Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hey there. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hey there. (/showthread.php?tid=6939)

Hey there. - Sonusem - 04-15-2014

Hello! I'm Sonusem. I've just rolled a character on Balmung to look into learning how to Role Play in MMOs. Here is a template!

--MMORPG background
Ultima Online, Everquest, Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, Star Wars Galaxies (Pre-NGE), Star Wars: The Old Republic, Star Trek Online, Neverwinter, Champions Online, City Of Heroes, Rappelz, Monster Rancher Online, and a good hundred or so more.

--RP experience
10+ Years of Table Top, MUD, and IRC Role Play.

--Character ideas/info
Sonusem is a Miqo'te Sun Seeker named by a Hyur. He is a bit fearful when it comes to doing things like attacking beast men, or going into dangerous places, and expresses this in lazy excuses to not and complete denial of said fear. His life goal is to buy his own house, and has decided focusing on gathering interesting plants and minerals to sell is the way to do it.

--How did you learn about the coalition?
Searching Reddit for role play.

--What kind of a role-player are you aiming to be? Light, medium, or heavy?
Medium to Heavy, depending on what's going on in real life.

--Anything from real life you'€™re comfortable with sharing? (Work, school, hobbies, etc)
I have the full collection of Lego Marvel Superheroes, and uh... I... like pie?

Yay for templates! They make things easy. So that sums up me and such.
I look forward to seeing you all in game, and will answer most questions if they are posed. Big Grin

RE: Hey there. - Ragnar - 04-15-2014

Hey Sonusem! Welcome to Balmung and the RPC, if you see me wandering around feel free to come say hi!

RE: Hey there. - Zhavi - 04-15-2014

Eyyyy, someone else who used to play on MUDs! Man those things were addicting.

I rather like your character concept -- goal is to buy a house? What a stable guy. It would be a shame if something were to happen to him. Teeheehee. *cough* Pie is lovely. Apple pie with cheddar cheese. . .now I want some. Sad

RE: Hey there. - Sonusem - 04-15-2014

I have found, over the years, that I have evolved from being the guy that wants to be the hero to being the guy that enjoys more realistic goal sets. If he gets to be an unwilling hero along the way, alright then! I can punch with the rolls. But, yeah. House.

I hope to see people for play soon! I'm new at MMO style play and have been a bit intimidated by it for the longest, but I dig FFXIV enough to give it the old college try.

Also, MUDs were super addicting, holy cow. I actually saved my allowance for a couple months to pay for zMUD and cMUD back in the old times, and I have chocolate pie with whipped cream. Life doesn't get much more sweet. ... Get it? Sweet? Chocolate pie? *cough*

RE: Hey there. - Ashianna - 04-15-2014

I also played a fair amount of MUDs, MUCKs, and IRC. That is actually were I started rping. Rping in MMO's isn't that much different other than you have a visual view of the world around you to draw from instead of having to describe the world around you to set the scene. I think you'll find rping in MMO's quite enjoyable.

I think you have a great character concept. Sometimes the simplest beginnings turn into epic stories. I look forward to learning more about him! And welcome to the community Smile

RE: Hey there. - Elisea Renyven - 04-15-2014

IRC RP for the win.. did that 14 years and Ultima Online, true old school MMO! You I salute *Salutes*

Hehe, yeah, there is something special about smaller scale characters. In recent years I've started to go more for the smaller character roles, myself; there's something so satisfying about pitting characters against more normal stuff (or, er, at least not world/city/whatever ending), or even just having them get swept up in whatever else is going on. I think it was Robin Hobb who said something about how when she read Lord of the Rings she wanted to write a character like Sam -- not the main character or the hero, but the guy outside the spotlight. Aaaand, that was how the Farseer books began! I think. But I remember when I read that as a teenager I became entranced with the idea. I even have a fifty-something widow whose children left her for the big city -- she's been heaps of fun to play.

Of course, I can't write a more "normal" character without putting them in weird situations, but eh, that's my bag.

Aaaanyways, if you roll on Balmung and happen to drop by Limsa, I have a scruffy runner/information dealer with dreams of gaining influence over the city who could definitely say mean things to your character about his dream to buy a home. ;D

RE: Hey there. - Sonusem - 04-15-2014

Thanks, Whispering. I look forward to playing with everyone who wants to play!

*salute*

I've actually been running around Gridania for the past few hours, listening to my character moan about having to kill things for the Wood Wailers before he can start selling things in the city. ... In my head, of course. ... I'm not insane, I swear. *cough* But I'm sure he'll make it to Limsa eventually.
Smile

Right, you already said you rolled on Balmung. Huuuurrrr, don't mind me. Anyways, looking forward to it.

RE: Hey there. - Avalt Laguz - 04-16-2014

Welcome to the house of fun!

If you ever encounter Avalt, feel free to prod him Smile

RE: Hey there. - naachyan - 04-18-2014

Welcome!! Let me tell you as a start that I have only begun RPing on Balmung around a week ago. You will have so much fun! I promise! XD

I completely understand your character concept! Mylene, (my character) is a fisher who does not like to fight. Her father kind of forced her to learn the basic use of the bow. Since his death, she hasn't touched it again. Because of her pacifist lifestyle she is often called naive. Though she still wants to see the parts of Eorzea that she never got to see with her father, so she joined an order of adventurers as a purely trade/merchant character instead of a warrior.

Send me a friend request the next time you are on x3 Everyone I've RPed with is so nice and we can help you get started!