Hydaelyn Role-Players
So...why so many Miqo'te? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: So...why so many Miqo'te? (/showthread.php?tid=5887)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Michikyou - 12-22-2013

(12-22-2013, 05:41 PM)Ckayah Tia Wrote:
(12-22-2013, 05:17 PM)Naih Wrote: *mature response*

I originally came into the game thinking of playing a male lalafell merchant but upon reading up on the lore of the Keepers I became very tempted to make a Miqo'te male who is struggling with his life without his clan. I still roleplay m keeper male as traditional - he respects women, lets them take lead if they do so and knows when to be quiet. He has a sor tof hate for the clanless miqo'te which seem to be in abundance and loves his family beyond compare.

I wanted to play a keeper because by lore standards their concept of greed, thier religion and their family groups sounded interesting to me as an anthropologist.

Ironically, I have not met many miqo'te who roleplay their miqo'te as well, miqote. Most of them roleplay their miqo'te as: "I was adopted by a X race" or "I left my clan for X reason" where in a society that is so structured as it is, it would be VERY VERY outlandish to leave your clan - other clans would probably look down on you for abandoning your family.
That's an interesting point, and you're right, there are a lot of people who don't play around with Miqo'te culture in their Miqo'te.

In C'kayah's case (I may as well join in on the mature response thing), he did leave his clan and it has had an extremely strong impact upon him: he is a strong opponent of Miqo'te tribes maintaining their (in his view) "cultural isolation" from the rest of the world, especially after the Garleans have shown their colors. At the same time, he makes excuses all the time as to why he hasn't returned to his tribe (building on C'io's excellent C-tribe write up, his tribe sends teenagers out to 'hunt the world' for a year or so before returning to take up their adult position in the tribe. C'kayah sometimes maintains that he's still doing this, despite the fact that his world hunting started fifteen years ago), and alternately describes them as rejecting him and uses them as a rationale for doing what he's doing (ask him sometime to discribe his philosophy of stealing from wealthy Ul'dahn families, he'll do it using a C-tribe hunter's metaphor).

That said, the only real thing I had in mind when I created C'kayah was that I would make him to be more of a supporting actor, instead of a lead role. I chose Miqo'te simply because I liked the way they looked, and I figured there was a lot of room to use their culture to generate conflict within C'kayah.

Oh, and for the record, Naih? C'kayah and Naih'ir RPed together once, with Naih'ir coming across as extremely elistist and prejudiced about anyone outside tribal culture, while C'kayah was trying (and poorly, since he's not 100% convinced of this) to argue for Miqo'te abandoning tribal culture. It was a brief scene, but it stands out to me as one of my favorite instances of Miqo'te RP. Just wanted to give you public kudos for that, man. Smile

Big Grin I know. I didn't say all miqo'te roleplayers do not rp them according to lore. But its what they want - to be a hyur.

I enjoy encountering charatcers from tribal settings. It is very interesting. They always have very odd and different views on the world around them. It makes fo some fun roleplay.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Saefinn - 12-22-2013

As a person with two Miqo'te characters, I'll offer my perspective.

Like one of the people to first reply to this thread, I don't like playing disproportionate characters, at least all the time. I do have a Roegadyn alt and a Lalafell, I've tried playing those types before and haven't liked it. But I also like to have something a little more interesting rather than your average human type - not to say they aren't interesting, I mean there's a plethora of things that make the human race interesting without delving into the realms of fantasy - but I mean to look at on screen, I played a Hume in FFXI and wished I picked something else - Mithra would have been my choice, but they didn't have male ones.

Now, I'm not really a Miqo'te for any of their 'sexiness', whilst Saef does play it on, but that's not the driving force of his character - he's got a little bit of an ego. X'hayu on the other hand, she really doesn't fit into that category, I'll come onto her in a moment. Saefinn is my Pirate Captain, he's distant from her culture, in fact, he thinks it's silly - he's killed a Nunh before...and he deserve what was coming to him Wink. His grandad was once a part of it and the Keeper side of things is worked into there, but he joined a crew of Roegadyn and Highlander sailors (called the Sons of Lilja, led by man called 'Lilja'), so his family history is very much in a culture separate to his blood's. The pirate captain thing plays to his ego a little bit and was warped by whore houses, but his "the ladies love me" thing usually comes as a bit of comic relief, but doesn't actually come out that often. Plus, he's drunk as an Irishman at times.. Why didn't I do a Highlander or a Roegadyn instead? Because I don't feel a person's background has to be tied to their race's culture or heritage. I thought the history worked for him and in a way does define how he is, he has a lot of respect for his granddad and it offers him a different perspective of Miqo'te culture.

X'hayu on the other hand, just by the name you can tell I decided to embrace Miqo'te lore a bit more, but I really wanted to stem from the "I'm a cute/sexy Miqo'te" thing, or "Hey, I'm one of many sexual partners to a Nunh". She was a one-cat girl, but well...there's a lot of backstory there. Let's just say, she's alone. She won't tolerate advances and she prefers to cover herself up instead of tarting herself up. A complete contrast to the captain, she's teetotal and she's quite the introvert, which does make bringing her to events a little bit difficult, she'd normally order an orange juice and sit back and watch.

I do find the lore behind the Miqo'te interesting, hence I ended up making my alt one with more background in Miqo'te culture. Why so many? Well, I suppose they do breed like...well, Miqo'te. Tongue

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Kismet - 12-22-2013

(12-22-2013, 05:17 PM)Naih'ir Wrote: Ironically, I have not met many miqo'te who roleplay their miqo'te as well, miqote. Most of them roleplay their miqo'te as: "I was adopted by a X race" or "I left my clan for X reason" where in a society that is so structured as it is, it would be VERY VERY outlandish to leave your clan - other clans would probably look down on you for abandoning your family.

A Miqo'te leaving their clan does not bother me nearly as much because it's an active choice and (one would assume that) the characters are aware of the consequences associated with it.

I am a bit perplexed by people's fascination of having their Miqo'te adopted by Hyur, though.

I have read through a lot of Miqo'te bios on the RPC Wiki. Not all of them, but a pretty decent chunk. A portion of those bios feature Miqo'te who were adopted. And for the life of me, I can't remember a single one where the character in question was adopted by a race other than Hyur. (I'm sure there is at least one out there. I just haven't come across it yet.) The notion of the character being adopted itself is fine. Adoption happens, obviously. But why do they have to be adopted by Hyur parents? What's wrong with having a Roegadyn, Elezen, or even a Lalafell for a parent? Why couldn't they just be adopted by other Miqo'te for that matter?

I'm not saying that no one's character should be adopted by a Hyur at all. What I'm confused by is the fact that a lot of those adopted Miqo'te are being RPed just like humans (that or the player may be using this adoption to justify why the Miqo'te is disconnected from their culture/dislikes tribal Miqo'te/whatever). Do some feel as though their catgirl or catboy has to be adopted by a human to act like a human? Why do they have to be adopted at all to act or think any sort of way? Can they not just act the way they do or have the preferences that they do because they choose to?

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Rinh Hallani - 12-22-2013

(12-22-2013, 05:17 PM)Naih Wrote: Ironically, I have not met many miqo'te who roleplay their miqo'te as well, miqote. Most of them roleplay their miqo'te as: "I was adopted by a X race" or "I left my clan for X reason" where in a society that is so structured as it is, it would be VERY VERY outlandish to leave your clan - other clans would probably look down on you for abandoning your family.

The thing is, why would our characters leave the Shroud or Sagolii, if they were still closely tied to their clan or tribe? I have a Keeper and a Seeker, and whilst clan and tribe still play a big part in both of their histories and RP, playing them as being active parts of said groups is a bit trickier. I have great respect for people who can make tribal culture a main feature of their character's life, like the Hipparion tribe, but conversely, I think it's fine if people don't want to play that way.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - A'byss Shadow - 12-22-2013

(12-22-2013, 06:25 PM)Kismet Wrote:
(12-22-2013, 05:17 PM)Naih'ir Wrote: Ironically, I have not met many miqo'te who roleplay their miqo'te as well, miqote. Most of them roleplay their miqo'te as: "I was adopted by a X race" or "I left my clan for X reason" where in a society that is so structured as it is, it would be VERY VERY outlandish to leave your clan - other clans would probably look down on you for abandoning your family.

A Miqo'te leaving their clan does not bother me nearly as much because it's an active choice and (one would assume that) the characters are aware of the consequences associated with it.

I am a bit perplexed by people's fascination of having their Miqo'te adopted by Hyur, though.

I have read through a lot of Miqo'te bios on the RPC Wiki. Not all of them, but a pretty decent chunk. A portion of those bios feature Miqo'te who were adopted. And for the life of me, I can't remember a single one where the character in question was adopted by a race other than Hyur. (I'm sure there is at least one out there. I just haven't come across it yet.) The notion of the character being adopted itself is fine. Adoption happens, obviously. But why do they have to be adopted by Hyur parents? What's wrong with having a Roegadyn, Elezen, or even a Lalafell for a parent? Why couldn't they just be adopted by other Miqo'te for that matter?

I'm not saying that no one's character should be adopted by a Hyur at all. What I'm confused by is the fact that a lot of those adopted Miqo'te are being RPed just like humans (that or the player may be using this adoption to justify why the Miqo'te is disconnected from their culture/dislikes tribal Miqo'te/whatever). Do some feel as though their catgirl or catboy has to be adopted by a human to act like a human? Why do they have to be adopted at all to act or think any sort of way? Can they not just act the way they do or have the preferences that they do because they choose to?
Now don't hold this to fact, but I THINK it might be a move made to avoid embarrassment. Since Hyur are the most like human, and the other races might hold different ideas and such, its only natural to be worried that the next thing your character says might be viewed more Hyur than your background suggests. (I'd wager because of the fact that we actually ARE human, and thus think like humans.) To be completely honest before reading this thread I was going to make that move, for the exact same reason. However, I have now decided to read up on the lore, fix myself into it, and try this the RIGHT way. Not to say anyone elses is the wrong way at ALL. Just saying I was going to take the lazy way out.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Tiergan - 12-22-2013

I rolled miqo'te for two reasons that relate to FFXI.

1) My main in FFXI was a mithra named Lurial and I have a lot of fond memories of my time in that game.  So for old time's sake, when FFXIV 1.0 came out, I made a miqo'te named Lurial that looked similar. (Though with a completely different backstory and personality to suit the new game.)

2) Male mithra and famale galka were not playable in FFXI even though players really, really wanted them.  (Well, maybe not the female galka since they didn't even exist according to lore.)  So when 2.0 came out and male miqo'te and female roegadyn were playable, some part of my mind went "AT LAST, AFTER 10 LONG YEARS. I CAN FINALLY ROLL A MANTHRA AND A LADY-GALKA."

What didn't help matters was that Tiergan was originally an elezen back in 1.0, but when 2.0 came out, they updated the graphics.  The updated graphics are AMAZING, but unfortunately, Elezen-Tiergan went from looking really angry and awesome all the time to really... bloody bored.  In every cutscene he appeared in, he just looked as though he could not summon up an ounce of emotion other then boredom - Ascians and beastmen be damned.  So Tiergan became Lurial's twin brother at that point.

To be perfectly honest though - I often regret that Lurial and Tiergan are miqo'te and not highlanders.  I ended up not liking the miqo'te naming conventions and the lore behind the miqo'te tribes (no offense to anyone that does! Different strokes for different folks and all).  Their backgrounds really suit highlander characters infinitely more then cats.  The only reason why I haven't altered them is that I've already done too much RP with both of them at this point for them to suddenly race-swap and Lurial doesn't have any fantasia potions on her anymore.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - ArmachiA - 12-22-2013

Every single character I've actively roleplayed in this game has been Hyur. Every one XD 2 Midlanders, 2 Highlanders.

THAT being said. I have Male and female Miqote rolled, though I much much prefer the male aesthetic. I think the males look really sleek and I played one in Beta 1 and 2 and enjoyed it immensely. I love all the animations of the Male Miqote, I adore the /sit, they run like they're quick and agile, and I just love the design. So I can absolutely see why people roll them.

I mean, in 1.0 Armi was an Elezen and the only reason she's not right now is because in Beta I hated the Elezen animations. Design is everything.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Jomoru - 12-22-2013

I originally came into the game thinking of playing a male lalafell merchant but upon reading up on the lore of the Keepers I became very tempted to make a Miqo'te male who is struggling with his life without his clan. I still roleplay m keeper male as traditional - he respects women, lets them take lead if they do so and knows when to be quiet. He has a sor tof hate for the clanless miqo'te which seem to be in abundance and loves his family beyond compare.

I wanted to play a keeper because by lore standards their concept of greed, thier religion and their family groups sounded interesting to me as an anthropologist.

Ironically, I have not met many miqo'te who roleplay their miqo'te as well, miqote. Most of them roleplay their miqo'te as: "I was adopted by a X race" or "I left my clan for X reason" where in a society that is so structured as it is, it would be VERY VERY outlandish to leave your clan - other clans would probably look down on you for abandoning your family.

Really I kind of find the large numbers of outcastes or rejects to make sense in a historical comparison Modern tribals have had interaction with the outside world so they can be strong enough to reject it, but historically the rise of powerful cities have been the detrimental to traditional rural ways. We rp people in the cities it makes sense our characters would be the ones who are more likely to abandon the old ways.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Michikyou - 12-22-2013

(12-22-2013, 10:23 PM)Jomoru Wrote:

Really I kind of find the large numbers of outcastes or rejects to make sense in a historical comparison Modern tribals have had interaction with the outside world so they can be strong enough to reject it, but historically the rise of powerful cities have been the detrimental to traditional rural ways. We rp people in the cities it makes sense our characters would be the ones who are more likely to abandon the old ways.
Actually - we roleplay people coming to the cities. Not from the cities.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Ilwe'ran - 12-22-2013

I can relate a bit with you Naih : I'm a girl IRL, playing a Miqo'te male, which has a Family, take care of it as he's suppose to do, he is usualy quiet and respect females.

I picked up Miqo'te in the first place because there are not so many races that can have blue skin and normal proportions. Roe.. No, not me at all.. And Elezen was just not possible, I just can't stand their tiny head.
Then, well, I'm a girl and Keeper Lore.. That attract me I may say ? Maybe like Naih, HELL YEAH GIRL POWER ! (Hey wait a minute, WHY THE HELL DO I PLAY A MALE ! *hum*).
And I have to add that I love the male miqo'te /sit. Yep. Addicted to it.

I think most of RPer has a reason related to his RP. Question could be asked to people that doesn't RP, answers will probably be interesting.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Jomoru - 12-23-2013

(12-22-2013, 10:31 PM)Naih Wrote: Actually - we roleplay people coming to the cities. Not from the cities.

It makes sense those who have abandoned their homes might abandon in some fashion their old ways.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Elyscia - 12-23-2013

(12-22-2013, 06:25 PM)Kismet Wrote: I am a bit perplexed by people's fascination of having their Miqo'te adopted by Hyur, though.

My female Miqo'te is adopted by Hyurs, and I can at least provide insight as to why I personally did it.

I am new to RP'ing - have only started 2 months ago, so a large part of my inexperience and ignorance is portrayed through my character: my inability to unable to massively research the lore properly, or understand certain aspects about the game. I chose Hyur, of course obviously being the race closest to humans, and as such I assumed there would be similarities where I wouldn't need to worry about sticking to the lore (well, I hoped.)

There is a TV Trope I don't remember the name of.. basically, it's the 'Audience Relative' or something? Say, they put a very stupid character in a game, or anime, and because of his stupidity other characters around him explain to them about the world (like Ash in Pokemon.) Yeah, Elyscia is my 'Audience Relative.' I play her as incredibly, painfully naive - but hey, at least it's fun.

So, why not create a Hyur character to RP with? My PVE Main character whom I do not RP with is a Hyur, and I did not wish to create another one - Miqo'tes were so very pretty to me, and I wanted to be of similar race to the friend who started RP'ing with me.

TL;DR: I'm stupid, my character's stupid.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Kismet - 12-23-2013

(12-23-2013, 12:31 AM)Elyscia Wrote: My female Miqo'te is adopted by Hyurs, and I can at least provide insight as to why I personally did it.

I am new to RP'ing - have only started 2 months ago, so a large part of my inexperience and ignorance is portrayed through my character: my inability to unable to massively research the lore properly, or understand certain aspects about the game. I chose Hyur, of course obviously being the race closest to humans, and as such I assumed there would be similarities where I wouldn't need to worry about sticking to the lore (well, I hoped.)

There is a TV Trope I don't remember the name of.. basically, it's the 'Audience Relative' or something? Say, they put a very stupid character in a game, or anime, and because of his stupidity other characters around him explain to them about the world (like Ash in Pokemon.) Yeah, Elyscia is my 'Audience Relative.' I play her as incredibly, painfully naive - but hey, at least it's fun.

So, why not create a Hyur character to RP with? My PVE Main character whom I do not RP with is a Hyur, and I did not wish to create another one - Miqo'tes were so very pretty to me, and I wanted to be of similar race to the friend who started RP'ing with me.

TL;DR: I'm stupid, my character's stupid.

Don't say you're stupid! As much of a cop-out as this may sound like to some, you are a very good exception to what I was talking about. Being new to RPing, not knowing every single little scrap of lore, and etc. are more than decent reasons to be handling things as you are. (At least in my opinion, anyway.) My post was aimed largely at players who think that's the only way their character's personality is justified, when that's simply not true. (It was also admittedly aimed at some players who're just way too influenced by anime/JRPGs...)

And for the Miqo'te simply being pretty thing? I did not add anything like the question "if you're going to act like a human, why not just play a human?" to my initial post. I've seen others try to make that argument and I find it a poor one. Aesthetics mean a lot to an RPer, and we can do whatever we want with our monthly fee. Having a character that acts pretty much like a human yet is another race is justified if that's just what you like. As a poster or two said earlier, being a human is boring for some. I look in the mirror and see a human EVERY day, so if I want to look at cat ears and a tail while my character is running around, that's my (and everyone else's) prerogative.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Knight Kat - 12-23-2013

Dammit, I am soooo late to this party! Why would you start this thread while I am at work???? Conspiracy!

Why would I play a Miqo'te? Jeez so many reasons. Prepare for a my usual walls of text...Frustrated

1: The Miqo'te lore is interesting to me. I especially love the Keeper lore. I felt that a young female Keeper would be perfect to be the character I wanted to make. She comes from a matriarchal culture of hunters and huntresses that struggles to maintain traditions and survive in a quickly changing and hostile world. She is strong, willful, independent, down-to-Earth, sophisticated and intelligent (I didn't neglect to give her plenty of flaws too). NOT a typical animeish cat-girl.

2: Like many others have already said, I wanted a character who was not entirely human. I wanted a more feral, yet still humanoid and intelligent character. However, the races of this game are very well made, so it was not an easy choice.

3: Honestly, I like cats. Do I roll my Rs? NO. Do I "nya" in my sentences? NO. Do I take inspiration from anime cat-girls? NEVER. Does my character have SOME cat-like tendencies? ...yes Only because I have fun with the concept of having some feral tendencies, and emotes with the ears and tail. However, I try to keep the cat-like emotes under control and make sure I don't get too silly with them. Also, if I am in a tense RP scenario I will appropriately evaluate my emotes before using them, so I don't ruin the mood with some emote others might find funny. Plus, the Miqo'te already have some cat-like animations without us players doing any emotes. Female Miqo'te waking up, and getting out of bed? CUTE!

Also, look at it this way. If the only race we could be was Hyur, would every PC loose their uniqueness? Not IMHO. We could have only Miqo'te as a race, and everyone could still be unique. The different races add an aesthetic variety and a foundation for lore, but do not make each PC who they are.

RE: So...why so many Miqo'te? - Magellan - 12-23-2013

(12-22-2013, 06:25 PM)Kismet Wrote:

And for the life of me, I can't remember a single one where the character in question was adopted by a race other than Hyur.

I'm not saying that no one's character should be adopted by a Hyur at all. What I'm confused by is the fact that a lot of those adopted Miqo'te are being RPed just like humans (that or the player may be using this adoption to justify why the Miqo'te is disconnected from their culture/dislikes tribal Miqo'te/whatever). Do some feel as though their catgirl or catboy has to be adopted by a human to act like a human? Why do they have to be adopted at all to act or think any sort
of way? Can they not just act the way they do or have the preferences that they do because they choose to?

@Naih: I completely disagree. I think in the current world of Eorzea there are many, many, many examples of npc miqo'te who currently reside in city-states who no longer seem to be part of any tribe, for whatever reason. Things in the city-states very much seem to be cultural melting pot. If people want to play tribal kitties thats great! If, however, they want to play more worldly kitties, that's great too, and adoption is an easy solution to that. There is no 'correct' way to play any one race, as that would be limiting and cookie cutter, and make for rather boring rp.

@Kismet: I actually have never played a human in any mmo I've ever played before b/c I considered it boring. One of my goals when I started FFXIV was to change that. I wanted the 'challenge' of playing average joe race, and somehow make it interesting. Only, none of the midlander looks appealed to me at ALL.

I next looked at making a miqo'te, a seeker. But the lore for them absolutely didn't interest me in the slightest. Sooo.... since I wanted the challenge of playing human but didn't like their look, but like the look of seeker but yawned about their lore... why not make a hyur kitty? I knew going in it was an oft used trope, but so what? RP is about having fun.

And for the record, I have another seeker who is Roegadyn adopted :p