Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hunting parties? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Hunting parties? (/showthread.php?tid=6583)

Hunting parties? - Knight Kat - 03-07-2014

The other day, I noticed something strange when I was in party with a friend, and I was killing Aldgoats for skins. Some of my kills made it so my party member got skins instead of me. He wasn't even doing anything either. It seems the loot distribution is on a roll system that doesn't account for contribution.

This seemed bad at first, but it got me thinking. What if a full party went to a place and continued to wipe out a group of baddies for their drops? If the distribution is random then perhaps the mass quantities of enemies that can be killed quickly by a party could make up for the random distribution, and make it so everyone got a good amount of the drops they wanted in a timely manner.

Has anyone ever tried this? If so, how did it go?

If no one has tried this, does anyone think it would be a viable option?

RE: Hunting parties? - synaesthetic - 03-09-2014

It would be a viable option if the drops were actually worth anything. Or rather, if anything in this game was actually worth anything.

RE: Hunting parties? - Aleister - 03-09-2014

This would only work out if it was a Free Company farming items needed for CUL whether for money or to make food for the FC raiders. The animals for CUL are the only thing worth farming like that for those reasons.

RE: Hunting parties? - Steel Wolf - 03-09-2014

It's not a bad idea, considering that one critter can drop multiple mats....though I don't think the time saved would be completely worth it compared to doing it alone, since those multiples would be spread randomly across the party and drop at random intervals besides instead of one person reaping all the benefits of a high RNG roll.

RE: Hunting parties? - Melodia - 03-09-2014

I have had a good experience with this method for caraculs (the black sheep) in Coerthas for obtaining fleece and skins. These mats are really valuable for crafting higher level items and using/selling. If you have a steady flow of mats and mid range gear being sold you can generate a decent flow of income. But that's just my experience.

RE: Hunting parties? - Knight Kat - 03-09-2014

(03-09-2014, 09:17 AM)Rurutani Wrote: These mats are really valuable for crafting higher level items and using/selling. If you have a steady flow of mats and mid range gear being sold you can generate a decent flow of income. But that's just my experience.

This is sort of my experience with gathering and crafting as well. I gather mats, I craft stuff, I see what's making money on the market, I sell it. That's how I've made most of my money so far.

If the stuff in this game is not worth anything, then how does everyone else make their money? Leve quests? FATE grinding? I am not doubting anyone's words, I am just curious because I certainly see value in the materials I need for crafting. And, most of my crafted items sell for a lot more than the cost of the materials that I can't or won't gather.

Also, I am only a leather-worker so far. Not even a level 50 one.

RE: Hunting parties? - Aleister - 03-10-2014

(03-09-2014, 10:23 PM)Knight Kat Wrote:
(03-09-2014, 09:17 AM)Rurutani Wrote: These mats are really valuable for crafting higher level items and using/selling. If you have a steady flow of mats and mid range gear being sold you can generate a decent flow of income. But that's just my experience.

This is sort of my experience with gathering and crafting as well. I gather mats, I craft stuff, I see what's making money on the market, I sell it. That's how I've made most of my money so far.

If the stuff in this game is not worth anything, then how does everyone else make their money? Leve quests?  FATE grinding? I am not doubting anyone's words, I am just curious because I certainly see value in the materials I need for crafting. And, most of my crafted items sell for a lot more than the cost of the materials that I can't or won't gather.

Also, I am only a leather-worker so far. Not even a level 50 one.
crystals and either food or mats that make food used for end game raiding alongside housing items. Only method I see that keeps a decent pace while everything else is slow at selling. Be careful with crystals though SQUEE is still looking there to catch RMT soo, small chance you could run into a GM depending on how large and quick you sell crystals/shards

RE: Hunting parties? - Ildur - 03-10-2014

I have no idea how anyone can make money in this game at a decent pace at endgame. During levelling I can figure people selling/buying the stuff one needs to level up (specially crafting classes), but after that? I have no idea.

Whatever it is, though, it probably doesn't fall into my definition of fun. Otherwise I would have found out already.

RE: Hunting parties? - Aleister - 03-10-2014

Oh! Last I recall Yoshi said in one of his videos that he would like to shift the economy so that it somewhat surrounds housing along side 3 months of booming economy and 3 months of a recession. :S Helps give you an idea on what items and crafting materials will be blooming for a few months and a reason why if they drop all of a sudden in profit.

RE: Hunting parties? - Naunet - 03-11-2014

(03-10-2014, 09:50 PM)Aleister Wrote: Oh! Last I recall Yoshi said in one of his videos that he would like to shift the economy so that it somewhat surrounds housing along side 3 months of booming economy and 3 months of a recession. :S Helps give you an idea on what items and crafting materials will be blooming for a few months and a reason why if they drop all of a sudden in profit.

The heck is that recession crap? First their explanation for dyes and now a "realistic" economy... man, I play a video game for a reason - to not be bothered by real life annoyances.

RE: Hunting parties? - Ildur - 03-11-2014

Makes their "Escape reality, live the fantasy" slogan pretty stupid, doesn't it?

RE: Hunting parties? - Steel Wolf - 03-12-2014

Can we get a link to that idiocy, please?  I just...I am boggled.

Damn, why am I even freakin' trying to level a crafting class anymore?  >.<

RE: Hunting parties? - Melodia - 03-12-2014

[Image: Funny-Demotivational-Posters.-Part-50_6.jpg]

RE: Hunting parties? - Aleister - 03-15-2014

(03-12-2014, 09:56 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: Can we get a link to that idiocy, please?  I just...I am boggled.

Damn, why am I even freakin' trying to level a crafting class anymore?  >.<
Can't find the source I found it on but I'll keep looking.