Hydaelyn Role-Players
What kind of Warrior are you? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: What kind of Warrior are you? (/showthread.php?tid=6792)

What kind of Warrior are you? - Ragnar - 03-29-2014

How do you see warriors in RP? Are they just more aggressive fighters that favor offense over defense? Personally I play mine more along the lines of a berserker, dangerous to both friend and foe when fully enraged. No answer is wrong I'm just curious to see how everyone else sees them.
On that note, how do you think the citizens of Eorzea see them? In lore they are supposed to have faded into obscurity and few have been seen in many years.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - A'rytiss Edar - 03-29-2014

(03-29-2014, 10:11 PM)Ragnar Wrote: How do you see warriors in RP? Are they just more aggressive fighters that favor offense over defense? Personally I play mine more along the lines of a berserker, dangerous to both friend and foe when fully enraged. No answer is wrong I'm just curious to see how everyone else sees them.
On that note, how do you think the citizens of Eorzea see them? In lore they are supposed to have faded into obscurity and few have been seen in many years.

I came from a non-RP server originally, and I'd often crack jokes when I entered with a standard greeting - 

"Greetings. I will be your Warrior-tank today. Please do not mind if I froth at the mouth, as that is oft the best way to handle tanking. Now then, if everyone's ready? 
/yell BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!"

:3 It gets a few giggles here and there.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - Ildur - 03-30-2014

Lore is pretty stupid for most prestige classes (sorry, I meant "jobs"). According to it, all jobs are obscure and super rare. Except for the website's descriptions, that sometimes hint that they've been recently resurfacing.

I go for that, as it's the only way to not have the lore contradict the mechanics ("You can be a White Mage but you can't really be a White mage!" says the game.) Same thign for Warriors: there's been people teaching or learning their techniques for a while now. Not terribly long, but long enough for there to be plenty of characters around with them.

Assuming we are talking about proper Warriors and not just characters wielding axes, I think assuming the role of a berserk can be pretty close to the concept. There are some interesting situations you could come up for battle RP with them. Of course, there's nothing stopping your character from having more or less control than that.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - Xydane - 03-30-2014

Just like Ildur stated above, there's a really thin line on each of the class's lore. While I am not new to the concept of a berserker or a heavily armored juggernaut due to many years of RPing in WoW, my character is not along the lines of the lore defined "Warrior."

The way I see it, you can still be a "Warrior" without being based off of what FFXIV defines as a warrior: A knight without a lord or allegiance, an ex-soldier turned traveler, etc.

The definition of a "Warrior" defines: (esp. in former times) a brave or experienced soldier or fighter.

My character is just a guy with many swords and an axe. That's it really.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - Gar - 03-30-2014

The lore behind Warriors has actually been one of my favorites.

Most people will focus on the berserk and bloodlust aspect of the Warrior, but the storyline was actually one of control.

They fight like beasts, and harness a primalistic energy, but Warriors were supposed to strive for control of their inner beast. Losing control meant that you had to be taken care of.

Because Warriors have been pretty scarce and just coming back into the scene again, I don't think much of the citizenry understands that Warriors aren't really supposed to turn and attack them. Even in the quest, some of the citizens that are being saved are like "F*** this, I'm outta here."

So to me Warriors are a very interesting story of self mastery and control. Pushing base desires and emotions to the edge before they become harmful.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - Tiergan - 03-30-2014

^ What Garryson said.

I always saw Warriors as being the class that is using their rage/inner beast to fuel their power, but it was whether or not they had control/mastery over that rage that spelled the difference between a Warrior-in-Training and a Warrior that had mastered himself.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - John Spiegel - 03-30-2014

JJ is pretty much a warrior that knows some absorb magicks and pitiful levels of others. Even his drainy magic is sub-par unless he's close (or touching) someone. He swings big weapon, make thing go smash (was mainly greatsword and scythe till the Calamity, though he's not foreign to axes! Nel and Isilme of the Celestial forge made him an uber awesome axe!) In his earlier years, he struggled with his "inner beast", some form of some similar thing as seen in the WAR questline. He's long since been able to let himself off the leash rather than no control.

But anyways, I'm of the belief "warrior" is more of a general term for people that go fight (Warriors of Light! OMG!) A lancer can say he's a warrior. He fights! A bard can say he's a warrior of love and puffy pants.

Eh, I lost my train of thought.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - TheLastCandle - 03-30-2014

"Warrior" is a general term for me, like JJ outlined above. A warrior is a guy (or gal) who fights, with or without puffy pants. ;P I don't generally refer to the job IC; I've never had occasion to. If I did, I might say "one of the raging Warriors of legend" just to make it clear that I'm talking about the job itself.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - Noeh - 03-31-2014

My Hyur character was raised on a ranch and had to do farm work. She uses her many years of manual labor and boredom in her combat style. Think..stick fighting on a fence post but with a shovel and pitchfork instead. Thus she uses a re-purposed pitchfork for her combat to fight as a dragoon. For things maurader related, she's more or less a woman in heavy armor beating enemies to death with a heavy bladed shovel. For her it's about using the skills she already has from doing simpler things.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - Teryaani - 03-31-2014

For Teryaani, I fall in with the "combatant who knows how to use the axe" camp of warriors. I've never seen her as a raging berserker type IC.

SE made most of the jobs extremely uncommon, so I keep that in mind when thinking of her backstory.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - TheLastCandle - 03-31-2014

I see Yvelont as being moderately well-versed in melee weaponry in general, using the best weapon for the job independent of game mechanics. Axes for crushing power against heavy armor, sword and shield when anticipating the need for a more defensive approach, and his Ishgardian lancer skills when he knows he'll be fighting agile opponents and the like.

So I guess I'm in the "just a guy with an axe" camp, myself.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - Erik Mynhier - 03-31-2014

A knight, manners trained by an Ishgardian mother and Ala Mhigan father, grateful and sworn to his adopted nation. He is kind and gentle, despite his size and race. Due to a ritual preformed by his father on him soon after birth (a deep family secret), Erik carries a deep and savage rage within him, a rage he actively suppresses through it shows from time to time in the form of sudden, and quickly extinguished anger and violence. Personality wise you could classify him as Neutral/Good. He seeks to do well by people but due to his past, sees the world in shades of gray rather then black and white, something that wins him friends from all walks of life, but aggravates his fellow Sultansworn.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - John Spiegel - 04-01-2014

I would like to elaborate on my previous entry of describing my character's "type" of warrior... (I'm bored at work and listening to music got me in the mood!)

Orphaned at two as his parents died someway (he's in his 50s now so that's like ancient history), he was put in an Ala Mhigan military bootie camp that had aims of making the children into Corpse Brigade folk, which were (from what I gather) the equivalent of raiders of hardcoreness. He ran away at age of 12 after murderkilling a jerkbag in blind-poke-you-in-the-spleen rage. He knew the rudementaries of combat. His prime desire in life was to be free, which has always been his driving force first and foremost.

At this time he was a one-hander user mainly... he had not developed the muscle mass for heavy things... he was actually quite scrawny. Most of his early encounters with the wilds of Eorzea (or bad guys) had him on the run rather stand and fight. When that option got stalled, and he had to fight, he fought with whatever worked rather than any definable technique.. he would try to mimic movements he saw or just really tried anything. He was fighting for survival and freedom, which is a much better driving force than greed or glory.

So puberty hit and he started to develop muscles, as well as raging hormones of all sorts! It was probably around 14-15 where he kind of just lost his shit and brutally murderkilled some more jerkbags and picked up a two-hander of some sort. He would use the counter-weight of various two-handers to his advantage. Again, he predominately fought to preserve his own freedom (and those of oppressed folk).

His magic ability grew at this point, still a little blurry of the details (again, this was decades ago) but he found he was able to drain others' aether in one aspect or another... but had a limited grasp on this at the time. His un-technique kept developing. It would change as he saw more fights. It would change as he trained. It would change as he got heavier and heavier armor.

It wouldn't be until his 20s where he got his rage under control.. he's hurt friends during this time during his rage sessions. He's called it various things... the "Darkness", "the Beast", "the Rage". The best I can explain it would be his id on steroids (the id being primal instinct to survive that circumvents higher levels of consciousness in real bad times).

He settled to the scythe or the greatsword as his preferred two handed weapons (whist still carrying 8-12 inch sword on the back of his belt and knives). The scythe prooved to be especially helpful when he was fighting magitek during the Garlean invasion of Ala Mhigo.. cerment is hard stuff so he would use his scythe as a gripping hook to pull magitek down and what have you.

So his "Darkness/Rage/Beast", yeah, kind of adapted that to the Warrior job quests and he's long since had it on a leash but when he does let go, hooo boy, his regard for his bodily safety is out the window. He'll charge into dragon breath and grab the dragon by the face and headbutt it while singing "Marry had a Little Lamb" (okay, probably not that whole thing about grabbing the face... he'd grab the tongue!) He'll throw his greatsword to impale a beast, run at the beast and pull out a one handed sword and just go to stabsville!

Those that have fought or sparred with him in the past and again sometime later would note he's rather unpredictable if one is trying to find a pattern for the most part.

RE: What kind of Warrior are you? - Saefinn - 04-02-2014

The lore for classes can be a little bit annoying when you consider the stories you encounter. Like the White Mage situation.

But I personally see no issue in a person learning skills or acquiring a title - even if self-inflicted. I don't think it has to work precisely as it does in the storylines, because it would be ludicrous and it would be the same for the Main Scenario quests (Captain Saefinn the hero who took down Ultimate Weapon? Get real), but I would say to acquire the skills and knowledge? There's more than one way to skin a rabbit, but you have to be creative. Like with Warrior, you essentially come across 2 Warriors from a tribe and these 2 Warriors are trying to keep the art of their homeland alive, yet bearing a responsible tone, as the beast is not to be trifled with. SE in a sense make that limiting, but I would say there exists other possibilities - other members of the tribe, people who are not directly mentioned in the story or descendants of said people. Of course, using a training manual can be a bit flawed in that you won't necessarily learn proper technique, but not impossible to learn a technique.

In my MC's back story, Saefinn, his grandfather belong to a Roegadyn and Highlander crew as the only Miqo'te, but they took on like a brother. They called themselves 'The Sons of Lilja' and Lilja was a Hellsguard and whilst he is now dead, he has a bit of family history as far as Warriors go. How does this fit Saefinn? To consider him a Warrior is simply laughable, he doesn't have much brawn and he's more of a strategist, hence he's a self proclaimed 'Scholar Captain' and then giving him Warrior and Scholar as prestige is even more silly. But he has phases of wanting to be physically stronger so that he may take foes head on, he has swung his axe at Sahagin before now. So how will Warrior work into this? He's currently having a bit of a crisis in terms of his family and his history - he feels he's let his good name down, after the death of his only remaining family it has sent him into different mental states. He had a lot of respect for his grandfather and often heard tales of this man Lilja and his crew.

So, I think in his current state of mind he could end up digging the past and whilst he may not become a great Warrior in uncovering Lilja's memoirs, I am certain his curiosity will get the better of him and he will certainly try to learn something from them. Of course, taking the same scenario, somebody who is more inclined to take the Warrior role, they could go the extra mile of using memoirs as a reference with their own Marauder training or perhaps even uncover a soulstone with it.

I also have a White Mage in my character list, but I am currently in the process of seeing how it's feasible for her.

But what kind of Warrior (ish) will he be? A pure amateur, likely the sort to go berserk - really he would have no business playing with this art and it is perhaps reckless of him to try...but he's not always known for making the most sensible decisions and has a history of being wrathful, though he tries to correct himself. Perhaps in discovering Lilja's history, he might be more intrigued in how this 'inner beast' is controlled, given he's been known to have his outbursts and he may assume (perhaps wrongly) that it will allow him to learn to control himself better.