me feel a bit like I need to edit the table below it so that it has similar formatting, what do you think?

-changed wording from ", uncalled for" to "randomly"

-You've got an eye for details! Added that colon.

I like keeping the wiki as a central little hub of all of his information, especially considering I might send off my laptop soon for maintenance and who knows what I'll forget to take off of it for my own reference. I keep a note pad, myself.

You're right! No down time images. I'll put some up on the need-to-draw list. I've had ideas in my head for as many, especially since he's such a fan of reading and I'll surely never get a screenshot of him doing as much.

I think you're absolutely right about job level & class being not very relevant ICly. I had started him as a PGL and so have being a good PGL in his backstory, but when I rerolled him I made him start as lancer for the sake of starting in Gridania and now I'm in a rush to "catch up" to where I was. I suppose I put it there for my own self reference (I see myself in the future having not touched FFXIV in years and looking back nostalgically at my first character only to not remember what level he was in any of his classes!? a nightmare most certainly). I'm going to delete it for now until I can find a way to incorporate it better.

Valid side question. I had not intended to thumbnail them; I had intended to create a window that could be clicked through. Need to get on that coding!
Edit: I can't seem to find the coding for such a thing anywhere... if anyone knows where to look or what it is please let me know.

Thank you very much!