Hydaelyn Role-Players
Macros - This thread wrote itself. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Macros - This thread wrote itself. (/showthread.php?tid=7015)

Macros - This thread wrote itself. - E'lario - 04-26-2014

Macros combine several actions into one, reducing the amount of busy work for your fingers.

To start, hit 'Esc' and go to 'User Macros'. From there, you can create and edit macros, as well as select an icon for them.

For all of the macros below, you will need to go into your chat filters and either turn off error messages or hide them in another chat window. Otherwise, all you will see in your chat window is failure messages triggered by your macros.

Also, please note that the quotation marks on your skills are not optional. While some macros will still function without them, others won't work at all.

Here are some basic macros you may find helpful and how they work.

Start Attack

/ac "Attack Name"
/ac "Auto-attack"

This one is a bit subtle. If you've ever tried to attack something while out of TP, you'll notice that your character just stands there like an idiot. The solution is start attack macros. This basic macro combines starting auto-attack with a skill of your choosing. Even if you're TP starved or GCD locked and can't perform a skill, you will begin to auto attack your target. If you are OCD enough, you can do this with all your attack skills.

Before continuing, there is something people need to be aware of:

Macros do not allow for any form of GCD clipping.

What the hell am I talking about for the uninitiated? Quite simply, when you use abilities normally, you can hit the key for the ability or spell about half a second before the global cooldown finishes so that the ability triggers the instant the GCD ends. For normal play, no one really gives a shit, but for higher-end serious business raiding this is quite a bit more important as it allows for an absolute minimum of downtime between each GCD, where the matter of milliseconds can literally separate a wipe and phat loot.

The current macro implementation, however, does not allow for this. I tested extensively - you MUST wait for the GCD to finish client-side before using another ability. This leads to a lot of distraction and lost time, which sadly counters the point of some of these next few macros. However I included them since if you're not on the bleeding edge you may find these useful.

Easy Archer

/ac "Heavy Shot"
/ac "Misery's End"
/ac "Bloodletter"
/ac Auto-attack

This one eliminates the tedium of watching your cooldown skills (Bloodletter and Misery's End) by combining them into your basic shot. Additionally, it removes the need to have Bloodletter and Misery's End on your bars, as the macro will cast them as often as possible for you. It will cast each of the skills above in order and begin your auto-attack. In between your GCDs from Heavy Shot, it will use Bloodletter and Misery's End as often as possible. Because Misery's End will do nothing while your target is above 20% HP, that line of the macro will return an error message and do nothing when you can't cast the skill. Similarly, there's no penalty for trying to cast Bloodletter while it's still on cooldown. Because of how this game treats off-GCD skills, you will have to spam this button when it is performing multiple actions for you, but that's better than trying to spam two buttons to do the same thing. Replace Venomous Bite or Straight Shot with equivalent macros for better usage of Misery's End and Bloodletter on cooldown.

Mouse-over Cure

/ac "Cure" <mo>
/ac "Cure" <me>

With this macro, it will first check if your cursor is over a valid target (either on the field or their health bar in the party frame). If not, it will cast the spell on you. This is also helpful if you like to keep enemies targeted while you heal, so you can better see what they are casting or so you can burn excess MP on damage.

Target of Target Healing

/ac "Cure" <tt> (replace cure with phyisck for the arcanist version)

This will heal the target of your current target. For example, you have a boss targeted, and the boss in turn has the tank targeted. This macro will heal the tank.

Mouseover Provoke

/ac "provoke" <mo>

You can add the following line if you want it to fire on your target when there is no mouseover.

/ac "provoke"

Sleep/Repose with Markings

/mk "Target to ignore 1" <t>
/p marked for <Sleep> <t> Please don’t attack.
/ac "Sleep" <t>

This will sleep/repose your target as well as place the Ignore 1 marker on it and let your party know that something has been slept. Replace "Sleep" with "Repose" for the WHM version.

Swiftcast Summons

/recast "Swiftcast"
/ac "Swiftcast" <me>
/wait 2
/ac "Summon" <me>

This macro fires swiftcast, then right after that instantly summons your Egi/fairy/carbuncle. When swiftcast is down, it'll still do the summon as normal.

For the other summon spells, just type /ac "Summon II" or /ac "Summon III" (capital letter I)

Swiftcast Resurrection

/macroicon "Resurrection"
/party Casting Resurrection on <t> <se.7>
/ac "Swiftcast" <me>
/wait 1.5
/ac "Resurrection" <t>

This will cast Swiftcast and Resurrection with one press. If Swiftcast is on cooldown, you'll simply cast Resurrection without having to wait the 1.5 seconds you'd normally need to wait due to the Swiftcast animation lock.

Feel free to post any and all macros you have found useful!