Hydaelyn Role-Players
Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Choose: Good tank or good healer? (/showthread.php?tid=7480)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Ackermans - 06-25-2014

So, if you had to chose between having a good tank and a bad healer, or a bad tank and a good healer, which would you choose? Personally, I'd choose a good tank. Maybe that's the obvious choice, but maybe not.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Aerostein - 06-25-2014

Good tank, bad healer for me. Personally, I feel like a bad tank would wipe the group faster than a bad healer would. At least, in most cases. That's just my opinion though.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Crisiet - 06-25-2014

I'm actually going to go with a good healer. A bad tank is frustrating, but a good healer can keep up with damage taken by them and the dps.

No matter how great the tank is, if the healer is bad then everyone is going to die.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Whittledown - 06-25-2014

It's kind of a chicken and egg scenario.

Good tank/bad healer: Healer lets tank die, chaos follows, likely wipe.

Good healer/bad tank: Tank doesn't hold aggro over healer, healer dies, likely wipe.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Berrod Armstrong - 06-25-2014

I'd choose good tank/bad healer.

A good tank can set a decent pace to get the instance run over with as quickly as possible, and will likely be able to rotate his cooldowns to make up for some of the healers ineptitude. Hopefully the tank is -nice and patient- enough as well; frustrated tanks usually make runs a little less enjoyable! If we're lucky, maybe there'll be a caster in the group with a cure or physick who can help the healer out a little.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Warren Castille - 06-25-2014

I'm biased because I'm a tank (thereby not having to work with other tanks in DF very often) but I'd rather have a good tank. It's really six in one hand, half dozen in the other though. Tales of horrible wipes to Garuda Normal mode because the tank doesn't understand to avoid the pillars or because the healer doesn't know how to dodge mistral after dying to it a dozen times.

On some fights you can skirt by without one or the other. I've had numerous near-wipes at Isgebind that turned into wins after the healer died because of abusing the enormous hate-lead a good tank will have and then cure-bombing with convalesence up and stone-skinning remaining party members to mitigate Rime. I've also seen SCHs take down Coincounter with PVP tactics of sprint-dot-run after everybody died to 100-Tonze swing.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Tahzn Lhethi - 06-25-2014

Bad Tank/Good healer. All 4 man dungeons can be done without a tank at all. Most can be 2 manned, even. 

As for coil.. well.. post T4, a good tank and healer is pretty much necessary.
Extremes the same.

Although I want to say good tank because I'm an ok healer. :C

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - FreelanceWizard - 06-25-2014

I'll say it depends on the content. In the 4 player instances, especially below 40, I've done them all without a tank when the healer is good. Garuda HM is entirely doable with a bad healer if the tanks are on the ball and, of course, CT is largely dependent on tank and DPS skill.

However, Titan HM? Pharos? In fact, most of the HM instances? A good healer is far more important than a good tank in those, IMO.

Concretely, the choice is easy for me; if I'm healing, I want a good tank. If I'm tanking, I want a good healer. Smile

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Tahzn Lhethi - 06-25-2014

(06-25-2014, 08:51 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: However, Titan HM? Pharos? In fact, most of the HM instances? A good healer is far more important than a good tank in those, IMO.

I think more for these type of fights (Titan HM/Extremes), it's less dependant on the healers or tanks themselves. No amount of healing or excellent tanking can save you if you fall off or fail a one shot mechanic.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Coatleque - 06-25-2014

Good healer / Bad tank for sure.

What most people fail to realize is that aggro/threat/enmity is a two way street. If the tank is having trouble the DPS can always STOP and wait. That seldom happens though.

As long as the healer has mana and can keep up with the damage, a bad tank at least has some time make the effort. If they aren't at least making said effort, that's a separate issue entirely.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Sounsyy - 06-25-2014

Despite my main jobs being WAR/PLD, I also have an i90 SCH and WHM which I play regularly. And having done some veryyyyyyyy bad duty finder parties, I'm inclined to say Bad Tank/Good Healer.

I think with a roused Eos/Selene and six Lustrates a SCH can heal through just about any stupid mistake. Then again, the number of times I've ended up tanking, healing, and DPSing all at once as my SCH is incredible. Either because the tank couldn't hold hate, or stood in aoes, or refused to use buffs, etc. Eos is a surprisingly good tank as well, and whichever one of us gets the aggro, the other one will heal her through it.

(06-25-2014, 08:51 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Concretely, the choice is easy for me; if I'm healing, I want a good tank. If I'm tanking, I want a good healer. Smile

HA I second this.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Kage - 06-25-2014

I'm sorta biased but in terms of actually completing things..

I'd say a bad tank/good healer will win out. The healer can overcome the agro loss and bad tank with healing through it. The dps will eventually take down the healer's aggro'd mobs. They should anyway.

I'm not sure how well a good tank and bad healer will hold out when the bad healer can't heal well and everyone is dying. The tank would just die faster with keeping all the hate while potentially trying to heal himself or mitigate the damage dealt to him.

As BLM I like BOTH good heals and good tanks.
As PLD I like good heals because I think I'm a bad tank.

... My CNJ and ACN are only lvl16 so I can't comment on that.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Nebbs - 06-25-2014

For a safer run, good tank. This mainly keeps things in control.

For surviving, good healer, so they can compensate when it goes wrong.

However, for a lot of content I see eos healing and healer dpsing, especially with a good tank.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - Oscare - 06-25-2014

In my honest opinion, why not both? But I rest my case.I definitely say bad tank/good healer. Aggro can wait most of the time, damage doesn't wait for anyone. But at the same time, if a healer is healing TOO much, then THEY pull the aggro and will probably die very quickly due to low HP carried by healers -- especially in low leveled dungeons.

RE: Choose: Good tank or good healer? - K'nahli - 06-25-2014

After so many failed Garuda Extreme runs with randoms I can't help but think that a good tank is more necessary. I imagine a healer would be easier to educate if they kept failing plus the party can run off of a lone healer for at least a while afterwards, whereas off-tanks cannot sustain both roles in most trials.