Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Long Road Ahead - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Long Road Ahead (/showthread.php?tid=6901)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 06-12-2014

Looking back at her he smiled and chuckled a bit at her reply. "Aye....aye that we are." He wasn't aiming for a fight with her and realized it had been a long morning and he was a bit short on temper.

"I know you're not my mother. But as someone who knows this city..." He turned and faced her, stepping closer keeping his voice hushed. "...if I'm still alive once this blows over, I wonder if there are any...opportunities....for someone in this city? Business-wise I mean. I can't go back to Ul'dah. And I'm starting to question my decision to go to Coerthas."  He stepped back a bit and adjusted his tunic a bit before continuing. "I just thought maybe I'd ask since you seem to know this city. Would I fare well here I wonder?"

He turned slightly, and looked to the ground. "Or maybe I'd be dead...."

He looked back over his shoulder at her, with a curious look.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 06-12-2014

Zhi took a bite. She chewed, and watched Flit, listened to him talk. She observed him for long enough after he'd stopped talking for the silence to stretch and start to become some form of awkward. She swallowed, took another bite, and talked through the mouthful. "Ye askin' t'hire me, or t'be hired?" And then, maybe because she was feeling nice, or maybe because she liked the sound of her own voice, she continued: "See, this? This ain't 'cuz I'm yer friend. Yer part o' me job wi' Thatcher. I'm gettin' paid fer this. But after this? Ye ain't me problem no more, not unless there's coin involved. And if yer lookin' t' make it down here, that's how it's gonna be. I ain't got no knowin' o' where ye come from, and I don't give a tub o' bilgewater about it -- but if yer gonna survive down here while I'm on Thatcher's gil -- and I aim fer ye to -- ye gotta know that first.

"So ye tell me which way ye want it t'be. Otherwise ye can feck off back t'whatever realm under Azeyma's boilin' light spawned ye. Don't matter none t'me."

The words were like daggers to him, as he'd never been spoken to in such a way. Even when he'd been dealing with Natalie and had deserted and then returned....she'd only scolded him and made him run. Kink's words were crushing. She didn't really care about him....only cared about the gil.

He was tired and exhausted. His limit had all but been hit and he sighed heavily, tossing the remiander of his fish into the trash and walking up to her, looking up at her with a scowl. His remaining eye was glistening with a fresh set of tears and his breathing was sharp as he tried to mask his hurt feelings. He reached into his pocket and removed the small pouch with the two thousand gil promised to Yayabuko and boldly grabbed her hand and harshly placed the gil in her palm with a sharp breath.

"All about the damn gil. Here's the gods damned gil! You want more? I got more if you want it so damn bloody bad!!" He was nearly shouting and fighting back a hitched voice. He'd been running out of people to count on and the combination of the day and her words and his fatigue only ensured that her reaction was more emotional. He took a step back and aimed his index finger at her. "I don't need a damn friend. I just...." His voice hitched hard, and for the first time he wanted a drink moreso than he wanted in a long time.

He was tired of being left behind. And it looked like it was going to happen again. He walked away, covering his face with his hand trying to maintain some calm. He stopped....took a deep breath and looked back at her with tears streaming out of his eye.

"I know you're just on the clock....doesn't mean you have to be so damned cold. And I won't waste your time with any more questions. Once the job's done I'll piss off, just like you asked."

He sat next the nearest wall and stared straight ahead and frowned, unsure which of the Twelve he'd pissed off to get himself into such a situation.

Zhi snickered. It was a cold sound, and the look that she gave him was openly scornful as she tucked the gil away. She picked a bone out of the mess in her mouth, flicked it aside and swallowed. She pushed off the wall, faced him square, and crouched. At that height, they were more or less eye to eye. She reached out a hand, placing it against the wall next to his head, blocking his face from sight of thoroughfare to her right and his left.

"Ye want t'have a fit? Have it in yer room. Have it wi' a whore. Have it 'round Thatcher. Don't go weepin' an' wailin' wi'me. Ain't me business if ye want t'carry on like a spoiled brat what lost his favorite toy, but ye ain't gonna do it 'round me. Fancy?"

Her smile was slim, and all edge. Her voice was quiet. "Now, ye want t'spend more gil on me after this take? We'll deal. But I don't deal wi' brats what can't control their little temper-tantrums. So wipe up yer ruttin' face, an' act like a sellsword, an' not some kid what got hold o' da's blade. We've work t'do."

He'd heard her snicker as she stood, but didn't care anymore what she had -

Suddenly she was kneeling before him and her hand went to the wall. She was right in front of him and he had an instant of fear...that she'd run out her patience with him. He stared into her eyes, and saw the razor smile and every word she said ran through him like a a herd of chocobos. He breathed quietly staring at her considering what she'd said. And it dawned on him.

He'd acted this way all of his life. He'd run from the deaths of his mother and sister; had run from his brother; had run from the Sultansworn more than once; was running from Ul'dah when he'd been confronted; and wasn't he now preparing to run again? He'd acted the coward for so long. Putting up a false bravado and yet she was right.

He was a brat. A lost lonely brat.

He sighed as recalled he'd pulled nearly a similar stunt with Kage outside of Wineport and it brought a red flush to his cheeks. He wiped his face as she commanded and nodded. He rose to his feet slowly took three steps away from her and nodded again. He turned to look at her, embarrassed by his behavior. His voice was low and still a bit hitched.

".....'M sorry."  His eyes wandered to the ground for a second before going back to hers. "I...I won't give you a sermon....just....you're right." He turned and sighed heavily, taking in a deep breath and wiping his face once more and breathed, getting himself under control. He turned and walked close to her, a serious expression on his face. He looked down and then back at her. "Not sure what it means to to you.....but thank you. For saying what you said....thank you. It needed to be said."

He took a couple of steps back and looked around, and then back to her. "And for your information, I will likely look to hire you in the future. If you don't mind working for a reformed spoiled brat, that is." He offered a soft apologetic smile at this as he hoped to put his emotional outburst behind him.

"Stop. . .sayin' 'thank ye'." Unnecessary rutting words. "Yer lookin' t'get hired by a gang, not go out t'tea."

She didn't want to hear it.

She turned a little without standing to keep him in sight, pushing the rest of the fish into her mouth. She finished it up, popped out an eyeball from the head she'd bought, and chewed on it. She snorted.

"Y'ain't 'reformed.' Yer jes playin' at it now, but if ye can keep from snivelin' ye can make a show at it. Ye ruin me take wi' yer -- " she made a vague gesture at him, " -- an' I'll gut ye meself. I'm keepin' ye kickin' fer Thatcher's sake, but that ain't gonna hold if ye step in it. Fancy?"

She stood. They were still way too early, but . . . things had changed. She didn't trust him to behave, now.

"Y'ever been 'round sellswords?"

"Y'ain't 'reformed.' Yer jes playin' at it now...."

The words rang true. He'd harmed her impression of him and just by saying the words was not enough. He'd need to earn his place again. He nodded and then considering what she'd said, he stepped closer and looked like a bit like an eager child ready to learn.

"I'm not going to step in it."

He pondered her question for a second. He'd work with the Paladins and the Sultansworn to a limited extent but never with sellswords. He shook his head and kept his eye fixed to hers. "No, I haven't."

The urge to spit in his face was strong, but she didn't need more of his cauterwauling. She needed him to focus. She stood instead, rolled her eyes, and gave him her doubt.

He wanted approval. She could use that.

"Vivikuso's been cheated. He's watchful, aye? Doubtful. He knows his worth. He'll push, but he ain't lookin' t'piss nobody off. He's lookin' fer money, not a fight.

"Sellswords're sellin' blood, kid. Their own blood, an' th' blood o'whoever they're told t'aim their weapons at. Gotta be cold t'do that. Gotta be good t'survive. Keep yer eyes open. Walk like yer ready t'knock off th'first scrag what looks at ye funny. Stand like yer th'most dangerous scut in th'room."

She shrugged one-shouldered. "What that looks like's up t'yerself, but one thing y'got t'look is fearless. If things ain't fair, ye'll tough it out. If ye whine, it ain't done serious. Place we're goin' is filled wi' folk what would slit yer throat fer bein' annoyin'. Don't piss nobody off, but don't take nobody's piss, neither. Fancy?"

She'd eaten the other eyeball, and had the head up to her mouth. She was gnawing on it.

He listened intently to her words. The lesson was important, especially the first as he needed to play the part well.

He set the part to his mind and adjusted his posture a bit, to look less passive, and more assertive.

Her other guidance was more general and he narrowed his eye a bit as he listened. He was to go into a hornet's nest and not only hope to not get strung but to blend in among the hornets themselves.

"Aye.....be the man I need to be....not the boy I am." He looked at her and smiled.

"And to remember not to step in it."

Godspit, he sounded so young. She grunted, turned and said, "Follow," as she started to walk away.

She kept their feet groundside as they walked through the city, not trusting him to be a good climber and not willing to waste time confirming her assumption. He was a wildcard. She didn't like those. Not at all.

Zhi needed Flit. He didn't need to know that. She needed him to play a part. She needed him to not feck it up beyond recovery.

She was rolling the dice. Again.

She took him down to Fisherman's Bottom, explaining the rules of Her Highness as they walked. Don't stare, keep your coin close, neutral ground, don't start fights you can't finish, and most of all: keep your mouth shut on politics, be they city politics of gang politics. Play dumb if any sensitive questions got asked. Always defer to the employer. It was all common knowledge, and common sense, but as far as she was concerned he had neither.

They arrived at Her Highness half a bell early. It was a boat docked up tight between the rock that housed the fishing guild and the spire behind it. Money was doubtless exchanged to keep it unseen, whether or not the jacks regularly kept eyes on it; Zhi figured running such a place on the water like that wasn't strictly legal, but its proprietor made it well known that he paid his taxes like any other law-abiding merchant.

The bar itself was down in the belly of the small ship. It was narrow, dingy, smoky and smelled of too many bodies and alcohol. It was unheard of to see it empty, less it was closing. Neutral ground like it where the 'neutral' part was so ruthlessly enforced was popular.

Zhi lingered on the outskirts, avoiding the plank that lead up to the ship. "Questions?" Her voice was low. She wasn't looking at Flit, was smirking at some dolled up doxy under the arm of a drunken pirate. She nodded to the lass, who blew a kiss back to her with a, "Resin! See me in a sun, I got gossip what'll make yer ears red!"

Zhi winked back, her return smirk a promise all its own. The lass giggled: Zhi never dallied with doxies. It was empty. Most of her promises were.

He saw the ship and as they neared, he mentally put himself in the right frame of mind. Focused on the details. He said them aloud quietly to himself. "Vivikuso. Cheated. Watchful. Wants his money but not a fight."

He was recalling the lessons he'd learned at the archers' guild in Gridania and the hard lessons working his way through the gladiators guild in Ul'dah and he reminded himself that he was no mere mercenary. He was a free Paladin regardless of the garb he wore. 

He also remembered his pain. Saw the face of his brother. Any man in this place would not ever be as terrifying as Nono had been. He saved that fear and that anger and used it steel his nerves. He was acting a part and if one of these men or women tried to harm him he would see fit to run them through on that pain and on that fear in order to survive. He would not let Kink down. And he would not let himself be harmed or killed by the people in this place. 

He looked at her and shook his head. "I'll be fine." He paused and considered and then nodded. "Aye I do have a question. This....what exactly am I doing here?"

"Makin' yerself look good an' gettin' hired." The doxy slid inside with the man, and Zhi looked down and sideways at Flit. "I'm tryin' t'get at Thatcher's enemies sideways, fancy? Now, I'd do it meself, but I've got another angle t'work. So this, I need a good strongarm fer. That's what yer playin'. A good strongarm. An' I'm needin' ye t' ... learn some things fer me. After ye get hired."

She looked back towards the ramp, and started towards it. "Only honest men come at ye from th'front all th'time, flitter-mouse. Smart men use whatever angle suits 'em best. Remember that. An' don't draw attention t'me. Less ye step in it, far as anyone's concerned ye don't even need t'know me."

Then she was walking up the ramp, into the ship, down the stairs, into the belly.

It was still early in the day. It wasn't full, but there was still three tables full, and a few men and women scattered about solo. Zhi's doxy acquaintance was draped over the pirate as he sat at an ongoing card game. Conversation was muted and slow; like as not several of the patrons were nursing hangovers, or getting themselves started on a day or weeklong spree of drunkenness. They weren't rowdy, not yet. That suited Zhi just fine.

She picked a spot along the bar, near to the table she knew Yayabuko would pick for the meeting. She faced away from the room, hated not having nobody at her back, but kept her sense open. She had good hearing.

He watched her position and sat at another place further down the bar giving her no heed nor attention. He sat in the stool listening to the low murmurs he heard and glanced about. No nervously but as one who was curious might do. He gestured to the barkeep with a raised hand and a nod.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 06-13-2014

The contact entered Her Highness without fanfare. She was tall and broad. She moved with the round-shouldered gait of muscle used frequently for intimidation. It figured, Zhi thought, that it would be that type that they sent. Zhi didn't recognize the woman, but she couldn't help but wonder whether or not Flit would be able to handle the roe.

The woman sat at the table behind Zhi, taking the chair closest to the miqo'te. Zhi was regularly assessed as being a lesser threat. No matter. She was best at playing exactly that.

Zhi didn't see the way the woman wrinkled up her nose when a wench dared to approach her, but she did hear the way the Heavy Hander strongarm scoffed openly when the girl asked her if she'd like a drink.

"I don't drink piss," the roe said, her words ponderous and filled with the weight of meaning. With the single sentence the woman had made it clear to the wench that she didn't want idle chatter or any other service that might be offered. She said only what she meant, nothing less and nothing more.

Zhi was really not sure whether or not Flit could handle himself. Maybe he'd impress her. Haha. Maybe she'd be proven wrong.

She ordered another drink.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 06-13-2014

Ruru heard the roe's comment and he quietly moved away from the bar speaking loudly.
"You know....you came into a bar, sat down in a bar, and were asked if you wanted a drink by someone who works in a bar." He walked deliberately toward the female roe, hand close to the belt he wore. "Seems a bit unfair to holler that way to the woman just doing her job. Makes one wonder....who comes to a bar and refuses a drink?"

His eyes were focused on her, trained to watch for any sign of movement of threat as he approached from her flank.