Hydaelyn Role-Players
Leveling Crafting/Gathering - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Leveling Crafting/Gathering (/showthread.php?tid=6887)

Leveling Crafting/Gathering - CalebAgron - 04-08-2014

So I'm hoping HRC can help me decide the best course of action, and if this post seems scatter brained I apologize, it's just mirroring my cluelessness on the issue.

So for starters I am not the person who likes 1 character to be able to do all the professions (or jobs for that matter). Though I am abundantly aware that this would be the most efficient way. All my characters are learning the gathering skills, but are only taking up 1 or 2 crafting skills (Armorsmith for Caleb, Weaving for Anveena etc.).

That said I'm trying to determine the best way to level each skill. Currently I'm just doing the straight up farming mats and using them to level my crafting. This however seems to be taking a long time, and worse when I'm waiting on rested XP to build up.

It was suggested to me that I start to do the levequests, and while that would certainly seem -quicker- and help with the gathering levels...I don't get any mats from the quests, and would have to purchase or farm the mats for the crafting levequests...wouldn't that just defeat the whole purpose of me avoiding farming mats..or making gil?

Should I stick to farming mats...but instead of just creating random stuff do the crafting leves?

Above all my priority is gil, I want to make sure I'm spending little to nothing leveling these skills, but I would also like to get things done before the end of the year >.> Any suggestions or thoughts, is my logic flawed?

RE: Leveling Crafting/Gathering - Jana - 04-08-2014

Get each class to level 15 for the important cross-class skills, then make lots of HQ items and turn them in for multi-leve HQ exp. The important skills beyond 15 to cross-class are CUL 37 and CUL, CRP, and BSM's 50s, though those aren't mandatory by any means.

RE: Leveling Crafting/Gathering - KitKat - 04-11-2014

A lot of the level 50 skills are very important if you want to get into the 3 star crafts. 

If you want to work on only one craft per character, you're going to hurt yourself when it comes to mastery. I'd recommend (painful for one character, let alone multiple) leveling every craft but only using the chosen one per character. 

Crafting is a different animal than combat. You can get away with 50 in main class and 15 in job off class. You miss out on cross class skills, but they're not always essential. Crafting, though, is made to work with all of them done.

RE: Leveling Crafting/Gathering - CalebAgron - 04-11-2014

(04-11-2014, 04:35 AM)TheCurls Wrote: A lot of the level 50 skills are very important if you want to get into the 3 star crafts. 

If you want to work on only one craft per character, you're going to hurt yourself when it comes to mastery. I'd recommend (painful for one character, let alone multiple) leveling every craft but only using the chosen one per character. 

Crafting is a different animal than combat. You can get away with 50 in main class and 15 in job off class. You miss out on cross class skills, but they're not always essential. Crafting, though, is made to work with all of them done.
Bah guess i wont bother crafting then, I refuse to level all crafts on one character so crafting is useless to me. Well on the upside wont need to continue my subscription till personal housing comes out lol.

RE: Leveling Crafting/Gathering - X'havir Vahl - 04-12-2014

You can get away with leveling one craft. It just takes more work for HQing things in the end. And the mastery is obviously extremely hard without the boosts of abilities from other crafts. But if you want it for the fun stuff, housing pieces and some of the lower level vanity type pieces (1star below) then it's fine with none of the others.

I farmed/bought mats for the leve quests then tried to concentrate on leves that returned materials back to me. Such as the ones that gave me diremite webbing for weaver or electrum as a goldsmith.

With my first crafter I just grabbed leves and did them all. With later ones I picked the more efficient leves(looked at them on the leve quest giver, noted which one turned in in the city for higher XP) and hunted materials specific for those then would go on a crafting spree of making/turning in.

If you are willing maybe pick up one other craft on each character that complements the craft you like best to help avoid having to shop for some of the materials on the market. Something like leatherworker for your weaver and I don't know, carpentry or blacksmithing for your armorsmith? That gives you access to a few of the unique crafting abilities without needing to level all the classes or spend gil on some of the crafted materials you need.

RE: Leveling Crafting/Gathering - CalebAgron - 04-13-2014

(04-12-2014, 05:05 AM)Xhavira Wrote: You can get away with leveling one craft. It just takes more work for HQing things in the end. And the mastery is obviously extremely hard without the boosts of abilities from other crafts. But if you want it for the fun stuff, housing pieces and some of the lower level vanity type pieces (1star below) then it's fine with none of the others.

I farmed/bought mats for the leve quests then tried to concentrate on leves that returned materials back to me. Such as the ones that gave me diremite webbing for weaver or electrum as a goldsmith.

With my first crafter I just grabbed leves and did them all. With later ones I picked the more efficient leves(looked at them on the leve quest giver, noted which one turned in in the city for higher XP) and hunted materials specific for those then would go on a crafting spree of making/turning in.

If you are willing maybe pick up one other craft on each character that complements the craft you like best to help avoid having to shop for some of the materials on the market. Something like leatherworker for your weaver and I don't know, carpentry or blacksmithing for your armorsmith? That gives you access to a few of the unique crafting abilities without needing to level all the classes or spend gil on some of the crafted materials you need.
What exactly is it that i would be missing if instead of having 1 character do them all. Having 4-5 characters do 1 or 2 each. Cause I can transfer the items between characters right? or is it a "skill" i would be missing?

RE: Leveling Crafting/Gathering - Ashianna - 04-13-2014

The Crafting 101

This is a few months old, but it does have a lot of information in it that I refer to frequently. Towards the ends, someone posts about the benefits of leveling a few of the crafting classes up to 15 for the benefit of the cross class skill. Basically, getting those cross class skills will make it so you are more likely to get HQ items out of it. While many of the classes are beneficial, there are a few that are more important than others, so you certainly don't have to do them all. It can be efficient to do them all on one, but I understand your reasoning for not wanting to. I have a couple characters myself and would prefer to not do them all on one character.

One thing I will mention is, you mentioned moving things between characters. Sadly, we aren't able to do that. No mailing between our own characters. Sad Unless you have someone that you trust to transfer items to your character, or have them both in the same Free Company and transfer items via the FC chest, we aren't able to move things between our own characters at this time. 

Hope the link helps you to find an arrangement for your characters you are happy with!

RE: Leveling Crafting/Gathering - X'havir Vahl - 04-13-2014

(04-13-2014, 03:39 AM)CalebAgron Wrote:
(04-12-2014, 05:05 AM)Xhavira Wrote: You can get away with leveling one craft. It just takes more work for HQing things in the end. And the mastery is obviously extremely hard without the boosts of abilities from other crafts. But if you want it for the fun stuff, housing pieces and some of the lower level vanity type pieces (1star below) then it's fine with none of the others.

What exactly is it that i would be missing if instead of having 1 character do them all. Having 4-5 characters do 1 or 2 each. Cause I can transfer the items between characters right? or is it a "skill" i would be missing?

Like with the War and Magic classes, you can cross-class abilities between the crafting classes. So you miss out the nice cross class skills to help between crafts and you can't easily transfer items between characters cause you can't mail to yourself. The easiest way to do it is have them both in the same free company and transfer via the company chest but its cumbersome. As I see mentioned in the reply above this one. >.>

You can of course do one or two per character, it just means HQing 2star and above is going to be very very difficult if not impossible.