Hydaelyn Role-Players
Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? (/showthread.php?tid=6737)

Pages: 1 2

Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Dietrich Dracht - 03-24-2014

For roleplaying purposes (a possible side-business for Dietrich) I'd like to know more about recreational drugs that are used in Eorzea. 

A particular herb whose name escapes me is mentioned in the Ul'dah opening cinematic, but I don't know much else about it. Is more information available about it elsewhere? Or anything else that's hard-canon or soft-canon? 

I'm also curious about content that might have been created by players in this area. Especially if it may also be traded with in-game herbs and the like. If there's nothing I might create something myself! 

Thanks already for y'alls help and input!

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 03-24-2014

There are a few recreational drugs mentioned in game. I cant remember off hand tho..

Milkroot comes immediately to mind. Its used primarily by the sylphs but I dont see why the drugs effects wouldnt work on everyone. Milkroot is a potent opiate (based on its effects on sylphs) that has a pungent smell. So probably not the easiest drug to traffic.

In Limsa starter quest you collect a few "herbs" called Spice. Turns out the yellow jackets are having a go at you and that Carvallien just uses spice as a codename for whatever valuable hes carrying. But thats not to say you couldnt use Spice as an actual drug.

Sorry I cant remember any others off hand. Will try to look in game next time I get the chance. Hope this helps!

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Dogberry - 03-24-2014

Somnus is what you're referring to. It's basically considered something like heroin, but it's smoked through a pipe. It puts you to sleep, and an OD will put you in a permanent coma. That's the extent that I know of it.

Pluto gets a mention once, and it's basically a combat drug that makes your skin as hard as steel.

Many people mention moko grass as a recreational drug similar to cannabis, myself included, because it's comparison of hemp. Although it's described as hemp, and used to make hempen yarn, the icon for the item itself is not the "hemp" part of the plant, but very closely resembles the bud, which is the part of the plant people smoke.

Non-canon, but one I've talked about in-game before is Prisoner's Delight, which is a funguar mob in Totorak. It's a poisonous mushroom that according to canon has some parts that can be harvested and used for food, while others are downright poisonous. I figure there's probably parts that are less poisonous than others, and make for a psychadelic experience, which is why a prisoner would find them so delightful.

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Dietrich Dracht - 03-24-2014

Alright, this is some very useful information and I'll be sure to use it! By the way if others have additional information or product they use on their RP feel free to share as well! Also: any potential customers around? Wink

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - FreelanceWizard - 03-24-2014

On the topic of milkroot, its effects can be enhanced by an additive that can be collected in Larkscall (second Sylph daily quest set). I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, though. The enhanced version has both euphoric and hallucinogenic effects.

One that I've seen come up in RP but may not be canonical is morbol sprouts (aka morbol mushrooms), which are said to be hallucinogenic. I've also seen gysahl greens referenced as stimulants in RP, perhaps due to the way chocobos seem to go wild for them, but I'm pretty sure that's player-created lore (i.e., non-canon).

In terms of buyers, I know a few spellcasters who are interested in "mind-expanding" substances...

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Jana - 03-24-2014

Milkroot is said to not affect the player races, which is why the Sylphs always send you to gather/destroy/weaponise it. The item tooltips still say it sells for a lot on the black market though, so if you're looking into the contraband and smuggling side of things, milkroot is worth considering. The additive that enhances its potency is dreamtoad slime, whose legality isn't brought up about in the quest and FATE it comes up in.

There's also a cave tucked into the back of a refugee camp in central Thanalan where you can see someone growing a bunch of plants secretively. I'd assumed it was for producing somnus before but it could be moko grass too, which I hadn't heard of before. (Is that something from gathering?)

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Asgarn - 03-24-2014

Howdy!
He's not dead? He's not dead!! Huzzah!

Personally, I have had very little experience with recreational drugs in-game. However, there was one roleplaying session that I was snooping on which included a drug which I believe is non-canon, called "Shiva's Tear". Whilst this is not a canon recreational drug in Eorzea, for me it made the scene and I felt inclined to ask about it afterwards, so here goes! (A little profile, apologies if it's patchy, my memory is not the best.)

Name: Shiva's Tear
Street Codename(s): "Spring Water", "Hyuran Funny-Juice" (usually used by Goblin traders)
Ingestion: The drug takes a liquid form and, as such, is most commonly injected or added to food/drinks.
Manufacture: Now, this bit I cannot remember much about, names mainly. All I remember is that it is created by the distilling of some hallucinogenic shrub in pure spring water. Depending upon how long it is left to brew/distill and the purity of the spring water used, the stronger it is. Impure Shiva's Tears can be called "Primal Piss".

Effects: From what I saw, Shiva's Tear is a hallucinogenic. In it's purest forms, the liquid drug can invoke the most vivid of visions and, indeed, waking nightmares. The individual experience varies from person-to-person. When this was used in the scene I looked in on, it was brewed in to herbal tea and ingested by a "Prophet" to predict a prophecy. Presumably, some cultures have taken this drug to grant futuresight, etc. Though, when I asked the people who were roleplaying it's effects, it is most commonly used for relaxation.

Take the above as you will, but personally, I loved the scene that was acted out because of this psychedelic little hallucinogen. Moogle

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Hyakki - 03-24-2014

If the effects of somnus are comparable to heroin/opium it may be sourced from poppies, which are present throughout Eorzea.

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Ignacius - 03-24-2014

On the subject of legality, smuggling, and free trade, can we assume things that are illegal in one nation are legal in another?  Also, is there any mention of a sort of an extradition treaty?  I know a group of soldiers can technically operate anywhere in anothers' land (they're military allies), but do they have any actual heft in those areas?  Are we assumed, in-game, to have informed the local government that we're acting on behalf of another government in their lands?  Is it just on the "honor system"?  Or does one guard service's authority terminate at their immediate borders?

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Sounsyy - 03-24-2014

(03-24-2014, 11:42 AM)Ignacius Wrote: On the subject of legality, smuggling, and free trade, can we assume things that are illegal in one nation are legal in another?  Also, is there any mention of a sort of an extradition treaty?  I know a group of soldiers can technically operate anywhere in anothers' land (they're military allies), but do they have any actual heft in those areas?  Are we assumed, in-game, to have informed the local government that we're acting on behalf of another government in their lands?  Is it just on the "honor system"?  Or does one guard service's authority terminate at their immediate borders?

I know Ishgardian Holy Knights are allowed to operate within the borders of the Black Shroud. Gridania extradites fugitive heretics back into Ishgardian custody.

Limsa's navy maintains a presence in the seas surrounding aldenard and even abroad. This includes the coasts of foreign nations, like Ul'dah and Garlemald. So hard to say where their jurisdiction ends.

St. Coinach's Find has an Immortal Flames officer stationed there. Unknown if Ul'dah actually controls the area or not. I think the only nation you see that doesn't have a foreign presence in Eorzea would be Gridanians, who seem to be content staying within the Hedge.

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Siha - 03-24-2014

(03-24-2014, 11:28 AM)Jana Wrote: There's also a cave tucked into the back of a refugee camp in central Thanalan where you can see someone growing a bunch of plants secretively. I'd assumed it was for producing somnus before but it could be moko grass too, which I hadn't heard of before. (Is that something from gathering?)

That'd be the cave behind Lost Hope and the NPC says something that references the plants as Dream Blossoms. The only substance I could find that is close to that name are 'Spring of Dreamweed' but there isn't any info beyond it being a prohibited substance that's extremely hazardous to your health. I'm not sure it's a drug per say but it sounds like one.

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Naunet - 03-24-2014

(03-24-2014, 08:29 AM)Dogberry Wrote: Many people mention moko grass as a recreational drug similar to cannabis, myself included, because it's comparison of hemp. Although it's described as hemp, and used to make hempen yarn, the icon for the item itself is not the "hemp" part of the plant, but very closely resembles the bud, which is the part of the plant people smoke.

Hemp IRL typically refers to the Cannabis variety that isn't used as a drug (because it has very low THC content). I wouldn't be so sure about using moko grass as a drug for the same reason, unless there's some kind of lore confirmation.

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Dogberry - 03-24-2014

(03-24-2014, 12:54 PM)Naunet Wrote:
(03-24-2014, 08:29 AM)Dogberry Wrote: Many people mention moko grass as a recreational drug similar to cannabis, myself included, because it's comparison of hemp. Although it's described as hemp, and used to make hempen yarn, the icon for the item itself is not the "hemp" part of the plant, but very closely resembles the bud, which is the part of the plant people smoke.

Hemp IRL typically refers to the Cannabis variety that isn't used as a drug (because it has very low THC content). I wouldn't be so sure about using moko grass as a drug for the same reason, unless there's some kind of lore confirmation.

The hemp plant contains two parts. The flower and the leaf. The leaf is what gets used to make rope and textiles, the flower is the part that people smoke. The all grow on the same plant, and all hemp plants contain some level of THC. Like any given cultivated plant, there is a wide variety of variations within the species grown for whatever use the grower desires. If the grower wants to make textiles, they're not growing sour deisel. If the grower wants to make half a million in San Antonio, they're not going to grow an industrial strain. But it is the same species of plant, and if we've used unnatural selection to make a plant that can clothe us and make us giggle at Yo Gabba Gabba, why didn't Eorzea?

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - Roen - 03-24-2014

I personally think a little laxity and creativity is FINE when it comes to recreational drugs in Eorzea, as long as the source is found in game and seems reasonable (like moko grass).  Pharmaceutical companies, and just some creative people, have discovered how to turn seemingly innocent herbs/wildlife into something that has additional/addictive properties in our own history.

I'd be happy to use drugs mentioned in this thread IC. I think it's great! And if a criminal element want to spread around and sell some drugs, I'd be happy to play along. (I may have a customer for you as well!  Big Grin )

I've used somnus in RP has having heroin like properties. Dreamweed does pop up here and there as a toxic/dangerous and highly illegal substance as well.

RE: Recreatonal drugs in Eorzea? - JabberwockyAi - 03-24-2014

My RP partner is actually playing a thug who sells a lot of illegal drugs and this is the list they comprised of canon / non-canon drugs their character sells if it's any help.

The twins are also going into business to sell a legal, all natural herbal smoke for those a bit too dainty for tobacco but don't want the side effects of cannabis type drugs.