Hydaelyn Role-Players
In need of help with Elezen Character - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: In need of help with Elezen Character (/showthread.php?tid=5925)

In need of help with Elezen Character - Kailia - 12-26-2013

Okay so, I decided I'd like to play an elezen. I've rolled one, did the few quests around Gridania and got her to level 5, even sent her some basic clothing. But I am having trouble finding a right personality/history for her.

So I'd like help developing her. First, here's a pic of her:

[Image: KcpOtYf.png]

And a working history right now which is very very plain:

Year 1550 - Yaelle's Birth Year
Year 1562 - Yaelle begins training with the bow.
Year 1572 - The Calamity Happens.
Year 1575 - Yaelle joins the Archer's Guild officially.
Year 1577 - Current Timeline. Yaelle is 27

So I got basically a skeleton of the character worked out. But I've never played an Elezen before, so I'd love any help with her personality and/or history you guys are willing to give Smile

RE: In need of help with Elezen Character - ansemaru - 12-26-2013

Well, if she's a Gridanian Wildwood, she more than likely comes from a more well-to-do background than a Wildwood elsewhere or a Duskwight anywhere. Gridania is pretty much Wildwood Central in terms of population distribution, and they tend to hold positions of authority and power alongside the Padjal. Look to the Archers' Guild, the Adventurers' Guild, the Carpenters' Guild, and the markets, and you'll find Wildwoods running the show. So, if for example, you wanted her to come from a wealthy old Gridanian family, either nobility of merchants, you're in a good position to.

Of course, there are loads of Wildwoods who aren't as well-off, but no less noteworthy. Many of them use their skills in combat to support the Wood Wailers or the Twin Adders, defending Gridania from outside threats like the Ixal. Or are farmers outside the city. Or merchants. You get the idea. Since you're playing an archer, I'm guessing you'll want to roll with that, though.

A good hook might be the fact that Wildwoods and Gridanians are wary towards outsiders. They wish to protect their homeland, and since their homeland has a history of rejecting outsiders by way of the elementals' wrath, they belong to a culture that doesn't precisely smile on people who aren't already from Gridania. Not to say she needs to be a snob (unless you want her to be), but she might be intensely protective of Gridania, as well as proud of the relative beauty and tranquility of the place. Or she could be someone who's always felt stifled by living in one place that's very content to keep to itself, and wants to travel a world that she is overall not very familiar with yet. In that case, you should have her brace for culture shock when she goes to Limsa Lominsa or Ul'dah for the first time.

Ultimately, it's up to you. My recommendations are very much tailored to your character being a Wildwood from Gridania. You also have the option open to make her Ishgardian, which... if you've played the game's story, you've gotten a taste of what the Ishgardians are like. The most snobbish and uptight of Gridania times ten, typically speaking, though there are obviously good eggs in there.

RE: In need of help with Elezen Character - Kailia - 12-26-2013

Thanks for the ideas! I think I now got a working character now. Gonna go with wealthy family, she saw very little of her parents when she was born, was raised mostly by a nanny.

Parents got her a tutor to teach her the basics (Reading, writing, music and needlework) and later archery. Parents died because of the calamity, and she wants to now see the world, because she's been pent up in her estates for most of her life. So she will be in for some cultural shock for sure, but she also will be impressionable. Also decided to de-age her to 20 instead of 27.