Hydaelyn Role-Players
Second Hand Faith [Complete] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Second Hand Faith [Complete] (/showthread.php?tid=7280)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Second Hand Faith - Roen - 07-29-2014

Roen stared up at the dark stony ceiling of her cell, one arm draped over her head. The room was dimly lit, and it reflected her thoughts.

How many suns has it been since she'd turned herself in? A week? Suns were already starting to blend into each other. At least she had the singular window in her cell to mark the passage of days; that and the vase of wildflowers that Ser Crofte had brought lent a little brightness to her small cell. A blanket and pillows, parchment to write with, a lamp to lend extra light... all small comforts afforded by the Sultansworn to try and make her incarceration somewhat bearable.

It was barely that. The small walled cell sometimes felt as though it encased her like a vise. Askier had noted it within seconds of entering her cell. It took her a few bells, before the dark walls started to feel closer and the room lacking air. When had she become claustrophobic?

It was that cursed boat, she thought bitterly.

Roen took to her meditations like bee to honey. She had meditated most suns for bells on end, to try and clear her thoughts, to dismiss that heaviness that wanted to crush her chest and shatter her composure. Numerous visitors had brought comfort and welcomed distraction too. Hornet had brought her things from Noscea, just personal trinkets and changes in clothing. But she too immediately felt uncomfortable standing within the prison. Her obvious disgust for the place was worn plainly on the Roegadyn's face.

Verad Bellveil, however, brought something Roen did not expect. A gift of levity. He charged in with falsified papers demanding to be put in the gaols, only to be refused. He shared his not-so-sane plan with Roen after the fact, that he had hoped to break her out from within. But the Sworn's refusal to arrest the man on fabricated charges foiled it, and for that Roen was grateful. And... perhaps amused. Their talks were always something that lent brightness to her day and left her with a small, lingering smile. The eccentric elezen seemed to have a special talent for it where she was concerned. He departed with a promise to send her a copy of his highly scandalous memoir to pass the time.

Then there was Askier. With the golden-eyed Miqo'te, there was always that sense of stark honesty between them, because they both knew the truth of what had happened aboard that boat, and the darkness they had suffered there. It brought about bouts of sadness, but also a measure of freedom in their honesty towards each other. He whispered his promise, but also slipped her a ceruleum grenade hidden in his sleeve, in their farewell.

If she had been quicker in thought, Roen would have gotten Kage to smuggle it back out when he visited her next. But so excited was she when she recalled that the smuggler named Shaelen could potentially clear Gharen of the involvement in the ceruleum theft, that she had completely forgotten about the grenade she had hastily shoved under her pillow.

And she dared not share it with Crofte, who may have been duty bound to report it. She could share it with no Sworn. Not even Natalie, who had recklessly stolen Roen from of her cell by sneaking in a courtesan who uncannily bore a face that could have belonged to her sister, all just for an hour's lunch.

But the grenade was still in her keeping. Hidden, rolled up in a tunic in her sack, but still there, so she was immediately grateful when Delial unexpectedly came to visit. The woman was obviously not pleased with her decision or her situation, but did not press the issue for long. Instead, Roen asked her to sneak out a special package that Askier had left with her, and the Highlander woman immediately understood.

Only after the grenade was disposed of did Roen confess it to Crofte, along with the courtesan who came for a visit. The Sultansworn seemed to gain new lines above her brows with the news, but she bore it stoically.

But after the events of today, Roen began to see genuine concern and perhaps even doubt in the Sworn's eyes.

Roen frowned as she still felt some lingering aftereffects of the somnus she nearly overdosed on. She was told a potent dose had been hidden in the sweet water that Kage had brought her. She did not recall all of the events clearly, but knew that there was a surprise search of her room while she was trying to stay conscious, and vials of Garlean made aether poison, as declared by the heavily armored Sworn who conducted the search, were discovered hidden in her pillow case. Crofte immediately argued that it was planted, but Roen could not remember any other visitors. She wondered how long she had been asleep after her drugged state.

Immediate suspicion fell to the Sworn who conducted the search; Ser Besten was his name, and he proclaimed that his orders came from his superior. He also then implied that his superior had Monetarist ties and knew Taeros.

This all seemed to fall back to Taeros, the Monetarists investigator that started the Mines inquiry in the first place; the same man with ties to the Garlean woman, Banurein. Roen frowned, trying to make sense of things. He had his own motivations, as Gharen noted, but none seemed to know what they were.

But if he was working for Banurein, one constant had been that the mysterious Garlean woman had wanted Roen to return home to Garlemald. But with this potentially fatal dose of somnus in her waterskin, that no longer seemed to be her agenda. What had changed?

The fact that Kiht had known this Banurein woman for a long time came as a complete surprise. Her longtime Moon Keeper friend had come for a visit, and just in time, to discover Roen's groggy, drugged state. Once again, Roen owed her a debt, for with her help, along with that of Ser Crofte and Natalie, the antidote was administered in time and only thing Roen suffered now was a bit of a headache and some hazy memory of the last few bells. But that mattered not to Kiht. The sorrow and guilt she bore on her face when she confessed of the knowledge of the Garlean woman had taken Roen aback. Of all people, she would have never guessed that Kiht would have been in contact with the woman who captured and tortured her brother.

Banurein was also likely responsible for getting Natalie, Kage and herself suspended from the Order. And even blackmailing Natalie into luring out Gharen. Now things were starting to make sense. Why would the Syndicate really care for her brother? For a few destroyed properties? For gil? Nay. Banurein wanted him back. This Delial warned her and Gharen. And she used Taeros to bait him back out.

Perhaps this somnus was also a trap then. Roen knew, if she had overdosed on somnus, possibly died within the gaols, the news would reach her brother. It would bring him back to Ul’Dah, looking for retribution. It may even rekindle that rage within him that Roen knew he had worked so hard to calm--a rage that Banurein wanted to unleash for unfathomable reasons.

Roen clenched her fists. She was tired. She was tired of being beaten. Kidnapped. Poisoned. Tired of being used as a lure for her brother. She was tired of the sleepless nights. Tired of the nightmares. Tired of feeling so helpless. She had turned herself in to the Sultansworns with hope finding a new bloom in her heart. But now laying here, that delicate bloom was threatening to wither. Had she made a mistake? Was she wrong to trust Ser Crofte and the system she so stoutly represented? She could not say.

Roen closed her eyes. At least her brother was safe, and Hornet too. But sitting here in the gaols, it made her an easy pawn still. Of this Gharen warned her. He had promised her not to let them use her, but … she was starting to have doubts about his resolve after seeing their methods.

She sat up straight in her bed, a new resolve set in her narrowed eyes. Her fate had been given willingly over to the Sultansworns, and she would abide by it. But she would not simply sit here and be bait. A pawn. A victim. There were still pieces to this puzzle that did not quite fit, but she had a nagging feeling in the back of her mind that there was a missing a key, and she just needed to figure out what it was.

Roen took a deep breath in, but rather than taking her seated meditative pose, she stood and began to practice her forms--the ones Qaeli had taught her in those final days of her escape in Noscea. She no longer felt the need to clear her thoughts and calm her mind. She needed to get ready for whatever was coming.

RE: Second Hand Faith - Coatleque - 08-01-2014

Coatleque stood casually in the Ruby Exchange, fanning herself from the heat. She was thankful to not be on duty today. And even though she had a reprieve from her uniform, the heavy dress she wore in its place trapped just as much heat against her. The sun was just now setting. She hoped for at least some reprieve soon.

A man approached her then, wearing all white as she was. He seemed to recognize her from afar. His shoes fell lightly on the stone road and his feathered hat bobbed with every step. Stopping just before her he bowed courteously.

"Ser Crofte.", he said with a smile.
"Master Taeros, I presume.", she replied with her own flourish.
"I received a missive that... you want to take me up on that drink finally."
"Want is not the word I would have used."
"But yes, I believe we should speak.", he said with another smile. "It has been far too long. Captain Jenlyns has told me about you long ago."
"Do not presume that you know me, Master Taeros."
"Forgive my rudeness. I should have made your acquaintance long before today.", he said, his smile never seeming to leave his face. "Come now. Come, come. Let us relax over a drink, hmm? Perhaps the airport lounge?"
"As you would, Ser."
He nodded and turned about. She followed him to the lift as they continued on.

"Such a quaint place, this. Quiet. Don't you agree?"
"I do, Ser.", she replied curtly.
He slowly led her across the lounge to the seating area by the bar. Pulling her seat out from the table he turned to her.
"Lady first."
She thanked him as she sat and scooted the chair forward. He moved to the other side of the table and also sat. Folding his hands in front of him, he smiled at her then gestured to the bar tender for two glasses.
"I will have him prepare us my favorite."
"As you see fit, Ser. Though I do not drink usually."
His hand waved her off dismissively. "It is my philosophy that we all need to relax now and then. Our jobs and duties often waste our day."
"Perhaps your job, Master Taeros. Mine is hardly a waste of my time."
He smirked.
"Indeed. Even I would hold your job as loftier than mine. Protecting the life of the Sultana and all."
"And that is why I asked you to meet with me. I assume you trust the life of Her Grace in my hands, Ser?"

His hand raised momentarily as if to request pause and she nodded lightly. Jameson arose and walked to the bar. Nodding to the tender he left the required gil and returned with two glasses. One he sent in front of her, the other he set before himself as he retook his seat.
"Thank you.", she said as she swirled the contents of the glass before her.
"Why would I not trust you? Or all of the Sworn for that matter? You all swore the oath to protect our Grace."
"That is my same question to you, Ser. What is your interest in my ward?"
He paused.
"You are full aware that this investigation was given over to me."
"I trust you speak of Deneith."

She took a small sip of her drink. It was the most pungent, awful thing she ever tasted. She thought of spitting it back out but instead swallowed and did her best not to show her disgust.

"I do. And what is this called?"
"Ah! That.", he remarked with the same smile. "Sandsnake. Made from the venom of sandworms I believe. Potent thing."
"I trust you are not attempting to poison me, Master Taeros. T'would hardly be proper for our first true meeting."
His smile seemed to grow slowly wider still, as if he knew the game she was playing. He lifted his own glass and took a sip, his eyes never leaving her. He returned the glass to the table gently. "Distilled, it brings out a dark but subtle flavor and loses the poison." His hand remained on the glass.

"Back to business then. Why was my ward targeted by your thug?"
He arched a brow at her. "My thug?"
"You needn't keep up pretenses, Ser. I know you ordered the inspection. You received my report and did not like it. So you had him return to plant false evidence."
He nodded slowly as she spoke.
"Ah yes. I did get that report. Thank you for the courtesy." He shrugged. "I did spy a Grimsong visiting her dungeon. I merely suggested that they be watched carefully."
Coatleque lightly sipped at her drink once more before returning the glass to the table. "Mm."
"If they took that as to searching the place, well... I think that was cautiously wise, don't you think? Considering Grimsong's history with the girl."
"Searched? Her cell resembled a war zone."
His other brow now raised as well.
"I understood you took over the search."
"The first one, yes. What of the second, after my initial report?"

He blinked once. It was the only crack in his otherwise impeccable facade.
"Second?"
"I am not a fool, Master Taeros."
"Perhaps not. I suspect you show indulgence and favoritism to the prisoner."
"I am her advocate. T'is my job to show her favoritism. You were not pleased that it was I who filed the inspection report. Your same man returned and said so himself. That it was his own neck on the line if he failed to deliver the second time."
"... My man. Hm. Yes. Just who was it that inspected the cell?"
"Ser Besten."
He eyed her steadily before reaching for his drink taking an indulgent sip from it. She also lifted her glass, swirling the contents before taking another sip, albeit a slightly larger one than before.
"Besten, I see." He set his drink back down and smiled once more.
"And this Ser Besten said that I sent him?"
Her eyes narrowed as she watched him, looking for any signs of a lie or cover up. He maintained his smile but his eyes were intent. They never lifted the same time his lips did.
"I will not be another pawn in whatever political game you are playing."
"A bit of an obvious power-play, don't you think?"
"Explain?"
"She is clearly your ward. Under your care. But I had every right to voice my concern when a Garlean sympathizer visits an accused Garlean spy. It led to a search, I find that perfectly reasonable. Even Jenlyns could not argue. But after nothing was found? What? I send someone again to search her room? Don't tell me. this time... something was found?"
"Indeed."
"Of course it was."
"I am not questioning your search warrant, Ser. Ser Besten was to make the report to you directly. You did not hear of this?"
He leaned foward towards her.
"Ser Crofte. Let me make this clear. I did not send Ser Besten. Not personally. I voiced to a Sworn that a Garlean sympathizer was visiting a potential spy. That is all."

There was a pause. She swirled her glass around on the table once more as she watched the contents lap at the sides of the cup. "So you are also unawares of the attempt on her life?"
He blinked at her once more, though his expression did not change.
"I take it she still lives."
"Thankfully. I arrived in time, as well as Ser Mcbeef. Poisoned. A lethal somnus overdose in her water.", she replied as she took another sip and set the glass down once more.
"Hm."
The man paused, letting the news sink in as he pondered the implications quietly to himself.
"So, you think I tried to kill her."
"I think many things, Master Taeros. The evidence is pointing a certain direction. What I can't seem to figure out though, is why you would want to?"
"Indeed, Ser Crofte. Why would I?", he said as he leaned back. "I am the one that gave Natalie the evidence. If I wanted the girl convicted, why even bother?"
"Aye, after she delivered the girl's brother into your hands."
He shrugged casually.
"A high-value target. One you no longer possess."
"It was at my employer's behest. And it seems he was broken out. Of a Blade prison no less."
"Yes, I heard of that. Nasty business, aye?"
"But guarding a prisoner already caught is not my responsibility."
"Except now you have the only true leverage against him sitting in my care. Just beyond your reach."
She quirked an eyebrow at him.
"Mm. Ah, you see the link do you?"
"As I said. I am no fool, Master Taeros."
"Indeed. Deneith would be a good bait. She always was. For Wolfsong."

He smiled at her then his eyes seemd to drift beyond her momentarily. The Knight watched him and suddenly felt as if she was being watched from behind. An uneasy feeling settled over her as she eyed her own drink.
"Ah! Natalie."

(tbc)

Jameson smiled at Natalie. That same emotionless grin he had been using all night. She returned it to him as best she could. "Oh? Interesting clothes for a business meeting, Ser Crofte." Natalie bowed courteously to Taeros. "Hello again Jameson."

"Mm... Indeed.", Coatleque replied flatly. Her stomach was already beginning to churn and she wasn't sure it was from the drink.

"Good to finally see you as a Sworn once more.", he remarked.
Natalie laughed. "If only all thought the same."
Jameson gave her an odd sort of grin.
"If only I could keep her in uniform", Coatleque quipped as she noticed the Miqo'te once again wearing her non-issued red and bronze hauberk. "I don't see you wearing plate either Ser.", she snapped back.

Coatleque considered retaliating once more. She was off duty after all. No, this was not a battle she cared to fight here and now. She held her tongue and cast her gaze back to Jameson across the table.

Natalie continued. "I need to speak to you as well. Should I wait for you to finish with beautiful over there, or should I pull up a chair?"
"But you were never the one for caring what others thought, hm?"
She winked at him. "People believe what I want them to believe."
Jameson tossed glances to both women. "More the merrier.", he said at length. "I suspect you are here for the same reason as she. to tell me I tried to kill your girl? Deneith?"
"Two reasons, actually. Let me handle the first one quickly."

With that she walked to the bar and promptly ordered a tankard of ale. Coatleque maintained her eye contact with Jameson as they waited. Her head tilted, she offered him a rather strained smile. He sighed. It was as if the two were feeling the same pain. Natalie returned a few moments later sipping her drink.

"As for the second, yes I do have some concerns. I thought we had somewhat of an understanding about Roen."
"We did, and we do, Natalie.", he replied sharply. "I was just reminding Ser Crofte that it was I that gave over the evidence to you, rather than having her arrested in the first place."
Natalie nodded. "Of course."
"She was foolish enough to turn herself in."
"So the inspection... was a political matter?"
"The first inspection, it was my doing. After all, I saw a Garlean sympathizer visiting a potential Garlean spy. No one seemed to be concerned about that but me. Ser Crofte... sent me a report."
"Fair enough, many would have had them detained as well. An inspection seems rather levelhanded of you."
"Then I heard nothing else until today. That there was another search, something found... and an attempt made on her life"

Coatleque sat quietly and listened to them go over everything once more. She swirled her drink once more before taking another sip. Natalie tapped her jaw. "A second search which you had nothing to do with?"

"I am but a cog in this wheel, Natalie. I play by the rules as much as it will allow me. First inspection, I had full justification. Second... Jenlyns would have been furious with me."
"I sometimes forget, you two go back quite a ways."
"He has been rather... vexed with me of late. It took much work for me to smooth things over again."
"Probably because he thought he was rid of me for good."
Jameson laughed at this notion.
"Imagine his consternation to find I was coming back."
"Indeed. He was vexed with me and yet... could not deny the cure you brought."
Natalie grinned. "You and I are like the scales of Nald'Thal, Jameson. We bring misery and fortune in equal amounts." She turned to her superior. "Ser Crofte, do you have some evidence that Jameson was part of the second inspection?"

She looked over to Natalie. "As I told him, the same man returned and said he was ordered to carry out the inspection himself the second time."
"Ser Besten. I should speak to this Sworn."
Natalie removed her beret. "I see no reason why Jameson would lie."
"Nor do I, if I must be honest."
He smiled once more as Natalie chuckled. "Excellent."
"Plus, if he really did want to kill Roen, he wouldn't be so ham-handed about it. Jameson never does any villainy he can't get away with."
"... You give me far too much credit, Natalie."
"Yes, I am sure the two of you are very well acquainted by now."
She laughed. "Well, I don't wear dresses to meet with him. So I imagine you're quite well acquainted as well."
He smiled at Coatleque then turned to regard the Miqo'te. "You should. It is quite flattering on the eye."
Coatleque blinked once and nodded politely towards Taeros, ignoring Natalie's comment.
"I wouldn't even know where to buy one.", she said as she took another drink. "Well... where are we to go from here? Jameson, you're not behind this, but something tells me you're interested in who is."
"Indeed."

(tbc)

There was another pause in the conversation as the three of them exchanged glances. Or maybe it was simply for dramatic effect as their words began to sink in. Only Coatleque knew for sure, and she wasn't about to break the silence.

"Someone is trying to kill your ward, and laying the blame on me. I am not pleased."
"But whom? You had mentioned a former employer to me before. Someone whom I assume was interested in her brother. You lost the target, as we spoke about. I would imagine this employer is not pleased."
"Mm. Well, I am not a very good employee if I divulge my employer's secrets now, am I? I would be out of a job very quickly."
She gazed at him with a slight smirk. "Master Taeros, has it occurred that you already are?"
Natalie tapped her jaw as she chimed in. "There is only room for so many puppet masters in Ul'dah. It's only natural they try to cut each others strings."

Jameson took up his glass and took another long sip of the red liquid. He held the glass there as he looked towards Coatleque with narrowing eyes. "Believe me, Ser Crofte, I would know it." He returned the glass to the table.

"How was the assassination attempted?"
"A high dose of Somnus was placed into a water skin Roen used. Enough to cause her body to fail."
"Somnus you say?"
Natalie nodded. "A very strong dose. I felt the effects from just a taste."
"Was there not some investigation about a Somnus dealer in Deneith's past? I have done quite the research on her. I've read it in her files."
Natalie nodded in agreement to him. "Though it never got very far. Certainly not far enough that they'd wish to take revenge."
"... Natalie, that investigation was started because someone tried to stab her in the middle of the street in broad daylight. Yes?"
"That..."
He gave her a knowing smile, clearly reading her astonishment.
"I have read her file extensively. Sordid history on that girl."
Coatleque gave him a slight glare at his comment. One he returned with his ever pleasant smile.

Natalie cleared her throat. "Ok, so let's level.", she began.
"Roen is Garlean, right? No shock there. Though she is Ala'Mhigan by birth, and was adopted. Apparently her father was some sort of big shot scientist guy and was not pleased that she deserted the empire, and embarrassed his family." She tapped her jaw. "So on one level he wants her back, but on the other level he seems equally happy to just silence her for good. I believe the one who stabbed her was related to her family, but it was never proven. Or if it was I am not privy to the information. While Roen's heritage was secret, it's possible her family was content to just ignore her. But I don't think they can handle the embarrassment of a second Cid." She shook her head. "If Roen is publicly Garlean, and serving Ul'dah, it's possible they'd rather just silence her."

Jameson sipped his drink languidly. Coatleque had almost forgotten about hers entirely at this point.
"A plausible theory.", he nodded.

"The last thing the Empire needs is for their conscripted soldiers to know they can find a place in Eorzea", she continued as she shrugged him off for now. "Most of them don't want this war any more than we do."

Coatleque turned her gaze to Natalie with an almost worried expression. "If that is the case, she will never be safe."
Natalie laughed. "She's a Sultansworn, Crofte. If she wanted to be safe, she picked the wrong job."
The Knight smirked at her comrade. Jameson regarded her over his own drink with a curious glance.

"Either way, I think this attack has little to do with local politics. If the Syndicate wanted her dead, a rigged trial would be all it would take." Coatleque turned back to Taeros. "After this night, I am inclined to agree. That still leaves the question, Master Taeros, of who would want to frame you? I doubt the Empire cares about what you do here."
"Indeed. But... given our history, I would be a likely suspect."
Natalie laughed. "Perhaps someone was jealous of your fashion sense?"
He ignored her comment and continued.
"I would like to speak to this Ser Besten."
"Perhaps I should as well, if you would desire my presence. He may speak more freely with another Sworn present. That is, if there are no objections of course." She glanced towards Natalie.
Jameson nodded in agreement. "He is a Sworn. No objections from me. Like I said, more the merrier."
"Well, I'll bow to your authority on if I should come along or not, Ser."

She thought for a moment before passing down the order. "I shall handle this, Ser Mcbeef. He and I have already butted heads over his orders. Too many and he may realize something is amiss. Though I shall certainly keep you informed."
Natalie smirked slightly as she bowed in deference. "As you command."

Coatleque turned back to Taeros for the moment. "He does report to you, does he not? I am sure you can arrange the meeting?"
"He does not. I know not this Ser Besten personally. I assumed someone was assigned once I voiced my concern."
"It seems there are too many assumptions being made lately. Very well, I shall find him."
"Indeed. I am quite interested to hear what he has to say."
"Well, I'll let you two be alone then. I can understand why Ser Crofte would want to be alone with you in that dress. Well, probably she won't be in it for long." With that, Natalie gave her a quick salute and turned to leave.
"That will do, Ser Mcbeef!"
Taeros laughed as the Knight shook her head slowly.

"One must love or hate her, yes?"
"Indeed. I swear I only retain my position so the Captain does not have to deal with her directly."
"Perhaps you may be right in that, Ser Crofte.", he replied as he finished his drink. Her own drink was barly half touched. She pushed the glass further towards the center of the table now.
"I believe our business is concluded for tonight, Master Taeros."
"Alas, I would love to indulge further here, but I must return to business as well."
"Aye, and it has been nigh near twenty and four bells... I have another meeting I must attend. Or a tongue to remove, we shall soon see."

They both rose from their seats and bowed in turn. "Has been a pleasure, Ser Crofte."
"Thank you for your hospitality, Ser. Twelve guide you."

RE: Second Hand Faith - Roen - 08-04-2014

Ser Samuel Besten grunted as he rolled out of bed, one hand yanking away the rumpled sheet that was tangled around his legs. A woman's soft moan behind him drew his attention back to the bed, where a naked woman still slept. She seemed to care not that the sheets were pulled away from her bare form, the warm Thalanan summer nights making it almost obligatory of late to shed clothing before bed.

And the fact that this was a brothel, well, it was mandatory.

Besten grumbled at the thought of donning his armor again. His last ten cycles of service to the Sultanate had left many old wounds, and the scars still ached now and again, especially when troubled thoughts brought tension to his muscles.

As he slipped into his undergarments, he spotted a small pouch that had fallen from one of his pockets to the floor. He swiped it up quickly, carefully examining it to make certain nothing had escaped the enclosure. “Half the pouch will allow a few bells before the effect sets in. Emptying the entire pouch should induce seizures and death within minutes.” Those precise instructions were spoken by the one who had placed it in his hands to dispense it.

Considering the circumstances, half the pouch was wise, and drugging the Deneith girl was easy enough. So was planting the vials. But he wondered where the vials had come from. He knew of the contents within, and that it was of Garlean make. It was not an easy thing to come by, concentrated aether poison. He’d seen it in Carteneau. It worked quickly and worked in most deadly ways against anyone with aether reserves.

But if Deneith was guilty, why go through the means of planting evidence? And drugging the girl? These were questions that he had not asked his contact. Not yet anyway. But she was an accused Garlean spy who had a Sultansworn defending her; Sergeant Crofte was advocating for her innocence. And from the look of things, the ex-Sworn may be acquitted if Ser Crofte continued to pursue this case with fervor as she had been.

The thought made Besten angry. Did not the Sergeant understand the countless number of lives that were lost in the battle against the Empire? How could she possibly advocate for any accused Garlean spy? She clearly had not suffered the losses he had to the Empire’s encroachment. His wife and children--all killed in the Calamity. And the fact that this spy was once accepted as one of their own... it burned his blood.

They should have asked me to snap her neck, he thought bitterly. Few would question him for it; fewer still would hate him for it. It would almost be worth the charges he would face. Would Crofte defend me as passionately? He knew the answer to that.

Ser Besten felt staunchly alone but vindicated in his righteous anger. There were others within the Order that detested all things from the Empire as much as he did. But when the girl turned herself in, many started to question their assumption of her guilt. Some snickered that she would not last suns in the gaols, but it has been two weeks and now it seemed that Ser Crofte and Ser Mcbeef’s due diligence in the matter was paying off. The system might actually exonerate Deneith. There were mutterings of how many disbelieved that the justice system would work at all. This was throwing doubts in their face like cold water to burning embers.

But none of them had the conviction to go through the lengths that he was willing, to do what was needed to eliminate yet another Garlean threat. Besten suspected Garleans have been infiltrating Eorzea for some time now, even within their highest ranks. Deneith only proved that the Sultanate was not immune. It would be up to him to drive out the Imperial influence, even if it meant he had to accept other influences to do so.

“Was that not what Ul’Dah was after all? A balanced scale of good and evil to keep things right?” Those were the words that still burned in his mind--the words that convinced him onto this path in the first place. He would do whatever it took to keep the Sultana safe, to stomp out any Imperial corruption within the Sultanate. Even if it meant treachery.

He had just finished buckling his gauntlets when the knock came at the door. The woman on the bed sat up rubbing her eyes. “Are you expecting someone, Sam? You have me for the whole night.” She yawned lazily, not bothering to pull the blanket over her exposed body even as he went to open the door.

A cloaked man stood at the entryway, and he lifted his gaze just enough to meet Samuel's. He held up a badge, one bearing a red gryphon, wings raised against a field of argent. Samuel's eyes widened, recognizing it immediately.

“We should talk,” emerged a gravelly voice from beneath the hood as he lowered his head. Samuel could only see the well trimmed beard that wrapped around the man's chin. He thought he could see a smirk.

Samuel nodded as he glanced back to the woman on the bed. “I need to go,” he simply said, even as she was arching to get a better look at the man at the door. The hooded man did not seem to care for the naked woman on plain display in the room as he turned and disappeared around the corner. Besten hurriedly grabbed his sword and shield and followed him out, mumbling something about the Immortal Flames.

That was the last time that the woman saw Ser Besten alive. His lifeless body was found suns later, half buried in the dirt just outside of Drybone, his abdomen gutted and opened to the sun.

RE: Second Hand Faith - Roen - 08-08-2014

“Acquittal?”

Captain Jenlyns Straightblade arched a brow, looking up from the document in his hand to the woman who handed it to him. Ser Crofte stood at attention, posture rigid, professional; her hands were tucked behind her, her eyes staring straight ahead. When the Captain posed his question, her green eyes lowered to meet his. She nodded firmly.

“Aye. Ser,” she said with certainty. “In light of Ser Deneith’s exemplary record, it would be a travesty to believe the accusations of one ex-spy without further evidence.” She stepped forward, nodding to indicate the pile of papers she had just laid out before him. “Especially when it is painfully clear that Ser Deneith is loyal to the City-state. She may be Garlean in her mind, but she is certainly Eorzean in her heart.”

Jenlyns noted the confidence in both her tone and posture as she spoke. It was something that he had not seen before, since her promotion into her current ranking. He smiled inwardly and tapped the parchments together. “And what of the testimony of the ex-Garlean spy?”

“Recanted. Ser. Kage Kiryuu conducted the interview and is processing the corrected testimony.”

Jenlyns pinched the bridge of his nose. “He was an unreliable witness all along.”

“Indeed, ser.”

“And what of the aether poison found in her cell? The one that was of Garlean make?” He had already read her report on the matter, but he wanted to hear it from her in person. The Captain regarded the woman carefully.

“As you know, ser, Ser Besten was found murdered. While it is a shame that one of our own was lost, and the investigation into his death is still ongoing, it does throw a suspicious light onto his involvement in Deneith’s case.” She narrowed her eyes in thought. “Were it just the poison that was found, it would put Ser Deneith’s innocence in a poor light, but she was also poisoned with a near-fatal dose of somnus. Someone clearly wanted her dead, ser.”

“Hm.” Jenlyns leaned back against his heavy chair, fingers steepled. “And we do not know who.”

Ser Crofte shook her head, but did not waver in her argument. “I consider that a separate matter, and one that should not have any bearing on Ser Deneith’s innocence. She has only cooperated with me since she surrendered herself, and I believe her, ser. I will give my own testimony to her behavior, her character, and my own belief of her innocence. I also have listed the names of others who are willing to do the same.”

The Captain looked at the document on his desk for a long time, his brows furrowed in thought.

“If I may… ser.” The Highlander woman broke the silence. “After this Jin’li disaster and the attempt on the Sultana’s life, you know me to be loyal to her Grace. I would give my life for her. I believe Ser Deneith to be of the same heart. She helped Mergrey infiltrate a Castrum to retrieve the device that held us captive to that madman’s whims. I would trust the Sultana’s life to my ward without fail.”

Jenlyns let out a long exhale, casting an expectant look on her. “Your recommendations?”

Ser Crofte straightened again in attention, her chin lifted. “With the recanting of Cicero’s statement of the conspiracy at the mines, and with the addition of Shaelen Stormchild’s testimony that Gharen Wolfsong was also unaware of the ceruleum theft, I recommend that the accusations of conspiracy be stricken from the records of the three Sultansworns involved, and their suspensions lifted. And exoneration of Ser Deneith from the accusations of being a Garlean spy.”

“Bold.” Jenlyns considered that, letting the silence fall between them. The Highlander woman waited patiently in attention, but her countenance remained calm. Almost undaunted. She is growing into her role. “Granted,” he said finally.

Crofte’s expression broke into a bright grin, before she quickly cleared her throat and subdued her obvious joy of triumph.

“Good work, Crofte.” He tapped a finger on the documents. “I am going to keep Mcbeef under your command.” When she gave him an odd look in question, he answered back with a wry expression of his own. “You two made a good team for once. And…” He could not hide the amusement in his tone. “She can submit her reports to you now.” When it looked like she wanted to say something, he continued. “Having someone under your command will make you think of their welfare, and their actions will also reflect upon you. It lends a new perspective on things, Crofte.” He knew this was the next appropriate step for her own growth.

“Dismissed,” Jenlyns said as he returned to whatever random paper that was in front of him. But as she saluted and pivoted for the door, he looked back up to the woman. “And file the report regarding Wolfsong with the Immortal Flames as well. I suppose he is no longer a wanted man either. I will inform Taeros.” Jenlyns furrowed his brows at the thought. “Also inform the Blades. Kiryuu and Deneith are both welcome to return to duty when able.”

“Yes, ser.” Crofte turned and saluted again before ducking out of his office.