Hydaelyn Role-Players
Which server? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Which server? (/showthread.php?tid=6545)

Which server? - Dagrik - 03-03-2014

Hi all-

Just started to play, and looking for a good RP community.  I have already gathered its Balmung or Gilgamesh, however, I do see that Balmung is a legacy server, and the option to transfer out of legacy servers is coming up.  With that all being said, what does everyone think?

Additionally, from what I have seen on the low-level end of things, my blue giant race doesn't seem to be played much at all.  Does this ring true from everyone's experience as well?

RE: Which server? - Steel Wolf - 03-03-2014

Speaking as a femRoe unicorn/unique snowflake, I can absolutely confirm that the Greatest Eorzean Race of All Time is a bit under-represented.  XD  All said, though, that would very likely draw more attention to your character for RP times, which could work very nicely to your benefit.

As for server choice, having played in both I can say that the Balmung community is more proliferous, but the Gilgamesh community is very closely-knit and always welcoming of more people.  In fact, I daresay they're excited at the idea of having new people into the fold.

Either choice, genuinely, is a great one.  Everyone here in the RPC are some of the most supportive and excited folks I've had the pleasure to play with.

RE: Which server? - Faye - 03-03-2014

Steel Wolf explained the two servers very well. I would highly recommend Balmung, as it's very active and I don't think many role-players will be leaving when the server transfers become available. However, even though the community on Gilgamesh is smaller, there are some good people and great role-players there. You can't go wrong either way. Smile

RE: Which server? - Erik Mynhier - 03-03-2014

Balmung without question.

RE: Which server? - Clover - 03-03-2014

I'm not a legacy player and I play in Balmung. I certainly don't regret it, though I have no idea of how things are in Gilgamesh.

Perhaps a good idea would be for you to look around in the forum/wiki and check if there's any character that catches your attention. The server which has more characters you might be interested in could win ^^?

RE: Which server? - Edgar - 03-03-2014

Personally, I like Balmung more than Gilgamesh, but when you consider that the RPC community is great as a whole, I don't think you would be missing anything by joining Gilgamesh.

RE: Which server? - ArmachiA - 03-03-2014

Balmung represent yo.

Lots of random pick up RP, lots of events, and lots and lots of roleplayers.

The only thing that bugs me is how most of the RP is in Ul'dah. *sigh*

RE: Which server? - Ridegmuve - 03-03-2014

Gilgamesh yo!

I haven't played on Balmung personally, so I can't say much there.
People already said that Gilgamesh is smaller, but we are always welcoming of new people all the time everywhere, there is also a lot of fun events going on as well and we are very approachable as a group and ready to help!

But as people said, checking out wikis and stuff of both server's players and the linkshells would be a good place to start which server you want to pick at the end!

RE: Which server? - Koninbeor - 03-04-2014

(03-03-2014, 03:18 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Balmung represent yo.

Lots of random pick up RP, lots of events, and lots and lots of roleplayers.

The only thing that bugs me is how most of the RP is in Ul'dah. *sigh*

Most of the RP is in the coolest of the three cities. How is that bad?

Also, I would obviously vote for Balmung as that is the server I play on. As others have said, Gilgamesh is also a great server with merits all of its own. Either place should provide an enjoyable home. Thumbsup

RE: Which server? - ArmachiA - 03-04-2014

Blasphemy. The coolest city is Limsa.

RE: Which server? - FreelanceWizard - 03-04-2014

(03-04-2014, 06:01 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Blasphemy. The coolest city is Limsa.

Damn right. Smile Pirates, battling gangs of privateers, the Bismarck, Merlwyb, the Astalicia... what's not to love? Smile

EDIT: *cough* On topic, though, if you're on the fence, I have two recommendations. One, as others have said, make a character on both servers and see which community you like better. Both are great, so the question is which one fits you better. Two, take a look at the linkshells/free companies and character profiles for both servers and see if any really "pop" for you. Is there someone you really want to RP with? Is there an LS/FC that really meshes with your character concept? If so, you may have just found your server. With transfers between Balmung and Gilgamesh opening soon, the decision is also, as you noted, not especially final.

RE: Which server? - T'shina - 03-04-2014

I haven't played on Balmung but I am from Gilgamesh. The community is as everyone has said, very welcoming to new people and so many are willing to help guide where people have questions! There are several OOC linkshells that you can be in so that you are able to stay connected with the community as well as many linkshells that are IC and Free Companies that work together! There are events going on all the time and the group events are actually easy to get into and meet someone interesting, even for those shy players!

You'll see all kinds of RP on Gilgamesh as well from pirates to merchants, to academics and adventurers! So there is always a variety. I am very fond of the server and the things that you can see!

As for Roe's there are a few who I can recognize in our community (thought most are male and one female) but there are many of us who would definitely be happy to see more around! They are far too under represented! If you have any questions about places or even Free Companies and/or linkshells go ahead and give me a tell or a PM and I'll try and get as much information as I can for you!

RE: Which server? - 4wheel - 03-04-2014

I'd say roll a character on both, spend a few levels on them and make friends!

I'm a FemRoe on Gilga, but I recently put a FemEle alt on Balmung to pester people on there. XD  I'm always happy to see more Roegadyn joining the RP band! Please just go where you have the most fun, I assure you either choice will be a good one!  We're always looking for more pals on Gilga, with us always looking to plan new events to try out and generally have a fun time!

RE: Which server? - Dagrik - 03-04-2014

Thank you all for the responses.  I made a character on Balmung.  Name is Dagrik Heimdall, a roe.  Deciding on monk or pally, but having fun already.  Thank you all.

RE: Which server? - Koninbeor - 03-05-2014

(03-04-2014, 06:01 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: Blasphemy. The coolest city is Limsa.

Ul'dah is in the desert. About any city is cooler by default. Tongue

Ul'dah is still more chalk full of win and fun, though. Cool