Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Long Road Ahead - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: The Long Road Ahead (/showthread.php?tid=6901)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Zhavi - 06-13-2014

Usynswys Eidinahtynwyn was not a woman who'd had an easy life. Though the most recent decade had seen her rise high enough to forgo the rude approaches, such as the little lalafell was presently exercising, she still remembered them. They did not do much to affect her now, though there had been times in her wild youth when she had let her temper get the best of her. There was a reason why she'd made it to where she was.

"Are you my contact?" She turned to look directly at the little man, taking in his stance and his weapon with a practiced eye. There was subtext in her words made up of 'or are you stupid?' that didn't carry through into her expression. It was bland, almost thoughtful, as she watched him approach her.

Starting a fight was not the typical way she expected a potential recruit to act towards the recruiter, but maybe he was stupid.

Or maybe she was just getting old.

Zhavi, meanwhile, was cringing over her alcohol. She was praying to Nald'thal to tip the scales in her favor, though she'd never admit to it.

RE: The Long Road Ahead - Melodia - 06-13-2014

When she turned and looked at him he knew it would not be a fight he could win. Had it been a smaller man, he'd have been able to move quickly enough, but he remembered the roe woman Denn and her size and strength. And she'd been helping him. If he launched an attack, he would be dead quickly. The woman was stoic and looked at him with a dismissive gaze that told him that she would not tolerate his behavior much longer. He stayed his hand, lowering it to his side.
And he didn't look at Kink....didn't want to see her look which was surely disappointment.

Had he already failed this first test. He was struggling to find that balance between what he was supposed to portray and his own nature. He was furious that this woman spoke that way to the barmaid, bringing fresh thoughts of Aya back in Ul'dah. It just....wasn't right. He stood firm and stared at the roe for a full minute before nodding in the silence around him. "Maybe so. Depends on who you're looking for." His voice was firm, as he tried to hide the minor fear behind them. Though he was more terrified of what Kink would do to him after this was over. He'd surely almost created more problems.

Eidinahtynwyn, called Oath Judge after her father, watched the little man before her with some care. She didn't like lalafell as a rule, felt that their natural stature made them more likely to try to prove something. Perpetual little man's syndrome, rolled up tight in a itty bitty package that held more power then it rightly should. It could be, had been, disaster.

She didn't like this one. He was likely young (or else old and definitely stupid), full of himself, and thinking he was some hot-shot tough shit.

Belligerent attitudes and rudeness had ceased to impress her under any circumstance when she'd passed into her third decade. Now, it was just another added layer of irritation and a waste of her time.

"Are you lookin' for employment with the Heavy Handers?"

She didn't think she wanted him, if he was. Last thing she needed was more runts who didn't understand their place.

Ruru approached her relaxing a bit and came around the other side of the table, and slid into an open chair, still watching her. He felt stupid and embarrassed that he had tried so hard to be the tough guy and he now had to clean up yet another mess.

He gulped and spoke, his voice still even. "Aye. And I meant no disrespect....though I'm sure that's how it came across." He looked back at the barmaid and then back to the Roe. "I've a friend who works this job. It's tough. Had a moment of sympathy was all." He leaned in and smiled. It was a friendly and confident smile. "Though I do appreciate you not making an example out of me. Least not here."

Leaning back a bit, showing a relaxed pose, he nodded. "Aye....I am looking for a job. Need the work. I've found the guilds to be a pain the ass, to be honest. Not enough coin. Ah...." He looked a bit embarrassed and held out a hand. "I apologize for being rude. Vivikuso's the name."

"I don't hire troublemakers," Oath said.

He was a mess.

She leaned back and folded her arms, staring at him. The hand was ignored.

He held the hand there for a moment, then tilted his head, narrowing his eye. Straightening his head again he shrugged and withdrew the hand. He smiled again and slipped off the chair beginning to walk back to the bar. He paused and looked over at her. "I'ts too bad the impression you got was was that I'm a troublemaker. I'm not. I can handle myself with both blade and a bow. And I respect the job and the employer. It's a shame I put my foot in my mouth. sorry to have wasted your time." He turned to walk back to the bar, frustrated with himself, wondering how many ways Kink would kill him.

"Do you always leave before you've been dismissed?" Oath's eyes were glued to the runt's back.

"I wasn't aware I'd been hired." His voice was cool and he kept his gaze forward though he dare not move.

"I am considerin' you for employment." Oath's expression was almost serene, her tone dry and level. But there was something about her that suggested scorn.

She did not like it when runts did not pay her proper respect.

He walked slowly around and back to his seat across from her. He looked at her with an earnest expression. As Ruru considered her words, he tapped the table two times and leaned in, lowering his voice.

"'Considering.' That means I might still not get the job." He looked down at the table and then back to her, cocking his head to the side a bit. This was not a woman to trifle with. Her look screamed that he was wasting her time and each second pushed her that much closer to the door. "Aye....I stepped in it back there. Shouldn't have mouthed off. What do I need to do to secure the position? My blade's yours if you'll have me. And I'll stow the attitude at the door."

Oath did not consider it necessary to tell the runt that nothing in life was certain. Who was he to think that his mere presence would ensure him a place amongst the Heavy Handers?

His words went some way towards soothing her, but she could not help the urge to grind him under her bootheel. Still, she'd sworn herself to the Handers, and part of that had been ensuring that they could handle anything thrown their way. If there was something to the scrag sitting before her, she owed it to them to recruit him in.

Given what her name meant to her, she took her oaths seriously.

"What is your experience?"

He answered her, not in a boastful manner, but in an honest and practical way.

"Spent some time in the gladiator's guild in Ul'dah, found the city to be pain the ass and decided to head north. Worked as a sellsword in Coerthas for a bit, independently mind you. Worked a bit through Gridania, picking up some archer skills. The damn woods are crawling with Wallers, though and figured I'd try my hand in Limsa. Sea air does me good. I've killed all manner of beasts, trekked through the worst of the tombs scattered through the land, and worked alongside good men and women alike." He stopped....he didn't want to oversell....tried to be as accommodating with his answer as he could while remaining vague. He didn't need specific details coming back to haunt him.

"To sum up. I'm good enough that my blade will kill whatever the Heavy handers need me to kill."

Whatever, huh?

Oath inclined her head. "Impress me." She wasn't just staring at him, she was staring through him. Then, she turned her head and looked out into the not so crowded room.

She smiled.

It was a very deliberate, calculated expression.

He watched her look about and readied himself. He knew what she wanted...or at least thought he did and never took his eyes from her.

"Anyone in particular? Or shall I just end the first man I run into over there?" He smiled, his voice had been playful, not vindictive. He imagined enjoying ending a man's life. Put himself in another's (his brother's) shoes. Brought on a sense of coldness and he would need it.

Zhi coughed as Oath continued to stare at Flit. She was faking it, but she made sure it would be loud enough to get his attention. Oath was wordless. It was a test. A test he had to pass.

She could only hope he'd remembered what she'd told him about Her Highness. She hoped she'd said the right things, but she couldn't remember.

Fear sliced through her.

Gods above, but she prayed.