Hydaelyn Role-Players
Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] (/showthread.php?tid=7390)

Pages: 1 2 3

Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 06-17-2014

FIRST THE OOC!
I'm using this thread to document some random RP interactions that Coatleque has while on duty around the city. Understand that some conversations may be embellished slightly based on my own memory of the event. I will try not to post interactions here that are directly related to other story arcs. This is just for the more interesting one-time encounters!

That being said, anyone who interacts with Coatleque and wants to post their own retelling, please feel free.
~END OOC~

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 06-17-2014

Hot air blew against her face as the Knight exited the Quicksand. She sighed and looked up to the clear night sky over the Gate of Nald. These nights were the worst. Stepping forward she leaned over the railing and gazed down towards the fountain, wishing she could just dive in if even for a moment. Then, the sound of drunken laughter behind shook her thoughts back to reality.

Surveying the street it looked like the night would be quiet at least. The Chocobos at the stable quietly preened themselves as the porter leaned back in his chair against the lantern pole, dozing. A few straggling adventurers ran by, no doubt trying to make it to the last few markets to close their doors.

Coatleque shook her head. "Face of the Sworn indeed..." she muttered to herself. "Best get to it."

She rolled her shoulders in an attempt to shrug off the heat while adjusting the heavy spaulders before continuing on her way. Down the steps, to the left, it was the same circuit every night. Continuing down the road along the right side, a Brass Blade made his own patrol. Deciding it best not to invite his taunting, she turned on her heel to the left and took a few steps to the Ruby Exchange. She settled on the corner for her next observation point and stood at parade-rest with her hands upon her hips. Her tension was eased at least when the Blade across the street made an about-face and continued his way back up the road.

Standing under the lantern on the corner did not offer much reprieve, and soon she could feel beads of sweat forming upon her brow. Still, she remained vigilant and watched the few people who passed with as much interest as she could muster even as a tall Roegadyn woman in yellow casually swayed back-and-forth at the boulevard's center divide. Traffic being light at that hour, it didn't take long for the courtesan to saunter her way over to the Knight.

"Well hello, beautiful. Looking for a good time?", she said slyly. The woman's voice had a deep, sultry tone of one who had much experience beguiling others.

Not quite sure how to react to the woman's brazen attempt to seduce an active Sultansworn, Coatleque merely blinked at her. "I'm sorry, are you speaking to me?"

She laughed. "Well, I don't see anyone else here right now. Do you?"

The knight remained silent and simply looked away, scanning the road as was her duty. After a few moments of awkward silence, the woman tried again to ply her trade. Leaning a bit closer she intoned, "So... are you on... patrol or something?" The Knight straightened up, still looking out over the road, "Aye. I am indeed. We must needs stay vigilant and let our presence be known to the populace. The Blades are not the only power in this city."

The woman leaned even closer, now to the point of being uncomfortable. "Well... when you get off-duty, perhaps you'll remember me tonight." It may have been the woman's persistence, or perhaps her own past, but the words cut the Knight deep as she could feel nothing but sorrowful for her. Using all her strength to keep her composure, Coatleque shied away to gain some space and looked towards her, firmly replying "I'm sorry Ma'am. I'm not interested..."

Her look of both rejection and defeat was too much.

"Look... I... I'm sorry. But someone in my position just could not afford to be implicated in this sort of transaction. Please understand. I have to move on now, but... if anyone... ANYONE, harasses you, you find me. Understood?"

Towering Falcon seemed to look much more at ease with the Knight's words. "Well, good luck to you. Stay safe.", she replied. "And... thank you."

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 06-20-2014

Coatleque sat quietly in the small room. The dim light of a single lantern on the desk sent shadows dancing around the bookshelf-lined walls. It was cramped. Small, tight, more like a storage closet. She didn't know why they even bothered. This was the office she was afforded with her recent uplift of station. At least it was cool. With not even a window available, the room had the stagnant feel of a library's basement.

The flimsy wooden chair creaked as she leaned forward over the desk. It was already stressed enough with age, let alone the weight of her armor. Looking over the blank parchments before her she took the quill from its well on the far corner and began her first week's report...

Day 1, 6th evening bell,
- No report

Day 1, 9th evening bell,
- Forced to draw blade on would be assassin to protect girl in Quicksand. Suspect fled when confronted

Day 1, 11th evening bell,
- Publicly accused by prior suspect and victim both of ordering said contract. Suspect, Ishgardian, would not cooperate in joint investigation. No further leads at this time

Day 2, 9th evening bell,
- Found vagrant harassing pregnant woman in Quicksand. Stepped into assist woman and both quit the scene.

Day 2, 10th evening bell,
- Interesting conversation with Lady Hornet. May need to adjust public strategy going forward.

Day 3, 8th evening bell,
- Observed person of interest, Kage Kiryuu, from distance at Quicksand. Questioned one Miss Whiteraven of his general character. Did not pursue, as ordered not to.

Day 4, 6th evening bell,
- Met with person of interest, Master Krell, regarding matters of security. Must follow-up on lead, "Ruru". Possible free-paladin, or paladin-in-training. Also a Roegadyn and Hyur woman collaborating in Pearl Lane.

Day 4, 8th evening bell,
- Joint guard with Ser Castille in Quicksand. Observed lover's quarrel but did not get involved. Ser Castille reacted first.

Day 4, 11th evening bell,
- No report

Looking back over her words, she frowned. "What am I doing here?" she signed to herself. This isn't what she signed up for. Intrigue and investigative work? She was a Knight, trusted to stand at the side of the Sultana herself with blade in hand! Not some inspector! Dropping the paper and leaning back the chair creaked loudly again, almost cracking one of the rear spindles. Tomorrow was lightsday. Her one and only night of reprieve under her new duties. She was beginning to regret having signed up for outside work.

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 06-21-2014

The sun was barely halfway through the sky before the Knight had taken to her duties once more. She had slept deeper this last night than most before it, to her relief. It may have been the pumpkin ale, or that stew she had for dinner, but either way her dreams were welcomed. She wore her standard uniform today, not caring for the attention of her Sergeant's tabbard again so soon. Standing at the corner of the Ruby Exchange in full white and silver at noon must have been a hard thing for others to look at. Nobody would meet her gaze today. It felt... unwelcoming.

Her stirred from this muse by a voice from above.
"Just...standing around? Really? Really!"

She turned and lookd to the ledge above to find a man clad in leather. He wore a well-kept black beard and half of his face was concealed by the familiar fly-eye mask of the Blades. That alone was reason not to trust him.
"Apparently, it's what I do best." she replied with a tilt of her head.

"Well...you do know that you're just a deterrent like that, right?", he continued. "The scum'll just shift down an avenue."

The Knight sighed and surveyed the road once more. "That's why I move. Like a farmer places his scare-crows. Eventually the birds get used to them."

The man shrugged. "Eh. If you're just lookin' to make the place shine in the right place and the right time, mayhap that's best."

"I'm not looking for anything, Ser. I am merely following orders. But since you have such interest, did you need something?"

The man looked up from his position and checked the street.
"Aye. A loan."

Coatleque stared at him in temporary disbelief. Was he drunk? Why was he even up there?
"Do I look like a money lender?", she replied curtly.

He looked back to her with a rather serious expression.
"No. You look like Ser Crofte, whom, if I've heard correctly, is Jenlyn's new favorite. And I... need loan of a 'sworn."

Something was not right here. He seemed to know much of her, but she knew nothing of him.
"Well then... it appears you have quite the advantage over me. I would know who you serve before loaning such service."

At this the man deftly dropped from the ledge in front of her. A good twelve feet from above, he landed with grace that any feline would envy. Dusting himself off, he gestured to his Flame jerkin with a flourish. "By the Twelve, I do believe I serve the Hall. That or I stole some man's leathers in his sleep!"

"Or that you've fashioned a suitable replica, no doubt. But this still leaves me at the same disadvantage, Ser..."

To this he promptly saluted her as was custom to any Immortal Flame. "Chief Flame Sergeant Osric Melkire, under First Lieutenant Peak, under Commander Swift. At y'service, m'lady. And as I live, I'll serve!"

She blinked. So this was the Chief Melkire. He seemed smaller than she'd thought he would. And perhaps not as well kept as she imagined.
"Ah, so you are this Chief Melkire I've heard of."

"...eh? Not bad things, I hope."

Shaking her head, the knight crossed her arms and looked him over again.
"Quite the opposite. I know that you've worked with, and not against, the Sworn in the past. And that is enough for me to give you the requested loan. I do believe we may have traded words once before. If that was you in the Quicksand, then I apologize for my abruptness."

The man snorted and crossed his arms as well. He seemed to be sizing her up just the same, judging whether she could be trusted.
"No offense taken. I was just shocked that there were more of you out and about outside the palace. Lannis had given me a... different impression."

"Leaving the palace is of a more recent order, if you must know."
He grunted.
"So... you don't even want to know what this loan is for first?"

"I had assumed your loan request was to serve the interests of the Flame General, or her Grace. But now you've raised my curiosities. Pray tell you have nothing... dubious in mind."

He walked past her a step, looking out to the exchange, making sure nobody was close enough to hear.
"...I need men and women enough to bring a Garlean scag to justice for poisoning innocents, to rout out a certain corrupt inspector, and to bring Roen Deneith home"

The Knight paused at hearing Roen's name. She was one of the three, and her orders were not to involve herself in that affair.
"Now that is quite the task. Though I've been ordered not to be involved with the name you mentioned. If you can... change those orders, I would lend you my aid, for Ul'dah."

The man did not flinch. He belied no reaction at all. She waited, almost hoping he really could affect her orders, though she couldn't imagine why she would want that. He did not turn to face her.
"The name you've been ordered to not be involved with has been turned on by [i]another[i] name you've likely been ordered not to be involved with; Which, despite your orders, you have already been." He paused, letting his words carry weight. "Quicksand? Roughly this time last sun?"

She knew it alright. But that was a simple bar fight and she chose to step in to the defense of a Brass Blade no less.
"That disturbance?"

"Unrelated. I bring it up to make a point."

"Point taken."

Finally he turned to face her once again. He almost appeared to show genuine concern.
"You want a shining lamp to cast the shadows in relief? You want reform in the Blades? This is how we get it done. By bringing Deneith home."

"I was not aware she was away. What would you have me do then?"

"Free paladins."
He paused.
"Some are bound by oath to answer the Hall's call. Others aren't. I need every one I can get to bring down the Crimson Mountain. As for the Garlean..." He looked away once more. "I'll be filing my report shortly with the Hall."

Coatleque looked out towards the Exchange in thought. Who could she find? Who did she even know? She was still green and she knew it. Remembering her conversation with Lady Hornet a few nights prior, she decided to put the tactic to use. Appearance... yes, it was all about the appearance.
"Several names come to mind, though it will take time for me to contact them. When do you plan to strike, so that we may be ready?"

Turning back to her again,

"For Deneith? We storm the 'Mountain' at a moment's notice - aye, the sooner the better. For the Garlean? Three sun's time. I'm to meet him in person. 'Alone,' was the arrangement."

She straightened herself back to attention, as if given a new mandate.
"Understood. I shall do what I can in such little time as I have, but I would ask one favor in return."

"Name it."

"Information on the name 'Ruru'. Possible Lalafell, may be involved in matters of Ul'dahn security."

"...I've heard the name, though I don't know'm. Let me check in with my contacts that do. Might take a sun."

"My thanks."

Osric nodded all the while digging his hand through a pouch on his belt. He brings out a little green linkpearl.
"One last thing. I don't trust the official channel anymore. Your predecessor was a little too... open... with it."

"Oh. Right. Her."
He held out the marble
"Aye. This one goes with m'personal shell."

"I shall be sure to make use of it over the former then.", she said as she affixed the pearl.

"Ser..." he said with a final salute, and before she could respond he was halfway up the Exchange.

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 06-23-2014

(( Edit: I need to clarify here... this did actually happen, entirely in character. I hope I was able to transfer the shear confusion over to this post. It was extremely fun, very chaotic, and completely fit the mood of the night. Whether Otto and Witchbane new it or not, they were holding Coatleque back from official business that night. ))
----------------------

Coatleque stood in the Quicksand, once again. Her back was to the front door as she listened to the three drone on in front of her, barely paying attention at this point. Something about pants... and possible coitus? It would have been amusing if not for the events already in motion this night. The bodyguard continued to argue, doing what she could to pressure the two to leave. Finally they began to relent as it was clear this discussion was not welcome around paying customers.

The girl, a blonde hyur, grumbled to herself with remarks of thieving merchants. "Fine! Outside it is then. If I'm not there in then minutes, start without me!". With that she crossed her arms in a pout and turned her back to continue her interrupted conversation with the man next to her.

The other man, bald, bearded, and half naked, stood there angrily tapping his foot and fuming at the guard. He pointed to her several times making his accusations. "You are coming with us!", he demanded.

The armored woman calmly shook her head now and grunted. "Not my jurisdiction." Pointing then to the Knight she said "Hers."

The man snapped back "Well, we'll just see about that tomorrow once I've consorted with Momodi!". With that he turned on his heels, and giving the Knight a scowl, continued out the door with a 'come hither' gesture. She watched him leave then turned back to the guard with her own scowl at having this dropped into her lap so suddenly. To make matters worse, the woman took up her harp witch had been cast aside, and began singing about bale merchants losing their wits (and their pants), while forced to walk like the poor do.

Still within earshot, the man came storming back. "You! Apprehend her, this instant!". The woman stopped her singing to laugh at the man. "Back already? Please... at least finish dressing yourself before you harass me again!". At this, his face turned three more shades of red within moments.

The Knight finally decided to speak up and defuse this situation. "Ma'am, please? I just need you to step outside for a moment so I can hear both sides of this."

The woman herself fumed, but set her harp down and made for the door. The man was close behind, with the Knight following after. The hot air of Thanalan's night did nothing to help tempers. As the three stood around the fountain, Coatleque quickly assessed the situation, then began her investigation. "Calmly now, please... I would like to hear the girl's side of these events. Ma'am, he claims you stole his... erm, pants?"

"And shoes! Together worth more than what most people in this city consdier a month's wage!"

"Ah... yes, and his shoes?"

"They were made by me in particular, too! She already admitted to selling my pants earlier, and as you can see she is wearing shoes too large for her own feet!"

The Knight sighed at his persistence and glanced down. Sure enough the woman was wearing what could only be a man's sized shoe.

"What more do you want to know? You see the evidence for yourself, Knight! Would you like to also investigate the depths of how she insulted me? Or how she impersonated a member of the Maelstrom? The men and women who mirror your selfsame status in Limsa Lominsa? Or perhaps I should explain how she left me... ME... in the middle of Thanalan!?"

Coatleque looked at the man incredulously. What was she doing here. How did she possibly get tangled in this, on tonight of all nights?
"Please, Ser, I would like her to speak. I believe you, verily, but your story may be colored by your anger right now."

"Indeed. She is lucky I haven't colored her FACE with my anger!"

The woman blushed innocently and looked away. "I-I don't know why this man claims I stole his stuff! Besides... he has gil enough to purchase more!" She looked down at his bare lower half. "Can he at least go buy something to wear NOW before we continue?"

Suddenly there was a buzzing in her ear.
"So... what happened to my plus one?"
"Sidetracked, apparently. Alexei? Or was it Crofte? Gods, I hate managing two conversations at once."

The man continued his ranting, snapping the Knight's attention back to the matter at hand. "Madam, I make my OWN clothing. I am a very Brand in this town!" "I didn't steal them! He gave them to me! And I had to sell them just to make my way here!" "I'm sorry? Ma'am, his affluence is not in question here..."

"This, this, this... harpee met me in the woods asking for directions."

"Ser? I'm sorry... so this apparent transaction took place on a previous night, alone, in a remote location?"

"There was no transaction!", he hissed. "Only lies and thievery! And it was earlier this very day!"
"What? You asked ME for directions, not me asking you for directions!"

More buzzing filled her ear, followed by the rustling of leaves.
"sounds like a good place to hit...."
"What was that?"
"Sorry. Vas busy. Am needed?"

The Knight shook her head. This was becoming more difficult to follow. She swallowed and tried to focus again on the facts.
"So you met earlier this day in a remote location, removed your pants, and she ran off with them?"
"I met her on the roads on my way here!"
"Kiryuu's saying we might have a location on Wolfsong."
"Fantastic."

Coatleque reached up with one hand and pinched the bridge of her nose with two fingers. A familiar ache was beginning to grow behind her eyes.
"Yes, the roads, very well. Still.. you removed your pants and she ran off with them?"
"He gave them to me!" The girl looked at the man in anger. "He wanted me for the night, but I refused. Yet he still gave them to me hoping for a second meeting!"

This was going nowhere. And now her time was being wasted...
"Alright... accusations of apparent affection aside... did you indeed give her the pants, Ser?"

"I did."
The mans expression glinted a hint of truth finally, only to turn back to its accusatory glare.
"At bow-point! I mean... sure I'd like to have her alright, but I'm a married man! I have no need for... loose women. She came to me under the pretense of being a simple Bard..."
"Belay the airship landing. If you're interested in singin' t'wolves, meet me at Scorpion's Crossing within the bell."
By all the hells, that was what she was waiting for. But she couldn't just turn and leave this situation now.

"Loose?!", the woman cried. "LOOSE!? You've never even been inside to be able to make such a comment! I should slap you, Ser!"
"Don't tempt me young woman to take you into a room and show you, its clear you get around wherever you come from"
"Mmmf... Ser, I care not for those details at this time.", the Knight said flatly. Turning to the woman and trying to regain control she asked "You held him at bowpoin?"
"Am to come?"

"Held? No! I use my bow for protection only. He's of an addled mind. Look at him. His stance is the only thing that's standing at attention! Why would I hold him at bow-point? And besides, I could do MUCH better than HIM if I were to take a man to bed!"

Now clearly distracted to those around her, Coatleque tugged upon her ear.
"My appologies. I am... delayed... looking for stolen... pants."
"...pfffffft. Alexei, if you're not otherwise occupied, yes."
"Da."

The two continued to bicker and argue until she could take no more.
"ENOUGH! Please... Ser...How much were these items worth?"

The man did some quick calculations while muttering to him self about materials and other expenses.
"About eighteenn thousand gil total. My brand fetches a high price in this city"
"Alright, Eighte... EIGHTEEN THOUSAND?"
"Yes indeed. A fair price to be sure, but I can certainly work you into something nice later at a discount if you arrest her right now."
"I told you this man was a thief! Look at the outrageous price he's trying to charge me.!"

She sighed. There was no more time for this. The Knight dug through her gil purse and managed to scrape enough together. She quickly counted out the sum of eighteen thousand gil for the man. "In the name of her Grace, Sultana Nanamo Ul'Namo, I hereby make restitution for this apparent theft of property."
"I'm on my way, after I find my plus one."
"Now, Ser, I would ask that you do not bait her further. Your debt is settled, and she is my responsibility going forward."

At this point another bystander quipped "Is this really how the Sultansworn do things now?"
"Alexei. Nat's here. Don't give anythin' away."
"Vill say nothing."
"Should follow?"
"Aye."
"Should keep distance or not?"
"Your call."

The bystander continued, "Well, you've gotten your gill now. Perhaps you should go and replace your pants now, even with something temporary."
"Maybe buy yourself a wit too..."
"Vhat is role?"
"Ace in the hole. If anything goes wrong..."

"Since she is your responsibility, perhaps you will consider sending her to work for me at my estate. I assure you she will be scrubbing and cleaning non-stop until she can repay this debt to her Grace."
"I will consider it. No promises."
"Vill keep distance."

Finally the man seemed to be calming down. He turned to the third and said "Yes young man I could use a new pair of pants the last ones we're a few days old"

Her business now concluded, the Knight gave the woman a quick salute.
"Ma'am"
"Y-yes?"
"Please take care of yourself."
"Yes, and thank you."

Tugging upon her earlobe again, the Knight was finally able to report in.
"Apologies for my temporary detainment...the problem is dealt with. Where do you need me, Ser?"
"Nice of you to join us, Crofte. Follow Alexei. Stay behind him a ways and watch our rear."
"Aye, Ser."

As the Knight turned and made her way to the Chocobo stables, she did not see the woman she just acquitted strolling away the opposite direction with the same bystander. She confidently tossed a gill bag into the air and caught it with her palm before pocketing the money.

"That BITCH stole my gil purse!"

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 06-24-2014

Coatleque stood pensive at what she was about to do. She found herself before the barracks of the Flame Yataghans as an emissary for the Sworn. It seemed her duties since promotion had taken her far and wide through Thanalan, and this was just another of many stops this day. "Bloody politics.", she muttered. Taking a deep breath, she shook off her personal feelings and focused on the task at hand. Standing at attention she gave a light wrap at the door. Moments later it swung back allowing her entry. She could hear murmuring from inside. "I'll go make myself scar..." - Wonderful... all eyes were on her now it seemed.

The Knight entered the barracks and all went dark momentarily. She had hoped this meeting would be rather personal, but as her eyes adjusted to the interior she found an office fully staffed. The Lieutenant sat behind her broad desk at the far end of the room. A grandiose portrait of her Grace hung from the wall behind. The Knight immediately felt comforted at that scene, though still regretted her need for this meeting. And then the woman looked up from her papers, smiling at her. "You were the one ah... over the shell?"

"Aye, I was. Lady Coatleque Crofte, of her Resplendence's royal guard. And you must be the Leftennant.", she said with a salute.

To this she stood and gave a respectful bow of her head. "I am.. Lieutenant Dweia Delacroix. Here with me is Lieutenant Chalahko my aetheric specialist, Sergeant Moengeim Wistyrmanwyn, Miss Vasha Engelbert, and Private Slagathor Delaph." she said, gesturing to each one respectively. "A pleasure", the Knight replied, bowing to each in turn. They each stood and also presented in their own fashion. Moengeim with her crooked smile commented, "A'yer service.", while Vasha simply appeared very stern and professional.

Lieutenant Delacroix then gestured to the chairs before her desk. "Please... sit if you would. I'm curious to know what it is you have for me." Coatleque relaxed her stance. "Aye, my thanks.", she said as she took the seat to the left. She crossed her legs and made sure her tabard was straight before leaning forward upon her arm. "I have asked to meet with you briefly...", she began, "to discuss a small matter of security between the Sultansworn and the Immortal Flames." She glanced about the room once more, letting her words carry what weight they could.

"I can assure you all here can be trusted.", the Lieutenant replied.
"I have no doubt. The matter of trust is not with them, to be blunt, but with my... erm.. predecessor. Certain channels of communique have been compromised by.. former.. sergeant McBeef." Her words caused a gentle stir of hushed murmuring through the room.
"Compromised how, if I may ask?", quipped Lieutenant Chalahko
"Former sergeant?", remarked Sergeant Wistyrmanwyn.
The Lieutenant spoke up after a moment. "The name is familiar, but I do not know this person."
It was then the Knight realized just how bad this state of affairs had become. Had communication broken down to the point that so many were in the dark of recent events? All eyes were on her now as she gently cleared her throat. "Perhaps I should start from the beginning then."
"Yes, please."
"That would be for the best."

"My predecessor, one Madam Natalie McBeef, has been implicated in matters regarding the safety of her Grace." As she began recounting the tale, her words were accompanied by the sound of determined writing at the side of the room. "I am not at liberty to discuss said matters in detail. However she has been long dismissed from her position. She, as well as two other Sultansworn beneath her. The present threat to her Grace has been dealt with. However McBeef is now working for the Brass Blades. Quite adequately it seems."

"Can you at least say if it was a dereliction of dutry, or corruption?", Chalahko chimed in.
"I'm not entirely sure of the details, sadly. I have not been allowed into that investigation. But it does involve a stolen cerulean core and the Ala'Mhigan resistance." She paused once more to allow the gravity of the situation to sink in, and allow response.

"Funny, 'eard naught o'this afore now.", Sergeant Wistyrmanwyn replied.
"This to do with the big bomb that was hidden all over the city?", asked Chalahko.
The Lieutenant simply sat back in her chair, nibbling at her lower lip in thought.

"Potentially, yes.", she continued. "But that is neither here nor there. All of this is to say, the woman can no longer be trusted."
"The reason I ask...", he continued, "is that ceruleum cores are typically used in explosives."
"Aye, and one is now missing. Or was at any rate. And the mine was set ablaze."
"Only ablaze? lucky."

"Good fit fer th'Blades. What be ye proposin' we do 'bout th'compromise? Meanin' McBeef'n 'er 'complices may still 'ave an 'ear on th'pearl?"
There was another pause. The room was silent save the sound of Vasha's frantic scribbling.

The Lieutenant shot glances to her seconds, then back to the Knight. "So we have the danger of an explosive set anywhere.. a woman who knows the inter-workings of the security of Ul'dah..."
"The events I have personally witnessed these past few nights convince me that McBeef is no longer herself. Or has fallen quite far from former graces. She and her lapdog have stooped to bribery, extortion, and even murder, all in the name of a coverup. It would be extremely unwise to tip her off that her actions are becoming public knowledge, else she react more violently as an animal recently caged."
"This seems to be happening a lot lately it seems..."

"And so I come to the ultimate purpose of this meeting. The Sultansworn cannot abide by the decreased security of the Immortal Flames Linkpearl. Yet we cannot afford to disrupt all communique with the Immortal Flames, as we are of like mind. I have commissioned a separate pearl for Sultansworn and Free Paladins only. In the interest of unification I would extend this to Leftennant Delacroix as well, and her alone, within the Yataghans. The ultimate intent of which is that orders and calls of aid may still be given between our respective organizations."

"An' iffn she be indisposed?"
"Moengeim has a point, there."
The Lieutenant arches a brow at the Knight's offer, then glances to her seconds once again before replying in a soft yet measured tone, "I would agree to this only if my officers were allowed methods of communications as well. For the very reason the Sergeant speaks of."

And there it was. More political bargaining chips. Why could nothing be simple? Why must everyone have their own demands? The Knight leaned back and crossed her arms. "I trust you, Madam. If they hold the same esteem with you, then I will allow it, but no more. We must keep this as tight sealed as possible. For the safety of her Grace, and to avoid further... embarrassment in the Sultansworn."
"I would trust them with my life... I have many times in fact."

"Then that is enough cause for me."
With that, she leaned forward and dropped a small bag on the desk.
"Will other members of the Immortal Flames have access to this or only the Yataghans?"
"The invitation is to all officers of the Flames. As I said, the intent is to remain secure yet available."

"Very well.. we will come to aid you when we can. But when that times comes.. I will bring who I deem most fit to help, security and embarrassment be damned. I will not endanger my soldiers lives for the sake of security."
"That is both understandable, and expected, Ser. The intent is not to limit resources, only to secure communique among higher ranking officials. I am not entirely familiar with all of those in the Flames, so I trust you can distribute more as needed, Leftennant."
To that the woman nodded.

"You should know also, that I've commissioned these at the behest of Chief Flame Sergeant Melkire. Twas his concern that moved me to action. I do not do this lightly. But the security of her Grace is paramount."
"I have yet to meet him personally. He is only a name I have heard over the Immortal Flames linkshell. I hope to meet him one day."
The Knight merely smiled knowingly in return.
"So it is."

Coatleque slowly rose from the chair. "My business is concluded then, unless you had any concerns?"
"We will answer when you call, Miss Croft. As soon as we are able to, with what we are able to."
"Her Grace thanks you for your loyalty, Ser."

They each gave a parting bow, and Flame salute. The rest of the room stood at attention as the Knight turned deftly on her heels and headed for the door.
"Twelve keep you, and Her Grace!"
"And you."

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 06-26-2014

Coatleque sat once again in her office. The lantern had been turned down low just enough for her to see the reports she had made. Her wrist ached at the shear amount of writing that was accomplished over the past two bells. It was late now - or early, depending on your outlook. The crickets had long since been silent, and the birds would begin to awaken within the next half bell. Quietly she poured over her words. Scrutinizing them to the last detail. Making sure everything, everyone, every angle had been covered.

She had started with the conversation she overheard of Kage's strange transformation. That was her beginning, her first true involvement. From there she moved to the disturbance in the Quicksand where she unknowingly had come to Natalie's aid. Paltry details for sure, but still relevant.

After this she noted her contact by Chief Flame Sergeant Melkire.
Being approached by Jameson on the street looking for McBeef - she knew nothing of the man, but still noted it as McBeef was involved.
How she followed Ser Melkire to the abandoned mine at the wells, watching his back while he conducted his own investigation.
Her witnessing of the slain Blades, the rage which wich Natalie had toppled those crates over the entrance.
The freeing of Gharen Wolfsong.
"She had Kage do it. Because she slipped and spoke his name."
"I'm accountable now.", though she left out some of the more grizzly details.

From there she moved on to the second rescue, noting the names of all present that she knew.
What she observed from her vantage point overseeing the docks.
What little she could make out from her Link to Osric.
The acquiring of both Roen, and Askier, as well as the state of each.
How she was ordered by Ser Melkire to let McBeef quit the scene.

"I want reform. I want change. I want this whole thing blown into the open. For that, we need her."
"Deneith is out of my reach while she is in Limsa."
"But not out of mine. Make ready."
"Aye, Ser. You bring her back, and I will see to her protection."

Blown open indeed. Her involvement was minimal except as a witness. At this point she had not been required to draw steel. Hopefully that would be enough. This report was going to make waves, she was sure. What she did not know was if she was ready to weather this storm.

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 06-27-2014

Coatleque sat in the Quicksand. Alone. The day had been so slow for her. She had nowhere to go, nothing to do, just drifting without purpose these past two days. She watched Miss Rhea dance in the middle of the bar. It was all she could do to avoid going insane at this point. Then it came, over the private link. "Ser Crofte. The Captain would have words with you now."

She hesitated. "... Aye, Ser. I am on my way."

Quietly she made her way to his office. She wore no armor or uniform that day, as the day before. It must have been an odd sight to see. Lady Crofte dressed in a formal white dress with black trim and gold accents, flanked by who armed Sworn in full regalia. She gently wrapped her gloved hand against the door. "Crofte, inside." His voice came with a bit more sharpness than usual.

She slowly allowed herself in, moving to the side quickly as the door latched behind her. Captain Jenlyns sat behind his desk, fingers laced, not looking pleased. The Lady Knight stood at attention just the same, with obvious angst. She could not meet his gaze. Not yet. Instead she tried her best to focus on the wall behind him.

"Ser!", she replied awaiting his command.
He took a long breath in, his blue eyes cooler in its hue this day, his brows bent. "Step forward, Crofte. I wish not to yell at you from across the room."

The Knight immediately took two long strides forward and stopped with a click of her dress heels. She held her hands behind her back and remained focused on the wall behind him. "Aye, Ser!"

Jenlyns stared at her for a moment longer, then slowly his eyes lowered to the documents before him. "I have read your report. Thrice. Who else knows about this report, Crofte?" The Knight swallowed hard, still unable to meet his gaze. "No one, Ser. My reports are strictly confidential, for you alone."

A long pause fell between them.

"Are you certain Crofte? Because Sergreant Osric came to me shortly after, to defend your actions. Saying you were lured, under false pretenses." She paused, frantically searching for words. Damn the Sergeant to all the hells! She reviewed in her mind everything she had documented once more, unsure of what she could have missed, what she may have worded wrongly.
"Ser... He knows of them, but not what is in them. My actions were my own, Ser."

"Exactly... what does he think is in these reports, Crofte?", he said, choosing his words carefully. He studied her responses expectantly. "I could not presume to know the man, or what he thinks, Ser. I have never disclosed the contents of any of my reports. I would assume he believes I made no mention of any of these happenings." He taps his thumbs together slowly, his fingers still laced.

"Do you see my dilemma here? You have been witnessed to those who are accessory to certain crimes. Dead Blades are accounted for. You made a report, of your awareness of their fates, and yet no arrests were made. Then you bring that report to me. What am I supposed to do with this, Crofte?"
Her face flushed as she realized the glaring mistake. Of course the information was worthless at this point. What did she expect him to do? Again her mind raced back to the events, trying to piece together some kind of defense.

"Ser, an arrest would have complicated the second mission. As these were Ser Melkire's operations, I was ordered not to jeopardize them." His eyes narrow into slits, as if to drive the point home further. "Then you carry out the second mission, arrest the perpetrators, then make the report to me, Crofte."
"A-aye... Ser."
"You are still green, I can see that. And perhaps your promotion was a bit hasty, but you are supposed to represent the new face of the Sworns on the streets. If the word of this gets out that you had any part in execution of Brass Blades... You will do even MORE harm to our order than the three demoted Sworns combined. DO you see that?"
"I do... Ser."
"... and you disobeyed a direct order. From me. For the Sultana's safety, that misdeed I am willing to forgive. Only once. But jeopardizing the Sworns, is precisely why the three you mentioned in your report are not serving as Sworns currently. Do you wish to join them in their fate?"
The Knight looked as if she was on the verge of tears by this point. Somehow she held them back.
"NO, Ser!."

He exhaled long through his nose, leaning back on his thick, large chair. He regarded her a long moment, letting the silence fall like a dead weight between them. She swallowed hard once again, but maintained her attention while still focusing on the wall behind them. It was getting harder not to look him in the eye. "What am I to do with you, Crofte?"
"I would expect it is back to guard duty on the Strip, Ser."
"Perhaps. That would only leave people to wonder why you are no longer on the streets. Questions would arise."
"What would you have me do, Ser?"

"If no one is aware of this report, it can disappear." He waved a hand into the air. "But if even one person is aware of what you reported, then you are jeopardizing the entire Order with your inaction. And in turn, my inaction, if I do nothing."
Her heart fells at these words more than anyone would think. She had hoped her witness would have made a difference in the end. Some kind of ripple as Osric had wanted.

".... Aye, Ser. No one is aware, Ser."

"Sergeant Melkire certainly gives me doubt." He leaned forward, lacing his fingers again on the desk, his eyes showing their intent. "You serve under the Sultansworn Order, Crofte. You are not one of Melkire's men. Nor are you to serve as an accessory to what he does. His actions are answerable to Swift. But I will not have one of mine be thrown into the mess that is Melkire's history with the Syndicate."
"What of Deneith, Ser?"

He narrowed his eyes, and a different expression passes at the mention of that name. "...I read your report on that." He sighed, the sharpness in his tone giving way. "How is she?"
"Unclear. From what I saw... she may have scars. Not just physical." The knight seems to bristle at her own words, knowingly.
Jenlyns's gaze drifted downward, although he did not seem to be looking at any particular document in front of him. He frowned. "What a mess this turned out to be."
"Ser? I told Melkire I would keep her safe if he brought her back. If you order me against that... I shall comply."
He shook his head and looked back up to her. Taking in a long breath he arched a brow at her.
"Melkire is bringing Deneith back?"
"That is his intention."
"You reported she was..." He scaned the documents again. "She was leaving or some sort. What is Melkire's intention?"
"He needs her for something. I know not what. He wants to bring her back to Ul'dah from where she is now to keep her safe."

He exhaled again, his eyes narrowing. "Crofte. Deneith was.. is... still one of ours. As is Mcbeef and Kiryuu. Even as Blades, if they are persecuted, Monetarists will brand them as ex-Sworns rather than Blades." He trained his gaze onto her, trying to force her to finally meet it back. "Melkire is conducting this investigation, and as I understand it, going after Mcbeef." He set his jaw. "I need to know that what he has is solid. I need one of my own eyes on this matter. That would be you, Crofte."
The sudden change of tone in his words caught her ear. She finally worked up the courage to meet his gaze and straightened herself as best she could.
"Orders, Ser!"

"I've known Mcbeef... for years now. Since the Calamity. She is a rough one, some call her the bad apple. But her loyalty to the Sultana was never in question. No matter how she carried them out, her intentions were always true." He shook his head. "It seems she has fallen off that path, perhaps the Blades have gotten to her. I don't know." He pinched his nose. "And I know wherever she goes, Kiryuu will follow." His voice lowered. "But I need to know that she has truly fallen off this path. Because if Melkire arrests her, this will fall back on us. I need to know it is justified."
"Understood, Ser."

"Your Orders, Crofte, are now exact opposite of the one I gave you when you were promoted. You are to make it your business to see to the affairs of the three demoted Sworns. Their fates it seems will reflect back on us. Find the truths. See if Melkire's wrath towards Mcbeef is justified. And what his intentions are towards Deneith. Blade or no, they were once our own. See that justices is served. No blinders."
"And to what capacity shall I follow Chief Melkire's commands? He thinks me pliable right now, I fear. If I hesitate often he will be suspicious."
He narrowed his eyes on her, but there is a small upward curl to his lips. "Not as... green as I thought, Crofte."
She holds his gaze, but keeps a straight face. "I do learn, Ser."
"Very well. Carry out his orders to the best of your ability, but you are not working under him, Crofte. You are a Sworn. You are to be my eyes and ears, and ultimately my hand in this investigation. Make him believe you are still... pliable. But gain his confidence."
The Knight took a deep breath. "Ser, Aye Ser!"
"And make certain that justice is served to one of our own. Can you do that, Crofte?"
"For her Grace, for Ul'dah. I can, Ser!"
"That is exactly why you are doing this, Crofte. We are the Sultana's Elite. Her cloak of safety. Her watchers. If we are tainted, the Monetarists gain more shadows around her. This we cannot allow. Maneuver this situation carefully, Crofte. We must bring those to justice that deserve it. But always... always be mindful of how it tips the scales. Because THAT ... is Ul'Dah."
"Aye Ser. I shall, Ser!"
"Alright. Dismissed."

Coatleque saluted him as is customary of the Flames, turned about with seemingly renewed vigor, and headed for the door. She quietly allowing herself out. Captain Jenlyns watched her go and let out a long sigh. It is awhile before he returns to the documents at hand.

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 07-05-2014

Coatleque rode towards Highbridge on a standard patrol of the road to Gridania. She only just returned to Ul'dah within a sun and had already been beset by duties after her absence. She had hoped to be done her travelling for a few days at least, but the dry winds and sun of Thanalan were more welcoming after the cold climes of Coerthas. The route so far had been uneventful as usual, so she had little to complain of today.

Unknown to Crofte, yellow eyes watched her approach from the rock overlooking the pass. The humanoid shaped creature wore what looked to be simple shepherd’s clothes, torn here and there in places, but its face was shadowed. As she passed under, the creature rose and leaped at the woman, seeking to knock her from her chocobo!

Startled at the sudden presence of something flying through the air at her, she pulled hard on the reigns and the bird reared back and to the right, just narrowly being missed by the creature. The creature’s cloak spread open almost as if it were wings upon its back as it landed. It paused momentarily to stare at her face before muttering something incomprehensible. After quickly regaining her bearings, she stared at this new visage before her, narrowing her eyes.

"Was that meant to be some sort of ambush?", she quipped as she urged her bird to back up a few steps. Scanning the area she was now on guard for any assistance this one may have with it. “Who are you, and what business do you have stopping me here?”

The thing drew itself up straight. Its face was covered and shadowed, but the skin around its eyes looks dark, and it spoke with a voice not its own. "Crofte. Take. Now." With that, it lunged forward again, arms outstretched.

Still having the advantage of being mounted, she reared the bird once more and forced it to jump sideways to avoid the creature’s lunge. Its purpose now clear, she quickly dismounted and pushes the bird away; It ran off away into the field to wait whatever outcome. She drew her blade and turned to face the creature. "It is a crime to keep a Sultansworn from their duty, though I don't feel you particularly care at this point, Ser."

The creature responded once again in a guttural, unnatural voice. "Duty. Take Crofte. It is commanded!" It raised its arm above its head and a shadowy halberd seemed to grow from its hand as it swung downward! While put off by the sudden appearance of the weapon, she easily anticipated its slower movement and sidestepped the swing while raising her sword parallel to the ground. "If you will not be swayed, then so be it!"

She wielded her sword with both hands and moved in with a quick spin to her right, sweeping the blade down in an effort to sweep its leg with the flat of her sword. The attack connected easily, and the creature is dropped to one knee as she broke its leg with her blade. It howled a shrill alien scream that echoed across Thanalan. After a moment it looked at her direction and vomited void pitch at her face.

Diving to the side, she avoiding whatever the thing had spit towards her. The pitch landed on the ground a few feet behind her and bubbled as it ate a hole in the sand. She let her sword drop to one hand by her side as she moved towards the creature once more. Raising one leg, she kicked it square in the chest, pushing the creature over.

As the creature toppled it swung out with one last attempt against its quarry. Not prepared that time, she could not avoid it as the halberd smashed into her chest, pushing her backwards and momentarily knocking the breath from her lungs. Her scale and chain took the brunt of the impact, but the force behind the impact was still astonishing.

Looking down at the creature with a smirk, she gave it one last chance to surrender.
"Any last words before I send you back to the void?"
It did not reply, but only made a gurgling sound as it tried to rise on its remaining good leg.
“So be it.”

She spun hard to the right again, with her sword outstretched in a wide arch, cleaving the creature diagonally across its torso. Thee blade easily cut through the shepherd’s robes and its flesh. It gurgled as it quivered and died in front of her. However, though dead it did not stop moving as it began to writhe and contort on the ground before her. Stepping back, sword still at the ready, she watched its struggles.

Before long it had changed shape. Looked like a young highlander man, bleeding quite a natural red over the sand.

"By the Twelve!" Her sword fell to the ground as she rushed forward to attend to the man. She quickly looked over the body, trying to find any hope of saving him or bringing him back from the brink. Unfortunately it was far to late for the him. His pulse was gone and torrents of blood gushed out from where she cleaved him across the chest. The shadowy halberd vanished with all other traces of the voidsent.

She stayed like that for a good few minutes, cursing herself for the life she had taken. Afterwards she simply rose, and pulling his body to the side of the road, left him under the shade of the rock. Retrieving her sword she went find her bird. Thankfully it had not run off far, only to the plains beyond the bend in the road. A properly trained War Steed. Turning the mount about, she headed back to Drybone to report his death to the local Brass Blades.

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-06-2014

[Image: YzEX2jt.jpg]

Natalie walks through the plush carpets of the royal court, attracting sidelong glances in her rusty red armor. Finally she finds the one she came here for, Captain Jenlyns, taking his daily inspection.

"Sir." She salutes, "I have a message for you."

"Natalie..." he says with wide eyes, "What are you doing up here?"

"Official business sir, Sergeant Osric of the Flames, he left me something, before he disappeared, a letter, addressed to you." She hands him a sealed envelope, "I do not know it's contents, but I believe it to be of grave importance."

He takes it frowning, "I see..."

"If there is nothing else Sir, I must get back to my patrol."

"You're dismissed..." he says and absentmindedly returns her salute as he turns the letter over in his hands. He opens after she leaves, and reads the contents with shaking hands.

Quote:To Captain Jenlyns,

It is to my utmost regret to report a case of vile corruption and malfiesiance among your ranks. It is my belief that the death of two Brass Blades in Western Thanalan can be laid at the feet of Sultansworn Crofte. Not only did she kill them, she conspired to have Lieutenant Kiryuu of the blades, and myself to file false reports. To Kiryuu she promised a return to the Order, if he would take responsibility for the deed. I was seduced and pleaded with to take responsibility for her actions myself, saying it would be a blow to the Royalist cause if she was found responsible. I do not wish to besmirch the reputation of the Order publicly, but I felt you should know the true story of what happened. Hopefully you can handle this internally, but I believe she should be made respnsible for her crimes. I would bring this letter to you myself, but it is my belief Ser Crofte plans to blackmail and control me. If you are reading this, I may be dead, disgraced or both, but I wish the truth to be known.

Signed,
Osric Melkire
(dated two weeks ago)

He puts it down and rubs his forehead, "By the twelve, what is happening to this city."

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 07-07-2014

The Knight returned to her office once more. It was now late and she looked forward to some rest after the events of the day. Her armor would be repaired by noon the next day and in the meantime she would be able to follow-up on other leads.

Wearing the white dress she was now used to being seen in, she sat down. Opening the drawer below her she produced half a bottle of wine and a glass. It was odd, she had never been one to drink before - but this seemed to help her relax on those longer nights. Pouring a glass she returned the bottle to the drawer and closed it.

She leaned back in the chair while sipping it, then eyed that folder on her desk once again. Everything was falling into place, it seemed. She had met with each of her 'fallen' comrades and said her piece. Her words had been chosen carefully for each one of them, telling them what she thought they needed to hear.

Kage Kiryuu - so eager to fall in line, follow, cast aside his own convictions for the perceived good of others.
"Of the two of us, Ser Kiryuu, I am not an admitted murderer..."
She had called his conscience into question in the hopes he would remember his oath and begin to lead his own life rather than the one others chose for him.

Natalie McBeef - headstrong, arrogant, yet dim-witted. She did what she wanted without worry of the consequences to her own actions.
"Twice have I stepped in to assist you now. I hope you see where my loyalties lie."
"Think carefully on what color you wish your armor to be in the future...Ser McBeef"

She had called her honor into question in the hopes Natalie would understand that victory need not come at such a high cost to others.

Roen Deneith - Kind, gentle, but perhaps too soft. She was dragged through the hells, but could she return from them?
"You are surrounded by those who seem to know what is best for you. The question is, do YOU know what is best for you?"
She had called her convictions into question in the hopes that the girl would remember who and what she is, to rise above the dark cloud cast over her life.

Ah, Ser Deneith. She was still the enigma of the three. Enough time had passed since her ordeal, she should be ready to move on now. But Coatleque knew far too well that the scars would remain her entire life.

"You make me remember why I wore that armor..."
"And you make me remember why I still do..."

Yes, she may yet pull through this after all.

Coatleque placed the empty glass on her desk. Its effects were just starting to be known. She stood and stretched, ready to retire for the night. She took the envelope and was about to lock it away for safety when she heard Jenlyns's voice over the official channel...

"Ser Crofte? My office, now please."

She blinked. What had happened now? At this hour? Shaking her head she decided to make this an opportunity instead...
"Aye, Ser!", she replied.
Tucking the parcel under one arm, she left the room and locked the door.

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 07-08-2014

Jenlyns sat at his desk, as always, parchments flanking him on both sides. He glared at them balefully, his usual patience having been spent earlier in the day. Too many missives and letters. He sighed and laced his hands together, bringing his forehead to rest against them. He frowned as he reflected over the contents of the most trouble missives. Then there came a light knock at the door.

"Enter."

Coatleque let herself in as she was now accustomed to doing. The door closed quietly behind her as she stepped to the side. Her heels clicked together at attention. She was once again not wearing her armor, but her white dress and beret, and looking very much like an inspector than a knight. She held a leather wrapped file under her left arm.

"You wished to see me, Ser?"
"Ah. Yes. Crofte." He lowered his hand, his blue eyes a cooler hue. He let out a long exhale through his nostrils before he spoke again.
"How goes your investigation?"

Her eyes seemed to light up immediately at the question.
"Very well, I believe Ser. I am prepared to take on more of a direct approach with it now. I had hoped to speak to you about it since you have called me here."
"Is that so." He said dryly. "Have you been working with Melkire in this?"

Her expression flattened at the mention of the Flame Sergeant.
"No Ser, I was assisting Ser Melkire with his own matter of inquiry. Alas that has... fallen to the side as he has now been compromised."
"Ah. So you have learned of that as well."

He exhaled again, this one long and drawn out, as if in frustration. Leaned back in his chair, he regarded her.
"I have just received the most curious letter with his name on it. Regarding ... you."
An eyebrow raised. "Regarding... Me, Ser?"
There was a pause
"When last I contacted Ser Melkire he said we could not speak because of his condition. He refused to have any contact with me."

Jenlyns pushed off from the chair and pressed a finger on one parchment that was in front of him. He pushed it across the desk towards her, then leaned back in his chair again. "Read for yourself." Walking up to his desk, she took the parchment and read it slowly, her expression turning to a frown with each accusation. She couldn't help but snicker at the 'seduction' part, as if she would bother. Once finished she placed it back down for him to retrieve.

"I do not know what to say Ser. It is a blatant lie. An attempt to silence me from my duties."
"Considering this was delivered -after- the Sergeant was compromised... I find it highly suspect." Jenlyns waved a hand vaguely into the air. But the scowl on his brow did not abate. "But it is by his hand. And unless he can come forth to corroborate or declare himself of this falsehood... I cannot simply ignore this." There was another pause. "You understand."
"O-of course... Ser.", she said while trying to ignore the knot growing in her stomach.

"So. Tell me how you have followed my explicit orders since we have talked last." He laced his fingers and rested him on the edge of his thick desk. "Because I need some good news while I consider this."
"Ser!"

She seems more at ease with this command, as if thankful the accusations were being set aside that she may speak.
"I have met with and spoken to each of the three in turn, appealing to them as I saw fit to try and sway their course. Only time will tell if I had any impact on them. But furthermore, I have found Ser Deneith is to be brought in for desertion charges. She has been away from her post for far too long. She cannot help her current situation, and I do not blame her for wanting to remain away. She will need more time than the rest to recover from her recent ordeals, but... I have a plan to at least save HER, while I continue to evaluate the other two. But I need official sanction to proceed, Ser. Which is why I need to speak with you first."

He arched a brow at Crofte, still listening. "Go on."

The Knight nodded to him and continued her plea.
"There was a certain amount of ... evidence that had been previously brought forward. This evidence was used to damn them at the time. I believe you know of what I speak. It just so happens that I now have that evidence in my possession."
With that, she unwrapped the file and laid it on his desk.
"I believe what was once used to convict may now be used, in the proper hands, to acquit."

One brow still remained lofted, as his gaze lowered to the file now newly joining the rest of the stack of papers on his desk. He let out an inaudible sigh.

"Ser, the contents of this file convict Ser Deneith of something greater than just desertion. With this, and your orders, I may officially assume full responsibility for this investigation. It would no longer be an issue for the Brass Blades. Ser Deneith would be discharged, and at least safe for the time being."

He gave the file another baleful glare before glancing back to Crofte. "Deneith?" There was clear question in his expression and he reached across the desk for the file. He opened the file, blue eyes quickly scanning over the documents. One after another. He set them aside, then poured through the next. The frown on his brows deepened with each page. "This accuses her of treason. A Garlean spy."

She watched him for a moment as he pours through the documentation, trying to gauge his reception to the idea.
"Aye, Ser, but the charges are false. It is damning enough to bring the matter into our jurisdiction, though."

He paused mid-page, then glanced up at him. "I see. Are you certain they are false?"

The Knight looked away for a moment in thought, trying to to show her own concern over the matter.
"Ser, I cannot say for certain. However, I intend to find out." She paused. "That is, if you give the order, Ser."

"Mm. Indeed. True or not, it does fall under our jurisdiction." He set his jaw, his eyes narrowing in thought.
"Very well, Crofte." He said after a pause. "You are to proceed. If Deneith is innocent, then we have a Sworn cleared. If not, we caught ourselves a spy." His blue gaze is sharp and icy as he gave her a pointed look. "I pray to the Twelve that you find her innocent, Crofte. Else it is execution for the girl."

Coatleque looked both relieved, yet concerned as she meet his gaze.
"Ser, you made sure that I think of them as our own. I will not rest until I prove otherwise. And if I fail, I have already given my life in exchange to another. I shall not."

He arched another brow, not quite understanding all of her meaning.
"Well, let us hope you are successful in this. How did you come by this document?"
"Ser Deneith herself, Ser. It was passed from one Jameson Taeros to Ser Mcbeef, given to Gharen Wolfsong, then to his sister for safekeeping. I would not have come to you with it if these were not her wishes themselves."
"... did you say Taeros?"
She tilted her head at his expression. "A-aye Ser?"

The muscles of his neck tightened and he steepled his fingers in front of him as he leaned forward on his desk. He fell silent, his eyes narrowed in thought. After a pause, he flicked a glance her way. "So. You know where Deneith is. You realize you will have to bring her in."

She stiffened at this notion. "I do not know where she is directly, I do know she is somewhere in La Noscea. I also know people who can find her. The question, Ser, is how long I am able to delay before she must needs be brought in. It would besmirch my honor to detain her without verifying the evidence..."

He arched a brow at her, almost incredulous. "Did you just not say you got this document from Deneith herself? I understand we do not make false arrests, but the charges of treason are serious as they can get, Crofte. We cannot just simply let her be..." he waved in the air, "while we suspect or clear her of being a spy."

"Other Sworns have arrested, detained, and even questioned using forcible means for less. All for the Sultana's safety." There was a hint of distaste that undercut his words.
"Ser, I was not aware of the full extent of said charges myself, Ser. And my meeting left me at the disadvantage to use force, Ser."
"Then bring whoever you will as reinforcement. But..." he frowned as he himself did not want to say what he had to say. "We are for the Sultana's safety first and foremost. If there is an accusation of a spy, a -Garlean- spy no less, it needs to be seen through. She needs to be brought in and questioned. Even as you carry out your investigation." He shook his head. "Of all the times... with these new threats looming over Ul'Dah,with a Flame already compromised... this is the -worst- time to let Garlean threats slip through our fingers, Crofte."

She continues to meet his gaze, refusing to waver this time as she had during their last meeting. "Ser, it was my understanding that her evaluation was to be left to me. Unless I had misunderstood the intention... I had to make certain concessions just to be allowed to see Ser Deneith. After speaking with her, it is of my opinion that she is no threat in her current state. I must have time Ser, to evaluate my findings further, before I can detain her. To do otherwise may bring about a bloodbath. Unlike my predecessor, I am not prone to shed blood unnecessarily..."

There was a pause.
"With respect, Ser!"

He arched a brow at her. "A bloodbath?"
"Aye, she is well cared for."
"... I see." He clenched his jaws and a long silence fell between them.

"Please do not take my insubordination lightly, as I would not protest without proper cause. But she has many close to her that would willingly fight to keep her out of the gaol."

He tapped a finger against the oaken desk. "Crofte. Who are we."
"We are the Sultansworn, Ser. The Royal Guard of Her Resplendence."
"That is correct. And if a threat is posed to Her Grace, we do not falter. We do all that is necessary to ensure her safety. And if a bloodbath must be had to ensure that very safety, then we do not waver. Understood?"

"A... Aye, Ser."
He let his words hang in the air for a moment, before letting out a long sigh. He leaned back against his chair, looking more weary than he had when she had first entered. "That being said... I will give you a few suns to explore your options. But a charge of treason is as grave a charge as it gets against the Sultana short of a blatant assasination attempt." He took a long breath in, looking up at the woman. "Things are afoot, Ser Crofte. Grim tidings and more of our own being compromised. In light of Melkire's situation, I cannot allow one of my own to come under the same suspicion and ... their whereabouts unknown. You have suns to arrange this. But you will have to bring her in for questioning. I will let you carry out the interrogation of course. As a few in our Order can get overzealous in that line of duty."

Her growing tension gave way to at least a little relief at his words.
"Understood, Ser. I shall make the necessary preparations."

He regarded her for a moment, the icy countenance giving way to a pensive reluctance. "It is not an easy thing we do, Crofte. Putting Her Eminence above all else... means we sometimes need to put her welfare above other good people. Deneith will not suffer hardship here. She will be given a respectable quarters to be detained in. We do not forget our own. But the charges are grave. Had she or Mcbeef enlightened me of her heritage from the start... some of this might have been avoided."

"I understand, Ser. I said I would protect her, even if that means I am to be her personal guard and gaoler while she is here."
He nodded. "If you wish that responsibility, then it is yours."
"I could do nothing else, Ser."
"Very well." He straightened. "You clearing or convicting a spy, I consider of more importance than an accusation of murder by a Sergeant who could have been compromised before or after the missive was written."
"Thank you, Ser!"
"Prove me right in my faith in you, Crofte. Make sure this is not a threat. And..." he glared at the letter. "Be prepared Crofte. Something is headed our way. And Melkire is in the middle of it. And the Empire behind him. We need to secure our own and stand ready when it comes."
She gave him a quick salute. "Aye, Ser, we shall be ready. And I shall not fail."
He regarded her for a long moment, before exhaling, as if admitting his own worry on the matter. "Very well. Dismissed."

"Oh and Crofte?"
"Ser?"
"If you are to go and apprehend her, I suggest bringing people you trust with you. I read that her brother is a terrorist, and a known fighter."

She gathered the documents together again as he spoke, ordering them in the file, then wrapping it back in the leather sleeve and tieing it shut.
"Aye, Ser. I shall be prepared should... should force be necessary." She almost choked on the word.

His gaze remained on her for a moment longer, before he returned back to the tower of parchment to his right, his jaw set and his expression a forced calm. Turning about with the file under her arm again, she let herself quietly out of his office and returned to her own. She locked the evidence in her strongbox, then secured the door as she left to finally get some rest.

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 07-21-2014

The sound of boots echoed through the halls. Each step grew louder, and the sound did not die away but lingered as time slowed. She saw the two guards at the bottom of the stairs. Her shield brothers, carrying out their duty as always. Coatleque turned to face the group she had escorted.

"... You cannot serve two masters, and mine has been chosen long before ... "
"My life... FOR THE SULTANA!"

Vision blurred in a biting white flash of pain as the sword slid through her mid-section. She slumped to her knees as the sound of battle echoed through the halls.

"F-forgive... me...", she stammered through pain and tears as she collapsed onto her side.

The Knight awoke and sat up in a cold sweat, desperately clutching at her stomach. The wound had been healed two days prior already, but the lingering trauma would not abate so easily. She felt sick.

Turning to the side of the bed she let her feet touch the floor and leaned forward. She breathed slowly to try and calm the knot in her stomach. She was alive. This was the Hourglass. Ul'dah had been spared once again. But was she free once more?

A hand slowly raised to feel the base of her neck. Rather than a steel vice she felt flesh. Her own neck once again. She rubbed herself almost in disbelief. It was over.

Or was it? Was there truly any rest for the city's defenders? The end of one misery, the beginning of another. Another friend was now in the gaols. And he would have to answer.

Coatleque rose and looked towards the window. It was daylight already, though she did not know what bell. She would need to be debriefed by the Captain eventually, and had to be ready when he called for her. In the mean time, she had other investigations to continue before her leads got any colder.

She went through her typical morning ritual, pausing to examine her scar. She had been unmarred up to that day. This would now serve as a constant reminder of her failings. No. She had kept her oath, given her life. If not for the timely arrival of the Coral Sea she would be dead. Shaking off these thoughts she finished getting ready, wearing her white dress rather than armor. It was time to find Natalie. There was unfinished business to discuss.

She affixed her beret and adjusted it, then turned to leave only to stop once more.

There was a knock at the door...

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 07-27-2014

From the desk of Ser Crofte, Sgt,
To Jenlyns, Cpt. - of Her Resplendence's Royal Guard
To Taeros, Jameson - requester of incident report

Regarding the inspection of high-level political prisoner, Ser Roen Deneith.
Sgt Crofte, inspecting officer on record.

I. Cell Conditions
- Cell has been kept clean. No moisture, cracks, or breaks in any foundations, walls, bars, windows, or locking mechanisms. Cell portal hinges are well oiled and swing free with no friction or noise.
- Bedding is changed no less than twice weekly, or as requested.
- Additional lighting requested by inmate. Provided in the form of matigek powered lantern with internal power source. Considered safe for use. Not a fire hazard, but could be used as blunt weapon if thrown.

II. Visitation
- Friends and acquaintances have been allowed during normal visiting bells through the day. All visitors are searched upon entering Gaols at the start. Personal guard has overseen all meetings, locking the cell promptly upon enter and exit of third party.
- Conversations are held at a tone loud enough to be heard by all, including guards on duty. If any silence is held for longer than thirty seconds, visual contact is promptly re-established.

III. Personal Effects
- No contraband, weapons, or items of malicious intent allowed on or around inmate's personage.
- Changes of clothes, writing materials, books, and flowers provided by friends.
- All letters sent personally inspected by officiating guard on duty, then sealed and delivered once secured. All replies inspected in same manner before delivered to inmate as required to preserve Palace security.

IV. Rights and Privileges
- Inmate is personally attended to by Ser Crofte upon each morning, and again every evening.
- Meals are received thrice daily at scheduled times.
- Privacy screen provided for matters of more personal nature.
- Inmate is to be treated at all times with respect. Violations to be reported to Ser Crofte for appropriate disciplinary action.

RE: Chronicles of a Sultansworn in (the) Heat [open] - Coatleque - 08-18-2014

She swirled the remaining wine in her glass. The red liquid lapped at the sides of the clear cup and slowly retreated back to a pool. The Knight sighed and leaned back from her desk, flimsy chair creaking loudly once more under the weight of her armor. Even she was amazed that it still held. She gripped an arm of the chair with one hand while rubbing her forehead with the other.

Another member of the Order was leaving. Pursuing his own code, as it were. The realization of just what it was the Order was made for had been too much for him, and the more she discussed it the more of a strain it left on the others as well. She had gone over it all with Sers Sadowyn and Filangieri, but the two had been of like mind and set against her. Blind zealotry. That is what they called her loyalty. And now, in her heart, she began to realize why she received this promotion; Why she was now in charge of the trial.

It was the separation of Paladin from Sultansworn. This was the problem... one that Captain Jenlyns should have considered more before opening the Order's training to random adventurers. Too many now were wandering Eorzea calling themselves Paladins, following their own codes and ideals. Too few now realize why the Order even existed. To serve and protect the line of Ul. It is what they had done for centuries now, and it is what those true Paladins would continue to do so long as Ul'dah continued to stand.

The question had arisen over the popularity of their current charge, Sultana Nanamo Ul'Namo. She seemed to follow a much gentler and just path than those of her predecessors, and many Paladins of today had been bolstered and encouraged by her spirit. But what if her dispositions soured? What if, Coatleque had argued, Her Grace became as ruthless as say, Sultan Sasagan Ul'Sisigan. The man who razed Sil'dih to the ground for a mere drink of water? Would they still remain with the Order? Could they still perform their duties?

Ser Filangieri could not. And true to his word, he decided to preempt ever having to make this choice by leaving the Order now. A knee-jerk reaction if ever she had seen. He was gone now though, remaining a Free-Paladin and able to live by his own code once more. He had placed the honor of his family's name over the duty of the Oath he had sworn. Still, Coatleque could not fault the man. If she still had family of her own she may be tempted. In her case, however, she had no one to hold her back.

Ser Sadowyn's ideals were much more disturbing to her. The woman had, in no uncertain words, stated that she would protect the city from any form of corrupting influence no matter what form that took. While Ser Filangieri's views were too narrow in Coatleque's eyes, Ser Sadowyn's were too broad. She knew now that if Nymeia intended for things to take that turn, their swords would be at each others necks. She shivered uncomfortably. The prospect of meeting the Azure Falcon in battle was not something she cared to visit.

Her thoughts drifted between the others. Would they be able to hold to their Oaths as well? Natalie? No question, or at least Coatleque had felt she would remain loyal. Kage? Possibly. He would follow whoever was stronger. Roen? No, she would leave as Bartolomeo had. Captain Mynheir? Unknown. And what of the others? So many faces she knew from the Palace. Could she turn her blade upon them in the name of her liege?

Coatleque leaned forward and took up her glass once more, downing what remained. These were not thoughts she should be dwelling on. Nanamo Ul'Namo was a right and just ruler, and the chances were they would all be dead or long retired before her heir would take the throne. She rose and took up her sword once more, strapping the scabbard around her waist. She had not a city, but a dynasty to defend.