Hydaelyn Role-Players
Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? (/showthread.php?tid=6114)

Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - Seriphyn - 01-12-2014

Hi there,

Recent developments MIGHT see the Flame Yataghans elevate to a full-blown FC...however, it's long been established as a LS beforehand. Many of our long-time members are understandably unwilling or unable to leave their current FCs to potentially join this new one. People will be understanding of this, however. It's just that one potential guild officer will not be part of the FC, as they cannot leave theirs. What we'll do is just enforce the LS as the primary speaking channel, so that everyone is included. Nonetheless, we'll have full in-character members who aren't't in the FC but will be in the LS...

So, question...who here runs their guild that has no delineation between FC and LS? Does it work well, does it not work well? Do you have any recommendations? Is it a big deal, or absolutely workable?

RE: Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - Aysun - 01-12-2014

Crystalline does this. There is a free company that is not mandatory, but the IC side is in LS. We have rules in place to keep the chatter in the FC to a minimum so that people that only have the LS are not left out. Personally I love it when RP groups are smart and have their IC side in LS instead of FC, because it's so restrictive only being allowed to join one FC.

RE: Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - John Spiegel - 01-13-2014

(01-12-2014, 11:50 PM)Aysun Wrote: Crystalline does this. There is a free company that is not mandatory, but the IC side is in LS. We have rules in place to keep the chatter in the FC to a minimum so that people that only have the LS are not left out. Personally I love it when RP groups are smart and have their IC side in LS instead of FC, because it's so restrictive only being allowed to join one FC.
What she said~

We pretty much use the FC chat as a quick OOC shout out to people on it, then sending tells to those that aren't in the FC when we throw together a dungeon run or some other OOC thing. We have a chatroom on our forums for OOC talk. The main reason we even are an FC is for when we get around to having gil for a house, which is a steep slope IC and OOC (damn you prices!) but other than that, we don't really acknowledge a difference between being in the FC or just having a pearl. We understand folks like endgame progression which pretty much calls to join an endgame FC.

You shouldn't have any problems if you make your FC chat restricted~!

RE: Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - ansemaru - 01-13-2014

Answering on behalf of our fearless leader- Lansquenet's IC functions are all done through a LS, allowing for people in other FCs to still participate in our activities and join us. Our actual FC chat is OOC, but used for organizational purposes. It is completely reasonable to have a core FC but a linkshell that covers similar/extended functions.

RE: Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - FreelanceWizard - 01-13-2014

I too will answer on behalf of the leadership of my... guild, I guess? Smile

Mysterium continues to use two LSes (one IC and OOC), and doesn't use the FC chat at all. There's no requirement that a member be part of the FC, though in practice, most of the membership is.

The major problem we've encountered is the 8 linkshell limit. When you have people who want to RP with multiple groups, and are members of Balmung's Finest, and Intermission, and have a private LS for their friends, one's LS list can fill up very quickly. Likewise, if a "guild" has multiple alliances and private channels for each, members can burn up a lot of LS slots on those. None of these are insurmountable problems, however.

RE: Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - Seriphyn - 01-13-2014

Wow, thank you for the replies! Seems like it's pretty simple after all then!

RE: Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - C'kayah Polaali - 01-13-2014

The Laughing Lady works this way, too. It's mainly a set of RP linkshells (one OOC, one IC) for the tavern, and then the associated FC is mainly just for the convenience of people who want to help run (OOCly) the thing. This lets us have plenty of patrons from different FCs, and it provides enough flexibility so that we can simultaneously have IC tavern RP, OOC discussion about the RP as it happens, plus FC-only discussion about things we want to bring into it, all at the same time.

The NHSC, on the other hand, is strictly just a linkshell. It probably could be a free company, but I like people being able to participate without leaving their current FC.

So, I guess, it's really up to you and what you want for your FC/LS.

RE: Who runs their RP guild as a combined FC/LS? - Tiergan - 01-13-2014

Speaking for the leaders of the Traveling Templar (they can smack me if I got the details wrong!), in that they work this way too.  Everyone with a Templar Pearl is considered a Templar, but you don't have to be part of the FC.

As someone who is already tied to another FC, I like the sense of 'community without borders' that it can foster if done right.