Hydaelyn Role-Players
Limsa Lominsa - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Limsa Lominsa (/showthread.php?tid=7233)

Limsa Lominsa - Rosekitten - 05-23-2014

So upon doing some lore research and thinking on my own characters back story I got questioning the timeline of Limsa and how much I really knew about it. Sadly I was no a 1.0 player so I am unsure of what lore gaps I may be missing to be honest. More or less I am asking if there was anything like a major event that happened in the last ten years in the city port of Limsa. 

I was reading a bit about pirates and the such and the race to see who was to be leader or something along those lines (forgive me I'm a bit still on the tired side). I am asking because in my character's story I have it to where she's been living in the city from the age of 17 .. given she is 26 (I guess almost 27 now) I have a feeling I over looked a bit of lore that has to deal with the city that could effect my character or at least her back story. 

I'll stop babbling now and see if I get any bites to help with this and maybe I can sort out what I am asking better besides general history or state the city was in over the past 9-10 years

RE: Limsa Lominsa - Sounsyy - 05-23-2014

If you missed out on 1.0, this is a great thread to catch up on the lore of Limsa Lominsa.

Limsa Lominsa Story Arc 1.0

To highlight a few things:

-Leviathan was first summoned in 1562 6AE and summarily defeated by the Company of Heroes. While this takes place 15 years ago, not 10, this summoning marks the time period where relationships between Limsa and the Sahagin turn nasty, quickly. This is also around the time period where the Scarlet Sea Devil begins terrorizing Limsa. So the sahagin or "fishbacks" as Lominsans nickname them, may still be pertinent talk during this time period.

-Sometime circa 1562, the Trident (a gauntlet run by pirate captains to determine Admiralcy of the Lominsan Fleet) is won by Captain Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn. Captain Hylfyrr of the Bloody Executioners was the favorite for the Admiralcy, but in a final bloody showdown between Merlwyb and Hylfyrr, in which both crews are slaughtered, Hylfyrr surrenders his fleet to Merlwyb.

-Shortly after Merlwyb takes office, Melvaan's Gate (the Arcanist Guild) is formed.

-Also shortly after Merlwyb takes office, the Sanguine Sirens and the Kraken's Arms, captained by Rhoswen and Carvallain respectively, begin a great multitude of pirate uprisings, underground dealings, etc. If your character is super into the pirate side of Limsa life, the whole Trident of 1562 storyline is very important politically.

-Around 1567, the Barracuda and the Yellow Jackets are madly recruiting sailors to bolster their Levys for campaigns against the Sahagin. Merlwyb gives pirates incentives to fight under the Lominsan banner.

-In 1572, Garlean forces invade Vylbrand from the north and add further pressure on the Kobold at O'ghomoro. Shortly thereafter, the Maelstrom is formed. Details on that can be found here and in these newspaper articles.

-According to the 2.2 storyline, shortly after the Calamity, (0000~0001 7UE) the Sahagin summon Leviathan again. This time, Leviathan summons a tidal wave that wipes out a lot of folk and submerges a good bit of La Noscea.

Some other notable Lominsa lore that isn't really attached to the timeline:
-Sahagin were non-aggressive until the Garlean fleet invades Eorzea in 1562.
-Kobold used to live within Limsa Lominsa until about the same time period.
-Lominsans and the Kobold had a Treaty stating that the Kobold own all of the land in Vylbrand, while Lominsan owns the seas surrounding. However, Limsa breaks this treaty by taking over the La Noscea region for farming.
-Limsa Lominsa and Garlemald engaged in trade before the Calamity. Limsa exports iron and other metals to Garlemald.
-The Mamool Ja migrate to Vylbrand shortly after the Calamity, working as mercenaries for Lominsa.

RE: Limsa Lominsa - Kellach Woods - 05-23-2014

I have a couple of questions.

Characters are deemed to have come from somewhere else than Eorzea sometimes, and I like that idea for one of my characters. I'd just like to know (considering we're talking about a 2.0 character) when it would be appropriate for him to have shown up in the five years that span 1.0/2.0 and in an unrelated question, how well known would Melvaan's Gate be outside of Eorzea?

RE: Limsa Lominsa - Edgar - 05-23-2014

(05-23-2014, 02:05 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: -According to the 2.2 storyline, shortly after the Calamity, (0000~0001 7UE) the Sahagin summon Leviathan again. This time, Leviathan summons a tidal wave that wipes out a lot of folk and submerges a good bit of La Noscea.

This created the Sapsa Spawning Grounds, which is basically a giant Sahagin breeding pit.

RE: Limsa Lominsa - Rosekitten - 05-23-2014

that one post helped a lot here shortly i hope to get a chance to read more into it ^^

Kellthach ~ I can't really say when a good time would be. Could be any time really. Depends on the age of your character i'd think along with other factors like what they were doing in said area or why they were in said area. I'm bad about answering this as I sorta went the route that my own character hails from some part of the known Eorzea.

RE: Limsa Lominsa - Kellach Woods - 05-23-2014

Ah. Crapola.

Investigation resumes! (I'll probably just do the same, unspecified part of Eorzea that's far from Limsa. Y'know, that'll work better!)

My experience with rp's and the stories I've come across.. do whatever you enjoy even if some will not agree with you. That's part of the beauty  of adding rp'ers to a story that has lore. Not everyone will follow the guidelines (to an extent of course, though some take it pretty far out of the normal box of thinking and still manage to make it work o-o).

Oh and finally getting to read over everything I was looking for when the MRD guild formed. Given what I had read earlier today it sounded like Merlwyb was the reason the guild was formed when she was building the maelstrom ranks or they were connected somehow ( I may have misunderstood that part of the information).

On the same note I think you covered that time period I am speaking of in your post Sounsyy

RE: Limsa Lominsa - Sounsyy - 05-23-2014

(05-23-2014, 05:54 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I have a couple of questions.

Characters are deemed to have come from somewhere else than Eorzea sometimes, and I like that idea for one of my characters. I'd just like to know (considering we're talking about a 2.0 character) when it would be appropriate for him to have shown up in the five years that span 1.0/2.0 and in an unrelated question, how well known would Melvaan's Gate be outside of Eorzea?

Yes, the Player Character is from a land outside of Eorzea. There are no specifics yet as to where they are from. Going off this, RPers have any number of places they can have their character be from, canon or non. For example, my character Sounsyy is from the Cieldaelies, which is a group of islands south of Vylbrand.

Melvaan's Gate should be very well known throughout all Hydaelyn. Limsa Lominsa is the center of international trade. And nothing goes through Limsa that doesn't come through Melvaan's Gate.

Hope this helps! ^^