Hydaelyn Role-Players
Where would I fit in best? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Where would I fit in best? (/showthread.php?tid=6425)

Where would I fit in best? - Chompie - 02-20-2014

Heya! So I'm thiiiiis close to getting FFXIV, but I've gotta find the right place to go before I join.

I'm a veteran of about seven thousand MMORPGs, and if those have taught me anything, it's that I just can't stick to something unless I seek out the RP server. This time though, there are two of them! 

I know myself pretty well- despite my pretty extensive experience with roleplaying, I will probably ALWAYS be a Light RPer. By far my favorite bits of RPing are bonding with others while adventuring, trading cheesy quips and snide jabs and accidentally inflicting character development upon each other. Running into people unexpectedly is what makes things worthwhile for me- I'm much more likely to dive into a goofy interaction on the street than a conversation in the tavern or a sermon in the park. I'm an explorer, a goofball, and the kind of person who feels warm and fuzzy inside when I get distracted by someone roleplaying a street performer while I'm on my way from A to B.

So what am I looking for in a server?
- A healthy enough RP community that there ARE little things going on in the street, or enough general people hanging around the server that I can start them on my own.
- A healthy enough playing-the-game community that, if I'm out exploring the world, I might run into other people! Otherwise it's awfully lonely out there.

I'm sorta leaning toward Balmung, but that big ole (LEGACY) tag kind of scares me. Reminds me of trying to explore on a server where everyone is at max level and has been doing scheduled events for so long that it's the only thing anyone participates in. That's happened a lot.

At the risk of repeating myself, I'm going to keep typing!
I don't generally bother with a character's detailed history. I'm more concerned with who a character IS than what they've done. As I play a character, I get a more detailed idea of who they are, and weave together their background from analyzing how I play them and why they would act that way, with a healthy measure of turning jokes or ideas others have given me about my own character into canon past events. It's much more fun to figure out a backstory that way, I think! 

Also I'd like to reiterate how much I love ending up in a group who appreciates the art of spouting cheesy quips at monsters or big bad bosses before or after combat. There are so many giggles to be had!
(If you've guessed by now that my favorite game I've ever RPed in was City of Heroes, give yourself a Hami-O)

I'm a big advocate of doing roleplaying in /say if at all possible. It's a noble deed to act in a way that mildly amuses strangers around you. Putting an even slightly memorable event into someone's otherwise dreary and boring day makes the world more fun to live in. This applies to meatspace too! If I can make someone say "I don't understand why those grown-ass women were playing Go Fish in the elevator" when they get home instead of "Welp, another day of work done" then my life is a success.

But enough about me! Which server should I choose? Should I just go with my gut and buy the game and pick Balmung already or what?

EDIT: A surefire way for me to think of more things to write is to submit a post. I forgot to mention that it's a really big plus if a server has lots of Australians or just late-nighters. The vast majority of time where I'm free to actually focus on one thing is during the night. Past 10PM Pacific, to be precise

RE: Where would I fit in best? - Evie - 02-20-2014

Don't be afraid of the legacy title with Balmung. I'm not a legacy player, but it has given an interesting RP aspect to lore. The community here is really great, lots of events, lots of RP. You almost step all over it at times there's so much.

Lots of events are posted here for you to see, there are two I believe happening this weekend alone, possibly more that I'm not aware of.

There's also quite a few guilds with the tag <<__-RP>>. I'm in one myself and if an person walks up and just starts talking I go with it and quite enjoy it. With the RP tag over my head, I hope people are reading it as "Open for RP! Come in and enjoy!"

No doubt there will be many many people who will reply to this thread saying that they are open and willing for RP. So you won't be short on friends, as long as your not too shy. Smile

So Welcome to the RPC, and I hope you find your forever home. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

RE: Where would I fit in best? - Erik Mynhier - 02-21-2014

No offence to Gil-Players, but as someone who has played both, Balmung is the better server by far in way of friendliness and quality RP. I'm not sure why we don't just pull the folk from Gilgamesh and focus on Balmung, but whatever.

RE: Where would I fit in best? - Aldotsk - 02-21-2014

Considering that I was from Gilgamesh as RPer and End-gamer, I can definitely give you recommendation that Balmung is a good server if you want more roleplayer community. Gilgamesh has some limits, but they have some solid and good side of RP community without a doubt. 

Welcome aboard regardless, Smile I hope you'll make the right decision and call it your home!

RE: Where would I fit in best? - Old Account - 02-21-2014

Whoa, all right, let's hold the phone and explain a bit more about Gilgamesh.

Our community here is smaller.  We did not have the boon Balmung had from legacy players, and when the servers were locked and people wanted to RP in-game, an alternative was found.  Not everyone wants to up and move when not everyone can or is willing to, and people have laid roots.  As such, we are a growing community.  That means the community members here have to put in a lot of work to get meaningful experiences.  You get what you put in.  Because we are smaller, we are a bit harder to find.  We are there, of course, but we are definitely not as big as Balmung.  Most of our community is State-side or similar.  We have very few EU players, or folks in GMT in general.

I'm not trying to tell you or anyone else to join Gilgamesh; in fact, you, OP, do sound like Balmung would fit you better, if only based by your available times.  Gilgamesh does not fit everyone's cup of tea, but it does have people who care for it greatly as it is.  Please don't put us down.  Sad

RE: Where would I fit in best? - Faye - 02-21-2014

I would certainly recommend Balmung Smile Also, I don't think anyone was putting down Gilgamesh. The community is smaller, that's nothing more than fact.

RE: Where would I fit in best? - Chompie - 02-22-2014

Thanks a ton to all of you for the advice! Looks like Balmung it will be~

See you in game!