Hydaelyn Role-Players
Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions (/showthread.php?tid=6480)

Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions - Chaska - 02-25-2014

For a Keeper of the Moon where would they have been born if their age ranged from the early to late 20s?  I've been stuck on picking a birthplace for my character in the world.

Would it be out there for a Miqo'te to desire to be an Arcanist? I'd like to think she hasn't entered the guild quite yet, but she does aspire to after realizing that archery just isn't something she's interested in. Instead she'd like to pursue knowledge for the sake of building up her own little personal library. Or maybe a big library. Carbuncles are also very cute and she likes cute things. Lalas included.

Of course she would have a very hard time getting the hang of merely shaping aether to produce moderately effective spells so she would put a lot of her work into practicing on monsters. Which includes various backfires of attempts at molding aether. Explosive backfires maybe? Far from her little goal of summoning a Carbuncle.

Some very long time away perhaps she could become a Scholar but that is a looooong time away.

RE: Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions - Ildur - 02-25-2014

Eorzea's a pretty diverse continent, so you can have your character be born anywhere. While some races and clans are more likely to be found in certain places, they don't have distinct nations like they do in, for example, World of Warcraft.
With that said, it seems Keepers of the Moon are more numerous in the Black Shroud/Gridania and maybe La Noscea/Limsa Lominsa. Still, seeing how the city states are friendly to each other, it shouldn't be hard to come with reasons why your Keeper was born in Ul'dah or Thanalan.

I don't see why a Miqo'te couldn't want to be an arcanist. The arcanist guild-master is a Miqo'te (I think Sun-Seeker, but he appears exactly once), and the "second in command" is a Roegadyn. There's no lore forbidding races from being certain classes. So go wild with that!

RE: Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions - Asgarn - 02-25-2014

(02-25-2014, 11:07 AM)Ildur Wrote: Eorzea's a pretty diverse continent, so you can have your character be born anywhere. While some races and clans are more likely to be found in certain places, they don't have distinct nations like they do in, for example, World of Warcraft.
With that said, it seems Keepers of the Moon are more numerous in the Black Shroud/Gridania and maybe La Noscea/Limsa Lominsa. Still, seeing how the city states are friendly to each other, it shouldn't be hard to come with reasons why your Keeper was born in Ul'dah or Thanalan.

I don't see why a Miqo'te couldn't want to be an arcanist. The arcanist guild-master is a Miqo'te (I think Sun-Seeker, but he appears exactly once), and the "second in command" is a Roegadyn. There's no lore forbidding races from being certain classes. So go wild with that!

I cannot offer much help with the topic due to having limited Miqo'te knowledge, but I shall support Ildur with two words: Lalafell. Pugilists.

RE: Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions - Jeantremont - 02-25-2014

More "traditional" Keepers would live in the Black Shroud as poachers, in small clans of a couple families. That's far from every Keeper though!

Many Miqo'te, Keeper and Seeker, have completely (or at least partially?) thrown tradition aside and integrated themselves into "modern society." They can live anywhere. 

A good number of them live and work in Gridania, usually as Wood Wailers and other combat-focused professions. For whatever reason, Keepers are very rarely drawn to the merchant or Hearer lifestyles, at least judging by the NPCs.

If your character has an adventurer parent or two, it could make sense for you to have been born in just about any location you choose.

RE: Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions - Xha'li Moui - 02-25-2014

Keeper Arcanist/Conjurer here, and like was said the Arcanist GM is indeed a Miqo, and the member you'll end up working with a lot durring stories is also a Miqo so no, there is nothing wrong with having a Miqo want to be an Arcanist or even a Conjurer.

RE: Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions - Rinette - 02-25-2014

As everyone else has said there is no reason you can't be born anywhere you wish or be an arcanist. If you're going for a traditional keeper I would say it's safe to assume that they are mostly born in the Shroud. But that doesn't mean that she can't leave to explore other lands.

Another idea for casting spells is having to rely heavily on her grimoire for her spells. It's just an idea I've seen a few people mention when people want to play a struggling caster. It is by no means required that you do it.

I'm far from an expert on miqo'te lore but if you wish to talk about backgrounds feel free to PM me or find me in game.

RE: Miqo'te and Arcanist Questions - Chaska - 02-26-2014

Thanks guys! The timeline was throwing me off a bit but I'm glad to hear there's a lot of creative freedom and wiggle room for arcanists and birthplaces.