Hydaelyn Role-Players
I've hit the Wall.... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: I've hit the Wall.... (/showthread.php?tid=7249)

I've hit the Wall.... - Yahdo - 05-26-2014

So, I have been RP'ing for almost 10 years now and I havn't really had an issue making up characters or stories for them. Recentely it seems I have a hit a wall on idea's, how to stick with them, personalities, or even how to start a conversation. I was wondering if anyone else has hit this wall before and how they were able to overcome it. I still would like to RP but at this point I just don't know how.

RE: I've hit the Wall.... - allgivenover - 05-26-2014

Just play the game a while and see what the world has to offer. Something might catch your eye and inspire you. There's surely something out there to trigger that inspiration.

RE: I've hit the Wall.... - Maril - 05-26-2014

I tend to sit down and read a good book, usually in the fantasy genre. Sometimes I get inspired to make a character that way, because I see something I could envision working where ever I am currently RP'ing. I've RP'ed for five years now, had that wall come up a few times. I've also had full on burnouts, and to that I can only say, don't force yourself to RP - it only makes it worse.

RE: I've hit the Wall.... - Ares D'Argent - 05-26-2014

(05-26-2014, 03:47 PM)Yahdo Wrote: So, I have been RP'ing for almost 10 years now and I havn't really had an issue making up characters or stories for them. Recentely it seems I have a hit a wall on idea's, how to stick with them, personalities, or even how to start a conversation. I was wondering if anyone else has hit this wall before and how they were able to overcome it. I still would like to RP but at this point I just don't know how.

I'm actually in the same boat at the moment.  What I'm doing is taking a break from RP and just doing something different (I'm giving X Rebirth another go) until the need to RP comes back.  Sometimes a bit of a break is in order so you can recharge your energies and when you come back all refreshed you will be surprised on what kind of masterpiece you can create.

RE: I've hit the Wall.... - Mhatya - 05-26-2014

Such good ideas so far.

For myself, when I have a problem finding the desire to RP or getting inspiration for writing, I find freewriting to be helpful. Just find a prompt that piques your interest, generate a random name, and start writing. Don't edit, don't rewrite, just let it flow. Sometimes some of the best idea come from random brain vomit.

RE: I've hit the Wall.... - FreelanceWizard - 05-27-2014

When I've been at a loss for how to proceed, I've done a few things to varying degrees of success. Smile One is, naturally, to take a step back from the RP and do something else -- whether it's another game entirely or just focusing on the PvE side of the game. Taking a break can sometimes recharge the creative batteries. Another trick is to watch some movies, read some books, or otherwise dive into other media. Sometimes great inspiration can come from seeing others' works. Finally, at least when I've got friends to work with, I might ask if they had anything they need played to help with their character, such as a family member, an antagonist, or an old friend. Sometimes these "odd jobs" with fairly circumscribed concepts can take on a life of their own or serve as inspiration.

Hopefully those ideas help!

RE: I've hit the Wall.... - Pumpkinweed - 05-27-2014

(05-26-2014, 03:47 PM)Yahdo Wrote: So, I have been RP'ing for almost 10 years now and I havn't really had an issue making up characters or stories for them. Recentely it seems I have a hit a wall on idea's, how to stick with them, personalities, or even how to start a conversation. I was wondering if anyone else has hit this wall before and how they were able to overcome it. I still would like to RP but at this point I just don't know how.

I write a lot.

Having personally been roleplaying now for well over sixteen years, I've seen all shapes, sorts, characters, personalities, dysfunctions, scenarios and worlds. It's certainly terrible when one produces a "writer's block." That is precisely what this is.

The first thing to do is not panic; everyone who writes tends to hit a wall and the best thing to do is step back and not worry about it. You haven't lost your craft or your talents as a writer. In fact, you've probably become enlightened to the fact that you want to do a far more exuberant persona and play style; one that garners attention and brings you to new levels of excitement and fun!

That in itself, is the issue. You're trying too hard to make something that is supposed to be relaxing, fun and overall a time killer into some convoluted method on how to proceed. Honestly, the answer is slapping you in the face mate.

Don't look so much at the idea and just go with the flow.

You say that is part of your issue, staying consistent? Don't. Allow the character to breathe to life and surprise even you. Do that for a while and you may find yourself wanting to write more and more with them!

Starting a conversation is easy! Just walk over, start with a simple "hello" and most times, a fellow RPer will respond and you just go from there, making it up as you go. If you're lucky, you'll get someone who doesn't RP and they'll think you're insane. I love those kinds.Laugh

In the end, you're going to be left with two choices:

Either try to initiate an RP or you don't.

Those that wait around expecting people to bring the RP to them will find themselves at times questioning their play style and character... and those that take the gamble find that pain and ecstasy come hand in hand.

Hope to see you in game. Thumbsup

RE: I've hit the Wall.... - Zhavi - 05-27-2014

Try something new.

Take a step back.

Imitate a style of writing you've never tried before.

Do something you've always avoided.

Push your comfort zone.

Check your character to see if it isn't related to their story and evolving personality.

If all else fails, force it.

The last one is something I've had to do numerous times over the years with forum rp. If a week or two passes and I've got nothing, and my rp partners are waiting, then I've gotta get something out. Even if it sucks. Even if every word comes screaming out of my fingertips and I have to pull them out by their roots. Sometimes the only way to clear out the rust and the cobwebs is to clean it out with activity.

But sometimes that doesn't work, either. Everyone has their own way of dealing with writer's block (as Gus so aptly named it), and your best bet to discover your way is to try different things. Could just be you need to go out and not think about it for a weekend and come back refreshed. Could be you n eed to get involved with new writers or circles of rpers to get inspired and excited again. Could be any number of things.

But as long as you're interested, don't give up. You got this. Smile

RE: I've hit the Wall.... - Yahdo - 05-27-2014

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the great ideas. They have been very helpful and insightful.