Hydaelyn Role-Players
Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? (/showthread.php?tid=6518)

Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Aria Benett - 02-28-2014

Don't get me wrong - I like to RP and all; my first week of the game has been going pretty well, but I think that when it comes to the RP, I tend to shy away pretty quickly. I just think that when you have giant groups of RPers in one place, people like me just tend to slip out the back. I don't really feel like I have any niche to fill.

Is that weird? Personally, I just prefer smaller groups for RP, and then one-to-one RPs. At least then you feel like you're connecting with someone. It doesn't help that huge groups make it almost impossible to follow conversations.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Saefinn - 02-28-2014

Nope, I wouldn't say it's weird at all. It's why when I set up my FC I didn't really want a large active membership because I wanted to create a smaller tight nit group. It does make things more challenging when members leave or go on hiatus because it's a lot more noticeable when you take a dip in membership, but I find it's better. You get to know the people you're RPing with better and of course you find it easier to work with each other's dynamics.

Also, sometimes in a big group it's easy to lose track with what's going on. Though, I enjoy going to big events, but I don't like to make it a frequent thing.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Kage - 02-28-2014

I know exactly how you feel. It makes me uneasy to follow so much at once that I usually woukd prefer 1 on 1 unless someone I know is accompanying me.  Fortunately or unfortunately my forays into RP were made with more than one person at a time so my character(and myself) have started to make friends. 

Which is all very hectic for me

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Hunfrid - 02-28-2014

I prefer smaller RP groups for the same reasons.
After 3, it starts to get crowded, and I tend to focus on the one or two my character is with. Others posts I power read through while I wait for responses.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Whittledown - 02-28-2014

I totally understand. I operate best in one on one or small group situations where it is easier to follow the flow and you're not half-way through a post and then someone else says/does something that makes you have to go back and re-do the whole thing.

If I am in a large group I self-filter out the posts and poses of anyone who is not directly around my character to try and focus in on things that she would be more likely to really see or hear.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Erik Mynhier - 02-28-2014

(02-28-2014, 06:24 PM)Lashalia Bhen Wrote: Don't get me wrong - I like to RP and all; my first week of the game has been going pretty well, but I think that when it comes to the RP, I tend to shy away pretty quickly. I just think that when you have giant groups of RPers in one place, people like me just tend to slip out the back. I don't really feel like I have any niche to fill.

Is that weird? Personally, I just prefer smaller groups for RP, and then one-to-one RPs. At least then you feel like you're connecting with someone. It doesn't help that huge groups make it almost impossible to follow conversations.

I don't think its weird. I have both a FC that is to be a static rp group of about 5 or 6 total, and a LS that is quality but small also. If you want I could add you to one or both.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Ragnar - 02-28-2014

It's not weird, I also prefer smaller groups. In larger groups it is often hard to follow the flow of things or even just to keep up while also responding.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - C'kayah Polaali - 02-28-2014

Yeah, same here. I don't do well in large groups, because I start to lose track of the stuff going on around me. I much prefer small group RP.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Clover - 02-28-2014

I think small groups are always the best for quality RP, or for RP where you can get too involved.

However, I find big events fun as well. I don't seek anything important for my character in them; rather, I tend to stay silent and watch, and I enjoy seeing what everyone is doing.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - FreelanceWizard - 02-28-2014

I like both large and small RP gatherings (though huge ones I'm not terribly enthusiastic about due to chat scroll, if nothing else). One of the things I like about large RP groups and gatherings is the opportunity to meet and RP with a lot of different people and see how they affect your character (and vice-versa). That said, it's not strange to have a preference for one or the other, of course. Smile

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Crisiet - 03-02-2014

I prefer smaller and more constant groups. I've always felt that more meaningful character development gets done when you have some solid people your character can bounce off of.

So no, I don't find it weird at all! Some people love large group RP and some don't. We all have our reasons for our preferences, too.

RE: Is it weird that I don't like huge groups? - Zveld - 03-04-2014

I'm looking to start a casual RP FC, if anyone is interested. 

Please PM me.