Hydaelyn Role-Players
New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. (/showthread.php?tid=6460)

New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Heroshi - 02-24-2014

This will be my topic to ask for guidance on developing sensible character attributes, I'll only be doing light-RP as my prime goal is just well, end-game content, but I digress.

For starters... I need a last name, badly, I can't even play without it. And I also apologize if this is the wrong board to ask for help on these kinds of things.

Now, on all games I've rped on, I've typically gone by one name and one name only, just Heroshi. Being forced into a last name is neat in a number of ways and kind of an annoyance in others.

My character is a Male Hyur Midlander. I'm just looking for recommendations / help on coming up with something that sounds nice as a last name for Heroshi. I've tried English and Latin thus far but I'm.. quite sure an eastern sounding last name would be most fitting, though I'm not very creative. Also, after I've gotten into the game I'll poke back for some other help. (Though after this post is created, I'm off to bed, but I'll be checking/replying in the morning!)

Thank you guys though! Looking forward to any replies in the morning.

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Faye - 02-24-2014

Hello and welcome! Midlanders typically have English names, though, granted, such would likely sound strange paired with Heroshi. I would advise against using any Latin names, as the Garlean Empire uses Roman names. Smile

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Heroshi - 02-24-2014

I see, thank you then! I do have William and a couple last names to use for him, then. Would that be more fitting?

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Sophia_Grave - 02-24-2014

William is a great name. Just for a reference, the official game forum's lore section has an amazing series of threads outlining all the races' naming conventions here.

As a midlander, you really can't go wrong with naming. They do have some trends, but there's plenty of serious RP'ers who don't follow them stringently.I would say use whatever name you're comfortable with.

Ah, I was looking for a thread on naming styles for each race, I think I'll just go with William as it's much easier to find a suitable English last name (and probably my actual last name due to the English heritage, or not, I have a couple others but I will decided once I get to play later today!), that and I suppose it does fit better for a Hyur than Heroshi from a lore standpoint. 
Thank you guys, though. I'm eager to get started.

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Evie - 02-24-2014

Don't know if you've chosen a last name yet, but something to consider is that many English last names developed based upon the job you had. Example, Smith, most likely the last name of a family of blacksmiths, keep in mind that most of the time such jobs were inherited and pasted down through family.

So if you know a little bit of what you're planning for your character's background, like maybe about father's job, you could choose a last name related to that.

Or if not I found the randomize button will give you some good lore related choices as well. Smile

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Nykkus Trachspyr - 02-24-2014

(02-24-2014, 10:53 AM)Heroshi Wrote: Ah, I was looking for a thread on naming styles for each race
Ask and ye shall receive. 

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/63112-Hyur-Naming-Conventions

William Minchew it is then. Both have meanings behind protection and considering I typically main a tank class, fitting.

Thank you everyone!

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Heroshi - 02-25-2014

New questions!

Alright, so, from a lore standpoint.. I'd prefer this character to be lawful good/lawful neutral if the case permits aaannnd, I do not know much about the game world in general but I guess I'll ask another way...

Which City-State is more fitting for a Paladin? I'm outright assuming Ul-dah for obvious reasons but I'd still like to know if otherwise. (Paladins in the general, stereotypical sense, not the whole Sultansworn gig) By this I mean, the whole peaceful area type of thing.

Aaanndd this is just a general question about the games atmosphere in general, Gridania is considered the prime Hyur city, yes? Maybe this would sway me to start in said area then upon 10/15 travel to unlock gladiator considering I'd rather play as that asap!

Lastly, this one probably doesn't matter much in the end considering I can change it / by the time I get to said level I think I'll have decided on doing it for lore or for the rewards. Sum up the grand companies goals for me I suppose? Do any of the have the goal/some prime goal of just uniting everyone?

Thanks all, again!

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Sounsyy - 02-25-2014

(02-25-2014, 12:02 AM)Heroshi Wrote: Which City-State is more fitting for a Paladin? I'm outright assuming Ul-dah for obvious reasons but I'd still like to know if otherwise. (Paladins in the general, stereotypical sense, not the whole Sultansworn gig) By this I mean, the whole peaceful area type of thing.

Can play a Free Paladin anywhere really. Obviously if you're going Sultansworn type of Paladin you're pretty much limited to Ul'dah. You'll find a lot of Paladins there. But Free Paladins do not swear allegiance to the Sultana and are free to roam wherever. So you can have your character in any of the cities. 

As for cities fitting with the whole honor and peace and protector archetype of stereotypical paladins, you won't really find it in Eorzea. While other Fantasy settings have one or more cities in which everything is grand and there's established laws and ethics and such, you'll find in Eorzea that it's a very savage land and that each of the city-states has a great many problems. As a Lawful Good you'll find yourself quite busy.

(02-25-2014, 12:02 AM)Heroshi Wrote: Aaanndd this is just a general question about the games atmosphere in general, Gridania is considered the prime Hyur city, yes? Maybe this would sway me to start in said area then upon 10/15 travel to unlock gladiator considering I'd rather play as that asap!

Well, part of the lore of the Hyur is that they migrated to Eorzea about 1000 years ago and in great numbers. So they're found commonly in every city-state. There's no Hyur specific city, so to speak. Unless you're counting Ala Mhigo, which is predominantly made up of Highlander Hyur. But Ala Mhigo was wiped out 20 years ago by the Garlean Empire. Can definitely have your character from there? But for the three main city-states, racial distribution pretty much comes out like this:

Grid: Wildwood & Duskwight Elezen, Midlander Hyur with some Highlander Hyur, and Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te.

Ul'dah: Dunesfolk Lalafell, Highlander & Midlander Hyur, Hellsguard Roegadyn, and some Seeker of the Sun Miqo'te.

Limsa: Sea Wolf Roegadyn, Seeker of the Sun Miqo'te, Plainsfolk Lalafell, Midlander Hyur.

(02-25-2014, 12:02 AM)Heroshi Wrote: Sum up the grand companies goals for me I suppose? Do any of the have the goal/some prime goal of just uniting everyone?

Kinda answered this on your other thread, but I'll give an answer here. The original formation of the Grand Companies symbolized the union between the warring city-states during their time of need. Now, separately, each of these Grand Companies only function to serve the needs of their respective city-state. They are most definitely all allies and sometimes extend a helping hand to the neighboring nation, but ultimately, each GC only serves to further their own agenda.

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - Steel Wolf - 02-26-2014

The closest to a "peaceful area" that would typify the vibe I think you're reaching for would be Gridania--they very much are about balance and keeping to the natural order of things, what with them making sure the Twelveswood isn't encroached upon or ruined to any great degree.

They are also slow to provocation, and tend to come off as more introspective.  Not to assume that they're pacifist--if they're threatened, they will take up arms and attack.  They just tend to prefer plowshares to swords.

Also, Sounsyy pretty much summed it up--the Hyur are numerous, widespread and really don't have any centralized identity or location save for the now-ruined Ala Mihgo.  Actually, the racial makeup of Eorzea is pretty much all over the map, so you don't have to feel like one race is beholden to one city-state.  There are Lalafellian pirates in Limsa Lominsa, after all.

In short, this ain't Azeroth as far as the racial spread goes.

RE: New to all this, suggestions and guidance needed. - xelliexell - 02-26-2014

William is a great name for a Midland Hyur, I agree! 

Although I also think that naming him Hero would have been interesting (as a  shortened version of your usual moniker.) Just because it implies so much about the ideals of his parents, and the expectations that would inevitably surround him growing up. It would be a choice of just trying to live up to one's birth-given name, or perhaps embracing it and sliding readily into such a role. 

Blah blah blah backstory for a character randomly blah blah.  

I think I think too much.