Hydaelyn Role-Players
Balling Up the Character Sheet - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Balling Up the Character Sheet (/showthread.php?tid=6495)

Pages: 1 2 3

Balling Up the Character Sheet - Steel Wolf - 02-26-2014

I'm not happy.

There are myriad reasons, but for the sake of this forum and its obvious focused interest, I'll keep it to the game only.  Recently, I've been not thrilled with many things in XIV....its dungeon-only content, its Paladin tanking, its continued roll-up of endgame patches.  But most of all, I dislike my character.  These feelings all compound into a point where logging in actually causes me a sense of exhaustion...but at the same time, I've gone so FAR with Steel.  She's my launch character, yo.

Have any of you felt that way?  Have you looked at your character, after level 50 and a whole DISGUSTING slew of WP runs and incomplete iL90 AF2 kit and thought "Yea, you aren't what I was hoping.  I want to tie you to a post and blow you the hell away."

What do you do?

What do I do?

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Seriphyn - 02-26-2014

Pick up WAR, PLD is superboring to tank as. SWISH SWOSH SWISH SWOSH SWOOOOOOSH over and over. My original class is PLD (ilvl85) and then I picked up WAR (ilvl84), and now I have so much more fun! Then I picked up DRG, and THAT is certainly a fun DPS to play.

Also we have more than WP now! Haukke HM is great as a WAR. But seriously, ditch PLD. It's easily the dullest class in the game, even if it's a stable tank (I still use PLD to keep it easy on certain healers I know). You'll make a good WAR because you already know the content I'm guessing, so! In many ways, PLD is the 'easy mode' tank. A good tank will be a great WAR. A bad tank will still make a good PLD, in comparison.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Asgarn - 02-26-2014

Hey there, Steel.

Allow me to start off by saying I completely understand where you are coming from. About a month ago, there was a period where I would log in, give Asgarn one look and think to myself "Not today, buddy.", followed by a swift log out and firing up a different game or (God forbid) doing something constructive with my time. At this point, my RoeRoe was in a half-complete set of AF2, could not for the life of me get a group capable of defeating Titan Extreme and was just generally in a bit of a rut. So, in short, I understand.

Given how much time I had put in to Asgarn, I decided I could not simply give up on him. So, I did the following things:

- I pushed myself, against better instinct, to continue with progressing him. It was torture, but the only way to get out of a rut is to press on.

- I re-opened Star Wars: The Old Republic for the first time in a years and a half. Splitting my time between two games made Asgarn seem like less of a commitment/chore.

- I made my Elezen crafter/Bard: Aumeric. Again, more characters to split time between made the feeling of "Ugh... Not you again" go away.

Now, Asgarn has a full set of AF2 (White Mage), has my love once more and still cannot find a group freaking capable of downing Titan Extreme! :V But that is not his, or my, fault. One day, ONE DAY TITAN SHALL FALL.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Steel Wolf - 02-26-2014

I've been playing several different games--most notably, Landmark, though I have been facing a creative rut there as well.

I dunno, I think my muse f***ed off and decided to leave me twisting in the bloody wind.

I should mention that I have the basic sub model because I'm a cheap bastard and would only use one character anyway I have bills to pay and stuff, so I've rather pushed myself into a bit of a corner, both mentally and mechanically right now.

Ugh. >.<

The idea of WAR tanking appeals, but the idea of tanking in this game doesn't.  My experience with Steel has been that tanking in this game is horribly unkind, not to mention boring as piss--which is, as Seriphyn stated, is more a failing of the PLD class than anything else.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - McBeefâ„¢ - 02-26-2014

I guess I'm in the minority in that I have lot's of fun tanking as a Paladin. Lot's of the early stuff is boring, but as stuff get's more complicated it's fun. Titan Ex and T4 are a blast to do in particular. Warriors might be more fun (I don't have a 50 WAR so I can't compare), but I think Paladin tanking is pretty rad as well.

As for your character Steel, I'm sorry to hear that. I thought your character was pretty cool when I met her. If you ever need help with dungeons or RP stuff to keep you in the game, let me know, I'd be happy to help. If you do decided to stop though, I look forward to meeting the next character that you make.

Good luck!

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - TheLastCandle - 02-26-2014

Honestly, as someone who tanked as a WAR for the majority of my tanking career and is just now gearing up a PLD, I find that I actually prefer to play PLD. It all comes down to personal styles, so giving WAR a try might benefit you. I can tell you that it's tremendously satisfying to be this large, axe-wielding mass of metal and flesh screaming, "Shield? I need no shield! HWAAAAAARGHLBRGHL (Schwarzenegger yell)" as you charge the enemy. If that sounds appealing, then I say go for it.

Beyond that, it's good to mix it up a little. Tanking encounter after encounter can be quite draining. I see on your lodestone that you've leveled Lancer a bit. It gets particularly fun after you unlock the Dragoon abilities, and I personally find that having an off-class helps to keep things fresh.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Roen - 02-26-2014

I got an impression from your introduction that you also enjoy roleplay.

If the endgame has burned you out, why not change your focus into storytelling? Endless runs of WP, CT, AK, and whatever else to gear up and raise that iLevel kills my brain cells.  I enjoy PvE, don't get me wrong, but it is roleplay that makes me want to sign on.

IC dungeons, ongoing story arcs, they could wake your muse?  Get the creative juices flowing?  It would be taking a break from certain parts of the game.

Unless PVE is what you enjoy the most.  Then I would agree with other people's recommendation in maybe leveling up a DPS class.  It sounds like you need a change in focus, and at least this game allows you to level up a different class on the same character.

I hope you find your fun again.  Smile

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Noeh - 02-26-2014

I find paladin tanking pretty fun as well..(even though the game hates me AND GAVE ME IFRIT'S AXE. THANKS BLIZZ.)
Anyway I was sort of in the same boat. I got all the way up to 50 as a whm. half geared her up and just..stopped playing the Whm. Now I swapped her over to a tank and I've been having a bit more fun playing again. Though most of the time if I get horribly bored of leveling I just RP until I feel like doing so again. Usually seeing people in fancy and cool gear gets me into a leveling mood if not to just have better RP gear.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Steel Wolf - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 02:50 PM)Brynn Wrote: IC dungeons, ongoing story arcs, they could wake your muse?  Get the creative juices flowing?  It would be taking a break from certain parts of the game.

*snip*

I hope you find your fun again.  Smile

IC dungeons sound like they would be HUGE fun, actually....but that seems counter-productive to how the dungeons operate in the lore as a one-off encounter.

Or perhaps I just overthink that stuff. XD

A switch of class/job sounds like it would be a very good idea...also, moar RP's, since being ONLY just about the PvE has absolutely burned me to smithereens really.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Roen - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 03:45 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: IC dungeons sound like they would be HUGE fun, actually....but that seems counter-productive to how the dungeons operate in the lore as a one-off encounter.

Or perhaps I just overthink that stuff.  XD

A switch of class/job sounds like it would be a very good idea...also, moar RP's, since being ONLY just about the PvE has absolutely burned me to smithereens really.
You ARE over-thinking it!  Stop it!  *thwap!*

When I've gone into IC dungeons, it was very much as other's mentioned in the RP/Duty thread.  RP before, clear through trash, dialogue (efficient while fighting) and at bosses, and definitely after (CURSE YOU 7 minute time limit after last boss is dead).  

And you can make the premise about that dungeon into something that fits your storyline.  Just change the motivation of why your character is going there.  

Another idea is to bring the switch in class/job part of Steel Wolf's story.  Maybe it represents a significant point in her life of a new path? Revelation?  Growth? 

I am just throwing some ideas at you.

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Kage - 02-26-2014

Not going to lie, but when I read this I was a little sad because the few moments with you in-game OOC (or just a wave!) were fun.

I don't want to pressure you into staying, but see if the methods above may work for you. Maybe a different class/job will work and you might like tanking once more, even as a WAR. Maybe run even the lower level dungeon content IC disregarding all the lore surrounding it and make it up before and during the dungeons as both Brynn and the RP/Duty thread mentioned.

Hell you could kinda make WP fun by doing it with end-game RPers and go "OK BLM if you're gonna go crazy like that I hope you don't die!" /shot (they told me to flare them!!!!) (my lalafell blm would happily die for steel like this if wanted XD)

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - xelliexell - 02-26-2014

IC dungeons can be very fun with the right group. If people take their time and stop to RP throughout, it's especially fun (just make sure everyone's on board with it.)

Depending on the dungeon, it's not too far away from the lore of things to revisit them. Here are the three I know about, and their contexts, in case examples would help:

My character partnered with another character to offer a "Haunted Tour" of Haukke Manor. We meant to run this as a series, but OoC stuff got in the way. Anyway, officially speaking, the manor was quarantined off by the Twin Adders, but then my character broke in anyway and the group followed to fetch her, and found themselves locked in. As they searched the mansion for a way out, they ruefully discovered that aggressive spirits still lingered there. Ruh-roh, Raggy!

Then I went into Tam-Tara with another group, because someone in the group wanted to ICly overcome her fears. They explored it as normal and encountered the same cult still occupying its depths, and character development ensued. Those wacky cultists are like cockroaches, I tell you! 8D

I didn't go on the third one, but I heard about it. Another of my FC mates ran the premise -- that they went into the Copper bell Mines to rescue his treasure-hunting lady friend NPC. And, of course, the giants were still there, so she did need saving.

Funnily enough, these ideas were out and about before Haukke and Copperbell HM, even though they share the same basic premise. 

TL;DR - With the right group, a flexible concept or reason for entering the dungeon is fine.

For a really agreeable RP-centric group, I find it's best to just not care about the timer and OoC speedrun back to the point you left off at if it happens to run out and kick you. But I think the suggestion above could also work, depending on your preference. ^^

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Erik Mynhier - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 04:07 PM)Brynn Wrote:
(02-26-2014, 03:45 PM)Steel Wolf Wrote: IC dungeons sound like they would be HUGE fun, actually....but that seems counter-productive to how the dungeons operate in the lore as a one-off encounter.

Or perhaps I just overthink that stuff.  XD

You ARE over-thinking it!  Stop it!  *thwap!*

When I've gone into IC dungeons, it was very much as other's mentioned in the RP/Duty thread.  RP before, clear through trash, dialogue (efficient while fighting) and at bosses, and definitely after (CURSE YOU 7 minute time limit after last boss is dead).  

And you can make the premise about that dungeon into something that fits your storyline.  Just change the motivation of why your character is going there.  

Another idea is to bring the switch in class/job part of Steel Wolf's story.  Maybe it represents a significant point in her life of a new path? Revelation?  Growth? 

I am just throwing some ideas at you.

To add to what Brynn said, you could also go on some IC treasure hunts. Lots of walking, talking IC all the way, no real time limit. They are fun, and as someone who sold one every day I can say the prices have dropped. Frustrated

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Nykkus Trachspyr - 02-26-2014

(02-26-2014, 04:21 PM)xelliexell Wrote: *snip*

All of this, and the previous suggestions as well. The point of RP is to come up with storylines. To truly LIVE in the world of Eorzea. BE your character. Make up the reasons and allow yourself the chance to enjoy them. 

Also switching to another class, be it WAR, DPS, or heals, can completely change the way a game feels. Especially if you do it for IC reasons, and let it progress naturally - or even if you have someone helping to train you in that class through RP events.

On a personal note I've always enjoyed your posts and was excited to hear you'd transferred over. Everytime I'm wandering about a major city I keep an eye out for you. Not enough Roe around. As a bit of shameless self promotion, Xellie and I belong to an FC that meshes very easily with outside RP, and we always welcome more. If you're ever in need of people to hang out with, give the USH a shout. Hell just last night we had a little sparring tourny that anyone was welcome to come to. It was fun - and the combat was quite creative. 

Hit us up! That goes for anyone!

RE: Balling Up the Character Sheet - Seriphyn - 02-26-2014

Psch, you lot and your endless Rage of Halone combos Tongue