Hydaelyn Role-Players
Mount Up! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Mount Up! (/showthread.php?tid=6395)

Pages: 1 2

Mount Up! - Steel Wolf - 02-18-2014

I've posted a thread elsewhere about "dream mounts" for this game...but this time I want to open discussion regarding the mounts we have now, and perhaps how they can tie in to RP.

I've seen many people in many of the mounts out now,and I always question to myself "How deep does their motivation lie?"  Do people ride a mount due to specific characterization and consideration, or because sitting on top of a tamed goobue is just hilarious?

Personally, I maybe think too hard on this.  Steel rides her chocobo almost exclusively, or will hop into her Magitek mount simply because the machinery is fascinating to her, but I don't ever see her riding the courel or ahriman or drake mounts.  Actually, if she were a stronger magic user (or if she becomes a Dark Knight), I'd have the little Beady Eye pet follow her around, and use the ahriman mount exclusively, RP'ing it as being given a magical boon to increase its size and be used as a form of transportation.

....in short, I think about this stuff a bit too much.  In my defense, though, these minor details form a more complete character in my view.  One should consider all the little quirks, preferences and proclivities when thinking up an RP avatar.

So, what about you folks?  Why do you ride what you ride?  Or should I just shut up and ride whatever?

RE: Mount Up! - Illira - 02-18-2014

My Roe rides the Ahriman simply because I find it incredibly ironic, given what background I know of her. She would never ride it ICly (I don't think anyway... Undecided).

Besides that I normally use my coeurl, simply because I really don't like Chocobos, OOCly. If I had any RP scenes where my characters were to need a mount, they would use the Chocobo though, as they are what are commonly used to get around, and make the most sense for general use cases.

So I guess my real answer to this is that I really just seperate IC from OOC in the case of using mounts to get about the world. If RPing though, its best to abide by what makes sense for the scene/character!

RE: Mount Up! - Nebbs - 02-18-2014

Chocobo "Blinky" Nebbs rescued from gient killer crabs and they are best friends. Mainly now Blinky fights with her rather than be her mount.

She tamed a Coeurl that she road for a while, but since gaining a Drake she is set.

RE: Mount Up! - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-18-2014

My character rides a chocobo, because chocobo's are cool. It also gives some explanation to leveling lancer. Theoretically sultansworn would sometimes fight mounted (they are knights of a sort after all), so my character is training to fight better on chocobo-back.

RE: Mount Up! - Rosekitten - 02-18-2014

Actually IC'ly from back in the beta when they showed a teaser image of a player character on a drake.. I had it planned out that my character would have a drake (so to say the least returning back home to Ishgard is out of the question for the simple fact she likes her head where it is...).

Though mount wise I have a bit of a back story with my character and her chocobo Zeek, A giant yellow bird who I describe more or less as a feathered puppy. More often then not the bird gets over excited in greeting people and ends up tackling them or scaring the poor sods. 

The drake on the other hand I have not given a name to just yet, and IC'ly it is still in the process of growing so riding it wouldn't happen quite yet. Soon though... I've had both Zeek and the drake be useful in a few little rp skits to say the least so my character is certainly happy to have them around.

RE: Mount Up! - Naunet - 02-18-2014

Antimony doesn't own any mount or pet or whatnot, so everything of that nature that I have is strictly OOC.

I prefer the couerl (or the drake, as I have it on Anti) over chocobos though in an OOC sense, so that's usually what I'm riding on any of my characters. I would love to have a wolf mount though - especially the model in Coerthas. D:

RE: Mount Up! - Sophia_Grave - 02-18-2014

Sophia doesn't ride anything. Magitek armor is too wtfhuge and she'd never trust an animal with its own mind to get her around.

If SE decides to release some sort of motorcycle, it would suit her perfectly, though!

RE: Mount Up! - Maril - 02-18-2014

If any of my characters mount up, it'll be on a chocobo, because they seem like the 
only type of transportation that is about as common as drinking water. I might be wrong in that, but that's how I take it given how the world looks and all. And it would likely be a rented one as well. 
I'd be reluctant to use any of the other mounts because they all seem "special" in some fashion that is out of reach for all of my characters. And I cringe a bit when I see people icly use the unicorn, but that's mostly because it's questline goes along the lines of it being like the only unicorn left in the world. It's a shame cause they're awesome, but oh well. 

If they ever add actual horses, I might see about having one of my characters icly save up to get one.

RE: Mount Up! - TheWizard - 02-18-2014

To be honest, I'm dissatisfied with the current available selection of mounts in game. None really jump out and grab me so I normally just use my chocobo.

I would really like to see more magically-themed mount or ones based on the ancient civilizations of Nym or the Allagan Empire. Although an Allagan mount would probably look like something out of Tron... which would be pretty cool in my opinion.

RE: Mount Up! - Erik Mynhier - 02-18-2014

Erik rode a Unicorn he "summoned" from a ring his mother left him, but he IC lost the ring awhile ago after a big fight. He has been looking for it with no luck. He has been making due with one of the chocobo from his FC stable recently, but he misses Fortemps, his unicorn.

That's a bit of background, but I would add barding and companion abilities to our existing, non-chocobo mounts before add another. But that's just me.

RE: Mount Up! - KBdeni - 02-18-2014

Yehn'a found a baby Coeurl pup not long after he began studying to become an arcanist. He decided to keep it, and now it's become his mount. 

OOC I tend to switch between the Chocobo and Coeurl randomly. IC, the Chocobo is mostly a battle companion to Yehn'a.

RE: Mount Up! - Maqali Qulaan - 02-18-2014

OOCly, I want a morbol mount. NAO.

ICly, Janna does not ride, and is in fact a bit nervous every time she's had to hitch a ride on someone else's chocobo. The way she grew up, anything that big was either for eating or running from.

RE: Mount Up! - Cato - 02-18-2014

I'm not opposed to the use of unusual mounts provided it makes sense, though all too often role-players acquire something shiny or interesting and then feel the need to make some weird and contrived reason as to why their character has access to something that doesn't make all that much sense to begin with.

I was lucky enough to acquire a very sought after mount back when I played WoW actively. I wouldn't dream of riding it around IC, though. Mostly because not everything I achieve OOC needs to affect my role-play in the first place.

As for what I'd like to see? I'd settle for different coloured chocobos - especially since they're the most iconic steed in the franchise.

RE: Mount Up! - Nykkus Trachspyr - 02-18-2014

Nykkus rides a Coeurl IC - for one it fits her personality better than any other currently available option, and I do have a bit of backstory for it. Since she currently doesn't remember that time period, it'll be something revealed as things move along.

On very rare occasion she will summon her Chocobo, Sheol, to fight alongside her, but has no true connection with it.

RE: Mount Up! - Almil - 02-18-2014

Looks like I'm only one that thinks all other mounts should be removed from the game and just keep the chocobo? Chocobo