Hydaelyn Role-Players
Where do I go from here? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Player Directory (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Where do I go from here? (/showthread.php?tid=6747)

Where do I go from here? - YuraMira - 03-24-2014

Hi my name is Terri, and I am only a couple of weeks into RPing. If anyone sees me in game feel free to give me a msg, "I don't bite." 

I guess I want to introduce myself, but more then that, my RP has gone stale.
In the state of stale, I have an almost uncontrollable urge to make a new character with a new story.

First let me introduce my character.

Yura Mouiyah, a young Miqo'te woman, who recently left her Keeper tribe.
She left in search of her mother, who had been missing since she was only a year old.

She is half Seeker on her mothers side, and half Keeper on her fathers side. She grew up with her father and learned and still currently learning to be a Archanist.

Currently Yura has given up her search for her mother, and all she can really do is hang around the Quicksand and stuff.

So where do I go from here? I guess RL has currently stood in the way of doing proper RP.
I am a little confused as for what I should do with her now? I don't really follow the actual story line too much, so I cant really do anything there.

So what should I do?

RE: Where do I go from here? - Zhavi - 03-24-2014

Hiya there!

I can't help much in-game, but if your character happens to wander to Limsa Lominsa and you don't mind doing forum rp, I would totally be down to brainstorm up some shenanigans with your character to push her in a new direction! Big Grin

Though if you want to make a new character (same with forum rp) I could help brainstorm some stuff for that if you like streetside/lowborn criminalish rps.

In any case, when I have difficulty moving a character forward I look for character motivation (what does she want? Where does she want to go?), personal desire (what do you want to rp?), other players/characters (do I want to join someone else's rp? Is there a character I'm interested in that I could feasibly have my character interact with?), and environment (what is going on in the area I plan on rping in that I can use to my advantage to spur rp/plot development?). It also helps me sometimes to just talk to someone, as often thoughts will come to fruition while trying to explain my ideas to someone else.

Best of luck to you, whatever you choose to do!

RE: Where do I go from here? - YuraMira - 03-24-2014

I did talk to someone and I did feel a lot better, It kinda put me in a thinking mood. As for where to go, what to do, what my character wants, I am still thinking. I will write back the moment I brainstorm a new idea.

My character is from Limsa Lominsa though she spends most of her time in Ul'dah.

RE: Where do I go from here? - Erik Mynhier - 03-24-2014

I just saw you too. I had no idea you were new, you seem so natural.

RE: Where do I go from here? - YuraMira - 03-24-2014

(03-24-2014, 10:50 PM)Erik Mynhier Wrote: I just saw you too. I had no idea you were new, you seem so natural.
Most of the time I am just me. Even during rp

RE: Where do I go from here? - Magellan - 03-25-2014

I really don't know if this is the case in regards to your particular character, but if her sole driving motivating factor was the search for her mother, and then circumstances led to her no longer searching for her mother, than it is easy to see how she might have 'stalled out'.

Characters, just like real life people, need a variety of driving forces; of dreams and ambitions, of hopes and goals... or they might be a little too one dimensional.

Are they searching for love? For acceptance from others? Or do they detest others and only want to be left alone? Are they looking to be great at what they do? Or merely trying to get by with what they know. Are they ambitious, motivated, driven to excel at all costs?

Do they have any racial prejudices.... any food allergies? A fondness for animals? A hatred for animals?

The more questions you ask about your character, and the more they reply to, the more fleshed out and rounded they will feel. Instead of having just one story line, such as searching for a long lost relative, they will have several to keep their story going long after they've achieved some of their primary goals. The search for love, for fame, for peace... a dedication to one of the gods or goddesses perhaps... keep asking your character new questions every day, and see how they respond to you.

You may find, if you are like me, that there are some characters that SEEM to have a really great concept, but the moment you rp them they fall flat on their face. Something about them just feels 'off'. I've thrown away quite a number of my own characters after just one rp session with them Tongue

Some characters take a lot of coaxing to 'speak' to you... some never will speak to you... some won't stop talking the moment they open their mouths (the best kind, imo) whatever the case, remember that rp should be fun, and inspiring to the imagination, so don't be afraid to take chances with bold, new character types to try and get to where you want to be! Good luck!

RE: Where do I go from here? - YuraMira - 03-25-2014

(03-25-2014, 12:31 AM)Magellan Wrote: I really don't know if this is the case in regards to your particular character, but if her sole driving motivating factor was the search for her mother, and then circumstances led to her no longer searching for her mother, than it is easy to see how she might have 'stalled out'.

Characters, just like real life people, need a variety of driving forces; of dreams and ambitions, of hopes and goals... or they might be a little too one dimensional.

Are they searching for love? For acceptance from others? Or do they detest others and only want to be left alone? Are they looking to be great at what they do? Or merely trying to get by with what they know. Are they ambitious, motivated, driven to excel at all costs?

Do they have any racial prejudices.... any food allergies? A fondness for animals? A hatred for animals?

The more questions you ask about your character, and the more they reply to, the more fleshed out and rounded they will feel. Instead of having just one story line, such as searching for a long lost relative, they will have several to keep their story going long after they've achieved some of their primary goals. The search for love, for fame, for peace... a dedication to one of the gods or goddesses perhaps... keep asking your character new questions every day, and see how they respond to you.

You may find, if you are like me, that there are some characters that SEEM to have a really great concept, but the moment you rp them they fall flat on their face. Something about them just feels 'off'. I've thrown away quite a number of my own characters after just one rp session with them Tongue

Some characters take a lot of coaxing to 'speak' to you... some never will speak to you... some won't stop talking the moment they open their mouths (the best kind, imo) whatever the case, remember that rp should be fun, and inspiring to the imagination, so don't be afraid to take chances with bold, new character types to try and get to where you want to be! Good luck!

We I managed to get a rp job thing with some nice people, so I will see where it goes from there.

But thanks for all that information, it really does help.