Hydaelyn Role-Players
Keepers of the Moon lore? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Keepers of the Moon lore? (/showthread.php?tid=7264)

Keepers of the Moon lore? - Shofie - 05-29-2014

I know there isn't a lot of official lore about how Moon Keeper tribes are handled, so I was curious: If you RP as a Keeper of the Moon, do you have any interesting things you feel work for Keepers? Do you run your tribe a specific way? Does your tribe have any traditions or customs? Where would they likely be located? Are there any in-game Keeper tribes I may have missed when I was leveling? The only tribe at all off the top of my head I can think of is the U-tribe, but they are a Seeker tribe, so they won't particularly work for this.

Do you have any good sites you like for lore involving Keepers?

My character grew up in a Keeper tribe, and I need to basically think of how I want to handle it for backstory purposes, so I'm brainstorming for ideas at this stage. She's estranged from her tribe currently, so it's not been something I needed to really worry about, but I figure it's going to come up at some point sooner or later.

RE: Keepers of the Moon lore? - TheLastCandle - 05-29-2014

There is precious little lore to speak of, beyond the fact that they are Matriarchal and tend to live in groupings of a few families. Some Keepers in the Shroud have had various run-ins with the Wood Wailers (as some of them may or may not be poachers) and the Ixal. Aside from that, I think most Keeper RPers pretty much agree that any differences in players' interpretation of what little lore does exist go straight into the "well, in my clan we.." bucket.

There's a very old thread in which Keeper roleplayers shared details about their characters' clans, here. Hope this helps!

RE: Keepers of the Moon lore? - Shofie - 05-29-2014

Ah, awesome! Thanks for the link, I'll have to give it a good read when I'm home from work. Smile

I'm still interesting in chatting with folks about this though, as I definitely do not want to resurrect a really old thread to discuss it.

RE: Keepers of the Moon lore? - C'kayah Polaali - 05-29-2014

I think with both Keepers and Seekers, there's a lot of room for "in my tribe/clan", but this is especially true for Keepers. They're very clannish, and the clans are small, so I'd imagine there'd be a lot more of them than there are Seeker tribes (or even septs). Moonkeepers tend to be pretty isolationist in their outlooks, too, so I think these small hothouse cultures could develop some pretty interesting traits.

RE: Keepers of the Moon lore? - Saefinn - 05-29-2014

I think with keepers you've got more room for creativity. Saefinn is a moon kitty, though you wouldn't by his name, but his grandfather is Uhanu'sae, he didn't like his clan and was really unformfortable with some of the rivalry and B/S that comes with it, for him it was all about who could be the most impressive and it came with big egos. But, clan culture was what he grew up with and he saught new horizons elsewhere, but the clan mindset never left him, he became a sailor with a merchant ship. He served with a mostly Roe and highlander crew, he was the token miqo'te, but they in essence became his clan, it was a strong brotherhood without the egos. It was led by a man called Lilja and upon his death they honoured him by referring to themselves as the sons of Lilja.

So whilst I have pushed away from the clans, there is a certain amount of history involved and the lore has kinda influenced the general mentality. This history that was imposed onto Saefinn growing up, though he also had the culture of sailors too, but he seems to have inherited an important trait too - look after your own, he is extremely protective of his crew. His name however, was inherited from the kind of company his grandfather and incidentally, his father kept. I think of him as a Chinese guy called George.

A close knit brotherhood is very important to him and is in his very nature as a moon kitty.

RE: Keepers of the Moon lore? - Knight Kat - 05-29-2014

(05-29-2014, 12:55 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: There is precious little lore to speak of, beyond the fact that they are Matriarchal and tend to live in groupings of a few families. Some Keepers in the Shroud have had various run-ins with the Wood Wailers (as some of them may or may not be poachers) and the Ixal. Aside from that, I think most Keeper RPers pretty much agree that any differences in players' interpretation of what little lore does exist go straight into the "well, in my clan we.." bucket.

There's a very old thread in which Keeper roleplayers shared details about their characters' clans, here. Hope this helps!

I would like to point out that the link TheLastCandle gave you is a good example of how different players interpret the possibilities of how Keeper groups could be run, but it is -way- outdated. Also, all of it is pretty much entirely player-made.

I assume you've read the Keeper lore here?
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Miqo%27te

This is also a helpful video on Miqo'te lore, and does have some interesting little tidbits about Keepers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-P3vV6z4Jg

((Warning! Info below contains minor spoilers about the Archery quest line.))

In-game example of Keeper groups would be the Coeurlclaw Poachers, Raptor Poachers and Pawah Majuuk's group that you learn a bit about in the Archery quest line. The Archery quest line has a lot of little hints about Keeper lore such as a hint that short-bow archery is time-honored tradition for Keepers, some Gridanian people (likely some Wildwood Elezen) think of Keepers as "savages" which suggests a disdain for some kind of lifestyle. Some Keepers have an interesting accent while some do not. Wood Wailers are brutally harsh on poachers, and there is one Keeper NPC in one quest that says she was poaching to feed her starving family. I took screen shots of pretty much all the dialogue from the archery quest line so I can prove everything I have written.

While I don't remember if the lore specifically states that Keepers are only traditionally found in the Black Shroud, that is highly likely the case since the vast majority of Keeper NPCs are found in Black Shroud and Gridania. South Shroud is a place with a lot of Keeper poachers, and where most of the archery quest line takes place. East Shroud has another small poacher group called the Raptors.

However, it is hinted that not all traditional Keepers are poachers. Leih Alipoh of the Archer's guild is said to not be a Gridanian at birth. She mentions growing up in a small farming village where she learned a traditional family archery.

It should also be noted that there are plenty of Keepers in the ranks of the Wood Wailers and Twin Adder. However, they do not seem to follow any Keeper traditions, but rather, they do follow Gridanian traditions.